As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] In The Mountain

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how "auto-demonetized" videos fit in there?

Like, let's say I make a video about a controversial subject like "gays are people", and link my patreon. When the video inevitably gets demonetized, do I need to remove all mention of Patreon from the video?

demonetized videos aren't actually ineligible for the monetization system

They just don't get good rates. Companies will still bid to put ads on demonetized videos, but ones that care about image won't. This came about because of the whole "I don't want my company's ads to show before someone who is a nazi (or whatever)", so Google went and made a two-tier system. People who are "good" get in the big pool with all the big advertisers. Everyone else is in this smaller pool with less competition for ad-buyers.

I know at one point the creators didn't get any ad revenue from the video anyway, but I don't know if that's still true.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    RMS Oceanic help i am confused

aren't some of those people real ;-;

Most of them. What's the problem?

For a negative example, early Christians thought the Emperor Nero wasn't really dead, he was just biding his time. That's where 666 comes from, Jewish Numerology used to encode his name as a warning.

I suppose being a myth isn't mutually exclusive to being real.

i don't know i'm lost in pedantry.

The myth is that they're not dead

Like the myth of Saint Patrick driving out the snakes from Ireland

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

But if they're saying "You can't link to Patreon" because they want some of that cash, where's their alternative?

Leave YouTube

Which is not possible in Google's provided time frame of "immediately".

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    needs more Holger Danske

Just for you

WIKVqZP.gif

this is such a beautiful jiff, it's a shame it is so small

it's because it's a custom emoji from I think SA forums or something

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    And as far as basic costs goes, a non-storefront Squarespace site, backed with 2 TB of storage and 2 million views of your videos through S3 a month is ~75 dollars a month.

So yes, if 2 million eyeballs are hitting your videos in a month, and you cannot afford to pay 75 buckarinos to keep the ship afloat, something has gone wrong with your patreon.

People visiting a single person's website to see the videos and continuing to grow an audience? What is this madness?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

But if they're saying "You can't link to Patreon" because they want some of that cash, where's their alternative?

you totally link to patreon still, and you let ads run on your channel, which customers can bypass by paying for youTube Red.

Or you move somewhere else where you can offer an ad-free experience to your consumers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    a
    Chanus wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    I work exactly 42 hours a week average. Week a is 36 and week b is 48.

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

also include your commute time

we should be paid to commute to and from work

wouldn't this end up subsidizing suburban sprawl

shit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    a

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

wouldn't it actually make companies want to decrease commute time by either increasing density or improving travel time?

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Got sucked back into Trimps again. Got to see those numbers go up.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Our overtime laws are as follows:

Normal working hours are defined as 9 hours in a day, 40 in a week (most tariff agreements: 7.5 hours, 37.5)

anything above either is overtime. Overtime is paid at least 40% more (at least 50% is more common. Not being hourly does not matter, everybody is hourly on overtime in the eyes of the law. Employers are expected to be able to do math. Also, if you take out the extra hours in time off, it also does not matter, you still get 40% more paid.)

Leading or "especially independent" positions can be exempt.

There is also an important rule that some employers seem fond of "forgetting" and that is that overtime can not be planned. Within reason, but overtime is not a way to have longer shifts, it is a way to have people work longer when it's like you guys gotta stay or the factory will melt.

There are also limits on overtime to help enforce the fact that overtime is meant for exceptional circumstances: 4 hours per day, 10 hours per week, 25 per four weeks, 400 per 52 weeks.

In especially busy periods an employer can apply for permission to have more overtime.

I would like things to be a little bit better because the vast majority of people have better terms and it sucks for the few who have worse, but we're talking small details. Overall, I like it.

EDIT: it's 7.5 and 37.5 instead of 8 and 40 because the half hour lunch is not included, provided you are actually free to leave or do whatever the fuck. If you have to put down your bagel and pick up a single phone call it's a paid lunch.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

you totally link to patreon still, and you let ads run on your channel, which customers can bypass by paying for youTube Red.

Or you move somewhere else where you can offer an ad-free experience to your consumers.

i thought everyone had like two red symbols in the top right of their browser so they never see youtube ads anyway

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2017
    Couscous wrote: »
    And as far as basic costs goes, a non-storefront Squarespace site, backed with 2 TB of storage and 2 million views of your videos through S3 a month is ~75 dollars a month.

So yes, if 2 million eyeballs are hitting your videos in a month, and you cannot afford to pay 75 buckarinos to keep the ship afloat, something has gone wrong with your patreon.

People visiting a single person's website to see the videos and continuing to grow an audience? What is this madness?

This argument is that I should be allowed to reap all the benefits of this wildly popular platform for free, nobody should have to see ads, and I can use it as a primary driver to direct people elsewhere to give me money.

There was no way this model was going to last.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i think the youtube problem is not that there are alternative options it's that youtube is so ubiquitous

when's the last time someone linked you a vimeo and you weren't just like

ew gross you might as well ask me to bing something you cretin

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

"Your account has been marked as high bandwidth, in 15 days, your account will be disabled unless you subscribe to the high bandwidth package ($50 a month) or activate monetization on your videos to display ads to viewers."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    if you can incontrovertibly prove that Nero isn't just biding his time, I'll stop with the 666

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I demand 100% uptime on my youtube channel where i can offer the hottest takes

And YouTube is gonna let me link my patreon and i want no ads and I'm not paying for shitttttt

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

now get this: you can still post your videos on youtube, with ads, and link to your website where the ad free experience is for patreon subscribers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

No they didn't. GM didn't adopt it till 11 years later, and only then after being on the receiving end of a strike. Same with Chrysler and a few other auto manufacturers.

Well, I mean, that's speedy, since it had already been a hundred years :P

but yes I rephrase it to "competitors saw that it did not kill them and thus weren't as afraid of losing that battle as they were of death"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

This argument is that I should be allowed to reap all the benefits of this wildly popular platform for free, nobody should have to see ads, and I can use it as a primary driver to direct people elsewhere to give me money.

Except, as I mentioned earlier, they didn't look for even a single alternative.

Like the standard "I provide a service and you pay for it" model that exists, oh, I dunno, everywhere else.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

No one is making this argument.

The argument is that youtube shouldn't be allowed to take what are basically it's employees, change the rules to shaft them in favor of youtube, and be required to give them zero notice or warning.

• Options

monetization

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    a

wouldn't it actually make companies want to decrease commute time by either increasing density or improving travel time?

im sure they'd want to, but I feel like cities would remain more expensive relative to the surrounding suburbs and people would become more accepting the trade off between cheaper living and longer commutes knowing they would get compensated for said commutes (shit, add an hour to your commute and now you're either making more money or working less)

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    James wrote: »
    if you can incontrovertibly prove that Nero isn't just biding his time, I'll stop with the 666

If the combined debauchery of Commodus and Elagabalus didn't revive him I don't know what would

• Options

Like the standard "I provide a service and you pay for it" model that exists, oh, I dunno, everywhere else.

This is something we don't know.

There could have been months / years of debate on this topic while the whole thing was blowing up.

YouTube Red could have been their first foray into fixing the problem.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You could do some sort of subscription and recommendation service similar to other aggregators like reddit,digg,stumbleupon,tumblr and allow people to "post" videos there.

You'd still have to monetize it somehow because aggregation services chew bandwidth still.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The argument is that youtube shouldn't be allowed to take what are basically it's employees, change the rules to shaft them in favor of youtube, and be required to give them zero notice or warning.

Nope, on the bolded

No way

Those are customers, not employees

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Going to Disneyland/Universal for the honeymoon. Fiancee insisted on a whole day for Harry Potter stuff and I balked. We compromised and are spending a whole day on Harry Potter stuff, but I'm going to loudly ask "Is he a Gandalf" every time we see a character.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    a

im sure they'd want to, but I feel like cities would remain more expensive relative to the surrounding suburbs and people would become more accepting the trade off between cheaper living and longer commutes knowing they would get compensated for said commutes (shit, add an hour to your commute and now you're either making more money or working less)

except presumably companies would just have a say in where you were living

you couldn't just take a job offer and then move an hour out of the city and go "ha, now you're paying me to drive".

the company would be able to turn around and drop your compensation equivalently

I mean, I don't like the idea at all to be fair, I'm just saying there are ways that it could work

• Options
    i think the youtube problem is not that there are alternative options it's that youtube is so ubiquitous

what, all the time

like any other example but vimeo

vimeo is where the gorgeous shit lives

youtube is talking heads and fail compilations

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Nope, on the bolded

No way

Those are customers, not employees

Youtube is paying them to put content on youtube

They are also customers, sure, but they are also what youtube relies on for content and YouTube should be wary about pissing them all off.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular

There could have been months / years of debate on this topic while the whole thing was blowing up.

Then it's a good thing they kept the content creators in the loop.

• Options
    for some reason rancid's time bomb rewritten as a parody about fascist movements popped in my head as an idea but i only have

____ coat, brown shirt, red hat, ____, yeah
    the boy's a mo-ron

and a google search for "sartorial nicknames for fascist movements" didn't return much of use

but i for some reason am really wanting to make this work

• Options

Well uh, but if we all just heard about it today, and all the streamers heard about it today, then it doesn't matter if they had internal discussions about this for a decade or more. It's the change without any warning or chance for feedback that sucks.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

what, all the time

like any other example but vimeo

vimeo is where the gorgeous shit lives

youtube is talking heads and fail compilations

abdhy just go with the joke come on man

• Options

You could believe this if you wanted to, I guess.

I mean, it's possible that we'll see a bunch of channels come out in the near future and go "hey guys, the ad-free thing didn't work. Google brought out the numbers and there's no way it would work in a way we were happy with, so we're going back to ads".

If that happens, then yeah okay.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I think the big problem for youtube content creators and that they sort of rely on one another to generate views. Those dumb thumbnails ya know?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Nero, in the same way I feel bad for Stalin. Whyyyyy historyyyy, whyyyyyyyy

• Options
    I think the big problem for youtube content creators and that they sort of rely on one another to generate views. Those dumb thumbnails ya know?

Hey check out this one still of a girl in a bikini

Watch my shitty videoooooooo

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Goddamn, now I want to set up a company that is just a setup service for individual sites and run an aggregate front page which would basically be an rss feed

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.