Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Bojack.

Bojack is wonderful but will absolutely eat at your self doubt about if you are inflicting harm on your children that will haunt them their whole lives.

On top of making you wonder if you're otherwise a real piece of shit.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea how the deal with The Expanse and Netflix stands? I get S4 is Amazon, but does Netflix get S3 and is it coming to Europe?

The Expanse is my SF drug of choice.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was dead when Amazon picked up the show earlier this year. AFAIK, Netflix's agreement was with SciFi not the production company.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Buster Scruggs was really fucking good. The Coen Bros knocked it out of the park. It's a brilliant series of small scale segmented short stories in the style of old pulp serials of the 40s and 50s. It opens bombastically but settles in for some amazing tales from the west. It's got everything you could want in a cowboy movie all with that subtle edge and wit that the Coens are so well known for. Everyone involved is absolutely giving it their all and it shows. There's a little bit of dodgy CGI in a few parts but overall the film looked amazing. There were plenty of wide open vista and epic panning shots across the vast untapped wilderness of the American old west. The attention to detail was impressive, especially for the genera. It's definitely worth the time if you have Netflix.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    *Coen Brothers

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Rewatching/podcasting Stranger Things on a whim. I forgot about surprise metalhead racism out of nowhere.

Fanwankery but could you imagine ST and It happening near the same times? Steven King multiverse being weird and junk.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Okay Sabrina is slow but having taken a class on witches its lore is accurate af and I love it

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs, what a waste of time.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

This is a bad opinion

It is possibly the most Coen thing I’ve ever seen and I love it for that

• Options

This is a bad opinion

It is possibly the most Coen thing I’ve ever seen and I love it for that

I'll second this. Scruggs was great. The cinematography alone makes it worth watching.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    It's about on par with the Lady Killers remake. Easily one of the most pointless things the Coens have ever done.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's about on par with the Lady Killers remake. Easily one of the most pointless things the Coens have ever done.

What does that even mean?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Buster Scruggs wasnt what I thought it was going to be so it left me kind of disappointed, but looking back there was really only one segment that didnt do anything for me which was the Liam Neeson segment.

If you're expecting a 2 hour coherent story, you'll be disappointed. If you're not its pretty great. Also, the Ballad of Buster Scruggs segment was fantastic, easily my favorite. Ordering the rest kinda gets more difficult but I think it'd be something like this:

1: Buster Scruggs
    2: All Gold Canyon
    3: The Girl Who Got Rattled
    4: The Mortal Remains
    5: Near Algodones

6: Meal Ticket

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Saw Ballad, loved Ballad. It's now my 5th favorite Coen bros movie. The ranking goes:

1. A Serious Man
    2. The Big Lebowski
    3. Inside Llewyn Davis
    4. Barton Fink
    5. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    6. Hail, Caesar!
    7. Burn After Reading
    8. No Country for Old Men
    9. Fargo
    10. Miller's Crossing
    11. Blood Simple
    12. The Man Who Wasn't There
    13. O Brother Where Art Thou?
    14. The Hudsucker Proxy
    15. Raising Arizona
    16. True Grit
    17. The Ladykillers
    18. Intolerable Cruelty

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Heard disturbing accounts of racism against Native Americans in Buster Scruggs. Is this true? The Coens' may be talented filmmakers but they do have history of problematic decisions and opinions.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Bojack.

Bojack is outstanding. I think I watched all of it in a week and a half.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Heard disturbing accounts of racism against Native Americans in Buster Scruggs. Is this true? The Coens' may be talented filmmakers but they do have history of problematic decisions and opinions.

It was the period, dude. Glossing over the terrible racist attitudes of the time would be worse, I think.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm not a native american history expert but the hanging scene with james franco and the attack seemed odd to me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

This seems like generic twitter outrage. Indians are shown as raiding parties in two of the stories and that's about it and they aren't even the crux of those stories either, and nothing comes across as out of sorts for the period.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs was overall good, but one great, one really good one good story don't make up for the other three meh to terrible ones, even though Stephen Root was in one of them. Meal Ticket, I've not felt contempt like that for a movie since American Hustle (or The Assassin) and really showed how the anthology portion cut into anything that would establish growth or emotion or characterization. The whole thing felt a bit like the Coen's didn't bring their A-game and just settled on a B-game and Netflix was none the wiser, using the anthology to skip out on real endings for two of them.

But damn that Buster Scruggs part was the best, I want a whole movie like that, in 10 minutes it did more than A Million Ways to Die in the West did with 100.

Power Ranking:

1. Buster Scruggs
    2. Gal Who Got Rattled
    3. All Gold Canyon
    4. The Mortal Remains
    5. Near Algodones

10. Meal Ticket

• Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    NVM, I can’t read. I thought there was some controversy with the filming and casting. But, I can’t find anything. It might have been another production I am thinking of. Westerns have a number of tricky pitfalls around them anyways, for obvious reasons.

Colanut on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    buster scruggs spoilers
    there's a bit where a white guy singlehandedly fights off a war party of comanches that i thought was highly questionable. less because it depicts native americans as being violent then because it depicts them as being bad at violence. like he specifically makes comments about how they fight stupidly and will run away if their leader gets killed, because they're superstitious or something. i thought that was not historically accurate

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I finally am catching up on Altered Carbon. I don't really get the changes they made to the envoy stuff.
    They basically took book envoys, made them C-Tact or whatever and then made Envoys a resistance cult. I guess it adds depth and flavor to the character?
    I do like making his sister the bad guy though.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Show Me a Hero is the last David Simon show I need to watch before I start The Deuce. Almost finished now and I’d say it’s pretty enjoyable. The structure is really neat—here’s this bitchy political fight storyline, with Oscar Isaacs fighting to be mayor of Yonkers amid a big dispute about whether the city will build public housing for low income residents, and the other half of the show is a half dozen stories of those would-be residents living their lives. It demonstrates in a really strong way that the people the vocally racist Yonkers NIMBYs are so worried about are just people who deserve a chance and would probably really benefit from this housing. The structure makes the point without the show having to be didactic about it.

What’s great, too, is Isaacs’ performance as man who is a hero almost in spite of himself, and only slowly comes to realize the enormity of what he’s actually done. This slow dawning mirrors the audience’s understanding of the moral implications of the story. Really powerful stuff.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I’m on Gold Canyon and so far this Buster Scruggs anthology series seems like the worst thing I’ve ever seen from the Coen bros.

Even the singing cowboy thing at the start which everyone else seems to love. I find the actor supremely grating to begin with and then he’s doing the weird singing cowboy shtick from the early 20th century, which was so played out by mid century that they made fun of it in The Searchers.

• Options

It was the period, dude. Glossing over the terrible racist attitudes of the time would be worse, I think.

No-one is asking for it to be glossed over, the complaints I’ve read are they were employing negative stereotypes from the 50’s in it and not doing anything constructive or instructive with it.

Their options aren’t simply doing what they did and ignoring the racism entirely. Plenty of film makers have delved into racism against minorities in America without looking like they wanted to play the Greatest Hits with negative racist stereotypes in media. When people in the audience are getting the idea they think you’re encouraging racism than showing how bad it is it’s time to rethink about how your going about subjects like that when you make a movie.

• Options
    Finished Ballad of Buster Scruggs

All Gold Canyon was probably my favorite, followed by Mortal Remains.

Gal Who Got Rattled was good for the first 90%, but then it kicks you in the crotch and steals your lunch money

Buster Scruggs was ok, but very grating

Algodones and Meal Ticket were a trash fire

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Bojack.

Bojack is wonderful but will absolutely eat at your self doubt about if you are inflicting harm on your children that will haunt them their whole lives.

On top of making you wonder if you're otherwise a real piece of shit.

Conversely, it might make you feel "well I'm not being a complete and total evil piece of shit to my kids, so maybe I'm not doing too bad after all"

• Options
    I have discovered a film on Netflix called Slow West.

It’s much better than Buster Scruggs was, and it has Michael Fassbender

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Narcos is back! *screams*

• Options
    LoisLane wrote: »

The show hasn't lost any of its potency. Best season yet from the episodes I've seen.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ugh man, that Devil May Cry news gives me the chills. I would love for him to just buy out all the rights from Capcom and make a huge multiverse. It would be cool if he shopped to other studios too. I'd like a Parasite Eve anime too!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Watched The Curious Creations of Christine McConnel on the weekend with the fam. At first I was turned off by the (admittiedly intentional) cheesiness, but once I let myself buy into the premise, I came away completely charmed. It's a DIY show who wears its Adams Family/Munsters/Elvira influence on its sleeve, with backing from Jim Henson Studios. The fact that Christine herself is easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either.

Two parts that had my rolling my eyes and giggling at the same time:

1: - While already preparing a ridiculously elaborate meal for her coming date, Christine takes a break and retires up to her room to go make a dress. My whole family: "OH COME ON!"

2:
    - Christine (contemplating a neighbor's fate): "I do think we should kill him!"
    - Everyone else: "Yay!"
    - Christine (in a chastising tone): "With kindness"
    - Cat: "UGH! But that takes sooo loooooong!"

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watched The Curious Creations of Christine McConnel on the weekend with the fam. At first I was turned off by the (admittiedly intentional) cheesiness, but once I let myself buy into the premise, I came away completely charmed. It's a DIY show who wears its Adams Family/Munsters/Elvira influence on its sleeve, with backing from Jim Henson Studios. The fact that Christine herself is easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either.

1: - While already preparing a ridiculously elaborate meal for her coming date, Christine takes a break and retires up to her room to go make a dress. My whole family: "OH COME ON!"

2:

She is just ridiculously attractive. Incredibly talented, smart, and creative.

My "What the hell?" moment was just how long it takes to make a single bone cookie.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

2:

She is just ridiculously attractive. Incredibly talented, smart, and creative.

My "What the hell?" moment was just how long it takes to make a single bone cookie.

lol, right, and I'm sure she managed to whip up that crazily detailed gingerbread haunted house in a single afternoon too.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    So far I'm not loving the DEA parts.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Is Narcos: Mexico a continuation of the other 3 seasons? I was expecting a "New Episodes" and this being season 4, not just a whole new entry...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Ballad of Buster was 100% amazing. I can see how you might not like it if you aren't a fan of the Coen's way of doing things. If you are, i think you'll dig it.
    For me, i love western stuff, and the anthology stories were the perfect length to never over stay their welcome. Its also shot beautifully, and the acting was 100% great. Easily my 2nd favorite thing they've ever done.

Make no mistake though, if you like character progress and deep dives into the human condition this isn't your place. All the stories happen, and leave, with little to zero explanation of who what when where or why.
    Instead, its short little odd stories like a western Coen fever dream that jump in and out just fast enough to punch you in your gut and leave you wondering and wishing for and explanation. or -at least- an ending. Which you'll never get. They also do a great job of showing you what will happen long before it does, but making you spend the next 3 minutes (until the thing actually happens) convince yourself that what you know will happen isnt REALLY what will happen, and surely there is a better out come to ....... nope.

I want an entire Buster Scruggs movie (which i'll never get because Coen Bros) and I hope Mr Knapp will be ok.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ballad is on my Thanksgiving consumption list, and I would like to be friends with the people who rated A Serious Man as a top Coen flick, because I feel this is a beautiful gem overlooked by so many people, even fans.

Tried the new Michael Douglas/Alan Arkin series on Netflix and found it to be mediocre at best. It feels like a bunch of 60 year old Hollywood writers and producers rehashing characters, plots, and concepts we've all been watching for decades. It's really, really stale even with two exceptional actors (and many supporting cast members) on board. It's an unfortunate side effect of Peak TV, I think. A lot of this stuff would have never made it past pilot season even 10 years ago.

Also, totally unrelated, but where the hell is my back half of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Where is it! I'm waiting!

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Tried the new Michael Douglas/Alan Arkin series on Netflix and found it to be mediocre at best. It feels like a bunch of 60 year old Hollywood writers and producers rehashing characters, plots, and concepts we've all been watching for decades. It's really, really stale even with two exceptional actors (and many supporting cast members) on board. It's an unfortunate side effect of Peak TV, I think. A lot of this stuff would have never made it past pilot season even 10 years ago.

I don't believe you, the creator of THE BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN would never let me down with middling comedy!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Is Narcos: Mexico a continuation of the other 3 seasons? I was expecting a "New Episodes" and this being season 4, not just a whole new entry...

It's a whole new entry but it has to deal with Kiki Cameron which I think this guy who made DEA agents untouchable. Anyway, it is still pretty good and I'm loving it way more than I loved last season.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I don't believe you, the creator of THE BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN would never let me down with middling comedy!

Well, they secured dr. mantis toboggan to appear in it, so it has my interest.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.