As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mores the pity. It’s a fucking boring game type.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    So what you’re saying is we need 100 Doom Slayers jumping from a UAC transport.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Doom clearly needs both battle royale and player invasions.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So this is going to make me sound really old but I have to ask it.

What's the difference between Battle Royale and FFA deathmatch?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I would've said the game industry would've gone towards faster more mobile FPSes like Doom before 2017. Unfortunately, Doom has been completely overshadowed by the Battle Royale genre, and that's where all FPSes are going instead.

If Doom Eternal is as good as the first, it will outlast the Battle Royale craze that's already kind of flagging because Fortnite just kind of cornered it.

Just like we were expecting MOBA-style FPS games like Overwatch to explode, which they did, and then quickly imploded because Overwatch destroyed all comers.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Karl wrote: »

Battle Royale stuff is typically around 100 players (though there's some smaller modes) on a large map, and the early part of the game is like a "procure items and weapons" period mostly. It's a more slow and deliberate mode

Oh, and you usually only have 1 life in BR games, so once you're dead, you're out. There can only be one left alive (or a team)

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Since this is Doom-adjacent, Strife: Veteran Edition is currently one of the free games available for those that have Twitch Prime accounts. Any fan of Doom-engine titles who somehow hasn't played it owes it to themselves to give it a run through.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »

You just reminded me of City64 from Quake 2. Never got to live the full glory of that map.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »

Doomslayers in an endless Valhalla-esque battle would be fairly appropriate. Everyone spends the day killing each other, there's a big dinner party at night, then back to the murdering tomorrow.

And a battle royale style game with Doomslayers would certainly resolve a lot more quickly than the usual battle royale game.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am now just two achievements away from replatinuming DOOM on both PC and PS4, and they are both the ones where I need to grind up in multiplayer to get robotic and cyber demonic armor parts.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    man congrats, i gave up on all the multiplayer achievements on xbox because there were just no games, literally nobody was playing any more

Also counter strike is kind of an early battle royale if you think about it

• Options
    The PC lobbies are still surprisingly full. It could be the same 200 people or something, but I've been getting in games pretty instantly. Haven't tried PS4 lately, since my Plus expired.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Doomslayers in an endless Valhalla-esque battle would be fairly appropriate.

Add in other characters and this is literally the 'plot' of Quake 3.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Don't forget Unreal Tournament. Flash-clones up ins.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

At a base level, Battle Royale is massive maps with a last man standing gameplay, FFA deathmatch is smaller maps with respawning after death. One promotes slower, more deliberate gameplay where you need to look for action which happens in bursts, the other promotes running in fast and the action beginning immediately and generally being the same pace throughout the match.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

It's the plot for Quake Champions too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm coming up on the end of Doom 3 I think and man it's been a slog. It should be noted I'm playing the BFG version, so I can use the flashlight and shoot at the same time and I cannot even imagine how much more of a slog it would be if I couldn't.

Amazing how they managed to make killing demons the opposite of fun in this game. The level designs are boring and all the monster designs are awful too. The BFG is limp as hell, and no double barreled shotgun so far (that I've found anyway). The PDAs are only interesting in that they occasionally give me a code that grinds the game to a halt so I can punch it in to some storage locker and get more shotgun shells.

I didn't have a PC that could deal with this game back in the day when it first came out (though I was working in a software store when it launched and I remember people going from really jazzed to deflated that week) so I'm obviously coming to this after the technical wonder has worn off, and I imagine that had a great deal to do with how impressive a lot of people found it.

Maybe the expansion drastically improves it or maybe there's some turn at the end that'll make me come around, but this game just makes the amazingness that is DOOM seem that much more amazing.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The best thing about Doom 3 was the leaked pre-alpha demo. That thing was legendary. It was contextless, unfinished, illicit, and terrifying. It was like the ring tape, this digital nightmare shared in secret.

The actual game couldn't really live up to that.

• Options
    The thing is though, it still would have been decried as ‘not Doom’ because people wanted basically what Doom 2016 delivered.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I've spoken to this before, but IMO the original design of Doom 3 (as seen in the alpha, as Doom III) appeared to be a large departure from past games to better suit the engine and features Carmack was designing. At some point I think they got cold feet, tried to make it more like the classic games and wound up with a weird hybrid that didn't play to the strengths of either concept.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So, there was an error in shipping the Quakecon shirts to the con when it was going on, so they put them up on the bethesda store instead.

Just got my shirt in the mail and look what it came with:

omyDoBZ.jpg

They threw in a damn complimentary Quakecon 18 mousepad! Didn't even say they were doing it either, it just showed up as a surprise! I've been checking around and it looks like everyone who ordered a shirt got one!

Now that's good customer service, many props to those Quakecon guys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    A Doom player within the community finally figured out how to trigger Doom II's final secret after 24 years. For good reason too, the actual solution is so obtuse("totally intended tho btw" - John Romero) that the community eventually just wrote it off as an un-triggerable bug.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/31/after-24-years-doom-iis-final-secret-has-been-found/
    John Romero has just congratulated Doom guru Zero Master on discovering the last hidden secret of Doom II, some 24 years after it was released. A secret that had previously been thought impossible to actually find.

Prepare to put your Doom Pedantry Hat on for this one, because the secret has been known, and considered a bug.

“It is normally impossible to register secret #4, as the secret sector in question (sector 147) is located adjacent to the raised teleport pad and is only 16 units wide. This setup completely prevents the player from touching this sector’s floor (as is required to trigger a secret), because upon crossing the sector’s boundary they are immediately raised onto the pad and teleport away. Therefore, the maximum SECRETS percentage one can ordinarily get on this map is 90%.”

Unless it turns out, you get pushed into it by a demon. Jump to 3 mins in the video below to see the rather uneventful moment occur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNoHfnLXRM

Zero Master explained why the bug meant it was considered impossible saying, “In other words, a secret can only be triggered if doomguys center is within the secret area and if he is on the same height as the secret sector. The second being impossible because doomguy is always lifted up to the teleporter floor height when his center is either exactly on or over the secret sector.” But, it turns out, tricking a pain elemental into helping you out gets around this. ZM continues,

“This trick has something to do with the moving door and the pain elemental spawning a lost soul on top of you. This forces you down to the lowest floor the moving door is on, which puts you within the secret sector and on the same height, thus triggering the secret.”

Doom’s co-creator John Romero took to Twitter to congratulate Zero Master on this saying,

Donnicton on
  • Options
    And suddenly all the 100% speed runners just felt a shudder.

• Options
    So, there was an error in shipping the Quakecon shirts to the con when it was going on, so they put them up on the bethesda store instead.

omyDoBZ.jpg

They threw in a damn complimentary Quakecon 18 mousepad! Didn't even say they were doing it either, it just showed up as a surprise! I've been checking around and it looks like everyone who ordered a shirt got one!

Mine should be arriving soon and now I'm even more excited!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

omyDoBZ.jpg

Oh damn I messed up the surprise for you, didn't I?

My bad!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

omyDoBZ.jpg

My bad!

And I had managed to forget about even ordering it, so you double fucked up!
    It's all good, I don't mind :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options

omyDoBZ.jpg

My bad!

And I had managed to forget about even ordering it, so you double fucked up!
    It's all good, I don't mind :rotate:

Mine just arrived, and I didn't realize how huge the mousepad is! My last mousepad I've only had since right before QuakeCon was only a quarter the size, and I haven't used one before that for like 10 years. It's also the nicest mousepad I've ever owned, but that comes from only using cheap ones from Walmart.
    40774095_1961392983883909_1211451025404198912_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=412860fd3f337657276b96506989de42&oe=5C381FDD

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    That is a ridiculously big mousepad.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

There's nothing quite as aggravating as flicking a rocket at someone only to have your mouse fall off the edge of the mousepad, causing your aim (and the rocket) to go 90 degrees off-target.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, I miss QuakeCon. I last went in 2015 and it was a blast. Really hope I can make it out there next year.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Darklyre wrote: »

There's nothing quite as aggravating as flicking a rocket at someone only to have your mouse fall off the edge of the mousepad, causing your aim (and the rocket) to go 90 degrees off-target.

I have a squishy wrist mouse pad so my hand never gets close to the edge.

• Options
    Darklyre wrote: »

I have a squishy wrist mouse pad so my hand never gets close to the edge.

I mostly use a really high sensitivity so I just barely move my wrist and I can do a 180 or whatever, so I've never really needed a mousepad that was big (if I even used one at all). This gargantuan thing is brand new to me

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I loved the harsh shadowing and lighting in the Doom 3 alpha so much that I squeed a bit when I was able to replicate it a bit in DOOM 2016.

Basically, ID gave me the tools to turn DOOM 2016 into an unremastered 1970's sci fi horror flick and I hope they allow that in Eternal.

Spoilered for H scroll
    8kcv1m29fdho.jpg

32vafzqwo8jb.jpg

9erodayzj1bo.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    When I say Doom 2, you immediately think John Romero and John Carmack. Who are the rockstar devs behind Doom 2016?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    When I say Doom 2, you immediately think John Romero and John Carmack. Who are the rockstar devs behind Doom 2016?

Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin.

Kevin Cloud is still there, too.

• Options
    Also, Doom 2 was made with a group of like 14 people total. Doom 2016 was made by well over a hundred, IIRC.

• Options
    Getting well known as a kickass video bro in 1991 was a hell of a lot easier than it is today. Smaller audience, less of a market, way more intimate.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Getting well known as a kickass video bro in 1991 was a hell of a lot easier than it is today. Smaller audience, less of a market, way more intimate.

That said, based on interviews and presentations and stuff that I’ve seen of them, Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin seem to embody at least some of that same dynamic we saw out of id in the 90s. Which is pretty cool to see. They both seem genuinely stoked to be working on DOOM, and you can feel their excitement coming through when they talk about it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Crash looks like she could be a Doomslayer (maybe replace her tan-colored jeans with something more appropriate).