As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    152jf24ipf59.jpg

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So next Season, should I go hunter or Wizard? I've seen some of you in action with Hunters already and you had an easier time than I did in the higher GR's, mostly because you can avoid most the damage (or so it seemed).

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    DH's are pretty good, but depending on the build can be super squish.

Condemn Crusader is actually tankier and does more damage, can solo higher GRs. DHs have an advantage over Crusaders for speeds I would think, and definitely in the case of speed T13. DH's are totally fine at solo GRs though, even if they can't go as high as crusaders.

Wizard is my personal favourite class, always has been. They have good speed builds (Tals Explosive Blast, Lightning Vyrs) and good push builds (Tal or Firebird Meteor).

Next season is actually the ideal season to start as either class - Wizards get Tal's and DH's get UE as their free set. Both are ideal for starting.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Can't go wrong either way. Wizards are great soloing and can tank harder than the DH solo. The DH is great for both, but yeah getting above 100s takes more paragon and lots more augmenting of gear.

UE set starting is a great way to speed through rifts and helping in groups. I like Tals better since it can take a whole lot of hits thanks to their shields and can solo really easy. DH I always use autocasting to keep Vengence up.

But yeah, I can't recommend one over the other since I like both classes. I just tend to stick with DH since I'm lazy and it is easier for me to remember what I need. HAHAHAHAHA.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

Condemn Crusader is actually tankier and does more damage, can solo higher GRs. DHs have an advantage over Crusaders for speeds I would think, and definitely in the case of speed T13. DH's are totally fine at solo GRs though, even if they can't go as high as crusaders.

Wizard is my personal favourite class, always has been. They have good speed builds (Tals Explosive Blast, Lightning Vyrs) and good push builds (Tal or Firebird Meteor).

Next season is actually the ideal season to start as either class - Wizards get Tal's and DH's get UE as their free set. Both are ideal for starting.

Well, as far as my Crusader goes, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. For instance today I loaded into T13 since the Season says go kill Izual. I land in heaven and make my way in a bit. Aftera bit of fighting something hits me and triggers Prophet on my Champion form. I shrug it off and keep going. Something offscreen drops 1 meteor on me and triggers Indestructable and befoer I fire off an attack to get some life back I get hit and die. I don't know what the scaling of items looks like further along but if I'm not holding a 10000 DPS weapon (compared to my 3000 DPS now) and a similar stat boost on all my armor, I don't see where the gap fills in. I did all the rerolled stats as Noggin suggested (I forgot to write down what to do the chestpiece), and I did get a bit tougher, but not enough to stand up to T13. I doubt I could reroll perfectly and make up the deficit.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I apologize for these questions since are easy ones, but it might help a ton with you staying alive.

1) Are you taking a follower?
    2) Does your follower have a Unity and the token/thing that says, "Follower cannot die" or something like that? (Templar Relics, Scoundrel Token, Enchantress Focus)
    3) Are you wearing your Unity?

The answers are probably yes, but I have to ask since I often forget to take my follower when running my Wizard and die because of that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm not good with the Crusader(or any of the melee classes really) so I can empathize with the struggle. The game can be frustrating on lower torment levels because you need better gear but it comes so slowly. Then you finally get the 2 or 3 pieces you needed to make the build work and bam! You're doing T10. But before then it's a slog. I was greatly amused when they turned the Barbarian's furious charge skill into a set. I'm thinking to myself I was using that build before it was a thing because my gear sucked and the only way I could stay alive was never standing still long enough to get hit by anything. I used to wonder how I'd ever be able to survive even with perfect gear but somehow it works out. The gear and the stats start to fall in place, your paragon levels go up, gem levels go up, and the next thing you know you're pushing through a level 80 grift when 50s used to seem impossible.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I apologize for these questions since are easy ones, but it might help a ton with you staying alive.

1) Are you taking a follower?
    2) Does your follower have a Unity and the token/thing that says, "Follower cannot die" or something like that? (Templar Relics, Scoundrel Token, Enchantress Focus)
    3) Are you wearing your Unity?

The answers are probably yes, but I have to ask since I often forget to take my follower when running my Wizard and die because of that.

I only have 1 unity right now, haven't seen a second in all this time. If I were to play with other people it wouldn't do my any good anyway.

Just gambled some shields and got Fry's Wrath, so now I can do the Condemn Build at least.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    A huge, huge part of scaling your character is getting the legendaries with skill boosts.

Like condemn for example, the sword is like a 7-9x damage multiplier on a single target, but like 27x against a group. Add that the shield is another 7-9x and it’s up to 243x stronger.

Some classes can get pretty far on just set bonuses, but crusader is one where the flail/shield pairs are really required for T13+.

Survival wise, I can take a look later and offer other tips. I think you had rubies in chest and legs? Diamonds would help a lot because strength and dexterity characters have low resistances without them.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »

Well, as far as my Crusader goes, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. For instance today I loaded into T13 since the Season says go kill Izual. I land in heaven and make my way in a bit. Aftera bit of fighting something hits me and triggers Prophet on my Champion form. I shrug it off and keep going. Something offscreen drops 1 meteor on me and triggers Indestructable and befoer I fire off an attack to get some life back I get hit and die. I don't know what the scaling of items looks like further along but if I'm not holding a 10000 DPS weapon (compared to my 3000 DPS now) and a similar stat boost on all my armor, I don't see where the gap fills in. I did all the rerolled stats as Noggin suggested (I forgot to write down what to do the chestpiece), and I did get a bit tougher, but not enough to stand up to T13. I doubt I could reroll perfectly and make up the deficit.

can you link your bnet profile?

• Options
    https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/ubergeek-1105/hero/103606132

There you go. Need CDR on the other ring, but ran out of Death's breath.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah ok, so hopefully you can find another unity to help with your toughness. I think that is what Crusader needs to solo right guys (I have no idea, sorry)?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Ah ok, so hopefully you can find another unity to help with your toughness. I think that is what Crusader needs to solo right guys (I have no idea, sorry)?

I know it certainly helps.

Also, I just realized something, if those of you that play Crusaders can link your profiles so I can look at -your- gear and see why my gear is lacking, I think I might be able to fix it that way. Right now I'm out of DB's and I need to switch one stat from fire damage to holy and get cdr on my other ring. From there I can start changing things. I just changed my free Blessed Shield with #12% increease, 496% to the first enemy it hits and 9 bounces total to Holy from Fire, which will bounce again. If this works the way I think it should I'd have somewhere between 9-12 bounces and everytime I hit something with Holy I heal 1%. Then there's insta Condemn for over 1700% damage and If I hit stuff with that I get 1% for every guy around me.

Maybe my problem was sticking with combust on the shield throw?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Noggin-1936/hero/43477859

That’s mine, but it’s currently setup for DB farming so ignore the helm/boots.

String of ears is something you can work toward using when you have enough CDR from other sources.

Bane of the stricken is probably not much help to you, and is really only worth it when rift guardians take a while to kill. Gogok of Swiftness at 25 would help with cdr for now, or bane of the powerful would be some damage, and toughness against elites.

Another thought occurred to me- we can’t see your paragon but that might be an area you can improve.

Normally you’d go 25% movespeed then all strength, but right now your vitality is SO low I’d put your paragon there until you can get vit back on your gear.

Next tab will be max cdr, max crit hit damage, crit change, and ignore attack speed until p600+.

Next tab.. max all resist, max vitality, fill armor, life regen last.

Last tab.. max area damage and resource cost reduction, put points in life on hit, ignore gold find.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Are there many good builds for the season monk set? Almost everyone seems to use either sunwuko or ulianna’s

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You can always look at the season leaderboards and inspect their gear.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I want to take the time to thanks Bets, Zero, Klatu and Bull today as they all swapped in and out to get me Destroyer, as well as all the parts for the condemn build. I'm still pretty damn squishy but I can at least do some damage now. The extra stash tab is in reach, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to solo the GR or augment an artifact with a lv 50 gem in time.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    You are welcome! Always happy to help people who want the help. We can run lower rifts up to 60 to get the level 50 gem to augment easy. The solo GR would be on you unfortunately, but with one augment it should be easier.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    So I died once, but I got the Solo GR done in under 7 minutes. Torment 13 is still a bit much for my gear. I need 3 55 gems (but I have to put a 50 into an item so technically 4), do a second Conquest this afternoon, and I'd need help to killl Butcher in under 30 seconds on T13. Then I have a stash tab and I can stop torturing myself.

EDIT Nevermind, I killed Butcher (no one is more surprised than I am right now). Just alot of level grinding to do now.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So I died once, but I got the Solo GR done in under 7 minutes. Torment 13 is still a bit much for my gear. I need 3 55 gems (but I have to put a 50 into an item so technically 4), do a second Conquest this afternoon, and I'd need help to killl Butcher in under 30 seconds on T13. Then I have a stash tab and I can stop torturing myself.

EDIT Nevermind, I killed Butcher (no one is more surprised than I am right now). Just alot of level grinding to do now.

You have to remember that what you have done in the last week or so usually is done over a month or more solo play. So for you to be this close and already doing T13 is not bad.

Or over a weekend if you play the Friday a new season starts. Hahahahahahahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Well hopefully I'll be able to play with some of you guys at the start of the season, since I don't have to experience the campaign this time. Also, I did everything except the Conquest, which rolls over in about 40 minutes. I'm going to get my stash tab.

Edit Oh yeah, what 2 parts of Sages am I supposed to make again?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Rolls over in 40 minutes? I thought the season ends like next week or so.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Whichever 2 bits you want. I usually do boots and gloves, but boots and helm would work too. Actually, if I switched my guy to helm, i'd get more dps in farm mode.... hmm

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Well, it appears I've been robbed of my victory for at least a week. It says Complete 2 Conquests this season. I did the one last week, and I just did this one. It didn't pop. Every other one of these works retroactively, but no, not this one. =(

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Rolls over in 40 minutes? I thought the season ends like next week or so.

EDIT Oh God! It's Conquests not Challenge Rift! I have one Conquest done, I need to see if there's another I can do fast. I am so dumb.

I either need to level 3 Gems to 65 or solo a 75 GR.......I'm going to try and do the rift, but I might need some of you guys to help me farm out another........30 gem levels or so before the end of the season.

Double EDIT I did it! I died 3 times but I got through a GR 75.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Ahhh, yeah the Challenge Rift changes every Monday. Right, now I gotcha.

Yeah we can help with the 65 gems, that is the fun part running 75s is much faster/easier than running 85s.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ahhh, yeah the Challenge Rift changes every Monday. Right, now I gotcha.

Yeah we can help with the 65 gems, that is the fun part running 75s is much faster/easier than running 85s.

I finished it, the last set of quests means I have to cube 20 more things and that's more grinding. I can live without it and I'll maybe try for full completion next season. I might make a Hunter and mess around with it to get a feel for the next season.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The trick to playing DH is to group with Betsuni who will shower you with primal ancient yangs

• Options
    The trick to playing DH is to group with Betsuni who will shower you with primal ancient yangs

You forgot to add in you have to complain all the time that you aren't getting any primals as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I want to take the time to thanks Bets, Zero, Klatu and Bull today as they all swapped in and out to get me Destroyer, as well as all the parts for the condemn build. I'm still pretty damn squishy but I can at least do some damage now. The extra stash tab is in reach, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to solo the GR or augment an artifact with a lv 50 gem in time.

Agreed, I went from being just shy of able to run condemn to having the full kit and something like 100-200 paragon levels. And finally got the damn follower trinket so he stops dying. Not sure I'll complete destroyer before the season end but that was a lot of fun (also I'm definitely going DH next season after watching zero murderate everything in sight.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

Agreed, I went from being just shy of able to run condemn to having the full kit and something like 100-200 paragon levels. And finally got the damn follower trinket so he stops dying. Not sure I'll complete destroyer before the season end but that was a lot of fun (also I'm definitely going DH next season after watching zero murderate everything in sight.

Quoting myself, as apparently that wasn't so hard once you get the hang of condemn - leveled up 3 gems to 55, soloed a 75 GR and boom conq. done, stash tab GET. Thanks again guys, would definitely not have had time to grind out all that gear/levels/conquests otherwise.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options

Quoting myself, as apparently that wasn't so hard once you get the hang of condemn - leveled up 3 gems to 55, soloed a 75 GR and boom conq. done, stash tab GET. Thanks again guys, would definitely not have had time to grind out all that gear/levels/conquests otherwise.

Great work! Condemn takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but once you have the CDR requirements and the key items it is actually quite fun and easy.

• Options
    Klatu wrote: »

Great work! Condemn takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but once you have the CDR requirements and the key items it is actually quite fun and easy.

Yeah I'm close, I'm at like 45ish% CDR so I have to run away periodically and await the return of AC, but soloing 75 was actually pretty cake.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular

Yeah I'm close, I'm at like 45ish% CDR so I have to run away periodically and await the return of AC, but soloing 75 was actually pretty cake.

There's a belt (Vigilante belt maybe?) that can roll with CDR that's a good filler item until you reach it with other items. Also, aggressively enchanting even good affixes to replace them with CDR feels weird but is generally correct for this build. Getting that 100% uptime makes such a huge difference it's worth giving up a few % crit strike or whatever.

• Options
    So today's dumb question. Tested a Hunter up to around 23, and the rares and elites were giving me alot of trouble. I got Leoric's crown as a drop off of Haedrig's wife, so I even had an early little boost. Using Deadset's build guide for leveling, I felt kinda weak compared to the crusader in the damage department. I started on Master and knocked it down to Hard after some time. Should I be dual wielding, or one with a quiver?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So today's dumb question. Tested a Hunter up to around 23, and the rares and elites were giving me alot of trouble. I got Leoric's crown as a drop off of Haedrig's wife, so I even had an early little boost. Using Deadset's build guide for leveling, I felt kinda weak compared to the crusader in the damage department. I started on Master and knocked it down to Hard after some time. Should I be dual wielding, or one with a quiver?

Leveling you should stick with whatever does more damage. If that means 2 hand crossbows go with that. Or the quiver and weapon. But the best is to use whatever legendary quiver and it's power. That usually helps killing things easier. I remember using the rapid fire like crazy leveling as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I really feel, given the current state of the game that testing a class requires them to be lvl 70 with a set or two. Getting a feel for how the class plays at end game. You can get a vague idea of how a class plays while leveling it up, but, take the witch doctor for instance. The class plays totally different when you're max level and have a set. Jade set is about the best way to describe how a WD plays while leveling. Multishot for DH, it feels underwhelming until you get Unhallowed Essence and Yangs/DML.

Just my thoughts.

WRT to your question, in most cases for most classes, using the biggest slowest 2h weapon (bow or xbow in DHs case) is your best bet. The benefit for the DH being, you get a nice big damage bow or xbow and get to use the quiver as well.

• Options
    Seems yesterday was the first four-player GR150 clear in a season, which in theory sounds kind of cool, but mostly just highlights how incredibly different that level of play is.

Like, after grinding over five thousand paragon levels and fishing GRs for an open map with an illusionist maggot brood champion (monsters summoned by clones give progress), they had the distinct pleasure of... watching a macro play someone's wizard for them... against that single pack... for 10 minutes... then dragging Bloodmaw into a corridor for another 4. :zzz:

• Options
    I really feel, given the current state of the game that testing a class requires them to be lvl 70 with a set or two. Getting a feel for how the class plays at end game. You can get a vague idea of how a class plays while leveling it up, but, take the witch doctor for instance. The class plays totally different when you're max level and have a set. Jade set is about the best way to describe how a WD plays while leveling. Multishot for DH, it feels underwhelming until you get Unhallowed Essence and Yangs/DML.

Just my thoughts.

WRT to your question, in most cases for most classes, using the biggest slowest 2h weapon (bow or xbow in DHs case) is your best bet. The benefit for the DH being, you get a nice big damage bow or xbow and get to use the quiver as well.

Well, it was more of a getting a feel for the progression. Like right now it -seems- like I shouldn't try to play anything over Hard because my single target damage is garbage when a pack of anything that isn't a trash mob comes at me, I spend most of my time tumbling back and forth where with my Crusader could just murder them. I realize it gets better but even with Eykanhaz's help last night I'm still doing wet noodle damage since most of the hatred generators are around 200% damage where the crusader can pick a wider range of percentages. I'm trying to make good use of grenades right now, but I feel like with the legendaries and epics I got from Ey helping some of us get rare wings last night, I am overgeared and still feel weak.

I'll give a short run on some other classes, if the Sun set from Monk was up next I'd probably go Monk. Trying a bit of everything is fun if nothing else.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    IMO Hard is the best for early levelling (the reward is greater than the difficulty increase), while Expert is never worth it, and Master is sometimes worth it.

You only really want to get into Master+ when you have access to things like a big ruby in your weapon, skill-boosting legendaries, or a reduced level requirement weapon from the blacksmith, because then Hard is going to be way too easy.