As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This YouTube Thread has been removed due to a copyright claim

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Hot Fuzz is in fact a phenomenal movie. Although I still enjoy Shaun of the Dead more.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    It took about four viewings for Hot Fuzz to go from "yeah it's good but probably my least favorite of the trilogy," to "THIS IS THE BEST BY FAR" in my mind.

The more I see it the more I end up liking it, and I can't seem to get sick of it. I can't think of another movie that had that kind of effect on me.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Can a passenger land a passenger jet? This was done on Mythbusters too. On this video they are using the autopilot to land. Mythbusters did not use the auto-land features.

https://youtu.be/lw6mjVIdbbc
    The hard part would be simply establishing communication (Not shown), but I think that you could if the right people were in the seats.

halkun on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The idea that "no dying is actually good, really" is something that's super prevalent in culture and fiction. I can't name all the times I read some fantasy or science fiction story that had an immortal or very long lived character and they decided to throw in some moralizing about how it's not worth it, how it's a terrible curse, how your life starts to lose meaning. It always makes me roll my eyes, it all seems like excuse making for death or trying to come up with some reason why it's actually alright because the writers feel it's inevitable. For some reason, there seems to be a real resistance to admitting "Yes, dying sucks and not having to do it or at least putting it off for a long time would be good."

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I think it's all the historical/fictional precedent, you can only read about so many crazed wizards and emperors before immortality gets a certain stink on it as a concept

Hobnail on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The main downside they usually have for immortality in fiction is the loss of everyone else wears on you. So we should just be working on mass production immortality heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Consider this. If Immortality had been around for ...say 200 years. What kind of society would we have today?
    Immortality is only good for the first generation of immortals.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's not just in fiction, I've been involved in numerous "would you want to live forever if you could?" conversations and far more often than not it's considered controversial when I say "yes" and people try to explain why I'm wrong. I've always been perplexed by it.

Although I do wonder how influenced by fiction those people are.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tell you what, I'll just start living forever and tell you when I get sick of it.

First update: so far so good.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    My main concern with becoming immortal would be ending up trapped someplace I couldn't get out of.

Locked in a vault or buried alive for millennia or something.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm of the mind that immortality doesn't entail invincibility, like vampire are immortal but you can fuckin kill the shit out of them, don't even have to do anything weird just stab em in the chest like normal

Hobnail on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Let me know when humans make anything at all that could be defined as immortal and maybe I'll start paying attention

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I will

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The removal of mortality has a bunch of questions attached to it.

I mean what age would you end up? Would the government have an issue with it? Would you just not die and slowly wither away or be at your peak fitness the entire time or another age?

But I don't think as mortals we could really definitively say, "Yes I would like to live forever, that is the correct choice for me." You might make the choice to do it sure, but I feel that if I got the option of living forever, my ideal situation would be with the option of take backs. Because what if you end up so detached to modern society you can't relate, or you can't work and become an unnecessary burden on your future family. Or even the generic situation that you watch all of your friends die.

• Options
    Well I mean if we're talking about a scientific revolution where scarcity and disease have been eradicated and everyone gets to be young and healthy and happy forever then sure.

Might as well rephrase the question as "who wants to go to heaven?"

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Let me know when humans make anything at all that could be defined as immortal and maybe I'll start paying attention

Let me guess. You've got some weird nitpicky reason that disqualifies the filmography of Richard Dean Anderson.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I remember being involved in a conversation very early in my life where immortality was considered a bad thing because you were assumed to continue aging normally, you just wouldn't die. It wouldn't be a thousand years of you as you feel now, it'd be a thousand years of your body continuing to break down around you, of your mind doing the same.

But whether or not that's how it would be, that eventual, actual real immortality would not be tied to a lack of aging but a lack of dying, requires a greater understanding of aging than I have. It's the kind of immortality I can absolutely understand people not wanting, though.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Or what if everyone became immortal? With the influx of new people, overpopulation becomes a genuine problem!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I thought I read once that there actually is a point at which a person's body stops aging.

It's just that everyone dies before they reach that point.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Also here's a video of a cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpl5mOAXNl4

NSFW (language)

RT800 on
  • Options
    I mean what would you even do?

Do you know why people retire? Because they are sick of working! how are you even going to find your retirement, for forever?

• Options
    I don't think people retire because they're sick of working. They retire because they're either too old to do what they do, or they'd rather do something else.

If you get rid of the "too old" part, that just leaves... do something else.

• Options
    I bet if I was immortal I could figure out a way to wrangle some money out of, I bet you could get paid just to show up at places

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If I knew I was immortal, I'd just keep investing until I had enough to make a confortable living and then do whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Consider this. If Immortality had been around for ...say 200 years. What kind of society would we have today?
    Immortality is only good for the first generation of immortals.

There's an idea that many people don't take the long view on things because they're only points of reference are
    A) What they can experience
    And
    B) What they've been told about the world by the generation that came before them.

And there's a lot of things that take a long time to build up over more than a single lifetime.

If someone had lived since 200 years ago, they would have been able to note the increased use of lead in a lot of societies products, and note the increases in lead related deaths and complications. As it is, scientists had to fight against a pervasive idea that "this is how the world has always been" by using a lot of really tough scientific research and experimentation. We had to go to the arctic for ice cores just to prove that something had only started happening in the last 100 years.

We're constantly fighting social battles over ideas from our grandparents and great great grandparents. We have to constantly prove that something that happened 50, 80, or 100 years ago really happened.

Society has a very short term memory, but people can be capable of rapid change and it's how we've gotten rapid advancements.

• Options
    I'd say if everyone is immortal then we should probably conquer the galaxy then worry about overpopulation once we fill it upp

• Options
    edited October 2017
    If immortality had been discovered 200 years ago, then Hitler would still be alive.

Is that what you want?

IS IT?

RT800 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    If immortality had been discovered 200 years ago, then Hitler would still be alive.

Is that what you want?

IS IT?

I will let you kick Hitler in the balls for 5 bucks.

• Options

There's Catalhoyuk which is from 7500 BCE.
    The Great Pyramid was as old to Cleopatra as she is to us.
    Gilgamesh is a story that comes from Ur. It was discovered in a library from 680 BCE.
    The oldest museum, complete with cylindrical placards in multiple languages, is from 630 BCE. It has relics from as far back as Ur.

In a way, the human desire to tell stories and make art is immortal.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »

Is that what you want?

IS IT?

I don't think any amount of clinical immortality can solve a bullet to the head.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Hey, remember that great thing Hitler did?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    He mentioned getting shot in the head

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    A candy corn pizza I could get behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1_s2c32zs

This discussion has been closed.