As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy [chat]iversary Porp!

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ke$ha is my queer bestie's like favorite artist.

A new song / album would explain why his FB has asploded with more Ke$ha than normal.

Her songs are catchy af.

I find it hard to not listen to them.

Maybe I should give her a try.

I'll be completely honest. I saw the dollar sign in the name and immediate put her on "not for me" list.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have, over the past couple of years, signed maybe literally countless consent waivers regarding my medical history, to the point where I really stopped exercising any real degree of discernment with regards to how broadly I really ought to be sharing my medical history

But I was primary approaching it with the mindset and expectation that it would truncate many future conversations and weighed that against the risk that I'd unknowingly sign off on something that said "just publish that shit in the newspaper fam"

And so far it's worked out pretty well, as most things ultimately do for Narwhal

Now I understand why I got your medical history in the mail the other day.

You seemed passively curious, I figured I'd make it easier for ya

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    My friends have longboards which they preach religiously but one of my friends has one of those little penny skateboards and it seems quite convenient

one of my exes informed me excitedly about her penny board that we could have fun with in the park or something, in the last sentence she sent me that was not the breakup itself. The pain had nearly scabbed over and here you come, tearing it wide open again. How can you be so cruel, Eddy, to dredge up lost love.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    In not adorable news, girl never texted me back yesterday. *sigh*

Modern dating is the worst.

Lol yes

I went on 4 dates last week (with 3 people)

It is a shit

This one on Wednesday seemed to go well. She agreed to give me her number. She initiated the hug. And she said her phone was wonky but I wasn't worried. But who knows.

I have learned I can't read people at all anymore.

Just a blind man walking into walls.

I went on a date last week that went well you know, had a jolly time in the park drinking a bottle of rosé, had a nice kisses time, had a text me at the end of it

Had a second date that she seemed into, we laughed and talked a lot, but I dunno maybe I was weird because towards the end of it started to be more distant and got the quick hug goodbye

And the text a day later of you're super great but I think we should just be friends, lmk if you want to hang casually and *shrug*

lol I've been on so many fruitless dates over the last year
    Though I guess a lot of them because I wasn't feeling the other person, but then a ton of them with similar to above

So *shrug*

I need someone to set me up or something, this is exhausting

The last part literally has never happened to me.

My friends excuse straight up is, "well you seem to be doing fine on your own as you go on dates."

Yeah....

None of my friends know any single women. All the women we know are wives of our other friends.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh chat... who are our Japanese locals?

I'm going there next week and just figured I'd ask for any tips for me going there.

Current plan is Osaka > Kyoto > Sendai > Fox Village > Sapporo > Tokyo

Any must sees? Highly recommended things?

Stuff to know I may not have thought of?

Golden Gai and the High Rise district in Shinjuku. The first one in the late evening for drinking and food. The latter during the day, go to the top of the Tokyo Municipal building it is a great view.

Harajuku has a really neat park that is dedicated to Emperor Meiji. Also crepes. I guess lolita fashion if that is your thing.

Shibuya has some good bars? Tokyu Hands is an awesome store there.

You are a nerd so hit Akihabara once at least. It is interesting especially on the weekends.

For Kyoto I love Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji. But there are so many temples and stuff there hard to go wrong.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ke$ha is my queer bestie's like favorite artist.

A new song / album would explain why his FB has asploded with more Ke$ha than normal.

Her songs are catchy af.

I find it hard to not listen to them.

Maybe I should give her a try.

I'll be completely honest. I saw the dollar sign in the name and immediate put her on "not for me" list.

Her songs are actually pretty good, and catchy. Sometimes I confused her with Rihanna, like with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

I'm going there next week and just figured I'd ask for any tips for me going there.

Oh hey, I used to work in the town next door to the fox village! It's a pretty nice place, just mind the nippers.

When you're in Sendai, make sure you eat ox tongue and try some of the local sweets. Matsushima is a short train ride away and is one of the Three Great Sights of Japan according to Basho, and they do some delicious oysters there as well.

Sapporo, you need to try soup curry, it's absolutely legit. If you can spare the majority of a day to ride the trains, you should head down to the Ainu village/museum and check it out! There is also a sea port a shorter trip away which is well worth visiting for the historical connection it has with Russian trade, the craft breweries, and this one ice cream place which does pretty much anything you can think of - last time I was there I had a scoop of crab and another of squid ink ice cream

Awesome! This is exactly the kinda stuff I was looking for. I have made some notes for these!

Thank you!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I have, over the past couple of years, signed maybe literally countless consent waivers regarding my medical history, to the point where I really stopped exercising any real degree of discernment with regards to how broadly I really ought to be sharing my medical history

But I was primary approaching it with the mindset and expectation that it would truncate many future conversations and weighed that against the risk that I'd unknowingly sign off on something that said "just publish that shit in the newspaper fam"

And so far it's worked out pretty well, as most things ultimately do for Narwhal

Now I understand why I got your medical history in the mail the other day.

You seemed passively curious, I figured I'd make it easier for ya

I appreciate your empathy.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Or, well. "lost love". A more honest phrasing might be "that time when I was kind of a dick".

Still though. Unwelcome reminder that personal revelations - "I guess I'm more of an asshole than I thought I was" - are hard to forget. Luckily, I just bought beer.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Nobody has dvds any more. It's not 1992

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm ok, there are some affordable longboards, or a penny skateboard. It is mostly for transport, but the transport's not actually -that- far, so I'm kind of ambivalent and it might be worth the skateboard just for something slightly smaller to put in the car.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm ok, there are some affordable longboards, or a penny skateboard. It is mostly for transport, but the transport's not actually -that- far, so I'm kind of ambivalent and it might be worth the skateboard just for something slightly smaller to put in the car.

You could get one of them folding bikes

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) is skippable, personally, but you never look it at the same way after reading the Mishima novel

Kiyomizudera is well worth seeing in Kyoto, along with Fushimi Inari

Are you going to have time to hit up Hiroshima? If so, get the local okonomiyaki (it's way better than the Osaka style) and visit the bomb museum for a real kick in the teeth

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Die Young is a really, really solid pop song.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

• Options
    I do, of course, unfairly benefit from the fact that my medical history is basically wall-to-wall awesome

Just an archive of poorly assembled parts that had to be reconstructed, sometimes literally, sometimes metaphorically

Punctuated occasionally with the strange entry that makes you think "I'm clearly reading an obituary" but then you find out I'm still alive and it's just even more awesome

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Morning [chat]!

*skitters away, morlockishly*

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Golden Gai and the High Rise district in Shinjuku. The first one in the late evening for drinking and food. The latter during the day, go to the top of the Tokyo Municipal building it is a great view.

Harajuku has a really neat park that is dedicated to Emperor Meiji. Also crepes. I guess lolita fashion if that is your thing.

You are a nerd so hit Akihabara once at least. It is interesting especially on the weekends.

For Kyoto I love Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji. But there are so many temples and stuff there hard to go wrong.

Also noted! Our Kyoto portion is during Gion Matsuri (thus the reason we are there in the summer despite the heat) so much of our time will be dedicated to that for those days. And yes Akihabara and Harajuku are certainly on the current plan.

Have noted the Shinjuku stuff!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I do, of course, unfairly benefit from the fact that my medical history is basically wall-to-wall awesome

Just an archive of poorly assembled parts that had to be reconstructed, sometimes literally, sometimes metaphorically

Punctuated occasionally with the strange entry that makes you think "I'm clearly reading an obituary" but then you find out I'm still alive and it's just even more awesome

You are, in fact, an undead narwhal.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) is skippable, personally, but you never look it at the same way after reading the Mishima novel

Kiyomizudera is well worth seeing in Kyoto, along with Fushimi Inari

Are you going to have time to hit up Hiroshima? If so, get the local okonomiyaki (it's way better than the Osaka style) and visit the bomb museum for a real kick in the teeth

If you have the Japan Rail pass you can day trip from Kyoto/Osaka to Hiroshima and Himeji on the Shinkansen.

Himeji is worth the trip for the castle.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

the downside of moving out of your old apt in traveling by dirigible is no longer a viable option

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2017

Hmm

That seems like a bit of overkill, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    In not adorable news, girl never texted me back yesterday. *sigh*

Modern dating is the worst.

Lol yes

I went on 4 dates last week (with 3 people)

It is a shit

This one on Wednesday seemed to go well. She agreed to give me her number. She initiated the hug. And she said her phone was wonky but I wasn't worried. But who knows.

I have learned I can't read people at all anymore.

Just a blind man walking into walls.

I went on a date last week that went well you know, had a jolly time in the park drinking a bottle of rosé, had a nice kisses time, had a text me at the end of it

Had a second date that she seemed into, we laughed and talked a lot, but I dunno maybe I was weird because towards the end of it started to be more distant and got the quick hug goodbye

And the text a day later of you're super great but I think we should just be friends, lmk if you want to hang casually and *shrug*

lol I've been on so many fruitless dates over the last year
    Though I guess a lot of them because I wasn't feeling the other person, but then a ton of them with similar to above

So *shrug*

I need someone to set me up or something, this is exhausting

The last part literally has never happened to me.

My friends excuse straight up is, "well you seem to be doing fine on your own as you go on dates."

Yeah....

None of my friends know any single women. All the women we know are wives of our other friends.

Oh my friends know plenty. DC is more single women than men. And my friend group is 27-34 here mostly.

But they quiet seriously said to me, "Oh you do fine on your own."

And I am like, "What? I have had one significant other really in 4 years of living here." Obviously large amounts of bad first dates aren't really a measure of doing well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Have you considered skipping

I'm a major skipping advocate

• Options

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

the downside of moving out of your old apt in traveling by dirigible is no longer a viable option

omg I never thought of this

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I did 5 5 10 of 225 Squats and I'm basically dead

tyrannus on
  • Options

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

This is the most tragic thing I've ever heard

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    According to my bro Ghibli museum in Mitaka is good times if you are a Ghibli person

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Skipping, you say

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Morning, chat!

*hauls in Armada collection so it doesn't bake in the sun*
    *turns desk fan on full blast, fuck the haters. *

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Also noted! Our Kyoto portion is during Gion Matsuri (thus the reason we are there in the summer despite the heat) so much of our time will be dedicated to that for those days. And yes Akihabara and Harajuku are certainly on the current plan.

Have noted the Shinjuku stuff!

If you have time Ueno has the national museum. On top of the zoo.

Zoo has red pandas and is a neat zoo.

The museum has all the shit Japan looted from Asia.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    According to my bro Ghibli museum in Mitaka is good times if you are a Ghibli person

Here is my review of the Ghibli museum:

closed on Tuesday, all exhibits are nonetheless inside, 1 star

• Options
    edited July 2017

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

This is the most tragic thing I've ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPq66NIXUVE

Six on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Oh, and when it comes to ramen, if I can dig up the name of the place in Sapporo where I had the best ramen of my life, I'll pass it your way. It was made with wild Hokkaido garlic and had a lil' omelette in it, delicious, but really hard to find without good directions. Otherwise, when you're in Sapporo you need to get a miso ramen (it's where it was invented) but avoid the ones with butter or corn on top, that's tourist flash and zero substance

• Options
  • Options

Or a razor scooter.

Or a hoverboard!

Or a dogsled

omg I never thought of this

too late now!

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

They brew beer there!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

You are, in fact, an undead narwhal.

AuTIylH.jpg

• Options
    Skipping, you say

Has anyone in the history of humanity messed with a person who was skipping

Also, enjoyable way to traverse short-to-medium distances

This discussion has been closed.