As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I got a fairly even match just now, still lost but it’s nice to be matched up with people I have a chance against and can actually not die to in 5 seconds

My main issue is getting used to farming fodder in a multiplayer game while guys are shooting at you. Your instinct is to fight them directly, when most of the time it’s better to run

Its also super frustrating how quickly demon players respawn. It’s way too easy for the other demon to run and hide and just wait it out

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Oh my god yes got the kill demons with each of the slayers weapons, which includes the bfg, which is weak against player demons. So you have to survive till round 4, and whittle a character down then switch and hit them directly with it, since the tendrils don’t hurt them

The slayer needs way more buffs, it’s so easy to gang up on him. I think only one demon should be able to cancel pickups

God the latency is so bad, either nobodies playing in Australia or somethings fucky

It’s also disappointing that there isn’t more custom cosmetics to unlock. Doom 2016 multiplayer had quite a lot so it’s a bit of a downgrade, but I’m guessing cos this was done in house they had a lot less time to work on stuff like that. Also my doom slayer skins don’t even show up in game so confused about that

Prohass on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oh my god yes got the kill demons with each of the slayers weapons, which includes the bfg, which is weak against player demons. So you have to survive till round 4, and whittle a character down then switch and hit them directly with it, since the tendrils don’t hurt them

The slayer needs way more buffs, it’s so easy to gang up on him. I think only one demon should be able to cancel pickups

God the latency is so bad, either nobodies playing in Australia or somethings fucky

It’s also disappointing that there isn’t more custom cosmetics to unlock. Doom 2016 multiplayer had quite a lot so it’s a bit of a downgrade, but I’m guessing cos this was done in house they had a lot less time to work on stuff like that. Also my doom slayer skins don’t even show up in game so confused about that

You do unlock some cosmetics through the multiplayer. I earned a few things while unlocking all the trophies. It took about 45 minutes of farming for me and the other two people to earn the 200 kills trophies. Personally I think that one is a bit much. The other trophies are not that bad though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

The skins that don't include a custom model appear to not be showing in the lobby, but I'm pretty sure they work in-game.

I still need to do a BFG kill. I got a direct hit on someone, thinking it would kill, and was merely met with an 800 popping up.

• Options
    I got stuck in a weird match where a revenant flew and hid somewhere unreachabke so I was just fighting his friend, killed him like 15 times before I got bored and let him kill me

• Options
    edited April 2020
    They’ve got to be seeing the metrics on how much slayers lose to demons. I prefer playing the slayer but god damn it’s just way too hard to kill both the fuckers before they resurrect. They need to add like a locator to the final demon. Because it’s way too easy for the other play to just run and hide. Maybe not that exactly but something to help out

Also weird I faced a guy 1v1 cos someone left, killed him 3 times as the slayer, but it only counted as 1 played killed added to my achievement total. Don’t know what to make of that. Does it mean I have to kill 200 seperate players? I thought it just meant 200 kills

There’s also no latency indicator

I’m enjoying it more as I get better but it’s missing something. There’s just not much to what’s there, even if what’s there is decent

Prohass on
  • Options
    Some good tips I’ve found from playing the slayer

Hang out near the portal when you’re not sure what to do, demons can’t use them or jump pads.

If you’re high on health and ammo still do glory kills if demons are looking at you and you see a staggered, you get a haste buff but also you’ll find players instinctively block your pickups, which you don’t need anyway, this wastes their skill and they have to wait for the cool down.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not got the chance to play this for a lil' while, but did see Matt McMuscles going through some of it, and uh... did they replace my precious railgun with a demon crossbow thing!? I'm sure it works as good / better but holy shit I loved the way the railgun looked.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Oh hey, fixing my double NAT issue fixed my constant disconnects from Bethseda.net

That's an unexpected but nice bonus. (I actually fixed it so i could play Animal Crossing)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Not got the chance to play this for a lil' while, but did see Matt McMuscles going through some of it, and uh... did they replace my precious railgun with a demon crossbow thing!? I'm sure it works as good / better but holy shit I loved the way the railgun looked.

Yeah, just like how they replaced the awesome plasma gun model from 2016 with the classic one. It made me sad!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, just like how they replaced the awesome plasma gun model from 2016 with the classic one. It made me sad!

Wah I had like the exact opposite reaction. 2016 plasma gun look was generic and forgettable, bringing back the retro look is so much better. I love the eternal one so much

I also love that the Mancubus in this one look like the old school ones, so much more expressive and iconic than the kind of alien look of the 2016 one

Prohass on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Reached level 6 in Doom 64 and absolutely got murdered. Up until then the game was a breeze.

It feels more like a puzzle game than a Doom game. I'm 100% okay with that, honestly, but sometimes you just have to figure out the trick to the room.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Yeah look I'm just entering enough games for weeklies.

It's enter game die die die done.

One game as slayer I was moving at half speed for no fucking reason.

What's the exact opposite of fun? Whatever that is perfectly describes trying out battlemode. I'm sure it'll get more fun as I play more and learn it but honestly I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Reached level 6 in Doom 64 and absolutely got murdered. Up until then the game was a breeze.

It feels more like a puzzle game than a Doom game. I'm 100% okay with that, honestly, but sometimes you just have to figure out the trick to the room.

Do you like hell knights? Because holy fuck there's a lot of hell knights on watch me die.

edit: I'm up to map 16 and it's been a wild ride. I can carry over a good stack of health or ammo to the next map but never both. Now it's like half hell knights half barons.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just started running nto Cacodemons in DOOM 2016. Didn't realize the grenade->instant glory kill thing I've been seeing in DOOM Eternal was also in this one.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Alrighty so I just finished the campaign, I avoided the spoiler talk earlier in the thread so forgive me if this was addressed.

Re Lore:
    Ok so if I'm understanding the implications of the story as it's presented:

Doomguy is a regular marine who gets stuck in hell and due to his awesome combat ability, survives and keeps killing in hell until he's picked up by a Sentinel Patrol during one of their expeditions.
    Doomguy gets inducted into the Sentinels and becomes a solid bad ass killing boi
    Sentinels/Argent D'Nur start getting corrupted due to the Makyr's futzing about with Argent energy/eventually making a deal with the Hell leadership and betray Argent D'Nur
    Somewhere along the line, Doomguy gets "upgraded" with Makyr power by...well based on the voice inflection and absolute lore-hose that he becomes Samuel Hayden in some past incarnation? I guess Samuel Hayden is/was the Seraphim or something that was responsible for taking away the "Father" that's referenced in the texts?
    In the previous game, it was indicated that the "Betrayer" made the armor for Doomguy, but that doesn't seem to be referenced at all here.
    And based on Vega's quote when you bolt him into the Makyr computer, was Vega originally the "Father" program that handled the transferrance of the Khan Makyr every 10,000 years?
    Also what the hell was that unarmored Makyr corpse you find in the pool of purple goo right before you fight Khan Makyr? Is that her old body or something? And does anyone have any idea what the "Mysterious Voice" screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when you kill Khan was/is?

Any ideas are welcome. This was certainly one heck of a fun ride and seeing all the lore tidbits fleshing out "literally" in some cases, the Doom universe was a delight to see.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Alrighty so I just finished the campaign, I avoided the spoiler talk earlier in the thread so forgive me if this was addressed.

Re Lore:

Doomguy is a regular marine who gets stuck in hell and due to his awesome combat ability, survives and keeps killing in hell until he's picked up by a Sentinel Patrol during one of their expeditions.
    Doomguy gets inducted into the Sentinels and becomes a solid bad ass killing boi
    Sentinels/Argent D'Nur start getting corrupted due to the Makyr's futzing about with Argent energy/eventually making a deal with the Hell leadership and betray Argent D'Nur
    Somewhere along the line, Doomguy gets "upgraded" with Makyr power by...well based on the voice inflection and absolute lore-hose that he becomes Samuel Hayden in some past incarnation? I guess Samuel Hayden is/was the Seraphim or something that was responsible for taking away the "Father" that's referenced in the texts?
    In the previous game, it was indicated that the "Betrayer" made the armor for Doomguy, but that doesn't seem to be referenced at all here.
    And based on Vega's quote when you bolt him into the Makyr computer, was Vega originally the "Father" program that handled the transferrance of the Khan Makyr every 10,000 years?
    Also what the hell was that unarmored Makyr corpse you find in the pool of purple goo right before you fight Khan Makyr? Is that her old body or something? And does anyone have any idea what the "Mysterious Voice" screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when you kill Khan was/is?

Any ideas are welcome. This was certainly one heck of a fun ride and seeing all the lore tidbits fleshing out "literally" in some cases, the Doom universe was a delight to see.
    I don't know about the giant makyr corpse floating in the pool either and would like to know more about it. Same for the mysterious Vader "NOOOOOOO" scream.

The Betrayer was mentioned in 2016 to have forged the Praetor suit, but nothing was explicitly mentioned about it in Eternal. There IS a forge nearby when you find him though, but that's sort of a primative way to make such an advanced suit (insert Tony Stark made this in a cave meme)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lore
    The codex says they make a new Khan Maykr every 10,000 years, but can't with Father missing. I assume the big Maykr in the pool is an unfinished/failed attempt at making a new Khan Maykr, though that alone doesn't explain why it's so big.

I don't like the idea of Samuel Hayden being a Maykr. I feel like it goes against Doom 2016 being about humans/UAC messing with hell. Also, we're told that before the Icon of Sin woke up, demons can't go to Urdak and Maykrs can't go to hell. But Hayden went to hell in Doom 2016.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Re Lore:

I don't know about the giant makyr corpse floating in the pool either and would like to know more about it. Same for the mysterious Vader "NOOOOOOO" scream.

The Betrayer was mentioned in 2016 to have forged the Praetor suit, but nothing was explicitly mentioned about it in Eternal. There IS a forge nearby when you find him though, but that's sort of a primative way to make such an advanced suit (insert Tony Stark made this in a cave meme)
    Yeah, that's what threw me off about finally meeting him. I mean yeah he had those Sentinel titan shoulder cannons guarding the entrance and whatnot, but the overall appearance looked barely passable to forge simple bladed weapons and armor. But I suppose Doom's equivalent of "It's magic I ain't gotta explain shit" prevails here.

Re Hayden:
    Yeah I really hope we get some more lore/game discussing that. It really does seem Hayden sort of magik'd himself onto earth with Vega, but then that doesn't explain how in 2016, Hayden's codex described him as a human who suffered some massive neuro degenerative disease and had himself transferred to a robot body....huh...wait that just answered my own question. He reincarnates as a human, and transfers himself to a Robot body (ala making a new Khan Makyr) and Vega helps out during the process.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but is there really no easy way to get to the Fortress from the mission select? So far it seems I need to complete a level that leads to it first. Though
    I guess there's one level that starts off in it but you have to fight off enemies? It was a whirlwind marathon, but that would definitely be faster if I'm not forgetting something, or it can at least be selected.

It would be great if it just flat out said 'click here to go to your damned Fortress' though. (and if it does, well, don't judge me too harshly)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but is there really no easy way to get to the Fortress from the mission select? So far it seems I need to complete a level that leads to it first. Though
    I guess there's one level that starts off in it but you have to fight off enemies? It was a whirlwind marathon, but that would definitely be faster if I'm not forgetting something, or it can at least be selected.

It would be great if it just flat out said 'click here to go to your damned Fortress' though. (and if it does, well, don't judge me too harshly)

If you load a mission straight from the main menu, no, you can't go to the fortress; you finish the mission and it sends you back to the main menu, but it will count anything you complete in that run as saved to the campaign you selected.

If you're mid-campaign, there's a level or two towards the end where you CANNOT go back to the Fortress during that time (and the game warns you beforehand). However, if you load into the Fortress from the Campaign menu and then go to Mission Select, you can return to the Fortress afterwards.

It saves a fair bit of time for people just wanting to hit up a mission, since it means you don't have to load your campaign, load the Fortress, select the mission from the Fortress, then go back into the Fortress again for another level.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't look thought 700 pages, lol. Is there anyplace to get the blood punch sound as a text tone?

• Options
    Woo got all achievements, and now I never have to play battlemode again. I eventually got ok at it, and it was occasionally very fun. But there’s just not enough to it for me to want to go back

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't look thought 700 pages, lol. Is there anyplace to get the blood punch sound as a text tone?

I don't know of anywhere that would have that available, but you could extract it from the game files. Just follow the guide, but do the sfx files instead of the music files.

Bad news is that the sound effect files aren't named, they're just numbered. And there's over a thousand of them.

• Options
    Are there any old school demons that haven’t been remade yet in 2016 and eternal? Only one I can think of is the heavy weapons guy maybe?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Unique enemy spoiler:
    Kalibas totally had to be a Mother Brain Metroid reference right

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Unique enemy spoiler:
    Kalibas totally had to be a Mother Brain Metroid reference right

I can't possibly see how it wasn't.
    First off, giant protected brain. Second, floor that burns you. Third, have to fight from the upraised platforms. Fourth, have to shoot the opening eye-looking weakpoints. And fifth, the eyes even shoot rings.

I definitely enjoy that fight, it's a great translation and homage.

• Options
    Are there any old school demons that haven’t been remade yet in 2016 and eternal? Only one I can think of is the heavy weapons guy maybe?

Please don't encourage id to bring back chaingunners.

Fuck chaingunners.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I could actually see them being a fun addition by letting the player draw their fire across multiple enemies while evading. Seeing them mow down half a dozen enemies while you run away would be a neat addition to battles, with the downside that they rip you up if you stop moving and they have a bead on you.

Alternatively (or maybe additionally), the glory kill lets you hose down enemies with their gun while using them as a meatshield.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I could actually see them being a fun addition by letting the player draw their fire across multiple enemies while evading. Seeing them mow down half a dozen enemies while you run away would be a neat addition to battles, with the downside that they rip you up if you stop moving and they have a bead on you.

Alternatively (or maybe additionally), the glory kill lets you hose down enemies with their gun while using them as a meatshield.

SOLD! I am completely down for getting a second or so of Doomblade-directed friendly fire.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Having never played doom 64, and basically forgetting it exists until now, it’s so delightfully odd. It’s like a French version of doom, or like an alternate universe doom from one universe over

It’s also interesting to hear Hugo Martins first doom that he owned was 64, because there’s a lot of visual design influence in the 2016 demons that feels like 64. In 64 the imps especially look very alien, like you get Grey vibes from them, and I felt like a lot of the demons in 2016 had this look too

Also weird they have the viewable security cameras from duke nukem, and some of the sound design is great, the machine gun feels great to fire

Not sure about the perspective tho, all the demons are huge, even the zombie guys, so you feel like a dwarf

Also given than Hugo Martin worked on pacific rim surely the dlc will have pilotable mechs? And they better control like pacific rim, with doom guy inside the head running and punching. Also just scale the same basic combat up to a huge size, and maybe slow down all the animations. Make it basically more doom eternal gameplay just scaled up, facing titans and corrupted human mechs, etc

Prohass on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mech grapples giant demon, holding it in place but unable to deliver a killing blow. Then the faceplate opens up, and a tiny man runs out, along the arm, and fires a BFG into the demons eye from point blank range.

There's your glory kill.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Mech grapples giant demon, holding it in place but unable to deliver a killing blow. Then the faceplate opens up, and a tiny man runs out, along the arm, and fires a BFG into the demons eye from point blank range.

There's your glory kill.

Speaking of tiny man, have any of you seen the third person mod for Doom Eternal? Doom Guy is actually hilariously tiny comparative to everything else.

• Options

There's your glory kill.

Speaking of tiny man, have any of you seen the third person mod for Doom Eternal? Doom Guy is actually hilariously tiny comparative to everything else.

He smol, but so very angry.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

There's your glory kill.

Hmmmm.
    Small.
    Very Angry.
    Tough to kill.
    Heals quickly when he's hurt.
    Extreme life span.
    Best at what he does.
    What he does isn't very nice.
    Also has blades on the back of his hand.

Doom Guy is actually Wolverine, right?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

There's your glory kill.

Hmmmm.
    Small.
    Very Angry.
    Tough to kill.
    Heals quickly when he's hurt.
    Extreme life span.
    Best at what he does.
    What he does isn't very nice.
    Also has blades on the back of his hand.

Doom Guy is actually Wolverine, right?

Nah, he's been considerinbly better written on average thanks to much smaller sample size. Also not jammed into every little thing for publicity (Wolverine Publicity is a real thing)

• Options
    You could also say he crosses over quite well too! https://youtu.be/8WwFD4M9odg (god I love this meme)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    You could also say he crosses over quite well too! (god I love this meme)

Have we seen one with Doomguy digging for his wallet to pay off Nook, only to have Isabelle sneak up and garrote Nook from behind?
    Doom solutions for Animal Crossing problems.