Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I want to play Transistor eventually, but I'm still in the middle of Ys Seven. And after that I want to play Rise of the Tomb Raider because it's been a while since I played a AAA game.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I wasn't too grabbed by Transistor when I tried it. Aesthetically it was excellent. The gameplay didn't enthuse me very much. So basically I started it, played it for a couple hours and had decent fun, but then after I stopped playing to do something else I just... never really felt like picking it back up.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Put another 'play asap' voting marble into the 'Transistor' vase. I say on that game for a long damn time, decided to install it because I was feeling adventurous and was very handsomely rewarded. Love the mix of pause-and-cue and real-time combat and the sheer accessible breadth of combat abilities. I did manage to figure out a God-tier combo that would do insane amounts of stunning AOE damage, but getting to that point was a long and fruitful affair.

Loved it all the way to the end.

On another note, just when I thought I got Renowned Explorers out of my system again, the Emperors Challenge DLC goes on sale on GOG. Literally the day after I slumped in my seat, took stock of my emaciated body and discarded foodstuffs surrounding me, wondering aloud in slurred hollow speech to no one that I'm killing myself, I'm back on board. I'm sure I'll be fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Is transistor twitch and precision heavy? I'm thinking it would make for a good steam link game in the living room, using the steam controller.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Alright I'll install Transistor when I have time.

In Doom related news, after checking the IGN walkthrough page I only have 5 more stages left in the game.

Woo! Progress!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Man, Hob, Cuphead, Ruiner, Danganronpa all this week. Not enough hours in the day anymore.
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Is transistor twitch and precision heavy? I'm thinking it would make for a good steam link game in the living room, using the steam controller.

No, it makes heavy use of a Real Time with Pause mechanic. where all but like the most basic fights require you to pause and plan out your series of attacks (though dodging some mechanics, particularly when the pause mechanic is on cooldown can be a little tough).

Corpekata on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Man, Hob, Cuphead, Ruiner, Danganronpa all this week. Not enough hours in the day anymore.

Cuphead comes out this week!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5iGwE0XJ1s

Friday!! Oh, hell yeah. So excited.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Oh hey trailer days steam too! Thought it was Windows exclusive!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So this game named Crawl is 50% off today.

I've heard wonderful things about it. At under $10 it might be a good candidate for FNG. Anyone interested?

Edit: On further research, it appears as through Crawl is only local multiplayer :(

Dissociater on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I've heard wonderful things about it. At under $10 it might be a good candidate for FNG. Anyone interested?

Crawl doesn't have online multiplayer. Devs couldn't be bothered to put it in and kind of shot themselves in the foot for it - a large reason why it's not more popular than it is.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have not yet jumped into it, but if there was some sort of a way to convince the dev to add co-op missions in Heat Signature, that seems like it would be about 800 different ways of fun during a FNG. I'd assume the most difficult part would be figuring out who controls the pause feature(?)

• Options
    Transistor seems fun. Still trying to work stuff out like how you heal mid battle and such but I'm really early in the game, like tutorials are still popping up.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I am sitting here at work, bored, contemplating my video game library, and... well, I'm head-planning another playthrough of the Mass Effect games (1-3, fuck Andromeda).

Someone stop me...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Crawl doesn't have online multiplayer. Devs couldn't be bothered to put it in and kind of shot themselves in the foot for it - a large reason why it's not more popular than it is.

It's a shame because it's an otherwise excellent game.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm hiding from the overwhelming number of new games I want to play by sticking to an MMO at the moment.
    After a bit of a break I got back into FF14 and have finished up the Heavensward story stuff. So, 3 out of 5 chunks of that game complete

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Huh, didn't expect to win something from one of Greenman Gaming's contests, but I did just that! I found a message in my twitter DM box with a key for Warriors All-Stars this morning. I hadn't even heard of the game before the contest, but I guess it's a musou game with characters from all sorts of Koei-Tecmo games?

(Honestly, I would have preferred to have won the contest that had the HTC Vive and gaming chair, but I can't complain about this one)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I guess it's a musou game with characters from all sorts of Koei-Tecmo games?

Yep. Some of those are words.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Hob looks charming as hell, but it's the kind of game I'd rather play on the Switch.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Huh, didn't expect to win something from one of Greenman Gaming's contests, but I did just that! I found a message in my twitter DM box with a key for Warriors All-Stars this morning. I hadn't even heard of the game before the contest, but I guess it's a musou game with characters from all sorts of Koei-Tecmo games?

(Honestly, I would have preferred to have won the contest that had the HTC Vive and gaming chair, but I can't complain about this one)

Yeah it looks like a decent Musou game. Still no online multiplayer or co-op though, so I'm usually out at that point. If I want to play a single player Musou game I'd play Hyrule Warriors.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Musou?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Musou?

Games like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc. I've not played one since Dynasty Warriors 3, but I've often heard them referred to as "Musou" games. Apparently that's the Japanese name for the genre.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aka

Fuck everyone in your path

beat up more people to do it again

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I am sitting here at work, bored, contemplating my video game library, and... well, I'm head-planning another playthrough of the Mass Effect games (1-3, fuck Andromeda).

Someone stop me...

Because if you do it, I expect that Keeper and Seeker will be right outside sighting you in for a gift-a-pulting? :biggrin:

But really, if you want to, why not go for it?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Musou?

Games like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc. I've not played one since Dynasty Warriors 3, but I've often heard them referred to as "Musou" games. Apparently that's the Japanese name for the genre.

Funny thing is that they're spun off from a line of pretty serious turn-based strategy games, and the very first Dynasty Warriors game was actually a 1v1 fighting game before they decided to go fuck it and pump up the ridiculous nonsense.

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm all for loot crates when I can earn them from just playing the game. I can ignore them pretty easily most times if they are pay only though.

I probably should have clarified specifically for Rocket League. You earn loot crates in game, but you have to buy keys to unlock/open said crates. Cause that's totally a better system y'all :rotate:

You can still get keys without spending money just by trading items with other players so it isn't as bad as other games. They are also going to introduce a new event system that will drop these new "decryptors" items which allow you to open crates without keys.
    Sounds neat. I have no intention of buying keys and couldn't be bothered to trade.

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Dp, sorry.

Poseidon on
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Someone stop me...

Because if you do it, I expect that Keeper and Seeker will be right outside sighting you in for a gift-a-pulting? :biggrin:

I have two rambunctious kittehs of my own. I have no fear of yours! :twisted:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Transistor seems fun. Still trying to work stuff out like how you heal mid battle and such but I'm really early in the game, like tutorials are still popping up.

I can't remember if there is an ability for that. I should play Transistor again

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oats wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    I'm having a fun new issue with Steam. It refuses to write to one of my hard drives. It writes to the other one just fine though.

Chkdsk and SMART both come back clean for the drive. No bad sectors, nothing. The drive itself is about fourth months old, and the issue began a few days ago.

The Blizzard Launcher and every other program I've tried can write to the disk fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, I've followed all the support articles in their Knowledge Base, nothing fixes it.

I put in a ticket with their support, and Valve's official response has been to direct me to their knowledge base and then to their subreddit.

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Could you, by chance, have removed the drive as a target for Steam? I remember having to set up my secondary drive in Steam so that it recognized it as a place to store games, where it creates a directory structure and everything. Sounds like it could be that some important file/structure was lost.

Since the issue started, I have scoured every reference to Steam on the drive, deleted the library within Steam, partitioned off a smaller chunk of the drive, formatted that partition fully, added a new Steam Library on the new, empty volume and I get the same results.
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm having a fun new issue with Steam. It refuses to write to one of my hard drives. It writes to the other one just fine though.

Chkdsk and SMART both come back clean for the drive. No bad sectors, nothing. The drive itself is about fourth months old, and the issue began a few days ago.

The Blizzard Launcher and every other program I've tried can write to the disk fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, I've followed all the support articles in their Knowledge Base, nothing fixes it.

I put in a ticket with their support, and Valve's official response has been to direct me to their knowledge base and then to their subreddit.

Sounds like it might be an issue with read/write permissions. And that's a pretty terrible response from support.

I've changed Steam so it's running as Admin, and I've set the drive to overwrite permissions with the drive-level permissions which is set to full control for all users and SYSTEM.

The closest I've found to a similar issue in ~6 hours of bashing my head against this wall performing labour so Valve don't have to pay someone research is an issue specific to the UNIX fork of Steam, which is unresolved. Everything seems to point towards the drive failing or Steam not having the correct permissions but no other program or utility seems to corroborate that.

Thank you both for the suggestions though. Truly.

Hmmm... Odd question: do you have an antivirus in your machine? Maybe it is protecting the drive from being written by the steam executable in particular. And maybe it started after an update...

Tried with AV fully disabled this morning, no joy.

I've ordered a 1TB SSD from Amazon. Here's hoping it's an otherwise invisible hardware problem I guess?

So I installed that new SSD today.

While I was in there, I saw the ugly bright orange SATA cable connecting my 3TB drive and swapped it out so all the cables were the same colour.

And that fixed the drive issue I was having with Steam. So now I have 4TB of space to fill.

Oats on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Someone stop me...

You have no fear of the spies you welcomed into your house?

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Cuphead is here that soon!?!? This is going to be great! I tried throwing money at the screen when I first read about it and it just wouldn't show up on my PC, but now - NOW IT WILL!!!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Someone stop me...

You have no fear of the spies you welcomed into your house?

rb4xz5ggro2l.gif

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Remember that Mummy movie that came out this year which was supposed to be the starting point for some Universal monsters cinematic universe? Yeah, me neither.

Anyway, WayForward is making a game based on the movie called The Mummy Demastered, and it's coming to Steam. All I have to go on is this trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbtUfqam5g

And this writeup by Jeremy Parish. But based on these, I'm actually interested! It's a Metroidvania, and the catch in this one is that if your character dies, he ends up enslaved by the forces of darkness. You get to continue as another anonymous agent, but have to hunt down your previous character and kill him to get back your upgrades and weapons.

edit: Gah! Fixed a mistake that made the "forces of darkness" sentence make no sense.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Musou?

Funny thing is that they're spun off from a line of pretty serious turn-based strategy games, and the very first Dynasty Warriors game was actually a 1v1 fighting game before they decided to go fuck it and pump up the ridiculous nonsense.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, wasn't it?

Jazz on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Musou?

That's the basis for the games, at any rate.

Well, that or whatever IP they're doing a spin-off with.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Could you, by chance, have removed the drive as a target for Steam? I remember having to set up my secondary drive in Steam so that it recognized it as a place to store games, where it creates a directory structure and everything. Sounds like it could be that some important file/structure was lost.

Since the issue started, I have scoured every reference to Steam on the drive, deleted the library within Steam, partitioned off a smaller chunk of the drive, formatted that partition fully, added a new Steam Library on the new, empty volume and I get the same results.
    Drake wrote: »

Sounds like it might be an issue with read/write permissions. And that's a pretty terrible response from support.

I've changed Steam so it's running as Admin, and I've set the drive to overwrite permissions with the drive-level permissions which is set to full control for all users and SYSTEM.

The closest I've found to a similar issue in ~6 hours of bashing my head against this wall performing labour so Valve don't have to pay someone research is an issue specific to the UNIX fork of Steam, which is unresolved. Everything seems to point towards the drive failing or Steam not having the correct permissions but no other program or utility seems to corroborate that.

Thank you both for the suggestions though. Truly.

Hmmm... Odd question: do you have an antivirus in your machine? Maybe it is protecting the drive from being written by the steam executable in particular. And maybe it started after an update...

Tried with AV fully disabled this morning, no joy.

I've ordered a 1TB SSD from Amazon. Here's hoping it's an otherwise invisible hardware problem I guess?

So I installed that new SSD today.

While I was in there, I saw the ugly bright orange SATA cable connecting my 3TB drive and swapped it out so all the cables were the same colour.

And that fixed the drive issue I was having with Steam. So now I have 4TB of space to fill.

Just enough room for FFXV, DOOM and Gears of War 4 then

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Musou?

He means that was the name of the turn-based strategy series that Zxerol mentioned.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Musou?

He means that was the name of the turn-based strategy series that Zxerol mentioned.

Sorry, yeah. Added some bolding in the earlier quote to make it clearer what I was replying to.

• Options
    My brother played the hell out of Romance of the Three Kingdoms III on Sega Genesis. I think it might've been one of the first games I watched him play that I just never got into myself. He'd often get really frustrated with the battle parts, especially with guys falling into spike traps or something like that. Years later I remember him picking up Dynasty Warriors III on PS2, which I played for a little while. I'm definitely curious to see how a modernized version of that type of game plays these days, so I'll probably dive into one of the two "warriors" games I own on Steam soon-ish.

• Options
    Remember that Mummy movie that came out this year which was supposed to be the starting point for some Universal monsters cinematic universe? Yeah, me neither.

And this writeup by Jeremy Parish. But based on these, I'm actually interested! It's a Metroidvania, and the catch in this one is that if your character ends up enslaved by the forces of darkness. You get to continue as another anonymous agent, but have to hunt down your previous character and kill him to get back your upgrades and weapons.

What kind of bass ackwards universe do we live in!? Where a terrible movie makes a good looking video game? Granted it looks just like a split between Contra and Metroid, hell it looks just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aA-1rqtQWs