As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This YouTube Thread has been removed due to a copyright claim

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/vGVK4ibMI-Y

Sadly, he went the way I was afraid he would. While there has been lobbying by the tax preparation industry, when California attempted to implement their pilot return free filing program, the major opponent wasn't the tax filing industry, but none other than regular bad penny and anti-tax lobbyist Grover Norquist. His reason is simple - his position relies on taxes being painful. Make taxes simple for most Americans, and he loses political power.

Alternatively, you could find the source they cited.
    http://www.wnyc.org/story/taxes-tedious?tab=transcript

So I read that, and it suffers from the same issue - overestimating the tax preparers, and underestimating Norquist, who's a lot more dangerous. While return free filing would shrink the tax preparation market, it wouldn't eliminate it, and the parts that would be the least affected are the more profitable ones, dealing with complicated returns. In addition, I'd imagine they would pivot from tax preparation to tax review, creating a market for third party "check the government's work" services.

In comparison, return free filing would be very detrimental to Norquist. His political power, much like any anti-tax zealot, is built on being able to motivate people to respond negatively against taxes, and one of his best tools is pointing out the pain of taxes. Return free filing would eliminate a major pain point taxwise, and thus weaken his political power.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/F8T6Ul4aHTI

game maker's toolkit talks about boss design in the big game of the moment

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For only only second time in the show's history, we have someone win Jeopardy! with one dollar on last night's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNBroZR3hs

In followup, The Ringer has a good piece on said game, declaring it the worst game of Jeopardy ever played, cataloging the sins of all the players involved.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The new Contrapoints video is out, about the concept of "degeneracy" and it's history along with it's context with past and present fascism. It's really entertaining and informative, but I don't think I can link it here due to 1. Contra doing lewd shit, and 2. she reads out YouTube comments from her previous videos.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Friend of a friend made a music video for their band, and I dig it:
    https://youtu.be/X2wu2jY974o

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    CGP Grey roused himself for two videos.

A livestream reflecting some value of the average speed which humans die at.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7yM-m4bEA

And a video about death.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8&t=0s

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Also that second, "Why Die?" video is a companion piece to the new Kurzgesagt video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJsr4IwCm4

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »

Competitive "The Floor is Lava"?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I don't understand how anyone who's really thought about it could believe in immortality.

Longer and longer life-spans, sure. Medical science can certainly improve a person's life quality and longevity.

But forever? No.

Unless we're using one of those definitions of immortality that really just means "a really long time" instead of "never".

In any event, even if they discovered the cure for death today I doubt most of us could afford it.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well I believe in magic and my courtiers work tirelessly to seek out hidden knowledge that will allow me to defeat death and to rule for literally eternity so that's how I believe in immortality

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone who's really thought about it could believe in immortality.

Longer and longer life-spans, sure. Medical science can certainly improve a person's life quality and longevity.

But forever? No.

Unless we're using one of those definitions of immortality that really just means "a really long time" instead of "never".

In any event, even if they discovered the cure for death today I doubt most of us could afford it.
    I think some manner of augmentation would be necessary, but I don't see why it would be impossible.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I mean if you're talking about the heat death of the universe being part of "forever" then sure

And also the cure for death has been discovered a bunch of times in the form of vaccinations, which are demanded by the voting populace and in demand enough that economy of scale kicks in to make those vaccinations either free through insurance/healthcare or very inexpensive.

there are a handful of very large leaps that need to happen that some people say are impossible leaps, but there is no physical law preventing people from deferring or defeating the aging process. The longer a person lives the closer their chance to die in a traumatic fashion reaches one, if that's what you're talking about.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I love the idea of like whooo boy we gotta get ahead of this imminent problem of becoming immortal

Wow hey there folks we need to really get serious and confront the real practical problems of our definite capacity to eliminate the specter of death it's real close and definitely attainable that's a given if you would just get over your silly superstitious beliefs about it.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The sarcasm is so thick in that post I literally can't get through it to understand what you're saying

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    The sarcasm is so thick in that post I literally can't get through it to understand what you're saying

Making a video to talk about how we need to stop being so obsessed with the idea that death is good because it's actually bad and we should try to not die is extremely silly.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I love the idea of like whooo boy we gotta get ahead of this imminent problem of becoming immortal

Wow hey there folks we need to really get serious and confront the real practical problems of our definite capacity to eliminate the specter of death it's real close and definitely attainable that's a given if you would just get over your silly superstitious beliefs about it.
    ...Yes?

• Options
    Wait I'm confused, is being dead good or bad

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Something to look forward to then

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

Making a video to talk about how we need to stop being so obsessed with the idea that death is good because it's actually bad and we should try to not die is extremely silly.

Because it's a situation where there's two competing theories that already exist beyond the question of if humanity can transcend the aging process.
    One very popular one, if you examine nearly any modern media that addresses immortality or death, is that humanity shouldn't be immortal because death is a part of living and it's only death which ultimately defines your life. Usually, ultimately, because it creates an endpoint for your story so that other people can try to suss out what your life meant.
    The other is that that kind of existential meaning doesn't mean much for the people who are dead, and that if we have the ability to extend life, it should be used. And screw the people who want your life to end just because it makes it easier for them to suss out some meaning to life.

We're rapidly approaching a time when we have figured out and thoroughly studied the vast majority of external life ending events. A wide range of humanity is, for the first time in the history of our species, running up against a very real biological limitation to our lifespan that exists within the building blocks of our body itself. The philosophical question is "How do we treat aging?". Because there's a chance that we can virtually eliminate the biological roadblock to our lifespans and greatly increase how long a human being can live. We have already noted and studied species that effectively exist without limitations to their age or with biological lifespans much greater than our own.
    It's not magic, and it's not fantasy, it's scientifically possible that human beings do not need to have a biological limit to how long we can live.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
  • Options

Because it's a situation where there's two competing theories that already exist beyond the question of if humanity can transcend the aging process.
    One very popular one, if you examine nearly any modern media that addresses immortality or death, is that humanity shouldn't be immortal because death is a part of living and it's only death which ultimately defines your life. Usually, ultimately, because it creates an endpoint for your story so that other people can try to suss out what your life meant.
    The other is that that kind of existential meaning doesn't mean much for the people who are dead, and that if we have the ability to extend life, it should be used. And screw the people who want your life to end just because it makes it easier for them to suss out some meaning to life.

We're rapidly approaching a time when we have figured out and thoroughly studied the vast majority of external life ending events. A wide range of humanity is, for the first time in the history of our species, running up against a very real biological limitation to our lifespan that exists within the building blocks of our body itself. The philosophical question is "How do we treat aging?". Because there's a chance that we can virtually eliminate the biological roadblock to our lifespans and greatly increase how long a human being can live. We have already noted and studied species that effectively exist without limitations to their age or with biological lifespans much greater than our own.
    It's not magic, and it's not fantasy, it's scientifically possible that human beings do not need to have a biological limit to how long we can live.

The video is attempting to set up "I want to not die because dying is terrifying" as an Interesting Fact that you Might Not Know because they taught you in school to not be constantly scared of death.

There's always a rapture ready for us, and it's always stuck in the weeds because of the nebulous but sinister efforts of unbelievers.

We're gonna die. Generations after us will die. It's going to be bad, and we're going to work against it as best as we're able and hopefully we'll make progress and hopefully we won't find ourselves in the same spot but with no antibiotics 100 years from now.

But we're still gonna die, and it's not going to be because someone said "well, it was his time" or whatever to comfort another person facing the inevitable pain of death.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options

The video is attempting to set up "I want to not die because dying is terrifying" as an Interesting Fact that you Might Not Know because they taught you in school to not be constantly scared of death.

There's always a rapture ready for us, and it's always stuck in the weeds because of the nebulous but sinister efforts of unbelievers.

We're gonna die. Generations after us will die. It's going to be bad, and we're going to work against it as best as we're able and hopefully we'll make progress and hopefully we won't find ourselves in the same spot but with no antibiotics 100 years from now.

But we're still gonna die, and it's not going to be because someone said "well, it was his time" or whatever to comfort another person facing the inevitable pain of death.

You seem to have missed his point at the end.
    There's a real difference that can be made depending on when we decide to put our efforts into treating aging and death as a disease. We can do a lot to mitigate or stop the biological roadblock to life, but to do so we need to stop treating death as if it is an unassailable obstacle and realize that we've been constantly fighting against it for generations and now we're within sight of a time when we've effectively defeated it biologically.

There's a real possibility that we can do this. The difference is down to when we start doing it, and a big obstacle to actually dealing with it is the belief that death is not only natural, but inevitable and even good.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    It's the freaking moon colony thing all over again. Yes, with what we have, we could very likely establish a living colony on either the moon or mars. But as soon as someone says it out loud people laugh at them for being "too sci-fi", and talk about how much money it would cost. Both of which are societal problems and not actually practical problems with the idea.

We can fix climate change, but we have to constantly fight dumbasses who think that it's either "not a thing" or "it's not something we can fix".

Some things are "too big" for some people to believe that we can solve them, and unfortunately that seems to get in the way of progress long after we already have the tools, technology, and ability to fix them.

You have to defeat the societal view of a problem before people will stop laughing at you when you point out that we can solve the real and supposedly unassailable problems.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Sort of like how I don't believe mankind will ever make it out of the solar system.

Colonize Mars and mine the asteroid belt or whatever, sure.

But leave Sol? Nah.

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    I am gonna be interstellar stardust all over the place and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    No see, we just gotta start crossbreeding ourselves with Jellyfish!
    https://youtu.be/2kLSiE-eNjw

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Sort of like how I don't believe mankind will ever make it out of the solar system.

Colonize Mars and mine the asteroid belt or whatever, sure.

But leave Sol? Nah.

I think that the technology could exist to allow for all those things and more.

But I don't think we'll ever make it there given where we are this moment. We missed our chance.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    No see, we just gotta start crossbreeding ourselves with Jellyfish!
    https://youtu.be/2kLSiE-eNjw

I've seen that anime...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Once we have self sustaining space stations we'll be able to send them off into interstellar space.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.