Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I finally beat the original Quake and it was really good, but now I understand why everyone always says the final boss is disappointing. I actually killed it and had no idea how I did it until I looked it up. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I don't think I fully understand what telefragging was until then.

I kind of want to check out some Quake levels/mods now. Does anyone have any spooky Halloween recommendations for Quake? Don't they usually have some kind of contest this time of year to create maps?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's spooky, but I hear Arcane Dumensions is one of the more impressive Quake moxs. Haven't given it a go yet, myself.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's spooky, but I hear Arcane Dumensions is one of the more impressive Quake moxs. Haven't given it a go yet, myself.

Seriously, basically everyone with a copy of Quake needs to check out Arcane Dimensions. It’s basically Super Quake. Incredible architecture, new enemy variants, it’s a bigger Quake 1 with more everything, plus destructible environmental stuff that really makes a case for it should have been in Quake all along.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's a Halloween jam thing, I think. This is last year's.
    https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/hwjam2.html

This one's pretty well regarded (Hell in a Can). Seems to be a creepy spaceship al a Alien.
    https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/casspq1.html

Well regarded unfinished map (doesn't have an exit condition, so I guess just get your fill of it and quit when you're done) (Cartographer's Nightmare).
    https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/kpcn2014.html

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Remembered the kernel level shit was gone from Eternal so I jumped back in. Holy crap this is hard.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Put me down for "I don't like buff totems". The problem is they don't really add anything to the combat: one spawns, you run to it and stomp it, then go on with the combat encounter. Just got to possessed Barons of Hell though. Starting to question if I'm going to be able to do this on Ultra-Violence because damn.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I present my 2nd custom map for Prodeus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIi6bXVMGVI

Map is called Shotgun Envy, it's a pistol only map. Originally the entire level was just going to be shotgun enemies, but given how difficult it is to prevent the player from getting the dropped shotguns, the enemy placement was going to get stale really quick. Thus, I added multiple enemies. I even added a secret "boss" encounter. If you find 3 specific switches, instead of exiting the level (like at the end of the video) you'll be taken down to fight another enemy.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I'm not going to say I'm a badass for one-shotting the slayer gate on the thrid level of the DLC, but I certainly feel like one.

Though I feel like the slayer gates are actually easier than the normal arenas in this DLC.

• Options
    Finally finished this DLC after getting stuck on the boss of level 2.

Gameplay thoughts
    I liked the arena fights when they had varied enemies, but whenever they introduce a gimmick, it just sucks. (Here's 20 shield dudes, or shoot these eye boxes, or the floor is some kind of random hurt floor.

The multi-tiered fight towards the start of level with a marauder and a tyrant was great. Always keeping on the move to keep the Murader at bay while you whittle down the Tyrant: that's the good stuff

Story spoilers
    Doomguy kills god's essence (who is his pal VEGA), betraying Hayden, removing probably his best tool to fight the demons, and THEN he resurrects the "Dark Lord".. I see how id thought that'd be what the Slayer would do, but I don't think it is.

Also, the Dark Lord being an anti-doomguy... I feel like that's jumping the shark a bit. Like, the dark Slayer should be the boss you fight BEFORE the Dark lord.

It'll be interesting to see what the second part brings. Sadly, the ancient gods appears to refer to Doom's version of God and Satan, so probably no lovecraftian Quake tie-in.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I just got past the second last Priest and to the Super Gore Nest, so I'm way behind this thread.

But I have not mashed dodge and jump that much ever. Geez.

I think I got lucky in the second part of that fight against the pair of hover boss guys. After I destroyed their hover boards, one got stuck on a bit of geometry in the air so I could focus on them one at a time.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Finally finished this DLC after getting stuck on the boss of level 2.

Gameplay thoughts
    I liked the arena fights when they had varied enemies, but whenever they introduce a gimmick, it just sucks. (Here's 20 shield dudes, or shoot these eye boxes, or the floor is some kind of random hurt floor.

The multi-tiered fight towards the start of level with a marauder and a tyrant was great. Always keeping on the move to keep the Murader at bay while you whittle down the Tyrant: that's the good stuff

Story spoilers
    Doomguy kills god's essence (who is his pal VEGA), betraying Hayden, removing probably his best tool to fight the demons, and THEN he resurrects the "Dark Lord".. I see how id thought that'd be what the Slayer would do, but I don't think it is.

Also, the Dark Lord being an anti-doomguy... I feel like that's jumping the shark a bit. Like, the dark Slayer should be the boss you fight BEFORE the Dark lord.

It'll be interesting to see what the second part brings. Sadly, the ancient gods appears to refer to Doom's version of God and Satan, so probably no lovecraftian Quake tie-in.

maaaan. These aren’t the Ancient Gods I ordered!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Okay so the boss fight in Blood Swamps really actually wasn't very hard on ultraviolence. The trick is: use the Ballista. It knocks out the phases very quickly, and you can just keep kiting around the map with double-dash to avoid the demons. Chainsaw when needed for more ammo.

EDIT: Also the Doom fan is adorable and I want to keep him. Put him to work rebuilding the mechsuit on the Doom fortress.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So got to the end of the 1st level on Nightmare.

...Why? The whole fight is just stupid. Yeah, I got through it, but it took a few tries. And now I can't see straight. Some tips for double Marauders: keep moving, you can't do a full combo, you can basically get 1-2 shots in before they team up, keep changing elevation, this stops them from continuously summoning those damn dogs, use the trash + shotgun as a quick escape, and once one goes down, the other is easy.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This game is exhausting. I have no other words. Its the Bloodborne of FPS games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Same, I nearly broke my mouse after doing the double eyeball fight in the blood swamps and I was on "Hurt me Plenty" these longer battle arenas are just like you said, exhausting. Just when you think you finished killing demons, the game goes "oh you're still here? have a buff totem'd maurader with some mancubi for good measure. "

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It blows me away that people can beat it on anything above normal, I struggled so hard to beat it on normal

Also the blood swamp boss isn’t a big deal compared to the 2 key arenas you have to beat beforehand, the damn spirits buffing everything and buff totems and Jesus

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    This game is exhausting. I have no other words. Its the Bloodborne of FPS games.

Nah, these games are way more fair than Dark Souls or similar.

Still need to punk the final boss the dlc, but beat everything else on Ultra-Violence. Looking foward to schooling it on Nightmare.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Blood Swamp boss was giving me grief until I realized one thing
    Always, ALWAYS have a blood punch ready to fuck up Pinkies. You can dash around the arena and basically not have to worry about the Hellknights, but the Pinky will absolutely catch up to your ass eventually. A single blood punch will kill him even if he's facing you.

Beyond that, the sniper shot was pretty effective against the eyes, since you can nail them twice in one opening. Glory killing fodder in-between rounds to get your blood punches up. Beyond that, as I said, you can keep ahead of the Hellknights and just dash around the arena, taking potshots at the eyes when they open.

Also, don't forget to light shit on fire before you punch the eye block into the shield, as it'll get you free armor when the shield auto-kills all the enemies.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Cantido wrote: »

Nah, these games are way more fair than Dark Souls or similar.

Still need to punk the final boss the dlc, but beat everything else on Ultra-Violence. Looking foward to schooling it on Nightmare.

Good luck, you will need it. The MoE for fights is even thinner than in the main campaign.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Update: I now dislike Summoner Spirits more than Marauders. The beam mod was far less useful than heat blast, and now I have to carry that damn thing around lest I forget and the spirit possesses something I really don't want it to.

Soggybiscuit on
  • Options
    I haven't been mad at a game in a long time, but boy oh boy is this expansion making me angry.

Hugo Martin can burn in hell, right next to a BUFF TOTEM MARAUDER. That one took me a bit, because the fucker recovers as you are shooting him.

• Options
    I haven't been mad at a game in a long time, but boy oh boy is this expansion making me angry.

Hugo Martin can burn in hell, right next to a BUFF TOTEM MARAUDER. That one took me a bit, because the fucker recovers as you are shooting him.

I always make a beeline for the buff totems. (Or rather, I dash around blindly looking for it.)

• Options

I always make a beeline for the buff totems. (Or rather, I dash around blindly looking for it.)

That's the thing, you can't here. You have to kill the buff totem marauder to access the damn thing.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Super shitty into bfg. There's no reason to use bfg ammo on anything that's not a marauder in the dlc

• Options
    Nah, I can handle the Marauder with my normal guns no problem.

Whereas sometimes I need a little help to kill that Baron and Arch-vile standing next to each other in one hit.

• Options
    For me it's a risk thing, esp on UV or nightmare. SS into bfg simply deletes a huge pain in the butt. Barons are a joke even empowered, and while archys are a pain, they're squishy (marauders are squishy too, but that fucking shield)

• Options
    Spirit Barons on Nightmare are crazy difficult. It basically takes me 11-12 rockets to get one down. And they can catch you even if you dashing around to avoid them.

For all their bluster, I’ve always thought tyrants were super easy. They are just too damn big to be effective.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, couple days old, but they remade PT in Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWs-S6N3p0s

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The final boss is so wild it crashed my computer.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Regarding the final boss of DLC1
    Kisses to whichever Dev decided to put checkpoints on that fight. Good man. Kind man.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Regarding the final boss of DLC1
    Kisses to whichever Dev decided to put checkpoints on that fight. Good man. Kind man.

Yes to this so much

• Options
    Prodeus has released into Early Access! Available on Steam and GOG for $25. Totally worth it. If you are into retro FPS, I really think you're in for a treat. Plus, there's already more than 70 community maps available (including 2 of mine!). Tons of content with this game.

• Options
    I didn't realize Prodeus was being made by a couple of Raven Software vets. It was already on my list, but that shoots it to the top.

• Options
    Cool video breaking down what buffs the Possessor gives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDdZBSP-yNM

Ballista and Super Shotgun seem like the worst choices against the possessed.

• Options
    So, the slayer gate in AG1 3rd mission? That was... weak sauce 1 baron/1 spectre, 2 blood angels/1 hell knight, 1 marauder. Bunch of gargoyles/makyr drones for fodder.

I was expecting something more difficult, so I played conservatively and died a whole lot, like I was expecting a double Doom Hunter/Baron/Tyrant thing, and no, it ended at 1 Marauder.

If I had known that, I woulda cleared the trash with a BFG and focused the Maruader down in a couple of volleys.

• Options
    Okay, so I'm not the only one who thought that was easier than the rest of the level.

New Doom mechanics video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBlwsh8I2g

The gun-sway / floor damage thing blew my mind.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I gotta say Prodeus is pretty freaking awesome. It's essentially Doom Maker with its built-in map browser and super easy to use level editor. Definitely recommended for any oldschool shooter fans.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Aumni wrote: »
    I gotta say Prodeus is pretty freaking awesome. It's essentially Doom Maker with its built-in map browser and super easy to use level editor. Definitely recommended for any oldschool shooter fans.

Is there support for custom assets? Like textures/models/sounds/weapons/enemies/etc?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Aumni wrote: »

Is there support for custom assets? Like textures/models/sounds/weapons/enemies/etc?

Not directly, yet.

• Options
    If they got custom assets working in a decent way, the community would explode.