As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Also the Moclans are way worse about their culture's gender issues, and Bortus' reaction was probably 10x better than Klyden's would have been.
    The Matriarchs at least see their men as their own people, instead of failures of genetics that need to be fixed at birth with surgery.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also the Moclans are way worse about their culture's gender issues, and Bortus' reaction was probably 10x better than Klyden's would have been.
    The Matriarchs at least see their men as their own people, instead of failures of genetics that need to be fixed at birth with surgery.

Also, one can almost respect
    Their men aren't subservient because they're inferior or because the women are superior, but because they used to be in charge and fucked everything up.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Goddamn that episode was fantastic. Super well written even though it had A, B, C, D, and E plots woven together. Everything resolved, without taking too easy of a way out. This is a show that has really hit its stride.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Goddamn that episode was fantastic. Super well written even though it had A, B, C, D, and E plots woven together. Everything resolved, without taking too easy of a way out. This is a show that has really hit its stride.

I feel like he's really putting his heart into this, he just didn't like Fox's annual schedule.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I feel like he's really putting his heart into this, he just didn't like Fox's annual schedule.

I dont think he ever liked being stuck with Fox period.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    These longer episodes have definitely worked in the show's favor, overall. They're more like mini-movies at this point than regular episodes, and get to cover a lot more ground because of it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Poor LaMarr

One man could have saved him
    https://youtu.be/umN7YOsmGl4

I gave my goddaughter the plushie of him that sings that

• Options
    Tonight's ep is 1hr 26m plan snacks accordingly

• Options
    edited July 2022
    You mean, tonight's two episodes are 43 minutes each.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Orville: The Motion Picture.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Tagging because it's a spoiler, but minor
    Got that GI Joe training coming in clutch, Kelly was holding her rifle differently than Bortus was.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Huh. Of all the people to have a cameo appearance on this show, I never would have expected Dolly Parton.

• Options
    Man( new ep)
    Dolly.
    Gordon being a fucking bro
    Bortus enters rage mode
    And Klyden fucking redeeming himself to his child

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Fuck now I need to finish work so I can watch this.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Man( new ep)
    Dolly.
    Bortus enters rage mode

Gordon
    His speech was great, was what we were all thinking the entire time about the Republicans Moclans, and just super satisfying. But did they establish a real bro/sis relationship before now? Aside from her asking him out and him turning her down not-so-gracefully, I don't remember a lot of interaction between them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Oh Jeez.
    Moclan women dancing to a flute rendition of "Jolene." I always thought that the protagonist of that song was actually more in love with Jolene than her man, but didn't know how to properly express it.

Dolly really is the voice of the revolution.

EDIT
    Well the Union is pretty well screwed if the Kaylon attack again, but at least they saved a little girl.

I jest, but Moclus is, in Bortus's words, awful, and a bigoted, blacksite torturing, gaslighting society like that just does not fit in with the Union's naïve idealism.

I do wonder if they'll maintain Brexit (Moxit?)-style negotiations so they can keep trading weapons, or if they'll just get super insular and paranoid. I kinda want to see them sitting across the table trying to make a defensive pact with that matriarchy from a few eps back.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Man( new ep)
    Dolly.
    Bortus enters rage mode

Gordon
    His speech was great, was what we were all thinking the entire time about the Republicans Moclans, and just super satisfying. But did they establish a real bro/sis relationship before now? Aside from her asking him out and him turning her down not-so-gracefully, I don't remember a lot of interaction between them.

I think
    The sister thing was just to get him there.This was him realizing his best friend was gonna snap and ruin his career so he did it first

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dear Hulu,

You have one job: Make season 4.

Yours truly,
    Me

P.S.
    Please don't fuck this up.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    so like this kinda confirms that?
    the female birth rate on Moclan is NOT once every 75 years. They're literally forcing a gender change on a fair percent of the population

edit: or was the colony moclans who transitioned back to female?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    the female birth rate on Moclan is NOT once every 75 years. They're literally forcing a gender change on a fair percent of the population

Yeah, I think that was established earlier.
    Heveena's underground railroad is there to save all the babies that would get gender changed without their consent. I imagine that any adult moclans (whether born female or trans) who wish to live as female would also find homes there.

Also, it's already not once every 75 years if Klyden and Topa are both born female. That was always some gaslighting BS by the show's expert gaslighters.

• Options

Haveena seems interested in preventing surgery altogether so I suspect most of the residents were smuggled as infants and a lot of informants are converted males that feel theyre more valuable as spies to get children to safety.

Either way though the female birth rate is way higher than they claim

• Options
    calling it now re: season finale
    Moclans will side with the Kaylon against the Krill and the Union, we're gearing up for it.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    New ep:
    First impression : please no, no more Moclan episodes.
    Second impression : man, this episode feels way too long.
    Third impression : Dolly Parton? WTF?
    Fourth impression : Moclus gets kicked out of the Union? What?
    Fifth impression :
    Goddamn Klyden, of all people, why did YOU make me cry?

Speculation about the future:
    The Kaylons wipe the Moclans out, so the colony are the only survivors. Union and Krill fight the Kaylons together, but win the day thanks to EmotiKaylon.
    Season cliffhanger : the spider demons start attacking Krill.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    calling it now re: season finale
    Moclans will side with the Kaylon against the Krill and the Union, we're gearing up for it.

Actually, I fully expect that
    The Kaylon are going to use this chance to utterly wipe out the Moclan homeworld. I mean roast the the thing, so that not even a microbe is left to survive. The old Moclan society will be utterly destroyed by it's own arrogance, leaving only a handful of male Moclans and the female colony.

The Krill will then back off their genocide push when they figure out that they're probably next on the Kaylon hit list, and ask for a return of the alliance until the Kaylon situation is resolved. Oh, and it's also going to come to light that the Kaylon manipulated the Krill election process to deliberately steer them away from alliance and weaken them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I expect the Moclans to ally with the Krill and do something stupid. And by stupid I mean full The Die is Cast Enabran Tain laughing on the bridge while the ship goes down stupid - a massed Moclan/Krill fleet charges into the Kaylon home system guns blazing and gets utterly annihilated leaving a giant power vacuum between the Union and Kaylon.

Hevach on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I would also accept
    that we find out Moclas is not okay and this latest revelation basically causes their world to erupt in chaos and violence

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I would also accept
    that we find out Moclas is not okay and this latest revelation basically causes their world to erupt in chaos and violence

I think it'll go there, too. Before that I think we need
    the final piece of the Moclan sex puzzle to be revealed: the natural gender ratio. The higher it is, the more likely the planet goes to shit when it becomes public.

I still expect it to be 1:1. I theorized back in season 1 that originally their reproduction was independent of sex and at some ancient time the male preference was pragmatic (but no less disgusting - everything humans have done to women but without needing them to make more men). Now I don't know, as the female colony doesn't seem to be producing babies, it's importing them.

In the end I don't think reproduction will be what matters so much as there being millions of Klydens, most likely unaware of their birth but still knowing something they don't understand and can't cope with is wrong and retreating into the spiral of toxicity to bury it. Millions of young Topas, screaming unknowing into the void for a trauma they don't even know they suffered. Millions of parents with multiple converted daughters, fearing something is deeply wrong with them. Millions of males unsatisfied with relationships and not even knowing there's another option.

Suddenly those people know what was wrong all along, that their experience was a product of their society and not themselves, and along with that comes the knowledge that their collective secret had brought them to murdering children, and with the species to the brink of annihilation by the Kaylon they'll realize that a lot of people outside of Moclus think they deserve it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Predictions
    Introducing the Janisi (apparently this is the correct spelling) was a peculiarly specific episode to place where they did in the season, so I think now that they're established as... existing, we will see them take notice of the Moclans being ejected from the Union and materially start to come around on the idea of diplomacy with the Union. They will likely end up being the Union's defensive replacement for the Moclans.

The Moclans I think were fully aware of how much the Union bended over backwards to keep them as members and were greedily leveraging that as much as they could without actually leaving. I don't think they were ever actually expecting not to be in the Union(much less having been explicitly booted out), so they're going to be alone scrambling for allies in a galaxy that generally doesn't like them. Their only option is really the Krill, and if they ally together they're probably both going to end up being Star Trek'd. (e.g. humbled by the Kaylon into reforming into more Union-friendly political structures)

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Predictions
    Introducing the Janisi (apparently this is the correct spelling) was a peculiarly specific episode to place where they did in the season, so I think now that they're established as... existing, we will see them take notice of the Moclans being ejected from the Union and materially start to come around on the idea of diplomacy with the Union. They will likely end up being the Union's defensive replacement for the Moclans.

The Moclans I think were fully aware of how much the Union bended over backwards to keep them as members and were greedily leveraging that as much as they could without actually leaving. I don't think they were ever actually expecting not to be in the Union(much less having been explicitly booted out), so they're going to be alone scrambling for allies in a galaxy that generally doesn't like them. Their only option is really the Krill, and if they ally together they're probably both going to end up being Star Trek'd. (e.g. humbled by the Kaylon into reforming into more Union-friendly political structures)
    I don't see a Krill/Moclan alliance happening at all. The Krill/Union alliance happened because the Union has people skilled at diplomacy; Moclan culture is basically the opposite of diplomatic. Further, the Krill have so far been point-for-point everything wrong with religious fanatics and I don't see any way the Krill are going to be cool with a whole species that has changed itself to become (mostly) homosexual, both by biology and by culture. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing that happens to the Moclans is that the Krill immediately go after them.

One way or another, I think Moclan arrogance has doomed their world and now it's just a matter of how it plays out.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Latest episode:
    I told you that Klyden was a great character!

Heffling on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Predictions

I don't see a Krill/Moclan alliance happening at all. The Krill/Union alliance happened because the Union has people skilled at diplomacy; Moclan culture is basically the opposite of diplomatic. Further, the Krill have so far been point-for-point everything wrong with religious fanatics and I don't see any way the Krill are going to be cool with a whole species that has changed itself to become (mostly) homosexual, both by biology and by culture. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing that happens to the Moclans is that the Krill immediately go after them.

One way or another, I think Moclan arrogance has doomed their world and now it's just a matter of how it plays out.
    And remember:
    the current leader of the Krill is a woman (with a daughter but that’s not publicly known)

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Latest episode:

Yes
    He had to be an awful person for this event to have any impact for his character.

• Options
    Klyden is a good example of why planning your story arcs in advance is important

Looking at you Abrams

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Klyden is a good example of why planning your story arcs in advance is important

Looking at you Abrams

What are you talking about? I'm pretty damn sure Stacy planned out her story arc several years in advance. Come close against Kemp, reinvigorate the base, and have the state go for the Presidency and two Senators, and have a reasonable shot at unseating Kemp if everything doesn't go to shit. Also, she's President of United Earth in the other franchise!

Oh shit, you meant JJ. Nevermind. Carry on.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Latest episode:

Yes
    He had to be an awful person for this event to have any impact for his character.

Fully agreed. Hard to have a redemption arc otherwise.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Looking at you Abrams

What are you talking about? I'm pretty damn sure Stacy planned out her story arc several years in advance. Come close against Kemp, reinvigorate the base, and have the state go for the Presidency and two Senators, and have a reasonable shot at unseating Kemp if everything doesn't go to shit. Also, she's President of United Earth in the other franchise!

Oh shit, you meant JJ. Nevermind. Carry on.

Her turn to supporting Bidens 40 billion dollar police thing was not great

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Moclans new episode.
    Yeah. They went too far. They are killing their women.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I was actually kinda surprised on two points in last week's episode.
    I fully expected they'd go with the "universe is small" trope that Klyden was the contact on Moclus that Heveena was going to give Topa the communication codes for, before the kidnapping.

Also, that they kinda dropped the "Tupa has a crush on Gordon" thing. I like that he called them on their bullshit in the pre-council meeting, but I would have expected that from Gordon for pretty much anyone. Maybe they'll bring up the "Bortus threatens Gordon about 'hurting his little girl' " comedy sting later. Just surprised that they brought it up at the start, and then didn't call it back proper within the episode, beyond a couple reaction shots of Gordon when Topa is brought in. The council meeting ended 10m before the end of the episode, and Gordon isn't seen.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Re the second thing
    I'm so glad they dropped that immediately after Gordon realized what was going on. I was dreading having an entire episode dealing with it.
    I think aside from the whole Gordon little sister thing, it was mostly there to reinforce Grayson as the mother/mentor figure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Re the second thing
    I'm so glad they dropped that immediately after Gordon realized what was going on. I was dreading having an entire episode dealing with it.
    I think aside from the whole Gordon little sister thing, it was mostly there to reinforce Grayson as the mother/mentor figure.
    Also to set up that Moclans can find opposite-sex humans attractive, preparatory to the Grayson/Bortus romance that feels like they were leading into during the rescue mission (and the inevitable Bortus/Grayson/Klyden love-triangle).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian