As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's such a silly controversy imo

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There's nothing inherently evil about military stuff I suppose.

The motto was originally supposed to be for things like, treating customer data flippantly like facebook does.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the new emoji menu in windows 10 is going to revolutionize my posting

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I think extended emojis still break posts

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I disagree.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It was always a stupid motto that provided nothing in the way of actual guidance and was ignored anyway.

But props to those engineers for pointing out that building better bombs actually really does fall far short of that extremely nebulous obligation.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I think extended emojis still break posts

Last I tried making a post with emoji in it, the forums deleted the whole line with it in it.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I disagree.

Necessary evil, currently, I suppose.

Though the US military is a bit too overzealous and so is our spending but that's another topic.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, AI in general is a mistake. "Inherently evil" sure is a hot take, though.

• Options
    I find it funny that Google employees would hold statistical learning on video footgage as the breaking point when Google whole business model is statistical learning on everything a user puts into their search bar Google doc or phone, all in the name of selling advertisements.

Like, people talk about Facebook a lot these days but Google has the exact same business model.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I find it funny that Google employees would hold statistical learning on video footgage as the breaking point when Google whole business model is statistical learning on everything a user puts into their search bar Google doc or phone, all in the name of selling advertisements.

Like, people talk about Facebook a lot these days but Google has the exact same business model.

I mean, there's machine learning to spot deforestation, and then there's machine learning to determine who to shoot missiles at

I know I sure as fuck wouldn't want to do the latter

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I want that Surface.

I would basically use it as a TV, but I want it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    If the easel bit's drawing features had the same precision as the Surface pro tablet, it would be a pretty rad artists tool.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I want that Surface.

I am currently using my work surface pro 4 as a tv to watch movies on while I paint Star War: Legion miniatures.

It is good for this.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

I mean, there's machine learning to spot deforestation, and then there's machine learning to determine who to shoot missiles at

Alternatively: machine learning to determine who to not shoot missiles at.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Alternatively: machine learning to determine who to not shoot missiles at.

I guess if you take the default stance the US military will shoot a missile at everyone, sure.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I assume the final call is still made by a person (otherwise bust out the torches and pitchforks) so improving threat recognition is all upside.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I want that Surface.

I would just spin it round in circles, again and again.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I want that Surface.

I am currently using my work surface pro 4 as a tv to watch movies on while I paint Star War: Legion miniatures.

It is good for this.

I have the same Surface! I love it, and would still be using to draw except I lost the pen and have been too lazy/cheap to replace it.

Drawing and painting on the giant tablet would rule so hard.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Oghulk on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2018
    how do you assess "core truth"?
    ... actually never mind, I'm sure he's thought out an overly complicated scheme that couldn't possibly backfire and dissolve into ideological factions.

tynic on
  • Options
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pravda?

• Options
    Silicon Valley: "Let's make a website that croudsources truth! We'll get so rich!"

The mind: "guess my job is getting outsourced..."

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Isn't he basically describing snopes?

Which also makes it weird that Nate Silver is so snarky about it.

Javen on
  • Options
    Pravda?

you know, lucifer's fashion designer

• Options
  • Options
    Musk just needs to work the blockchain into his idea and he'll be able to mint millions of dollars in funding from investors.

• Options
    I'm kinda passed (or past?) revering people like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos and The Zuck. At least Bill Gates settled down into quiet philanthropy (although that has problems too) after being forced to leave Microsoft

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Man, maybe he should get on one of his rockets and go to fucking Mars already.

Ideally by himself.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it's like there's some kind of competition to be the most obliviously evil person in tech lately

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    All these assholes who launched themselves thinking they were gonna save the world and get rich doing it, and haven't realised they're the people we need saving from.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No Nic, if they just act the way they want us to, the world will be saved.

Side note, Bill Gates was forced out?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Bill Gates was not forced out to the best of my knowledge.

• Options
    I think Bill stepped down for his family.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Does making a news verifier website fix the assload of problems your stupid car has Elon? No?

Then maybe work on that instead of complaining about the writeups of your stupid car that falls apart. Dude bought into his own cult of personality so hard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think Elon Musk has his good and bad points but his extreme peevishness over the press is something he needs to reign the fuck in.

It honestly seems like the Model 3 is potentially a huge disaster, and I think it's a product that kind of needed to do well. The world needs a good, affordable electric car. It doesn't need to be a Tesla, but I think that was the best shot.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    I think Elon Musk has his good and bad points but his extreme peevishness over the press is something he needs to reign the fuck in.

It honestly seems like the Model 3 is potentially a huge disaster, and I think it's a product that kind of needed to do well. The world needs a good, affordable electric car. It doesn't need to be a Tesla, but I think that was the best shot.

Agreed, except to the bolded. It seems as though it isn’t the best shot, but it was the kick-in-the-ass the industry needed - at least in the US.

Ford and GM are now producing and shipping one or two full electric vehicles in the $30k Model 3 range. Nissan is continuing development on the Leaf, also in the Model 3 price range.

e: Correction, Ford is still only shipping Hybrid cars in the US. No full electric.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I honestly think they can sort it out, but they're just speedrunning all the mistakes GM made in the 80s and 90s and they need to sit down and realize that everyone else makes cars a certain way for a reason.

The part where it drives is fairly good from most reports, it's just all the fit and finish is a total disaster because they're trying to re-reinvent the automotive factory.

They're not helped by the extremely silicon valley fix it in production methodology they apply to the software end too. I was hearing reports that the brakes were bugged and randomly making the car take 40 additional feet to stop, putting it at longer than an F-150. That's bad!

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean, people complain about in car setups, how they are forever behind technology, but on the other hand, they don't fuck up (until now).

This discussion has been closed.