As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars]: The Last Jedi - A completely uncontroversial film. TAG SPOILERS

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember what the default Y-axis was on Rogue Squadron. I think it was inverted, but that's fine when your flight controls are all on the left stick. I think non-inverted flight controls make more sense when the left stick is throttle or whatever and the right stick adjusts the camera, thus moving your vehicle/reticle (like in Halo).

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Rouge Squadron was not inverted. I played X-Wing a ton on PC and the first time I tried Rouge Squadron on a kiosk I was like, wtf is with these controls?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmmm maybe

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Prequel memes are incredible
    *snip*SAND*snip*

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit.

sarukun on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just watched Bombad Jedi, which is the first Clone Wars ep I didn't enjoy

Hopefully they don't ever do that again

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    BF2 Storyline Stuffs
    I don't think the math works out quite right for Iden to be Rey's mom. Ben becomes Kylo Ren about six or so years before TFA, and he's already Ren when they find Del and he gets murdered. So by that time Rey has already been on Jakku for about ten years.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2017
    I just can't imagine who on Earth would think that's more intuitive than "press it right to look to your right"

I do, because I think of it as a camera that has to maintain focus on the character. If I want to look to the right, I have to swing to the left.

A duck! on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It depends if I'm in first person or third person.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm not married to either method but yeah, I wouldn't ever want "push left, look right" in a first-person game

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my brain doesn't understand left = right in any sort of format

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    my brain doesn't understand left = right in any sort of format

Heck my brain has enough trouble with right = right I don't need to bother with left = right

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I never use x axis inversion, but y axis inversion makes sense for plane stuff because I tend to imagine myself inside the actual plane/spaceship/etc so it makes a lot more sense there

what I can never wrap my brain around is using a control stick for a first person view (that isn't a flight sim thing with a joystick) because the way my brain views it is that you're pushing your character's view in a direction, rather than actively moving it around with a mouse

so yeah, no thank you to console FPSs

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I use whatever is default

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I just remember a time where I was playing a game that had both camera control styles, and I thought, "Wait, these controls aren't right!" So I went to the options menu and toggled it, only to realize, "Huh? This isn't right, either! Wait..."

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I never use x axis inversion, but y axis inversion makes sense for plane stuff because I tend to imagine myself inside the actual plane/spaceship/etc so it makes a lot more sense there

what I can never wrap my brain around is using a control stick for a first person view (that isn't a flight sim thing with a joystick) because the way my brain views it is that you're pushing your character's view in a direction, rather than actively moving it around with a mouse

I used to think y axis inversion made it more like a plane and then I did some glider simulators.

Up and down on the stick puts the nose down and up like you’d explain expect.

Right and left on the stick causes the craft to rotate, not turn, right and left.

And then pressing down on the left pedal makes the plane turn right and vice versa.

It took a while to get my head around.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    BF2 Storyline Stuffs
    I don't think the math works out quite right for Iden to be Rey's mom. Ben becomes Kylo Ren about six or so years before TFA, and he's already Ren when they find Del and he gets murdered. So by that time Rey has already been on Jakku for about ten years.

So it's early here and I was told there would be no maths but:

Why would that mean that Iden isn't Rey's mom? Not trying to challenge you here, just looking for an explanation for my foggy pre-coffee brain

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Lair of Grievous was a rad episode

I'm really digging Grievous in Clone Wars

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I used to think y axis inversion made it more like a plane and then I did some glider simulators.

Right and left on the stick causes the craft to rotate, not turn, right and left.

And then pressing down on the left pedal makes the plane turn right and vice versa.

Ailerons versus rudder, yeah.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    There is no "right" answer to camera controls, it's all in how you think about it and the popular conventions were established largely by chance. However it really really pays to join the mainstream here. Retrain yourself to use WASD with non-inverted controls and you'll never again have to suffer from inadequate config settings in a game.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Pitch, Roll, Yaw, referring to control of elevators (up/down), ailerons (roll left/right around the long axis) and rudder (turn left/right along the short axis).
    Or as our southern training instructor called it "Pitch and roll, yall"

Though in a non-flying game, just imagine there's a camera three feet behind the character's head that's always pointing at them. If you want to look right, you move the camera towards the character's left.

Really though if your game needs a mental construct to understand how the camera works you're probably being a little ridiculous.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So I can't link it because its not open to no patrons yet but SFDebris has been doing a sort of documentary/breakdown of the lead-up and production of the various Star Wars films. Here is the one for "A New Hope" if anybody is interested.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php

I personally found the ones he does for the OT interesting but only as a sort of interpreter and aggregator of the millions of documentaries that have come out over the years. Its sort of an attempt to parse all those contradictory accounts without spin. The prequels one which should be public sometime in December has been a revelation for me in breaking down the many odd decisions that led to the prequels existing in their current form.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My favorite coverage of behind the scenes star wars stuff has always been the coffee table books. THey are HUGE and comprehensive.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbfr6k7R9zQ

I wasn't sure how this would work during the initial setup but the payoff is really good. Williams' score works exceptionally well for this scene.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I actually really like the version with no music, just the sound effects in space. I think it really works during the Y-Wing bombing run

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There's no sound in space, that's why space scenes need music

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yes I know But I kinda liked the eerie silence. And I also like the sound design of Star Wars ships. *shrug*

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    In space, no one can hear your philharmonic orchestra

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That hammerhead part is my favorite part of the movie after anything with Y-Wings and the squadron leader check in.

Just. Those guys go in and ride that Star Destroyer to hell.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The Battle of Scarif is far and away the best part of the entire movie.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Battle of Scarif is far and away the best part of the entire movie.

I feel the opening prison break is neat as they are using Clone wars era tech

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    The skipper of that hammerhead is a stone-cold badass.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought the Hammerhead was a cool throwback to the OR as why did that ship look like that?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    The skipper of that hammerhead is a stone-cold badass.

The whole crew.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Do any of them survive that?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Karl wrote: »

If you look super close as the Destroyer parts crash into the shield gate you can see the hammerhead still there but its escape pods are gone on the bottom.

However due to what happens right afterward the likelihood of any of that crew making it away save is very slim.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I don't think that music fits very well, but from a technical standpoint, that's a good edit.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I don't think that music fits very well, but from a technical standpoint, that's a good edit.

It's a cool idea

It almost feels like a proof of Rogue One fitting right in? Like, if your Star Wars movie doesn't work with a John Williams score, you fucked up

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Is there something in particular about it that you think doesn’t work? Is it a tone thing?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Karl wrote: »

Apparently all non-essential personnel already evacced. Of the crew that's left, I believe the official story is they all died. The ones that made it to pods got vaped when the DS fired. At least that's what it was last I checked.

manwiththemachinegun on
This discussion has been closed.