As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    @MrBody I should have no more commodities and three more TG

And the new objective is missing from the objective list

I'm counting 20 on the last update.

You spent 6 building units in your home system, then 8 on the objective, leaving you with 6. Then Winnu gave you 3, putting you up to 9.

The Diplomacy card will put you up to 12.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah, I'd not counted I just spotted the commodities were there and assumed the transaction hadn't gone through.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The commodities were a mistake (fixed) but the trade goods were correct.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Round 5 - Action Phase

Map
    FqULHvzm.png
    full map

(unit visual reference)
    (max component restrictions per player: 8 destroyers, 8 cruisers, 4 carriers, 5 dreadnoughts, 2 war suns, 5 PDS, 3 space docks)

Objectives
    Public
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool. 1 VP Jol-Nar
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. 1 VP
    I- Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. 1 VP Creuss Letnev L1z1x
    I- Negotiate Trade Routes - Spend 5 trade goods. 1 VP Jol-Nar Letnev
    I- Erect a Monument - Spend 8 resources. 1 VP Letnev Jol-Nar
    II- Manipulate Galactic Law- Spend 16 influence. 2 VP
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Secret
    Letnev Spark a rebellion - Win a combat against a player who has the most victory points. 1 VP

Victory Track
    MrBlarney - 1
    Elvenshae - 3
    Mojo - 3
    Hedgethorn - 2
    Brody - 4
    Preda - 1
    Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another. "Black player" is just the example; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney **Speaker**
    7 action cards
    3 secret objectives
    Creuss promissory: Cease Fire- After the Creuss player activates a system containing your units: The Creuss player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Creuss player
    3JdCinC.png

Elvenshae
    5 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    Letnev promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Letnev's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Letnev player.
    L1z1x promissory: Cease Fire- After the L1z1x player activates a system containing your units: The L1z1x player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the L1z1x player
    Jol-Naw promissory: Research agreement- After the Jol-Nar player researches a technology, you may research the same technology. Then, return this note to the Jol-Nar player
    hSZONN9.png

Mojo
    7 action cards
    2 secret objectives
    Arborec promissory: Cease Fire- After the Arborec player activates a system containing your units: The Arborec player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Arborec player
    Arborec promissory note: Trade Agreement- When the Arborec player replenishes commodities: the Arborec player gives you all of his commodities. Then return this card to the Arborec player.
    Letnev promissory note: Political Secret- When an agenda is revealed: The Letnev player cannot vote, use action cards, or use faction abilities until after the agenda has been resolved. Then return this card to the Letnev player.
    qEt3tFu.png

Hedgethorn
    6 action cards
    3 secret objectives
    Crown of Emphidia - Law - A player gains this card and 1 victory point if they capture a planet in the owner's home system. Then the previous owner loses 1 victory point.
    Winnu promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Winnu's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Winnu player.
    Nq8UcNW.png

Brody
    7 action cards
    0 secret objectives
    1 claimed secret objective
    Winnu promissory: Cease Fire- After the Winnu player activates a system containing your units: The Winnu player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Winnu player
    L1z1x promissory note: Trade Agreement- When the L1z1x player replenishes commodities: the L1z1x player gives you all of his commodities. Then return this card to the L1z1x player.
    5tbEzSv.png

Preda
    3 action cards
    3 secret objectives
    Letnev promissory: Cease Fire- After the Letnev player activates a system containing your units: The Letnev player cannot move units into that system. Then, return this note to the Letnev player
    Arborec promissory note: Support from the throne. Gain 1 victory point. If you activate a system containing Arborec's units, lose 1 victory point and return this card to the Arborec player.
    HRv2yYw.png

MrBlarney Leadership 1
    Mojo Diplomacy 2
    Preda Politics 3
    Brody Trade 5
    Elvenshae Technology 7
    Hedgethorn Imperial 8

MrBody on
  • Options
    Just double checking. Letnev is the only one to have claimed a secret objective so far?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I haven't

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I haven’t either.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    No completed secret objectives on my end.

Activate the L1z1x Home System. (TP 2 --> 1)
    Exhaust [0.0.0] (5R) and Bereg (5R) to build 1 Dreadnought (4R), 2 Cruisers (4R), 2 Fighters (1R), and 2 Infantry (1R) at [0.0.0].
    (Forego Sarween Tools bonus) (TP/FP/SP: 1/4/2)

Gotta get that homeland defense checked out. Hey Preda, you want to be friends since we're both in last place? Crashing our fleets into each other seems counterproductive.

@Mojo_Jojo has the next action.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Activate Lazar/sakluag
    Move the two infantry on sakluag to lazar
    Exhaust Sakulag (3R)
    Build 2 infantry(1)
    Build 4 fighters (2)
    Build one destroyer (free from saween tools)

@Elvenshae you've got a PDS shot from Arnor if you want to take it

@Preda 's action

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d10

1d10 5 [1d10=5]

• Options
    Can’t recall the target number / mods (phone posting) - does that hit with all mods, @Mojo_Jojo ?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    No, you miss by 1. PDS II hits on 5, but Anti-mass deflectors gives a -1 to opposing PDS rolls.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    No completed secret objectives on my end.

Activate the L1z1x Home System. (TP 2 --> 1)
    Exhaust [0.0.0] (5R) and Bereg (5R) to build 1 Dreadnought (4R), 2 Cruisers (4R), 2 Fighters (1R), and 2 Infantry (1R) at [0.0.0].
    (Forego Sarween Tools bonus) (TP/FP/SP: 1/4/2)

Gotta get that homeland defense checked out. Hey Preda, you want to be friends since we're both in last place? Crashing our fleets into each other seems counterproductive.

@Mojo_Jojo has the next action.

I've already shifty interdimensional pest to squat this turn. More than willing to not dish out with you too!

That said, Activate Winnu. The three dreadnought go out and pick up A GF from Mellon and a Fighter and a GF from Torkan than double back.

@Elvenshae for PDS fire, than I'll play an action card before Invasion.

• Options
    @Preda

I don’t think you can do that. Ships in an activated system can’t leave.

• Options
    "• The ship can move out of the active system and back into it
    if its move value is high enough."

Page 16 of the reference.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    "• The ship can move out of the active system and back into it
    if its move value is high enough."

Page 16 of the reference.

I was searching for it too, remebering to have read it before, but Brody beat me to it... @Elvenshae

• Options
    ... then why the hell does the rulebook state ...
    A player cannot move units out of a system that contains one of his command tokens.

That's a big freakin' miss. Cripes, this game's rules, sometimes.

Geth, roll 1d10t6 for PDS

PDS:
    1d10t6 0 [1d10t6=2]

• Options
    One of these times, my PDS will actually hit something. Please continue, @Preda.

• Options
    Play "Disable- Play at the start of an invasion in which your opponent has a PDS unit. Your opponent loses planetary shield and space cannon abilities for that invasion. "

@Elvenshae @Brody @MrBlarney @Mojo_Jojo @Hedgethorn for sabotages.

• Options
    @Elvenshae the Learn to Play is more concerned with broad strokes rules, and getting you through a turn the first time, rather than the the variety of corner cases that come up when you get into complicated tactical concerns.

• Options
    I get that, but there's a big difference between "broad strokes" and "factually incorrect."

• Options
    edited December 2017
    You're right, it would have been more accurate to say that "Ships can not end movement outside the system with a command token if they start their movement in the system with that command token". But that is wordy, a little confusing, and pointless if you don't yet realize why you might want to move out of and back into a system. I actually read the Rules Reference before we started playing, and there were a lot of rules like that which just did not make sense at the time.

Edit: Not saying other people didn't read the reference, just using it as anecdotal evidence that confusing rules are confusing until you see why they exist.

Brody on

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    No sabotage.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    All you'd have to do is add "... unless it's the active system," and it works. So ...
    • A ship must end its movement in the active system.
    • A ship cannot pass through a system that contains another player’s ships, excluding fighters.
    • A player cannot move units out of a system that contains one of his command tokens, unless it's the active system.

Done! Simple! Accurate!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh, and ...

No sabotage.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    No sabotage

Was the movement rule the same in 3e? I would have just assumed it fell under entering an activated system

• Options
    Oh, right.

No Sab.

@Mojo_Jojo No idea, never played 3e.

• Options
    I assume Hedge doesn't want to sabotage this. We'll wait though.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    No Sabotage play.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Ok, everyone got in, let's go to Invasion. Bombard away!

Geth, roll 3d10t5 for Obliterating puny Invaders!

Obliterating puny Invaders!:
    3d10t5 2 [3d10t5=6, 1, 6]

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    All you'd have to do is add "... unless it's the active system," and it works. So ...
    • A ship must end its movement in the active system.
    • A ship cannot pass through a system that contains another player’s ships, excluding fighters.
    • A player cannot move units out of a system that contains one of his command tokens, unless it's the active system.

Done! Simple! Accurate!

Nup.
    You can move ships through a system with a token on it, even if you can't move anything additional out of it.

In any case, I went looking for the mentioned rule because not being able to move activated ships made no sense :/

discrider on
  • Options
    Creuss GF obliterated. I'll drop my 2GF and take back what's rightfully mine.

Unless @Elvenshae has any card to play, @Brody is next.

• Options
    No cards from me.

• Options
    Play Trade.

Refresh @MrBlarney 's commodities, cashing in the L1Z1X trade promissory note.

@Mojo_Jojo @Preda @Elvenshae @Hedgethorn , 2 TG/Commodities if you want me to trigger your refresh, or to buy the secondary via Command Tokens.

Also, if anyone wants to do a little trading, I have now commodities to do so with.

• Options
    Pass on the secondary

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Pass on trade secondary.

• Options
    @Brody

In light of our long-standing cooperation and mutual friendship and the fact that you stabbed me in the back, bro, how about you provide this one to me for free.

• Options
    @Elvenshae Free refresh and a 2 for 2 Commodity exchange?

• Options
    Done!

• Options