As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Bounties were already the best way to farm for mats though (except for DBs) so now it is even more lucrative.

This is better than double goblins.

One full t13 bounty clear gave you 16x bounty mats right? For a total of 3x possible rerolls of a legendary item? So now one t13 bounty clear gives you 6x rerolls. That is really good.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nice. Double bounty rewards are not bad at all.

Conquests SUCK! Guess I'm going Avarice, Thrill, and Boss Mode. Pass on 8 set mastery dungeons.

Well that cemented my decision of running a DH. Mwuahahahahaha!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Man they're really not trying very hard on these. When they said they would do more with seasons I was sort of holding out some naive hope that they would put a little bit more energy into renewing D3 enthusiasm as a lead-in to whatever's next. But in today's era of games-as-a-service, this level of support is basically nothing.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    d3 is still a game crawling by on life support, despite the other projects that blizzard has in development for the IP

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I could see WD being pretty good for those conquests too, but with double bounties and the starter DH set being UE...

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Zek wrote: »
    Man they're really not trying very hard on these. When they said they would do more with seasons I was sort of holding out some naive hope that they would put a little bit more energy into renewing D3 enthusiasm as a lead-in to whatever's next. But in today's era of games-as-a-service, this level of support is basically nothing.

This indicates they may do mini-things in it (maybe Halloween stuff?):
    In addition to doubling up your Horadric spoils, other celebrations may spring up across the globe that celebrate the nature of this theme! Be sure to keep a close eye on Twitter and Facebook for more information as we move into Season 15!

*edit - however I do agree, it certainly seems like they could do more than what little they are.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Last season it was giveaways for diablo themed consoles.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Last season it was giveaways for diablo themed consoles.

I wanted one they looked sick :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Well, looks like it's The Trill, Boss Mode, and Avarice for this seasons low hanging conquest fruit.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    The only problem with "The Thrill" is that we're gonna see absolute garbage challenge rifts all season long.

I'll still start Necro for something different, but I have a feeling I should start DH and move across..

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Klatu wrote: »
    The only problem with "The Thrill" is that we're gonna see absolute garbage challenge rifts all season long.

I'll still start Necro for something different, but I have a feeling I should start DH and move across..

The benefit of starting DH is you can just follow behind Bets and Zero and pick up all their castoffs and good but not perfect ancients. :D

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »

The benefit of starting DH is you can just follow behind Bets and Zero and pick up all their castoffs and good but not perfect ancients. :D

Indeed, they got me a full shadow set with supporting legendaries in one night. :+1:

I’ll do similar for anyone that wants wizard/int leftovers

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I plan to go Wizard this time.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm going wizard for sure. Dunno when exactly im going to start up though. Maybe friday, maybe the weekend, maybe the following week.

• Options
    HexDex wrote: »

Yep! Although Zero is still waffling between DH and Wiz.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Is there a group I should join? A few of my friends have the game but none play regularly.

• Options
    On the launch day of new season, just ask in clan chat if anyone has room for you as they may be still trying to acquire 6 piece set. After 2nd day just ask and most people are happy to help with anything. After the first week most can help you get your full set and a lot of the season journey.

• Options
    Is there a group I should join? A few of my friends have the game but none play regularly.

Are you in the clan? There are usually people on to play with. It does taper off after the first week of the season, but just ask here and people will try to join you.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I joined the community but not the clan because i can't figure out how. Likely someone will have to aid me.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    When you are on, see if one of the officers can invite you to the clan. Or just post here what your in-game name is and someone here will get you set up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Diplominator (#1837, I dunno if it needs that part).

Thanks for the assist!

• Options
    IT IS DONE

08lwtf1pw7ra.jpg

6/7, just DH left now, woooooo

• Options
    So we will not be on Friday night at start for the first time in a few seasons. Might be on late that night or Saturday.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Firstly, GRATS Noggin!

Secondly... oh shit .. my PL... looks like I may be able to return the favor for the first time in a while if I can get there in time.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    My son is all hype for the new season. We'll probably just run Act1 story for a bit on Friday and then hopefully one of you guys can PL us on Sat. I'm gonna go wizard for first one my son is waffling between crusader and barb both of which don't have good starter sets this season sadly.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Barbarian actually has one of its better starter sets this season. The only problem with wastes is that it relies too heavily on either tons of RCR or 2 two-sword sets - bul kathos blades or slanderer/little rogue. BK swords are easier to get and BK with enough cooldown it's easy 75 conquest.

• Options
    Seasonal reminder to save your challenge rift for Friday night or the weekend, if you want the reward to jumpstart your season.

It's a Blood Mage Necro that's sorta trolly because of missing gear, but doesn't seem too bad. Remember to Blood Rush through packs of monsters to heal yourself, and there's a channeling and shield pretty early on that you can grab.

• Options
    Quick video of the challenge rift for this week. Don't watch if you want to figure it out for yourself.

Reminder, don't do the rift just yet if you are doing seasons and want the 4mil gold boost and blood shards.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Early last season there were a bunch of people asking "How do you people progress so fast?", or expressing frustration that they were stuck in the lower difficulties, so that kinda stuck in the back of my mind for a while. So I wanted to share my thoughts about what the differences may be and invite others to chime in.

Chapters 2-4 are priority #1
    Drops, including resources like blood shards and death's breaths, start out real slow and random and only become more common by raising the difficulty. Haedrigs Gift isn't random at all, so focusing on getting your pieces as soon as possible makes a big difference. If you keep an eye on the first four boss objectives, run any 5 bounties, get your cube, and max your artisans it's possible to get your first two pieces the exact moment you hit 70.

At 70, go for the most important enchants on your RARE items
    Enchanting is a great way to improve your damage and toughness, and enchanting rares does not use up your death's breaths! You can go up another 1-2 torment levels just by having the right enchants. Certain slots are better for damage, while others are better for toughness:
    Damage enchants on: Helm & offhands ( crit ), Amulets* ( crit hit dmg ), Gloves & Rings* ( crit / chd ), Bracers ( ele dmg % / cc), Weapon ( socket > dmg % )
    Toughness enchants on: Shoulder, Chest, Pants, Boots, and Belt... All res** for Str/Dex classes, Armor for Int classes.

* Once you get legendary gems, sockets become the single most important stat on rings, and eventually amulets. Early on, CHD on neck is just too valuable compared to an unleveled gem.
    ** All Res will not be an option on gear that already has a secondary resist. Hit the '?' to see what else is good, like Life % or a skill damage increase.

By only enchanting rares, you can quickly cube a legendary weapon
    After artisans are maxed, save the rest of your DBs until you have at least 25 and can upgrade a rare weapon. By choosing the right type of weapon, odds are good that you'll have something useful and can then start splitting your DBs between enchants, more attempts at rare weapon upgrades, and occasionally converting some of your duplicate set items. The latter is a good way to transition into a different set than the starting one, and also a decent way for Wizards to eventually get a better Tal's amulet.

Prioritize your blood shards
    Kadala has varying costs and varying results, so it's best to use her to fill in your non-set armor first. For the most part that means offhands, bracers, and a belt. Wizards will need to go for shoulders instead of belts, and even though the set has an offhand you'll still want to gamble on those for one that actually boosts skills. (Etched Sigil, Triumvirate, Orb of Infinite Depth, etc.)

Replace all your rares before going after specific items. Rings can be and often are worth it, but amulets are really, really not... just wait for one.

Note that the challenge rift reward helps with every previous point!
    It's something like 4 million gold, 10 DBs, 15 of each bounty mat, and 450 blood shards... even if you don't do it right away before leveling, it helps SO much in those early chapters.

Also note that this creates concurrent, somewhat-overlapping progression paths. Use resources carefully!
    The Journey gives you your set, enchants boost your stats, DBs get you weapons, and blood shards let you pursue your set-supporting skill boosts. Being careful about the overlap (too many enchants slows down weapons, and vice versa), and learning to prioritize the slots that can boost your skills, makes you more efficient with your resources and speeds up progression.

Season 15 class specific advice:
    Spoilered because this is already a pretty long post, but this would be my recommendation for how to use all of your starting resources for each class, including some starting skills, level 1 gambling opportunities, and my opinions on how to spend DBs and shards (after replacing all non-Neck rares):
    Barbarian
    Free set: Wrath of the Wastes
    Skills boosted: Rend to start with, but eventually just Whirlwind around dual wielding fast weapons.

Lvl 1 gambling: Can get Band of Might for toughness, or bracers to make use of Slam/Hammer damage.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Shoulder or Rings. Mantle of Channeling will help in the cube, but you really need to get a Skull Grasp and Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac. Wait on belts: Kadala is split between regular and mighty and Pride of Cassius won't help as much without Obsidian Ring.

Death's Breath priority: 1h Mighty weapons and Rings. You mainly want the Bul'Kathos blades, but again... you really need Skull Grasp. After you have BK set and your rings, you can try to get Furnace for your cube.
    Crusader
    Free set: Roland's Legacy
    Skills boosted: Mainly Sweep Attack, based on supporting items, but also Shield Bash.

Lvl 1 gambling: Shields. Denial boosts Sweep Attack damage, Guard of Johanna would boost hammer while leveling.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Shields. Still for Denial. It's split like barb belts, but it's so important so you gotta go for it anyway.

Death's Breath priority: 2h Flails. Golden Flense boosts Sweep Attack.
    Demon Hunter
    Free set: Unhallowed Essence
    Skills boosted: Generators, Multishot.

Discipline: Once you have the full set your damage increases per point of Discipline, so this becomes VERY important in a few ways:
    - Selecting the skill 'Preparation - Invigoration' passively adds 20 discipline, so that's nearly 65% more damage for free
    - You can also get 9-12 Discipline on your Cloak, Bow, and Quiver as a secondary stat, for up to 36 more. Even worst case that's another 53% damage.
    - This means Discipline now your best stat on those items and the top priority, even above primary stats.
    - Finally, note that the bonus is based on current Discipline, not the max. So anytime you start draining it with too many vaults, click your Prep skill and get some back.

Lvl 1 gambling: Wraps of Clarity bracers for toughness, Hellcat Waistguard for grenades
    Lvl 70 gambling: Quivers and Bracers. Dead Man's Legacy with Discipline as a secondary. Getting Spines of Seething Hatred isn't bad to start with, UE will boost chakram damage with this equipped. Bracers next for Wraps of Clarity/Nemesis.

Death's Breath priority: Bows. Yang's Recurve with Discipline secondary.
    Monk
    Free set: Raiment of a Thousand Storms
    Skills boosted: Mainly generators, but also Dashing Strike.

Lvl 1 gambling: Crudest boots are nice for extra spirit with the air ally, but bracers can help leveling - gungdo gear for exploding palm or pinto's pride for wave of light.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Bracers and Pants. Spirit Guard bracers have damage reduction, Depth Digger pants for generator damage, either cubed or worn with the ring of royal grandeur from act 1 bounties.

Death's Breath priority: Fists - Shenlong's set for damage, a few that affect Dashing strike in the meantime.
    Necromancer
    Free set: Bones of Rathma
    Skills boosted: Pets, mainly mages. Bone Spikes - Sudden Impact will benefit from Reilena's and Krysbin's.

Lvl 1 gambling: Rings - Circle of Nailuj doublecasts mages, so it's a huge boon. Make a level 1 alt if you need to and keep trying, you can extract the power to the cube so the level won't matter.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Phylacteries & Rings... Belts & Gloves. Get any legendary phylactery just to have the higher damage. Dayntee's Binding belt if you are lacking toughness, but the Circle of Nailuj and Krysbin's Sentence rings are both crucial for your damage. Tasker and Theo gloves are good for damage as well.

Death's Breath priority: 1h Scythes, followed by 2h. TragOul's Fang is good, Scythe of the Cycle with Bone Armor is better. Get one or the other then switch to 2h Scythes for Reilena's Shadowhook, then get +Max Essence from paragon, the passive, and weapon+offhand enchants if you can.
    Witch Doctor
    Free set: Helltooth Harness
    Skills boosted: A lot... mainly pets and Wall of Death.

Lvl 1 gambling: nothing really available.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Mojo, Helms, Rings...Bracers & Gloves. Any mojo first, but Uhkapian Serpent and Henri's Perquisition are best for toughness. Helms for Mask of Jeram, then rings for Short Man's Finger and tons of Gargantuan damage. Lakumba's bracers are some toughness, more so after you get the Sacred Harvester knife. And just like necro, Tasker and Theo for pet damage.

Death's Breath priority: Ceremonial Knives, Rings, & Voodoo Masks. Extra Soul Harvest stacks might not sound like much, but adds a lot especially with Lakumba's bracers. Once you have that, DBs can help you get the Short Man's Finger ring or Mask of Jeram.
    Wizard
    Free set: Tal Rasha's Elements
    Skills boosted: Everything, with a lean toward Meteor and Frozen Orb.

Lvl 1 gambling: Ashnagarr's bracers, but you're going to want a level 70 pair anyway so...
    Lvl 27-34 gambling: Wait what? Ya... wizards can benefit so much in this range that it gets it's own note. 27 for Manald Heal ring if you want to fry stuff with lightning, 30 for the Swami if you want to play Archon, 33 for Etched Sigil if you want to channel endless meteors, and 34 for Halo of Karini if you like not dying. All of these are harder to get at 70, so it can even be worth it to make an alt just to get them.
    Lvl 70 gambling: Sources & rings... bracers, shoulders, & boots. You'll want Etched Sigil for the channeling meteor build, but if you get something like triumvirate you can just stick with Frozen Orb for now and focus on regular rifting. Getting Ashnagarr's bracers helps with toughness until you can get your Halo of Karini, Mantle of Channeling is all around great, and Nilfur's Boast is real nice for your meteors.

Death's Breath priority: Wands. The channeling build doesn't use them at all, but you still want to start here. Aether Walker for Speed, and any of the others for a skill boost. Wear one and cube the other and you'll be flying through regular rifts. Once you get Nilfur's and Etched Sigil from shards, then it'll be worth it to get the meteor weapons. You'll be more likely to get The Grand Vizier staff first, the Deathwish sword after, and then one of the Halo rings if you didn't get Karini from shards.

So who has the best/easiest start? (again, opinion)
    - Demon Hunter - barely needs supporting items
    - Necromancer, Witch Doctor, & Wizard - very strong, but very dependent on rings and/or non-set armor
    - Barbarian - pretty strong, needs rings and more than one weapon
    - Crusader & Monk - rough... unless you can switch into Akkhan/Sunwuko quickly

Noggin on
  • Options
    You really should add this to the opening.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    You really should add this to the opening.

Done. Cleaned it up a bit too. Hopefully people find it helpful.

Ah crap, I forgot the most important progression tip - Join clan games and vacuum up tons of free crap!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

I don't think Monk is quite the bottom of the list, if you setup your skills for a wave of light build, even if you don't have any of the set pieces and just random level appropriate yellows you can do ok at easier difficulty levels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

I don't think Monk is quite the bottom of the list, if you setup your skills for a wave of light build, even if you don't have any of the set pieces and just random level appropriate yellows you can do ok at easier difficulty levels.

Everything will work, so if anyone wants to play Crusader or Monk I don't mean to discourage them.

Progression is a snowball effect, and certain classes/sets are just easier to get rolling.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Monk isn't bad, it's just that compared to the other starts it's a little rougher than say DH or Wiz this season.

Great write up Noggin.

• Options
    Thanks!

Also, I made an update for anyone that might be playing Unhallowed Essence Demon Hunter for the first time:
    Discipline: Once you have the full set your damage increases per point of Discipline, so this becomes VERY important in a few ways:
    - Selecting the skill 'Preparation - Invigoration' passively adds 20 discipline, so that's nearly 65% more damage for free
    - You can also get 9-12 Discipline on your Cloak, Bow, and Quiver as a secondary stat, for up to 36 more. Even worst case that's another 53% damage.
    - This means Discipline now your best stat on those items and the top priority, even above primary stats.
    - Finally, note that the bonus is based on current Discipline, not the max. So anytime you start draining it with too many vaults, click your Prep skill and get some back.

• Options
    Also can add in Stone of Jordan as a ring that adds in a max of 10 which adds in more damage.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Also can add in Stone of Jordan as a ring that adds in a max of 10 which adds in more damage.

That's true, and is a good option if someone finds one, but a bit past the scope I was going for.

By that I mean, my goal was to show some of the methods available to quickly get from fresh 70 to T8+. That's why I tried to focus on just a few specific items with the greatest benefit. It just happens that Doc and Necro have more items that are really crucial to the build, and Wiz got more detail because that's what I'm making. :razz:

Noggin on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh, new season starts today? Did it start already?

• Options
    Yup, it's tonight, unless you're in Asia/Europe then I think it's already going.

North American season starts at 5 Pacific / 8 Eastern.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I think the most important thing Blizzard should learn from D3 is that players don't like grinding forever and maybe killing a boss over and over for loot isn't that bad.

Hell, anything isn't bad as long as you can trade loot.

oHw5R0V.jpg