As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d10t9 for Carriers
    Geth roll 1d10t5 for Dreadnought

Carriers:
    2d10t9 1 [2d10t9=9, 3]
    Dreadnought:
    1d10t5 1 [1d10t5=8]

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Lose one carrier. Absent card play, that's that.

• Options
    I have one carrier, one wounded dreadnought, and two ground forces remaining.

Begin Invasion.

Geth roll 2d10t5 for Bombardment

Bombardment:
    2d10t5 1 [2d10t5=9, 4]

• Options
    (Two bombardment dice because of Plasma Scoring.)

Pause for @Brody to assign hits / card play before landing my ground forces.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nope, we go to 3 GF vs 1. You can go ahead and do my GF rolls, no further extraneous actions.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I lose the one ground force that was on the destroyed carrier, right? Or do I get to pretend they took an escape pod over to the other carrier, as long as there's sufficient transport room? I can't find any explicit text in the rulebook.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure by rules 39.2 and 84.2 that the ground force that was on the carrier that was destroyed is also destroyed, regardless of other transport capacity in the system. Happy to be corrected about that. But I think it's worth just moving on.

Commence Invasion of Mecatol Rex.
    Geth roll 2d10t8 for Arborec infantry
    Geth roll 1d10t8 for Letnev infantry

Arborec infantry:
    2d10t8 0 [2d10t8=5, 7]
    Letnev infantry:
    1d10t8 1 [1d10t8=10]

• Options
    Arborec loses one infantry.

Geth roll 1d10t8 for Arborec infantry
    Geth roll 1d10t8 for Letnev infantry

Arborec infantry:
    1d10t8 1 [1d10t8=8]
    Letnev infantry:
    1d10t8 0 [1d10t8=5]

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure that infantry are no longer assigned to specific carriers and so long as there is capacity they survive, which was a change from TI3, but I can't check right now

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Victory! Arborec takes Mecatol Rex (for now.)
    Arborec units remaining: 1 carrier, 1 wounded dreadnought, 1 infantry on the planet.
    Use Arborec's infantry production power: Exhaust Nestphar to build a second Dreadnought over Mecatox Rex (Cost of 3 because of Sarween tools)

(If Mojo is right, then I have 2 infantry on Mecatol, and I'll also exhaust Gral to build a Destroyer.) @MrBody, can we get an official ruling on this?

@Preda, your turn up next.

Edit:
    Given the clarifications from Mojo & Ketar, just to clarify my orders and the situation in Mecatol:

- Space Units in Mecatol after the end of the turn: 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 1 wounded dreadnought, 1 fresh dreadnought
    - 2 Infantry on the Planet
    - Nestphar and Gral exhausted

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    That was great, you guys.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The final step for Space Combat is:

After a combat ends, the player with one or more ships remaining in the system is the winner of the combat; the other player is the loser of the combat. If neither player has a ship remaining, the combat ends in a draw and there is no winner.
    • If the winner of the combat has fighters or ground forces in space that exceed his ships’ capacity in the active system, he must destroy the excess units of his choice.

Mojo_Jojo is correct that units are not considered to be assigned to individual ships, but simply to the space they are in as long as there is sufficient capacity. We had to go through that in the other game.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Politics Primary. Unless someone want to make an enormous bribe I'll take the speaker token.
    @MrBody for 2 action cards.
    @Hedgethorn @Mojo_Jojo @Brody @MrBlarney @Elvenshae for secondary choice.

Wrong time...

Preda on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Pass on politics secondary

Edited because that card hasn't actually been played

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    HEEEYYYYYY....I messed up the turn order. It should be @MrBlarney's turn (Leadership), not @Preda's turn (Politics) after Imperial.

Sorry, I was looking at the turn order from the last round. Must have been way too excited about my combat victory. Sorry y'all.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Correct. Units are not assigned to specific ships and are just considered to be "in space"

It is only when capacity is exceeded that you have to kill them off.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Correct. Units are not assigned to specific ships and are just considered to be "in space"

(And only after space combat has concluded. You can be over-capacity during space combat.
    But I don't think anyone was worried about that.)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »

(And only after space combat has concluded. You can be over-capacity during space combat.
    But I don't think anyone was worried about that.)

Also, it appears that Space Combat takes place after the Space Cannon stage, which actually takes place during the movement phase of a tactical action; so, presumably, some space cannon shots could cause you to discard fighters / GFs before combat starts.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Since it's been one round around the table, can I request a map or status update? I noticed one more error in the action record, following Brody's play of the Trade Strategy Card: he already used up my Trade Agreement promissory note last round, so it should not have been available to him this round. I guess @Brody should have a second chance to decide whether or not to refresh my commodities as well (since I don't seem to have anything to offer him, following his transaction with Elvenshae).

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I didn't use it last round, I instead purchased my own refresh through the secondary ability wit ha Command Token.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38664796/#Comment_38664796

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Oh, right. I think I made the same comprehension mistake last round too. I really gotta invest more attention to this thing. As it stands, I think I need to make a play against Mecatol Rex myself. So:

Activate the Mecatol Rex system. (TP 1 --> 0)
    Move in 2 Super-Dreadnought IIs, 1 Carrier (via Gravity Drive), 6 Fighters, and 1 Infantry II from the Beta Wormhole system, picking up 1 Infantry II from Tar'mann, and
    1 Cruiser II from Tar'mann, curving through Bereg-Lirta IV to pick up 1 Infantry II from Bereg before moving back through Tar'mann.

It is time for the true successors of the ancient Lazax return to their rightful home.
    @Hedgethorn for reactions.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Now I feel like I also should take a pop at Metacol Rex on my turn to avoid being left out

• Options
    @MrBlarney You don't have any TG to pay me not to take a PDS shot. I'll happily take your racial note to power down my space cannons though

• Options
    I'm going to wait and see if Mojo's PDS fires before reacting.

• Options
    @Mojo_Jojo: I won't give away my racial promissory note for a single PDS unit. You can decide on whether or not to fire on your own volition.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FIRE
    Geth roll 2d10t6 for PDS (+! dice from plasma scoring, -1 to hit from MrBlarney's antimass deflectors)
    Not using Graviton laser system

PDS (+! dice from plasma scoring, -1 to hit from MrBlarney's antimass deflectors):
    2d10t6 1 [2d10t6=7, 4]

• Options
    @mrblarney to assign one hit

• Options
    I'll damage a Dreadnought.

Start of Combat

L1z1x has 2 Super-Dreadnought IIs (1 damaged), 1 Cruiser II, 1 Carrier, and 6 Fighters. (3 Infantry II carried)
    Arborec has 2 Dreadnoughts (1 damaged), 1 Carrier, and 1 Destroyer.

@Hedgethorn for initial combat effects.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Anti-Fighter Barrage from Destroyer.

Geth roll 2d10t9 for anti-fighter barrage.

anti-fighter barrage:
    2d10t9 1 [2d10t9=2, 10]

• Options
    One L1z1x fighter destroyed.
    Declare retreat. Ships will be leaving at the end of the combat round. Infantry is staying on Mecatol Rex.

Geth roll 2d10t5 for Dreadnoughts
    Geth roll 1d10t9 for Carrier
    Geth roll 1d10t9 for Destroyer

Dreadnoughts:
    2d10t5 2 [2d10t5=7, 8]
    Carrier:
    1d10t9 0 [1d10t9=7]
    Destroyer:
    1d10t9 0 [1d10t9=3]

• Options
    @MrBlarney to assign two more hits, and then roll for attack.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Play "Shields Holding" to cancel hits from the first combat round:
    Shields Holding
    Before you assign hits to your ships during a space combat: Cancel up to 2 hits.

L1z1x has 2 Super-Dreadnought IIs (1 damaged), 1 Cruiser II, 1 Carrier, and 5 Fighters. (3 Infantry II carried)

Geth roll 2d10t4+1d10t6+1d10t9+5d10t9 for L1z1x Combat Round 1

L1z1x Combat Round 1:
    2d10t4+1d10t6+1d10t9+5d10t9 5 [2d10t4=4, 8] [1d10t6=10] [1d10t9=10] [5d10t9=1, 5, 3, 10, 1]

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Five hits rolled, enough to destroy all retreating Arborec ships unless Action Cards are played.
    @Hedgethorn to resolve space combat.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Man that is brutal. Why couldn't I have had that roll?

• Options
    Well. That ended spectacularly poorly.

All Arborec ships destroyed.

I assume you're invading, so I'll play this now:

Play Bunker- Play at the start of an invasion, apply a -4 modifier to bombardment rolls against planets you control.

• Options
    @MrBlarney for bombardment rolls.

• Options
    Yep. Land 3 Infantry II units on Mecatol Rex.

Pre-Combat Effects

L1z1x has 3 Infantry II.
    Arborec has 2 Letani Warriors.

L1z1x uses bombardment on Mecatol Rex with 2 Super-Dreadnought IIs, +1 die roll for Plasma Scoring and -4 to hit due to "Bunker".

Geth roll 3d10t8 for L1z1x Bombardment

L1z1x Bombardment:
    3d10t8 1 [3d10t8=3, 5, 8]

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Hmm... pausing to check something with MrBody.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    1 Arborec infantry on Mecatol Rex killed.
    Play Parley- After a player commits infantry to land on a planet you control, return those infantry to the space area.

Invasion over. Have a nice day @MrBlarney.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Hmmmm....shoot. I looks like I dealt that card to MrBlarney on September 23rd. Then with a bookkeeping mistake I dealt it to Hedgethorn again on October 5. There's only one copy and it should have gone to Blarney.

Not sure what to right now since it's not fair to either player for this invasion. Redeal a random card to each?