As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Super Bowl, PHI vs NE, Now On NBC.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    fwiw both the referee and the head of officiating have said the jets fumble was "obvious" and that it was the right call. from their interviews it sounds like they considered ASJ switching the ball from one arm to the other as not controlling it through the ground

*shrug emoji*

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    either way it seems an overly harsh rule that should probably be changed. in madden it was always a particularly distressing result, especially since they never explain why the hell you don't have 7 points or the ball anymore

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    either way it seems an overly harsh rule that should probably be changed. in madden it was always a particularly distressing result, especially since they never explain why the hell you don't have 7 points or the ball anymore
    Madden wrote:
    BOOM!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    fwiw both the referee and the head of officiating have said the jets fumble was "obvious" and that it was the right call. from their interviews it sounds like they considered ASJ switching the ball from one arm to the other as not controlling it through the ground

*shrug emoji*

they're still wrong, shrug. nfl cyas all the time even on calls they know are wrong, so this doesn't convince me much at all. if it was ruled that on the field, sure, but there is in no universe where there is indisputable evidence he didn't recover the ball or hit knee first after doing so.

the central conceit of the review system is when you can't be sure what happened, you throw your hands in the air and let the field ruling stand.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

*shrug emoji*

they're still wrong, shrug. nfl cyas all the time even on calls they know are wrong, so this doesn't convince me much at all. if it was ruled that on the field, sure, but there is in no universe where there is indisputable evidence he didn't recover the ball or hit knee first after doing so.

the central conceit of the review system is when you can't be sure what happened, you throw your hands in the air and let the field ruling stand.

and they'll often admit when they made the wrong call. i don't know what more there is to say about it if you don't believe the foremost authority on it. if in the referee's eyes, switching the ball from left to right is not having control, which is what they said, there is indisputable video evidence he did not reestablish possession going to the ground.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    if you want to argue that that IS control, well, i'm glad the people who were in charge of making the decision disagreed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    re-reading it, the ref makes it sounds like, by rule, once you fumble, you have to go to the ground and survive hitting the ground to re-establish possession.

and since he was falling out of bounds, there was literally like.. no way for him to do it. unless he landed in bounds. if that's the case its a pretty dumb rule

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    re-reading it, the ref makes it sounds like, by rule, once you fumble, you have to go to the ground and survive hitting the ground to re-establish possession.

and since he was falling out of bounds, there was literally like.. no way for him to do it. unless he landed in bounds. if that's the case its a pretty dumb rule

I guess it's like a bobbled catch? I'm leaving work soon and can't look up the rules, but from what I recall if you bobble a catch and then regain possession and your next contact is OB it's not a catch.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

I guess it's like a bobbled catch? I'm leaving work soon and can't look up the rules, but from what I recall if you bobble a catch and then regain possession and your next contact is OB it's not a catch.

they said its basically like a catch with having to reestablish possession, not just control, so i'm pretty sure you're right -

but its unclear whether its not reestablished because of

1. shifting the ball from arm to arm at the end - representing not "keeping control through the ground"

or 2. since he landed out of bounds, he was never going to be able to reestablish possession, since he had to keep control through the ground to "reestablish", and as soon as he hit out of bounds its a touchback since the ball is still a fumble until that possession is reestablished

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    People who watched UCLA cackle madly. Hundley is... not good.

I think this is not exactly accurate.

In a 3 year career he had almost 10,000 yds passing. A 75/25 td/int ratio and lowest season passer rating was 147

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The complaint was that he ran too much. And may not have a good pocket presence due to getting sacked to much. But, with the GB OL, he'd be right at home!

And in three seasons still managed to end up with the school record for most TDs (75). Rosen needs 26 right now to beat it.

People who watched UCLA knew he had talent. Whether or not he has enough for the NFL is always the question.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    People who watched UCLA cackle madly. Hundley is... not good.

I think this is not exactly accurate.

In a 3 year career he had almost 10,000 yds passing. A 75/25 td/int ratio and lowest season passer rating was 147

JT Barrett IV scoffs at those numbers.

SCOFFS!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    all kaepernick needs to say is brandon weeden is on a team and he isn't

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    all kaepernick needs to say is brandon weeden is so terrible Dallas decided to play Matt Cassell instead

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fuck that, Joe Webb was signed as a backup QB!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Webb

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jay Cutler is starting, I rest my case your honor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jay Cutler is starting, I rest my case your honor.

but he fits their system, you see

• Options
    edited October 2017

That is what he's saying, but the knee might have came down first which means he would have re established in bounds and thus it's a touchdown. The video evidence isn't strong enough to overturn.

And yes it's a very dumb rule.

Edit: though, further, a bobble doesn't always count as a loss of control for a runner like it does a receiver so it's mostly bullshit on top of bullshit.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Are we not going to see a replay of a potentially bad spot?

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Go go JaGOATby!

I want to see him steal the starting job from Luck.

It won’t happen.

But I want to see it.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Fuck that, Joe Webb was signed as a backup QB!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Webb

1) joe webb rules
    2) he's actually a special teams player

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i am horrified that i am leading in a fantasy league

what is going on you guys

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    "I think it was accidental." As the replay shows the guy clearly extend his arms to push him down.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    That's some exotic smashmouth footbaw!

• Options
    Is this a competitive bad game? Is that what i'm seeing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Malarkey looks constantly befuddled.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

So... yeah. Kaep isn't getting picked up in GB because of sunken cost on our 3rd string QB.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

So... yeah. Kaep isn't getting picked up in GB because of sunken cost on our 3rd string QB.

God fuckign damn it. Hopefully its just an act. Rodgers is getting surgery, he's done for the season. Just fucking tank and get a high draft pick for a change.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    holy shit, @dlinfiniti has one in the win column now! Also, there is a swarm of 4-2s in F&L, may the highest point totals win.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    holy shit, @dlinfiniti has one in the win column now! Also, there is a swarm of 4-2s in F&L, may the highest point totals win.

first of all its not just a win
    it is the highest scoring team in the history of week 6
    what amazing win
    what gutsy play
    a match for the ages
    this is where history will mark the turn around point of the championship sp00ns' season
    incredible
    Joe Montana would be in awe

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    every time i see that i'm winning F&L i want to vomit a bit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    do you guys think that Kaep and his lawyer would file suit and claim collusion without evidence?

like filing suit and losing because you didn't have any good evidence isn't going to help you at all

so i think it's pretty certain that they have at least SOMETHING they can use to prove collusion

They tried to prove collusion on artificially holding down player salaries a few years ago and failed

I don't think the act of filing is reflective of how confident they are or arent

And as correct as I think Kaep is in the general direction of his complaints, I don't think he's a font of wisdom or savvy dealings

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

*shrug emoji*

This angle makes it really obvious that it was the correct call. No idea why they weren't showing it on the broadcast
    https://streamable.com/qrsrb

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

*shrug emoji*

This angle makes it really obvious that it was the correct call. No idea why they weren't showing it on the broadcast

The only question in my mind is has he "recovered" the ball in between clearly not having ANY control of the ball as it's hovering in mid-air in front of him and landing on the ground and the ball popping loose again in his hands. It looks like it's being cradled the whole time, first by his arms and then his left hand, but even if it wasn't... I think I'm okay with them using the same standards as catching for fumble recoveries.*

* I guess it's not actually a fumble until he doesn't recover it, because a ball popping out of a player's hand right back into their hands isn't a fumble, but I don't think this is an inconsistent or unreasonable rules interpretation. Like, if Desean Jackson, instead of just dropping the ball before entering the endzone, threw it up to himself out the back of the endzone, we'd argue that he never had it in the endzone, right? It's just that, in this case, the loss-of-possession is so slight and close-to-the-body.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    that angle shows him regain possession of the football before his knee is down, in play, which then touches and instantly ends the possession as he's down by contact.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    that angle shows him regain possession of the football before his knee is down, in play, which then instantly ends the possession as he's down by contact.

I don't think so. He puts his right arm on the ball as he's falling, but it clearly squirts out (at 0:05, as the Pats' defender's hand passes by), and at 0:07, you can see the ball move again as he brings his left hand around to press it against his stomach, but then he lands on the ground and the ball bounces off his stomach as he rolls over at 0:10. His left hand looks like it's got the ball, but it's actually just on top of it, as you can see the ball move away from his hand and eventually slip out of his fingers.

I don't think there's a full second anywhere in the clip where he has the ball secured. And this is slow-motion!

• Options
    shrug. i continue to disagree that it's indisputable. but apparently they split the play up into pieces and said he conclusively lost the ball but inconclusive he recovered it, so it is automatically overturned somehow.

so congratulations nfl, you managed to make the ruling even dumber than i thought. always plumbing new depths of stupid.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

*shrug emoji*

The only question in my mind is has he "recovered" the ball in between clearly not having ANY control of the ball as it's hovering in mid-air in front of him and landing on the ground and the ball popping loose again in his hands. It looks like it's being cradled the whole time, first by his arms and then his left hand, but even if it wasn't... I think I'm okay with them using the same standards as catching for fumble recoveries.*

* I guess it's not actually a fumble until he doesn't recover it, because a ball popping out of a player's hand right back into their hands isn't a fumble, but I don't think this is an inconsistent or unreasonable rules interpretation. Like, if Desean Jackson, instead of just dropping the ball before entering the endzone, threw it up to himself out the back of the endzone, we'd argue that he never had it in the endzone, right? It's just that, in this case, the loss-of-possession is so slight and close-to-the-body.

I actually made that same comparison on reddit

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    shrug. i continue to disagree that it's indisputable. but apparently they split the play up into pieces and said he conclusively lost the ball but inconclusive he recovered it, so it is automatically overturned somehow.

so congratulations nfl, you managed to make the ruling even dumber than i thought. always plumbing new depths of stupid.

Naw both parts are pretty conclusive. He definitely fumbled. He definitely didn't control it through going to ground oob, so he didn't regain the possession necessary for it to be a TD instead of a touchback

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    i think you might be a touch biased.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.