As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    it's almost universally the case that whatever difficulty you can clear rifts in under 5* minutes on is the correct one to play on

*maybe under ~8 minutes when leveling, due to reduced mobility

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    I really feel, given the current state of the game that testing a class requires them to be lvl 70 with a set or two. Getting a feel for how the class plays at end game. You can get a vague idea of how a class plays while leveling it up, but, take the witch doctor for instance. The class plays totally different when you're max level and have a set. Jade set is about the best way to describe how a WD plays while leveling. Multishot for DH, it feels underwhelming until you get Unhallowed Essence and Yangs/DML.

Just my thoughts.

WRT to your question, in most cases for most classes, using the biggest slowest 2h weapon (bow or xbow in DHs case) is your best bet. The benefit for the DH being, you get a nice big damage bow or xbow and get to use the quiver as well.

Well, it was more of a getting a feel for the progression. Like right now it -seems- like I shouldn't try to play anything over Hard because my single target damage is garbage when a pack of anything that isn't a trash mob comes at me, I spend most of my time tumbling back and forth where with my Crusader could just murder them. I realize it gets better but even with Eykanhaz's help last night I'm still doing wet noodle damage since most of the hatred generators are around 200% damage where the crusader can pick a wider range of percentages. I'm trying to make good use of grenades right now, but I feel like with the legendaries and epics I got from Ey helping some of us get rare wings last night, I am overgeared and still feel weak.

I'll give a short run on some other classes, if the Sun set from Monk was up next I'd probably go Monk. Trying a bit of everything is fun if nothing else.

Yep, I say pick a class that you like and doing what you are doing is a good idea. DH takes some getting used to. I like it because things just melt on the screen after a while and it matches my game play style (standing back and blowing things up). But then I found the shadow set and it allows me to not be that squishy and use impale which I found to be fun.

But it is not a class for everyone. Hope you can find your fun class.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I really feel, given the current state of the game that testing a class requires them to be lvl 70 with a set or two. Getting a feel for how the class plays at end game. You can get a vague idea of how a class plays while leveling it up, but, take the witch doctor for instance. The class plays totally different when you're max level and have a set. Jade set is about the best way to describe how a WD plays while leveling. Multishot for DH, it feels underwhelming until you get Unhallowed Essence and Yangs/DML.

Just my thoughts.

WRT to your question, in most cases for most classes, using the biggest slowest 2h weapon (bow or xbow in DHs case) is your best bet. The benefit for the DH being, you get a nice big damage bow or xbow and get to use the quiver as well.

Well, it was more of a getting a feel for the progression. Like right now it -seems- like I shouldn't try to play anything over Hard because my single target damage is garbage when a pack of anything that isn't a trash mob comes at me, I spend most of my time tumbling back and forth where with my Crusader could just murder them. I realize it gets better but even with Eykanhaz's help last night I'm still doing wet noodle damage since most of the hatred generators are around 200% damage where the crusader can pick a wider range of percentages. I'm trying to make good use of grenades right now, but I feel like with the legendaries and epics I got from Ey helping some of us get rare wings last night, I am overgeared and still feel weak.

I'll give a short run on some other classes, if the Sun set from Monk was up next I'd probably go Monk. Trying a bit of everything is fun if nothing else.

Yep, I say pick a class that you like and doing what you are doing is a good idea. DH takes some getting used to. I like it because things just melt on the screen after a while and it matches my game play style (standing back and blowing things up). But then I found the shadow set and it allows me to not be that squishy and use impale which I found to be fun.

Oh I'd say I was having fun, just that I'm missing something, possibly a lack of good weapons is holding me back.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Just my thoughts.

DH's, like WD's, start off slow. They don't really come into their own until later and how they play at low level isn't a good indicator for what they're like later on.

I like to use twin chakrams leveling up because they're cheap and they'll clear a room. Kind of a poor man's multishot until you hit 70 and get UE up and running.

Poketpixie on
  • Options

Just my thoughts.

Oh I'd say I was having fun, just that I'm missing something, possibly a lack of good weapons is holding me back.

Ah ok. Then fire away! Sorry, DH joke there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Seems yesterday was the first four-player GR150 clear in a season, which in theory sounds kind of cool, but mostly just highlights how incredibly different that level of play is.

Like, after grinding over five thousand paragon levels and fishing GRs for an open map with an illusionist maggot brood champion (monsters summoned by clones give progress), they had the distinct pleasure of... watching a macro play someone's wizard for them... against that single pack... for 10 minutes... then dragging Bloodmaw into a corridor for another 4. :zzz:

I don't want to just accuse people that get that many paragon in season of botting, but that's exactly what I'm going to do. For a roughly 3 month old character to achieve that level of paragon, they'd have to be online, actively playing and being optimal, around 14hrs a day, if not more. That's grinding 90s-100s almost out of the gate after hitting lvl 70 and then doing that with small key farm breaks every few hours for the majority of the day. It's technically possible, but it'd burn me the hell out.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Just my thoughts.

Ah ok. Then fire away! Sorry, DH joke there.

Well I just went up to killing Leoric with a Monk and got to lv 15. He handled the whole thing better than the Hunter did and she was lv 23 and had the gear from Eyk taking me for the wings. Something seems off.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Seems yesterday was the first four-player GR150 clear in a season, which in theory sounds kind of cool, but mostly just highlights how incredibly different that level of play is.

Like, after grinding over five thousand paragon levels and fishing GRs for an open map with an illusionist maggot brood champion (monsters summoned by clones give progress), they had the distinct pleasure of... watching a macro play someone's wizard for them... against that single pack... for 10 minutes... then dragging Bloodmaw into a corridor for another 4. :zzz:

I don't want to just accuse people that get that many paragon in season of botting, but that's exactly what I'm going to do. For a roughly 3 month old character to achieve that level of paragon, they'd have to be online, actively playing and being optimal, around 14hrs a day, if not more. That's grinding 90s-100s almost out of the gate after hitting lvl 70 and then doing that with small key farm breaks every few hours for the majority of the day. It's technically possible, but it'd burn me the hell out.

Possible account sharing? Back in the old gold farming days for wow you'd have multiple people doing 8-12 hour shifts on the same character.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Tried the Wizard today, blew everything up with ease. I am seriously considering something was bugged or broken when I tried the Hunter. I shouldn't have had so much trouble as I did. I might delete and start over just to be sure.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Probably not. The DH, as Betsuni mentioned, is underpowered until later on.

• Options
    Probably not. The DH, as Betsuni mentioned, is underpowered until later on.

Oh, in that case, it seems by reading up on it Tal Rasha Wizard is "better" than Essence Multishot Hunter. So should I skip Hunter until Marauder rolls around again? It seems I can do Wizard now, no idea for the next one, then Sun Monk, then Maruader Hunter.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    You can do marauder hunter whenever, it's just that unhallowed is the starting set. I'd say give DH another try if you're interested in it. "Better" isn't going to be all that noticeable until like greater rift 75+.

It sounded like you were sitting in Master too long, when it's more efficient to raise/lower the difficulty to whatever lets you kill monsters in like 1-3 hits. You probably also needed to keep up with your weapon upgrades- check the blacksmith for new recipes every few levels by filtering for "highest usable" weapon.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    You can do marauder hunter whenever, it's just that unhallowed is the starting set. I'd say give DH another try if you're interested in it. "Better" isn't going to be all that noticeable until like greater rift 75+.

It sounded like you were sitting in Master too long, when it's more efficient to raise/lower the difficulty to whatever lets you kill monsters in like 1-3 hits. You probably also needed to keep up with your weapon upgrades- check the blacksmith for new recipes every few levels by filtering for "highest usable" weapon.

Well at the time when I was making all these test heroes I didn't think to make them seasonal, so none of them have access to my stuff until the new season rolls over. I just figured I'd do better to spend the time with hunter doing it once and getting the set up front instead of hoping i get all the pieces eventually. I think I might have finished Roland's and Invoker in my inventory, but that was out of grinding for the stuff that makes the condemn build work. I just figured for the sake of efficiency, go through with each class that I'm interested in once, but that was mostly Crusader and Monk, and the Monk's set I wanted is a few seasons off. The grind for the tabs will be somewhat worth it though, so doing it something a bit more nuclear strike than a Crusader in the meantime until Monk rolls around sounds like fun.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    UE set is the fastest set to farm regular rifts. The Nats+Marauder "set" is fun and powerful, but you have to watch resource management. Zero ran this set to GR100 with it's durability. I ran a Shadow set to GR100 since I love that set and it feels tanky to me.

UE is squishy but does a ton of damage once you get it going.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    UE set is the fastest set to farm regular rifts. The Nats+Marauder "set" is fun and powerful, but you have to watch resource management. Zero ran this set to GR100 with it's durability. I ran a Shadow set to GR100 since I love that set and it feels tanky to me.

UE is squishy but does a ton of damage once you get it going.

UE is definitely squishy above GR75. Well, this was from a few seasons ago when I was trying to take a UE higher than that. Monsters one shot me for daring to be in the same room as them. I should try my NS DH again and see how it fairs in an 80. The bulk of my issue back then was not realising (because i'm stupid it seems) how required and good augmenting your ancients with gem enchants was.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular

I forgot how completely unwatchable d3 becomes when a thousand monsters are creating visual effects. It's just one big purple flashing goop with a ton of yellow numbers and some red bars flashing about.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    I recall someone saying something about binding mousewheel to something realted to attacking an standing still, I forgot to ask about that earlier, but it was in relation to ranged classes like Hunter. Could someone elaborate?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Since most build amount to running around slamming all the buttons to keep damage up and survival you bind buttons to mouse wheel moving I think, supposed to be against tos but blizzard doesn’t seem to care. Something like that,

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I've heard of something like that as well, but can't recall anything at this moment.

The closest thing I do is "autocast" where you bind the 1,2,3,4,5 etc. to the number pad. Then when you want to start the rift/greater rift/etc. and have it casting whatever you hold down the number key, then turn off numlock. What it does is press the key over and over and over again (forgot the exact timing between "presses" but it seems like every second or half second). It helps me for those classes where you have to be in a certain mode all the time like Vengeance for DH.

Again, think it might be against the TOS, but Blizzard isn't cracking down on it yet.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The mouse wheel thing is bind both wheel up and wheel down to “force move” in the games keybinding list

Because regular move is ambiguous with attack, sometimes you need to really move right now, and the auto cast Betsuni mentioned will not work while holding down L-mouse move but will work with the mouse wheel binds.

Stand in place should be L-shift by default i think

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Ok all of this is good to know. I went through to Leoric again with a new Hunter on Hard and this time things worked as they should, just slight under par damage now compared to other classes which matches up to what you said about late game power.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So today I put the Staff of Herding together to try and get Sir William to spawn. Torment 13 is still a bit much without perma Champion, but I may be able to tweak my CDR a bit higher on my gear with all the DB's I ended up farming trying to get the parts of the staff.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Grats on getting the Gibbering Gem, and good luck with Sir William. =P

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Oh is that where that portrait came from. I thought it was a season thing. Older seasons seem to have better frames.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    UUHGHHH @Klatu I had to share this pain with you

Best 100 atempt yet, looked like 2-3 minutes for the boss... Perdition

• Options
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Grats on getting the Gibbering Gem, and good luck with Sir William. =P

The Gem was easier for me to get than the rainbow vial.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    UUHGHHH Klatu I had to share this pain with you

Oh my... Man, they really hate you.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    UUHGHHH @Klatu I had to share this pain with you

Oh man, that's rough. On WD if I'm trying to push and I get him, I just gg out right there. Any death is game over because it's impossible to get your stacks of harvest to 10 again.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Only a few more days left of season guys.

Heads up for those that are doing their first season run, try to clean your inventory a teeny bit before season ends. It helps on the other side when your character gets transferred back to non season.

1) All those bits of armor that I'm keeping because "It might come in handy, who knows?" trash it, lets be real, if you haven't used it for over half the season you're not putting it on now.
    2) I drop all my unlevelled legendary gems. If it has 10 levels or less on it, I drop it on the ground and make it so when the rollover happens, it doesn't fill up my mail.
    3) If I really want to keep item bits, I make sure that I only keep the ancient or better ones. As an example - I typically build a DH (didn't this season!!) every season to help level up my lower level gems. Due to me having lots of non season DH stuff, I only keep decent looking ancient bits to compare to what I'm already wearing in non season.

Some of this may not apply to those returning from a long hiatus or doing their first seasonal run. You may actually want to keep all that gear rather than trash it so you can try alts. Soon that will change :D

Each season it gets easier to decide what to purge for me... but I'm never going to make it to the point that some of our companions on the forums here have, where they just ignore the non season mail and let all the items expire.... I can't do it..

Klatu on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was my first season (just got the game), so I'm keeping everything. Then I'll probably mostly play on non-seasonal until and unless I decide to do the next season. I probably will for the stash space but I will probably tailor my choices towards getting the stash space ASAP.

• Options
    Playing for the stash space is fine, and don't forget, even though you start from scratch every season, you get a free set for completing simple objectives. Which means you can try each class with their "meta" set every so often. Next season is overflowing with good choices.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    November 2nd.
    IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Heed the prophecies, heroes—the newest front in the battle for the fate of Sanctuary will soon open! Diablo III Eternal Collection, the definitive version of Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed action RPG, arrives for Nintendo Switch™ on November 2, giving a whole new generation of gamers the opportunity to face down the horrors of the Burning Hells. Eager adventurers can secure their digital pre-orders starting today through the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch.

Weird quote at the end of that release though...
    Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements:

Information in this press release that involves Blizzard Entertainment's expectations, plans, intentions or strategies regarding the future, including statements about the availability, features, and functionality of Diablo III Eternal Collection, are forward-looking statements that are not facts and involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Factors that could cause Blizzard Entertainment's actual future results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements set forth in this release include unanticipated product delays and other factors identified in the risk factors sections of Activision Blizzard’s most recent annual report on Form 10-K and any subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. The forward-looking statements in this release are based upon information available to Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Blizzard as of the date of this release, and neither Blizzard Entertainment nor Activision Blizzard assumes any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements believed to be true when made may ultimately prove to be incorrect. These statements are not guarantees of the future performance of Blizzard Entertainment or Activision Blizzard and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, some of which are beyond its control and may cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations.

It's like "Yeah, here's our business press release with the release date, but it also could be a guesstimate and we might push it if something comes up. We're not sure yet." Is this language on an actual press release typical just to cover themselves?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I'd guess it's either "we're saying 11/2 but if Nintendo changes it that's out of our hands"

or another way of emphasizing that this is the definitive edition to date, as in, makes no promises to include anything announced at Blizzcon or in the future, or any guarantee that unannounced content would have the same release date as PC, etc.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's 'covering' them for financial reporting purposes; basically firms are allowed to make predictive ('forward-looking') statements without them being actionable by investors later

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    it's 'covering' them for financial reporting purposes; basically firms are allowed to make predictive ('forward-looking') statements without them being actionable by investors later

It's the fiscal equivalent of "Hey look I know we talked about adding this feature in the next patch but it's not going to make the deadline so we'll hopefully get around to it later"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Next season's theme is Boon of the Horadrim
    Season 15 begins on September 21! For those among you who enjoy the fresh start a Season brings, we wanted to give you a glimpse of what to expect before you race out the gate as we continue to evolve and bring new things to Themed Seasons!

New Season Theme
    Season 15 will continue the experiment we began last season with a new seasonal buff. This time, for the duration of Season 15, all Horadric Caches earned from bounties will be doubled. This means that each time you complete a full set of five bounties in an Act, you will receive not one, but two Horadric Caches, for twice the bounty rewards!

There are a few things to keep in mind with this effect:

The bonus cache does benefit from difficulty level; it is essentially as though you completed twice the bounties.
    The rewards inside the Horadric Caches are otherwise unaffected; drop rates or the amount of individual rewards have not been altered.
    The bonus cache earned from Challenge Rifts is not affected; this is a separate type of cache.
    Need a refresher on the rewards contained inside a Horadric Cache? Check out our Game Guide for a list of bounty-exclusive Legendary items and more information on the Bounty system.

In addition to doubling up your Horadric spoils, other celebrations may spring up across the globe that celebrate the nature of this theme! Be sure to keep a close eye on Twitter and Facebook for more information as we move into Season 15!

New Cosmetic Rewards
    As per tradition, Season 15 will introduce new cosmetic rewards, obtainable by progressing through the Season Journey.

In addition to the Chest and Glove slots of the exclusive Conqueror Set, a brand-new series of portrait frames themed around the struggle of the Eternal Conflict will be available. For the eager cosmetic pet collectors, we thought you could use a hand. Belphegor is eager to keep a grip on your coin as it accompanies you on your adventures across Sanctuary!

Season Journey Rewards
    If you’ve been diligently slaying demons for the past few Seasons and reached Conqueror in the Season Journey each time, you’ve surely accrued a few extra stash tabs by now. But players who have not yet earned a total of four stash tabs via the Season Journey can still unlock an additional one by completing the following tasks at the Conqueror tier:

Finish a level 70 Nephalem Rift on Torment XIII difficulty within 5 minutes
    Level three Legendary Gems to level 55
    Complete 2 Conquests this Season
    Kill Malthael at level 70 in 1 minute and 30 seconds on Torment XIII difficulty
    Slay Greed on Torment XIII difficulty
    Reach Greater Rift level 60 Solo
    Use Kanai’s Cube to augment an Ancient Legendary item with a level 50+ gem
    Use Kanai’s Cube to reforge a Legendary item

Seasonal Conquests
    Speaking of Conquests, we’re rotating those, too! Returning for Season 15 is Sprinter/Speed Racer, where you’re challenged to complete all of Diablo III’s campaign from Act I to Act V at level 70 in under 1 hour! Next, we have Avarice/Avaritia, where all that glitters is gold—that is, if you can complete a 50 million gold streak outside of The Vault or its Inner Sanctum. Boss Mode/Worlds Apart is a different kind of race; destroy all the bosses in Diablo III at max level on Torment X before your 20-minute timer ends! A fan-favorite for those who enjoy unconventional builds, The Thrill/Superhuman requires completion of a Greater Rift level 45 to be completed Solo, but without any Set items equipped. Finally, Masters of the Universe/Masters of Sets stretches your class set knowledge by requiring a Mastery Rank completion of 8 different Set Dungeons; get ready to start collecting!

Haedrig’s Gift
    Finally, the Class Sets available for completing certain chapters in the Season Journey courtesy of Haedrig’s Gift have rotated once more. We’ve listed the available Sets below. For those new to Seasons, here’s how it works:

Completing Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the Season Journey will reward you with three of Haedrig’s Gifts. Each Gift contains a few pieces from one of your Class Sets. Players can only unlock one Class Set in this manner per Season across Hardcore and Non-Hardcore, so choose wisely!

The set you will receive depends on the Class of the character you’re playing when you open each Haedrig’s Gift. To collect a full Class Set, you’ll need to open all three on the same character.

Here are the sets granted by Haedrig’s Gift in Season 15:

Barbarian – Wrath of the Wastes
    Crusader – Roland’s Legacy
    Demon Hunter – Unhallowed Essence
    Monk – Raiment of a Thousand Storms
    Necromancer – Bones of Rathma
    Witch Doctor – Helltooth Harness
    Wizard – Tal Rasha’s Elements

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    That's weak. I don't think I'm alone in hating bounties.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    having to do half as many of them sounds pretty good

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    having to do half as many of them sounds pretty good

Yeah it at least gives you twice as many chances to not get a RROG! But yes, this should help you gear up at season start with crafting mats, recipes, and legs. It'll become useless once you gear up though.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Yeah, better than a regular season, but pretty lame vs last season. Most of your time is hopefully not doing bounties anyways, just enough to get all the season journey activities.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀