As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This YouTube Thread has been removed due to a copyright claim

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had to look it up, since I wasn't sure where the Caspian Sea was.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    O_O

...it's Iran. You know. The country that has been painted as "No.1 Enemy of the Western World" since 1979? One of two countries around the Persian gulf that has a coastline on a different sea (the other is Saudia Arabia which also borders the Red Sea).
    Two of the answers at least got one thing correct (Iraq. Does border persian gulf. Azerbaijan, which does border the Caspian Sea...and Tibet. Which borders no fucking sea and it's only obstacle from claiming the title "Most landlocked country on earth" is because Kyrgyzstan has that title locked hard, being double landlocked in every direction except East...where it has the entirety of China in the way).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    O_O

...it's Iran. You know. The country that has been painted as "No.1 Enemy of the Western World" since 1979? One of two countries around the Persian gulf that has a coastline on a different sea (the other is Saudia Arabia which also borders the Red Sea).
    Two of the answers at least got one thing correct (Iraq. Does border persian gulf. Azerbaijan, which does border the Caspian Sea...and Tibet. Which borders no fucking sea and it's only obstacle from claiming the title "Most landlocked country on earth" is because Kyrgyzstan has that title locked hard, being double landlocked in every direction except East...where it has the entirety of China in the way).

I guarantee you more people would be able to tell you where Iran is in comparison to other countries than could tell you where it is in comparison to bodies of water.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    O_O

I mean have you never seen those "show me this country on a map" man on the street sections?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugJZhL-cbc

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah I don't know where the fuck the caspian sea is

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Didn't the Narnia books have a book dedicated to sailing across that one

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I just looked at a map and apparently my whole mental conception of the placement of states in the middle east was all fucked up, lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    O_O

I know where Iran is on a map, but I couldn't say what the water bodies bordering it are called.

Like how I know where my house is on a map as well, but I couldn't name what the side street I drive on most days is called.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I don’t know where Iran is because knowing it would use up space in my brain that otherwise could be used for solving (non-Iran related) mysteries

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I always wonder how many people they asked that knew exactly where the country is on those "on the street" videos.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I didn't remember which one the Caspian sea was.

I was thinking of the black sea at first but apparently it's the one further east than that one.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/vGVK4ibMI-Y

Sadly, he went the way I was afraid he would. While there has been lobbying by the tax preparation industry, when California attempted to implement their pilot return free filing program, the major opponent wasn't the tax filing industry, but none other than regular bad penny and anti-tax lobbyist Grover Norquist. His reason is simple - his position relies on taxes being painful. Make taxes simple for most Americans, and he loses political power.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I can barely remember all the great lakes and I live right by one of them.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't even know where i am

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i don't even know where i am

I guess that's why you need a gnome

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    a lot of people struggle with geography.

I failed it in high school and never looked back

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I can't ever take those "man on the street" segments seriously.

I mean you know they asked dozens and dozens of people and then only showed the few who didn't know.

And the idea of it being "easy" questions so that audiences at home can feel smugly superior in their base-line knowledge of things kinda irritates me.

RT800 on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I mean you know they asked dozens and dozens of people and then only showed the few who didn't know.

If geography knowledge surveys are accurate they probably have to ask on average 5-10 people to find 3 nuggets of ignorance, depending on the question. 1/3rd of americans are geographicly illiterate (they do not have basic map-reading skills), with 50-75% show a grave ignorance of even relatively easy questions. Like. "On this world map, where is India?" or "On this US map, where is the state of New York?"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Sadly, he went the way I was afraid he would. While there has been lobbying by the tax preparation industry, when California attempted to implement their pilot return free filing program, the major opponent wasn't the tax filing industry, but none other than regular bad penny and anti-tax lobbyist Grover Norquist. His reason is simple - his position relies on taxes being painful. Make taxes simple for most Americans, and he loses political power.

Have you checked to see if he took any campaign donations from the tax filing industry? Because it's possible for two things to be a problem and that actually seems like a match made in Hell's rarely cleaned public toilets.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Thanks to a crippling addiction to Geoguessr, I can only identify countries based on their highway systems.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Have you checked to see if he took any campaign donations from the tax filing industry? Because it's possible for two things to be a problem and that actually seems like a match made in Hell's rarely cleaned public toilets.

I doubt he would, because the two aren't really aligned. Tax preparers like taxation, they just want to profit off it. Norquist wants to kill the IRS, which wouldn't help them.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

If geography knowledge surveys are accurate they probably have to ask on average 5-10 people to find 3 nuggets of ignorance, depending on the question. 1/3rd of americans are geographicly illiterate (they do not have basic map-reading skills), with 50-75% show a grave ignorance of even relatively easy questions. Like. "On this world map, where is India?" or "On this US map, where is the state of New York?"

From my work with tourists, internationally the ability to read a map in general is maybe 75%

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpWhXoVRVs

It's like someone put a volume of Soul Eater in a blender with a Harlequin novel.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ah so a western touken ranbu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touken_Ranbu
    Players assume the role of a sage (審神者 saniwa) who travels into the past to defeat evil forces, and has the ability to animate legendary swords, which are depicted as attractive young men. Touken Ranbu is mostly a gender-swapped clone of the game Kantai Collection, also by DMM, which anthropomorphizes historical warships as young girls. Combat is largely automated, with progress mainly dependent on resource management and grinding.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    https://youtu.be/IHEpGHsKdV0

Rocket Man from their next cover album

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I really want Dan to sing some Stan Bush songs

• Options
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I was unenthused with the video, but I think it's mostly due to not liking Rocket Man.

• Options
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Thanks for ruining Halloween, Adam.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Basics With Babish is back and this week it's sweet, it's savory, it's simply sublime, it's... https://youtu.be/Upqp21Dm5vg

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options

Alternatively, you could find the source they cited.
    http://www.wnyc.org/story/taxes-tedious?tab=transcript

This discussion has been closed.