Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just watched Buster Scruggs. I loved all of it. The titular segment was obviously great... all of them were actually, but I think my favorite one was Meal Ticket. That seems like an unpopular opinion here, so allow me to explain.
    If there’s a coherent theme through the movie, it’s that our lives are generally meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The American western setting is great for this as a framework. The old american west, like the universe in general, is grand and beautiful and does not give a single fuck about you. It doesn't care who you are, or where you've been, or where you're going, and whatever attempt you make to exert your dominance over it will eventually disperse and fade away.

Though all six stories share this theme to some degree, Meal Ticket is the one that really drives it home. It's absolutely brutal, to the point where I can definitely understand it turning many people off. The young performer has no hope, his only outlet when he orates in front of an audience. Otherwise, he's completely dependent on this man who barely seems to tolerate him, and the first time the man sees an opportunity to move to something better, he takes it and disposes of the boy like an old piece of furniture that's outlived its usefulness. And even then, it appears the man was conned by the original owner of the chicken anyway, so it was all for nothing, and the man will probably die soon as well with no way to support himself any longer.

Nothing means anything. It's unflinchingly callous, and it holds a mirror to our own lives. How many of us go about our business every day, performing our routine, just waiting for an opportunity for something better, and for what? To eventually die just like everyone else, for the memories of our lives to fade away with the deaths of those who knew us, and for everything to eventually fade away n the heat-death of the universe. It's nihilistic to a fault. But in those moments when the boy is orating, his one chance to express himself, you see a small glint of happiness mixed in with his despair. He knows his fate. He has accepted it long ago. And yet he still goes on in the face of it, doing whatever he can to find some measure of meaning in this short, meaningless life. He is all of us.

So yeah, that one really struck a chord with me. They were all quite good in their own way though, and I'm looking forward to watching it again to pick up on more details I'm sure I missed the first time around. Highly recommended to everyone who likes westerns and/or Coen Brothers flicks. Or just good cinema in general.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Just watched Buster Scruggs. I loved all of it. The titular segment was obviously great... all of them were actually, but I think my favorite one was Meal Ticket. That seems like an unpopular opinion here, so allow me to explain.
    If there’s a coherent theme through the movie, it’s that our lives are generally meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The American western setting is great for this as a framework. The old american west, like the universe in general, is grand and beautiful and does not give a single fuck about you. It doesn't care who you are, or where you've been, or where you're going, and whatever attempt you make to exert your dominance over it will eventually disperse and fade away.

Though all six stories share this theme to some degree, Meal Ticket is the one that really drives it home. It's absolutely brutal, to the point where I can definitely understand it turning many people off. The young performer has no hope, his only outlet when he orates in front of an audience. Otherwise, he's completely dependent on this man who barely seems to tolerate him, and the first time the man sees an opportunity to move to something better, he takes it and disposes of the boy like an old piece of furniture that's outlived its usefulness. And even then, it appears the man was conned by the original owner of the chicken anyway, so it was all for nothing, and the man will probably die soon as well with no way to support himself any longer.

Nothing means anything. It's unflinchingly callous, and it holds a mirror to our own lives. How many of us go about our business every day, performing our routine, just waiting for an opportunity for something better, and for what? To eventually die just like everyone else, for the memories of our lives to fade away with the deaths of those who knew us, and for everything to eventually fade away n the heat-death of the universe. It's nihilistic to a fault. But in those moments when the boy is orating, his one chance to express himself, you see a small glint of happiness mixed in with his despair. He knows his fate. He has accepted it long ago. And yet he still goes on in the face of it, doing whatever he can to find some measure of meaning in this short, meaningless life. He is all of us.

So yeah, that one really struck a chord with me. They were all quite good in their own way though, and I'm looking forward to watching it again to pick up on more details I'm sure I missed the first time around. Highly recommended to everyone who likes westerns and/or Coen Brothers flicks. Or just good cinema in general.

Did you notice the interesting way the dialog was written? The only time anyone speaks is on stage, performing and it's hardly important what anyone actually says. It's set, blocked and performed like a silent film too. I found it to be an interesting thematic twist.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Did you notice the interesting way the dialog was written? The only time anyone speaks is on stage, performing and it's hardly important what anyone actually says. It's set, blocked and performed like a silent film too. I found it to be an interesting thematic twist.

In Meal Ticket you mean? I don't think I noticed the stage thing specifically (I think there may have been a couple of exceptions to this), but I did notice how the dialogue throughout didn't really matter. You're right, it could have been completely silent and it would have been just as effective, which is kind of remarkable.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The Bodyguard is cool, but not super happy with more brown people are terrorists styled streaming thrillers.

Is that Robb Starks natural voice?

his accent is super distinctive it is Scottish?

I think it's Scottish, but I'm not exactly well versed in accents. His ma'am sounds like "mum".

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't get the gameshow reruns, Amazon has a bunch up too of Family Feud and Supermarket Sweep and others.

old people own Netflix accounts too

Yeah but we just watch Jeopardy that's airing right now. Who wants to watch a random selection of old episodes?

I work until 9 and don't have a DVR, so... Me.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Amazon was making a big deal about this new Kung Fu Panda TV show they have that just premiered this week, and......meh, no dice. I know I'm not the target audience but the franchise was always worthwhile. It's got weaker 3D animation than the movies and even those 30 minutes specials they've done because duh, but even then it's just generic troublemaker kids get ancient powers and Po has to teach them because new bad guy wants that power. And this may be animal racism but the pandas look too much alike you don't have the buffer of the different kung-fu masters making people stand-out, it's just 75% pandas and rats this time around, even with their various clothing to distinguish themselves. Add to it the kid pandas are already just the generic Microsoft Paperclip character templates seen for forever and they couldn't even switch them around in a different manner and there's just nothing here, after two episodes I'm calling the time.

I do give it credit for two things: Amy Hill is the voice of the grandmother of two kids, who is basically the adult/exposition dump figure and I always enjoy having her in stuff, and the guy who does Po is so uncannily similar to Jack Black I thought it was Jack Black. It's one of the few, if only times a voice change-up has been seamless.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Amazon was making a big deal about this new Kung Fu Panda TV show they have that just premiered this week, and......meh, no dice. I know I'm not the target audience but the franchise was always worthwhile. It's got weaker 3D animation than the movies and even those 30 minutes specials they've done because duh, but even then it's just generic troublemaker kids get ancient powers and Po has to teach them because new bad guy wants that power. And this may be animal racism but the pandas look too much alike you don't have the buffer of the different kung-fu masters making people stand-out, it's just 75% pandas and rats this time around, even with their various clothing to distinguish themselves. Add to it the kid pandas are already just the generic Microsoft Paperclip character templates seen for forever and they couldn't even switch them around in a different manner and there's just nothing here, after two episodes I'm calling the time.

wait, is this a new one or a re-packaging of the old one?

• Options
    I didn't even know there was another series until I looked it up to confirm, but this new one on Amazon is a sequel to the Nickelodeon series from a few years ago.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think your enjoyment of Buster Scruggs depends entirely upon your opinion of didactic writing

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

That's wrong, isn't it?
    The prostitute and Liam Neeson talk in a bedroom, Liam Neeson goes around asking for money from people watching some performances, and the counting chicken guy isn't on a stage. Right?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I think the actual theme of Buster Scruggs isn't an uncaring universe, its death. Every story involves death in some way. Especially the horse carriage driver that doesn't stop, ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think the actual theme of Buster Scruggs isn't an uncaring universe, its death. Every story involves death in some way. Especially the horse carriage driver that doesn't stop, ever.

Death is a major theme as well, this is true. Most of them tie into that, with the exception of maybe All Gold Mountain. I kind of feel like Death and the idea of an uncaring universe sort of go together though. They’re both major elements that pull everything together.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The first episode of Bodyguard was so tense I stayed you too way late immediately watching the next two. Haven't felt the need to go back to so far because the second episode plot point rubbed me really wrong
    I hate the love story between him and the home secretary. Between the retaliation for the train, his PTSD, distaste for his protectee, and his former comrade running a terrorist cell there was plenty of tension to be mined. Them sleeping together feels so damn hacky and perfunctory.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The biggest theme I picked up on in Buster Scruggs is the commercial obliteration of art

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Of all the game shows I would want to rewatch for some reason Jeopardy is not one of them, which is weird, because I'll watch a live Jeopardy.

But gimme some Wheel of Fortune or Family Feud or Match game reruns and I am there all day, can't figure out why Jeopardy not one I can rewatch.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Oh man, I loved Hidden Temple. And Double Dare.

Nickelodeon had some fun game shows.

Don't forget GUTS!

Moira Quirk's accent was one of my first true loves.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Is Schitt's Creek on non-Canadian Netflix? if so give it a shot, just a fun charming little Canadian sitcom, (Mini SCTV reunion too, as two of the main cast are Eugene Levy and Catherine O Hara)

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Should check out Letterkenny, too!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Should check out Letterkenny, too!

Letterkenny nailed that area too well, I had a few years in that area and they were rough and so while not letterkenny's fault, it's just too much of a reminder of crappy stuff when I watch that show ( wish could break it cause show is good)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Of all the game shows I would want to rewatch for some reason Jeopardy is not one of them, which is weird, because I'll watch a live Jeopardy.

But gimme some Wheel of Fortune or Family Feud or Match game reruns and I am there all day, can't figure out why Jeopardy not one I can rewatch.

Family Feud on Hulu is my wife's and my go-to if we want to kill twenty minutes and don't have anything better to watch. The Steve Harvey flavor is just so amazingly determined to be edgy, and it results in things like a survey question of "What's something that grandpa likes to hold in his hand while he's watching TV?" and then someone says "HIS PENIS, STEVE" because of course they do, and the answer is up there because of course it is, except it shows up as "HIS THROBBING POCKET SNAKE" and the whole thing is gloriously stupid.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Family Feud on Hulu is my wife's and my go-to if we want to kill twenty minutes and don't have anything better to watch. The Steve Harvey flavor is just so amazingly determined to be edgy, and it results in things like a survey question of "What's something that grandpa likes to hold in his hand while he's watching TV?" and then someone says "HIS PENIS, STEVE" because of course they do, and the answer is up there because of course it is, except it shows up as "HIS THROBBING POCKET SNAKE" and the whole thing is gloriously stupid.

Still doesn't match that 70's Newlywed Game classic:

"Where's the strangest place you and your wife have ever made whoopie?"

"That'd be the butt, Bob"

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Death is a major theme as well, this is true. Most of them tie into that, with the exception of maybe All Gold Mountain. I kind of feel like Death and the idea of an uncaring universe sort of go together though. They’re both major elements that pull everything together.

The old pan handler? Death is very much in that one, I think that's my favourite short because it turns it on its head, (and I better spoiler this part)
    its not the old man who meets their demise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The old pan handler? Death is very much in that one, I think that's my favourite short because it turns it on its head, (and I better spoiler this part)

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Anyone watch that Christmas movie qith Kurt Russell? I thought the trailer looked decent enough for a new Christmas movie to watch.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Carpy wrote: »
    The first episode of Bodyguard was so tense I stayed you too way late immediately watching the next two. Haven't felt the need to go back to so far because the second episode plot point rubbed me really wrong
    I hate the love story between him and the home secretary. Between the retaliation for the train, his PTSD, distaste for his protectee, and his former comrade running a terrorist cell there was plenty of tension to be mined. Them sleeping together feels so damn hacky and perfunctory.

@Carpy you should watch the rest.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Any word on when the second half of the season shows up? I’m only seeing 6 episodes.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Any word on when the second half of the season shows up? I’m only seeing 6 episodes.

There is only six. That’s kinda the norm for dramas like this in the UK.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I know but I am compelled to make that dumb joke every time

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Finished Sabrina. Binge watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it. In many ways it reminds me of the best seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only darker and more explicitly violent: clever, funny, touching and thoroughly entertaining. The main cast is awesome, and I love how much character development they managed to include in the season. Everyone (Sabrina's family, her friends, the Weird Sisters) gets quite a bit of story even though the season is only 10 episodes long. Miranda Otto is clearly having a ton of fun playing Zelda, although I must say Hilda still ended up being the favorite Aunt for me. I love the kind of low key comedy the actress brings into the character, often with body language and expressions alone.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The kids and I binged She-Ra and really enjoyed it. I then showed them the first episode of He-Man and listened to them crack up over the animation ("Why does everyone have an expressionless face?") and the moral of the story at the end.

The youngest did like "Skull Dude".

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the "The Final Table" show on Netflix. Kinda like a mix of Master Chef and Top Chef with a lot of the Master Chef BS cut out.

So essentially a Master Chef clone trying a bit harder not to be just a silly reality show.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    The kids and I binged She-Ra and really enjoyed it. I then showed them the first episode of He-Man and listened to them crack up over the animation ("Why does everyone have an expressionless face?") and the moral of the story at the end.

The youngest did like "Skull Dude".

Everyone likes "skull dude"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhLn76kCv0

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Yes, it’s in it, but I wouldn’t say death in itself is a main theme in that one. It’s much more about how humans tend to come in and impact the natural world, and often not for the better. And ultimately, that we’ll fade away and nature will continue on its merry way without us.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Syfy is the most mismanaged streaming portal I've ever used.

Episodes for seasons are inexplicably missing. Some have the first three, some the last four, and some just miss one in the middle.

It's just baffling.

Then out of no where they force you to watch six goddamn ads in a row.

This is why pirating is on the upswing again. I have a cable television subscription, I have your app, let me watch your shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The Christmas Chronicles is good. Surprisingly good. Snake Pliskin owns it and really seems to embrace the role. Has a nice Home Alone and Santa Clause vibe to it in being sincere but not super sappy (it is produced by Chris Columbus). Some weak greenscreen with the sleds and some car scenes and the elves but the reindeer are well done and the kids aren't annoying actors. Maybe annoying script in the beginning with them to set up the strained family relationship but it all gels well.

Classy movie with sincerity and no shitty improv referential ADD humor. Makes me think of the before time, the long long ago.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Castlevania Season 2: randomly extremely funny and irreverent, randomly maudlin and emo

The powerful, mysterious, and cunning woman vampire general is uguu~

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Castlevania Season 2: randomly extremely funny and irreverent, randomly maudlin and emo

The powerful, mysterious, and cunning woman vampire general is uguu~

The Castlevania series is pretty fucking great. The finale is such a great gut punch, too.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It didn’t have a lot of action but what action there was is so damn good

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Kurt Russell as Santa Claus..... I don't know if I can handle this.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm already in love with the absurdity of Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

PAN SHOT

This discussion has been closed.