As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

mister police. you could have saved her. I gave you all the [MOVIES]

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dark Tower and Alien Covenant are the worst films I've seen in theaters this year. Both of which other people paid for/took me to, at least

Dark Tower was possibly the most disappointed I've been in a film all decade

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well this Naritsugu guy seems likes he's not very good at all huh

CYpGAPn.png
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Last night I saw Blade Runner for free, had a pass. The projector broke down about an hour into it, the manager came in, gave us two free tickets each and told us the screen next door was also playing it (in 2D), and only started 30 minutes after the showing we were in.

So I go into that theater and there's a drunk dude cackling and hooting through the thing. Members of the audience go talk to the staff, he gets ejected, and the film catches up to right where the projector broke down in the first screen, and everything else goes smoothly.

I leave the theater, and the manager's there again, apologizing for the drunk guy and handing out more free tickets. Saw Blade Runner for free and got four free tickets. Not a bad night.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    13 Assassins is pretty accessible as far as Miike goes

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Miike has the wildest filmography

The closest American equivalent I can think of is, like, The Coens? But a) that's literally two dudes and b) There're still some genres (e.g., horror, war, Phoenix Wright adaptations) that they haven't even touched

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Horror nerds, how do you feel about It Follows

An usher at my indie cinema deliberately made a point of coming in half way through and walking directly at me when I was the only one watching it

so I guess I have good memories of that movie

Oh my god I would have died

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hmm what to watch tonight

Oh The Craft is on Netflix. Sexy teen witches goooo

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Ok Fateful Findings is even more bizarre than the Flophouse led me to believe. Holy shit.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    oh wait beauty and the beast came out and that was abysmally bad

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am starting up 13 Assassins

I think this is my first Takashi Miike film?

8izl9jtuep0v.jpg

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    oops

Grey Ghost on
    I'm gonna guess that's from a big dramatic moment of the film

That I just said I was watching for the first time

Maybe it would have been cooler to put it in a spoiler box?

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess that's from a big dramatic moment of the film

That I just said I was watching for the first time

Maybe it would have been cooler to put it in a spoiler box?

It is a memorable moment afterward, but it spoils nothing.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Eh, it wasn't great, but I don't think it was that awful.

Fencingsax wrote: »

i was expecting it to not be great, but I really, really hated how it thought queer people were just some hilarious joke

I'd definitely watch Beauty and the Beast again before I'd watch something like Wish Upon or Batman The Killing Joke or 47 Meters Down or King Arthur again

There's been a lot of good films this year, but there's been a loooooot of real bad stuff this year

I've definitely seen a whole lot of really good films this year (and also missed a bunch of good ones), and it feels pretty good to have only seen one that I absolutely hated

Finished up 13 Assassins

Really liked it! Great performances, killer action and a commitment to showing how filthy and horrible a feudal massacre would be.

Hiryama and Kiga were my favorites. Shinza was great too.

Highlight was
    Hirayama's dope ass field of swords moment. That was the coolest shit ever.

Also, I'm assuming Kiga is meant to be aome sort of trickster spirit or something since that motherfucker got stabbed in the back and died but showed up good as new at the end?

CYpGAPn.png
    Pretty much on Kiga, yes.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

i was expecting it to not be great, but I really, really hated how it thought queer people were just some hilarious joke

That was incontestably the worst part. I absolutely understand if that stuff was beyond the pale for you.

Fencingsax on
    For real the Hiryama scene in 13 Assassins was amazing
    The slow pan over the courtyard showing approximately 7248 swords stashed all over the place, straight up stuck in the ground, and all of the evil mooks gradually realizing what they are walking into with the camera finally focusing on
    f2cciqz755e0.jpg
    "Kill any that get past me."

The fuckin' coolest

CYpGAPn.png
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anybody into video essays? I'm finding myself turned off them except for a couple creators, but this one is pretty dang good. It's tough to consistently find new insights into form, but Nerdwriter does a great job of it.

Here he talks about a cool thing Fincher does that I'd never noticed before.

https://youtu.be/GfqD5WqChUY

edited October 2017
    Gerard Butler, really living up to the name of Star of Bad Movie Geostorm: "I injected myself with bee venom twice after doing stunts for Geostorm and had to go to the hospital twice"
    Gerard Butler has told how he went into anaphylactic shock after being injected with the venom of 23 bee stings.

The Scottish actor said he had been over-exuberant with the remedy, which some claim eases muscle ache, after a 12-hour day of performing stunts on set for his latest film, Geostorm.

Butler told the ITV chat show Lorraine: “I had heard of this guy injecting bee venom, because apparently it has many anti-inflammatory compounds. So, I’m like: ‘Come, come to New Orleans where we’re filming.’ So, he gives me a shot, and I go: ‘Oh, that’s interesting’ – because it stings.

“Then he gives me 10 shots, and then I have the worst reaction. I kind of enter this anaphylactic shock. It’s awful, creepy crawlies all over me, swelled up, heart’s going to explode. But I go through it, and then I find out he gave me 10 times too much.”

Butler was immediately taken to hospital, but admitted that four days later he decided to give the remedy another go. “I decide to do it again because, I think: ‘Maybe I just took too much.’ So, he’s on the phone, and this time I have to go to the hospital [again].”

Sweeney Tom on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Gerry, you are a fucking moron.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    A genuine idiot

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Reminds me of one of my favorite King of the Hill Episodes.

The Mutual of Omabwah: where Hank and Bobby find out their insurance has lapsed due to a missed payment and they both freak out while Dale loses control of his bee scheme and Boomhaur and Bill start deep frying everything in the alley.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Today's movies will be Life and Wish Upon

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I lived in an apartment one summer where the landlord kept bees out back for some sort of stinging therapy. Except he used them for stuff like arthritis, and did it one or two stings at a time, not 23 bees-worth.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jeezum crow stay as far away as you can fucking get from the curse of chucky

i don;t remember what monster recommended that complete pile of shit here but you are terrible terrible people

i am literally a lesser human for having seen that crap my fucking god

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm consistently baffled that Chucky movies continue to be made

UnbreakableVow on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Curse of chucky is a blast

Its also got like an 80 on RT so i guess there are a lot of horrible monsters who like it out there

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I liked curse and cult of Chucky so I'd be fine with being a monster.

More work for the dourif's please.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jeezum crow stay as far away as you can fucking get from the curse of chucky

i don;t remember what monster recommended that complete pile of shit here but you are terrible terrible people

i am literally a lesser human for having seen that crap my fucking god

I just imagine you shouting this and stomping up to your room. It makes me laugh.

Curse is great, Cult is amazing

More Chucky films always if they're finally starting to be actually good instead of "so bad they're good"

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    curse of chucky is good

the child's play franchise is good

john waters gets murdered by a doll in one of them

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Everybody has a horror franchise that they just couldn't possibly be asked to give a fuck about ever under any circumstances, some people it's Helraiser, some people it's Halloween, mine is definitley Chucky

And I love Brad Dourif

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i don't

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Finally saw Colossal. I... didn't love it?

I was super on board for a while, but the whole second half didn't really work for me. I don't know if it's a conceptual thing or an execution thing or both, but the Big Serious Ending felt off.

This discussion has been closed.