As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Once I'm in the house and have a dedicated game room I'm considering getting the foam insert things for Zombicide minis and hanging them inside wood frames on the wall.

Functional art?!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    When you're sleeving cards (Tokaido and its Crossroads expansion) and realize they no longer fit into their box inserts...

I'm a little bummed, but not enough to not sleeve them. I love the way the cards feel and look now encased in plastic. At least the Unearth cards fit perfectly.

Edit: Success! I had to move some things around and put the Crossroad characters in the base game box, but I got claimed victory in the end.

Is this the standard or deluxe edition?

It's the standard edition. The character card slots in both the original and expansion boxes were perfect for placing their respective sleeved cards. And then I just spread out the hero cards atop the base game insert. There was still enough room to put down the board and manual and have the box stay perfectly shut.

I've got Inis, Unearth, and Tokaido sleeved. I must sleeve more! The cards feel so nice in the hand with the plastic. Eldritch Horror and its Forsaken Lore expansion would be scary to do, though. I believe they collectively have more than 550 cards between them? Sweet mother...

Eldritch has a lot of non-standard card sizes, too.

Non standard? They're color coded...?

Well. Some of them are smaller than normal playing card sleeves, I mean.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Today was good. We played Concordia and Ladies & Gentlemen, but traded out Inis for Chinatown.

I won Concordia and Chinatown, both for the second time ever. Yay me!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    While packing my sister in law saw all the games and pretty much said the following, "Holy crap, how many games do you have that we haven't even played yet? We need to pick a day and play them all so we aren't learning them at 11pm like we end up usually doing."

I said, "I've been trying to get people to do that for years, but they don't want to learn new games."

So she agreed to try and set up something and actually be willing to learn games instead of playing Monikers, Resistance, or Codenames again for the nth time.

So yeah, hopefully after we move that will happen. She probably hasn't played about 1/3 or so of my collection. Maybe up to 1/2.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We also did the final case of Consulting Detective. We figured out who did it pretty early, but missed a vital detail that, while it didn't lose us any points, did mean we hadn't grasped the whole thing. I'm not sure there was a way to figure everything out, though.

I have had the expansions on order for over a month at my local boardgame store, but they are almost suicidally awful at fulfilling orders, so maybe I'll just pick them up from someone else. It's frustrating when you want to support a local store but they're just abysmal at exchanging money for goods and services.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Just got Betrayal at the House on the Hill and played it for the first time this weekend. It was fun but we got Haunt 50 which
    is the one where no one is a traitor and you look for treasure. It felt a bit anticlimactic after explaining the whole traitor thing to everyone.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So.. um..

Not that it's a big deal or anything, or that the forums are blowing up as a result, but..

*cough*

adn49_box_left.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/boot-up-and-run/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/system-refresh/
    https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/00/9c/009c2fa5-a0c2-402a-acf3-6e051613e4ca/adn49_cardlist.pdf

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/sovereign-sight/

Goddamn. If FFG had announced this at GenCon, it would have blown everyone's minds. I know why they didn't (the focus was on L5R), but still!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm probably missing something not being a netrunner player, but what's mind-blowing about a new base set comprised of already existing cards?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I'm probably missing something not being a netrunner player, but what's mind-blowing about a new base set comprised of already existing cards?

A few things:

1) The game's been stagnant for a while. No new announcements for a very long time, and it has been a hard sell to new players.
    2) This new set has been completely rebalanced - apparently Damon Stone did a shit-ton of work in building it.
    3) This means a new rulebook, which the game needs.
    4) This means they can retire a ton of problem cards from the original core in organized play, shaking up the meta something fierce (as core cards are "evergreen").

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    How many cores do you have to buy to get playsets?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

3 as is standard. Fuck FFG

• Options

It's still going to be 3 for a complete set. However, the balance is a lot better value-wise. In the original core, there were 11 cards that were one-ofs, with 7 of them really getting play. Now, there's like 29 cards, and they make more sense from a new player perspective.

Full list of revised cards:
    https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/00/9c/009c2fa5-a0c2-402a-acf3-6e051613e4ca/adn49_cardlist.pdf

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

3 as is standard. Fuck FFG

Sounds like Damon Stone spent hundreds, if not thousands of man-hours to deliver a balanced product for both OP and playing the game out of a single core. He cited how Scorched Earth was a bad card for new players, for instance, because it could so quickly stop a player from enjoying the game, and some cards like the tutors are only one-ofs to make sure they are rare when learning the game.

But hey. You and I are on different sides of the fence when it comes to FFG's practices, so we likely won't agree on this. :)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    FFG's business model is highly successful and that is fair

However whenever I observe their activities I often think "fuck you FFG" because they really do rinse the cash out of people

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

However whenever I observe their activities I often think "fuck you FFG" because they really do rinse the cash out of people

Base game->expansions->bloat->New streamlined edition!->repeat

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

*Stares lovingly at Descent collection*

... It's an abusive relationship, really.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    After going to Washingcon and finding no one to run nets with, I cannot be exited for this. Wake me when they make an app or buy Jinteki.

*Plays Galaxy Trucker online*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

*Stares lovingly at Descent collection*

... It's an abusive relationship, really.

In fairness to FFG, 10 years ago I'd have used a lot more of the crap they've sold me; my life's not in a place where I can have a giant stack of Descent and another of Kingdom Death and another of Gloomhaven and play them all anymore, if it ever was.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The story of growing older... Plenty of toys, no time to play

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got into Netrunner for a while, but quickly soured on it. Not including x3 copies of every card in the core set (or at least having a "Deluxe Set" that offered them all) was a slap in the face. Combine that with dying way too much to kill Corp decks made me super salty. I ended up giving up on the game after less than a year.

I see they are going down the same path again with x3 cores so clearly they've learned nothing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I got into Netrunner for a while, but quickly soured on it. Not including x3 copies of every card in the core set (or at least having a "Deluxe Set" that offered them all) was a slap in the face. Combine that with dying way too much to kill Corp decks made me super salty. I ended up giving up on the game after less than a year.

I see they are going down the same path again with x3 cores so clearly they've learned nothing.

They killed the hardcore kill corp decks.

And there's no way they could afford to sell a full set for $40. This one is at least a lot better balanced.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think as far as casual play between friends goes the Core Set was totes fine, and my gut says this new one will probably be better for that. If you're building both players' decks, having a wider variety seems better than the consistency of having a full set of everything. And I didn't manage to get out and play all that much against people with their own collections, but the few times I did my decks built (almost entirely? it's been a while) out of the core did more than decently.

Now if you're talking tournaments or something then yeah I assume you'd want to be buying more stuff, but at that point you'd be looking beyond the core anyway.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Well, there go my plans to trade my existing base copy for something decent in a math trade.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Well this core set announcement has killed my budding desire to get back into netrunner.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Speaking of GLOOMHAVEN, shipping update today that appears to have been written in Prothean because I needed Liara T'Soni to help me translate it. As best she can determine, American copies should arrive in November. I suspect they want to have them here by PAX Unplugged. I guess ?

Fairchild on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Excited to (potentially) finish up the last session of Pandemic Legacy this week. Have definitely, definitely gotten the money's worth out of this one, even if it's something we can't play again afterwards. Best value board game purchase I've ever made by far, short of maybe Dominion.

• Options
    Damon Stone on the Revised Core:
    I don't think I lied about anything regarding this project. It was something Lukas Litzsinger and I had been on about for a long while. We had finally cooked up a plan that we thought might be able to sell the execs on it. It was Lukas who did the presentation and I fielded questions and together we managed to sway them. I then spent a LOT of time trying to make an actual product that they would sign off on once Lukas sold them on the need.

Michael Boggs was the one who over saw the final development of the product, and is probably largely responsible for it getting announced now.

A real team effort. I know that when we're behind the monolithic double F logo it seems like we don't care and maybe even take you guys for granted, nothing can be further from the truth. We love this and every other game we design and develop for, but when you work for a company there is always a very large team of people behind every product and every decision and it takes time to affect change. None of us are perfect but we will do everything we can to make the best games we can.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

And there's no way they could afford to sell a full set for $40. This one is at least a lot better balanced.

Nice that they killed off the kill decks, because I would insta-concede against any Jinteki deck. I think what finally broke me was back-to-back games against kill decks where I ran and died in three turns, then didn't run and died in 6 turns. No more for me thanks.

They don't have to sell a full set for $40, just give players the option for everything in a Deluxe Set for $60 or whatever. Throw in some collectible bits or whatever to sweeten the deal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Nice that they killed off the kill decks, because I would insta-concede against any Jinteki deck. I think what finally broke me was back-to-back games against kill decks where I ran and died in three turns, then didn't run and died in 6 turns. No more for me thanks.

They don't have to sell a full set for $40, just give players the option for everything in a Deluxe Set for $60 or whatever. Throw in some collectible bits or whatever to sweeten the deal.

Yeah, I think the main thing is that with any of their core sets there's going to be stuff you don't need when buying multiples.

In the case of Netrunner, couldn't they just do a data pack or whatever with the same cards as the core but none of the extra stuff you don't need multiples of? You'd still end up buying two of the pack to complete the sets, of course.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I get the idea behind a new core, I really do. I get that they want to escape some of their initial fucked up balance decisions.

But having to buy 3x of the core once already sucked, but hey, it was an investment I made that I'd never need to do again. And it was already daunting enough mathing out the cost of the data packs to catch back up.

But now I'll need to do 3x core again?

I might as well just play L5R, or get an entirely new boardgame or three at that point. Gah.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I get the idea behind a new core, I really do. I get that they want to escape some of their initial fucked up balance decisions.

But having to buy 3x of the core once already sucked, but hey, it was an investment I made that I'd never need to do again. And it was already daunting enough mathing out the cost of the data packs to catch back up.

I might as well just play L5R, or get an entirely new boardgame or three at that point. Gah.

Depends. Do you own the two original cycles?

If so, and you already have a single old core, you'll probably be fine with a single of the new one. The new core seems to be pretty good at topping up a old one to 3x of those cards that came back.

If you don't own those cycles, getting a couple of the new cores is actually cheaper than going back and buying those cycles.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

If so, and you already have a single old core, you'll probably be fine with a single of the new one. The new core seems to be pretty good at topping up a old one to 3x of those cards that came back.

If you don't own those cycles, getting a couple of the new cores is actually cheaper than going back and buying those cycles.

I've got 3x Original Core, and every card released up until The Source.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    PMAvers wrote: »

I've got 3x Original Core, and every card released up until The Source.

You would have to buy no new cores, then, since you've already got a full playset of everything that's in there. There's no new cards in the Revised core, everything that's "new" is pulled from Genesis and Spin and was going to rotate out. Unless you want the new art.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    This is what I get for not reading! *egg on my face*

• Options

Yeah. It's actually pretty bold on their part - existing players won't have any reason to buy the new set.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah. It's actually pretty bold on their part - existing players won't have any reason to buy the new set.

Yeah, the core is almost entirely for new players. For old, existing players who already bought everything they just need to know what cards are still legal and what cards aren't.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So.. um..

Not that it's a big deal or anything, or that the forums are blowing up as a result, but..

*cough*

adn49_box_left.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/boot-up-and-run/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/system-refresh/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/sovereign-sight/

Goddamn. If FFG had announced this at GenCon, it would have blown everyone's minds. I know why they didn't (the focus was on L5R), but still!

It's hardly that big a deal. We knew sets were rotating out so a new starter pack was expected.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Well, we tried Pandemonium last night, the Spanish/English homage to 80's and 90's horror films and... ya know, I didn't hate it. It was goofy fun. It was a pretty basic dudes on a map game that required quite a bit of strategy to get through even the opening mission.

no8n6y4h4w6i.jpg

Pandemonium is a game about a metric fuckton of horror stereotype hero sorts in a terrible alternate dimension trying to find the Lord of Evil and kill him then wipe each other out so that one of them can take his place (as they all have terrible terrible backstories). We started out with Sara Conner, Reagan McNeill and Generic Preacher trying to get some oars to a boat or a battery to a car so they could get out of the cabin from Evil Dead since "God" had woken up and was slowly coming after us. If "God" enters your space you die (not permanent in this mission anyway but it does reset your character which blows as there's 4 skill trees you can advacne up by killing monsters and exploring alternate dimensions).

Now, the oars were in a separate out-building next to us and the car was kitty corner in another but both the battery and the boat itself were in the boathouse which was currently infested with a Sharknado. Both the Sharknado and "God" were boss monsters which are unkillable. "God" was brutal but only moves one space a turn; Sharknado doesn't move at all but attacks everything on the entire tile with a 7 (!) point attack at the end of every turn.

Anyway we played twice, died incredibly quickly the first time as we spread out and got swarmed by monsters (including Sadako and a mass of Critters and Chucky dolls) but highlights include Sarah Conner armed with Cujo on a chain hook, Generic Preacher weilding a lawnmower and the haunted television from Poltergeist and Reagan constantly trying to run and faceplanting while using the Screaming Sphere from Phantasm.

So yeah, VERY goofy. And everyone pretty much said they didn't like it but after the game we sat for a good 30 minutes going over alternate strategies and looking at the other characters and sussing out what they'd be good for. All in all I think it's a good game that DESPERATELY needs a rules re-write.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    *Squees like Archer*

The Kickstarter of Evolution is now available!

I got to play the demo over the weekend, its fucking sweet.

EDIT - Link removed, thanks Ketar

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Nice. But you should take the link to the Kickstarter out of your post. It is verboten.