Options

The [Movie] Thread needs a reboot

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Azkaban will always be my favorite. The later films are good, but they feel safe. Azkaban took risks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There was an 80s sci-fi movie about a man who discovered he was actually a Terminator robot as he was hurt. Broke a leg and the leg turned out to be a robotic leg. The movie ended with him surviving a stroll in a gas chamber, going full robot. What movie was this?

One of the Cyborg movies maybe?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh man, some awful looking movie trailer popped up on Netflix. Step Sisters or some other straight from the year 2000 garbage. It appears to be about a black student who has to help a white sorority win a charity step competition (dancing?) so she can get in to Harvard. It appears the have the expected "you flat bootied white girls can't dance!" stuff, and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they defeat her old step team at the end and become friends through the power of dance.

@TexiKen are you going to watch this? I feel like you watch these things so we don't have to.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh man, some awful looking movie trailer popped up on Netflix. Step Sisters or some other straight from the year 2000 garbage. It appears to be about a black student who has to help a white sorority win a charity step competition (dancing?) so she can get in to Harvard. It appears the have the expected "you flat bootied white girls can't dance!" stuff, and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they defeat her old step team at the end and become friends through the power of dance.

@TexiKen are you going to watch this? I feel like you watch these things so we don't have to.

I think there's a whole series of those movies.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Something else from that which I thought was very funny. While Hauer does a bit of slight of hand to disguise flipping the the cigar the intent of the scene is that he puts the lit end into the guy’s mouth. (Complete with “putting out cigar sound effect). The guy just fucking smokes it anyway and Hauer is suitably confused

The hiss effect happens at least twice before Hauer gives him the cigar, so I'm not sure that's not just a background noise that happens to line up.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There was an 80s sci-fi movie about a man who discovered he was actually a Terminator robot as he was hurt. Broke a leg and the leg turned out to be a robotic leg. The movie ended with him surviving a stroll in a gas chamber, going full robot. What movie was this?

One of the Cyborg movies maybe?

No, it was set in modern times. Modern being the 80s.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Did you know Willow is not on any streaming services

For shame

Yes, it's shame it's still on DVD. Streaming services are doing their part already.

The disc is worth tracking down, Warwick Davis provides a great commentary track on it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    It looks like the conversation has moved on, but to say one last thing about the HP movies, often my enjoyment of adaptation films is based mostly on how well they adhere to my expectations. And I know that you have to make sacrifices to condense the novel or TV or video game or whatever format to the silver screen, but there are still core elements that I expect. For HP, the books I think set up a great relationship between Harry, Ron, and Hermione were they’re somewhat dependent on one another. Specifically Hermione is super competent but scared to buck authority or act independently. In the movies she doesn’t have this flaw and imo it strains the relationship. Like, why does she hang around those other two losers? That’s what soured me on the series. I’m sure I had other qualms as well, but that’s what has stuck with me in the 13 years since I saw it.

Now if it wasn’t Harry Potter and instead some independent work I’d probably judge it differently. But as it was I was looking for the movies to provide the same experience in a different format. That might be an unreasonable prejudice to carry on my part, but those are my feelings on the matter.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I actually just re watched all the HP movies. Except for the last 2. I just didn't care for those.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'm an outlier because I liked them all. Not as much as the books but enough to watch them occasionally.
    Watching them again with a 6 year old just getting into reading is a treat.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I saw that and laughed and laughed at how they must have found a script for like 5 bucks in garage sale fo someone who didn’t make it in Hollywood.

I would only watch it if they stomp, clap, stomp stomp clap the Birds of War entrance song

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Watching the bye bye man primarily due to the recommendation of RLM

https://youtu.be/K1m3rGh6DUI

Biggest wtf so far: who the hell takes a 5-year old to a college drinking party?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod

Biggest wtf so far: who the hell takes a 5-year old to a college drinking party?

They needed a designated driver.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

They needed a designated driver.

Fortunately it was the only plot hole in the movie. Just a tour de force from start till end. What an amazing piece of cinema

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Darkest Hour was bloody fantastic. Honestly I kind of hadn't expected that. Even if someone else, even someone else rather less talented, had played Churchill, it still would have been really good; but with Gary Oldman in transcendent form, it's so awesome it's actually surprising.

It focuses on Churchill's first three weeks or so as Prime Minister, in May of 1940. Neville Chamberlain has lost the confidence of Parliament, as the Nazis steamroller their way across Western Europe, and opposition leader Clement Attlee proposes a grand coalition of the UK's political parties, the country uniting to counter the Nazi threat rapidly approaching. The only leader the opposition can get behind is Winston Churchill. In those weeks, France, Belgium and Holland all fall to Hitler's forces, Chamberlain and others still want to come to a diplomatic solution with the Third Reich, and the entirety of the British Army is cornered on the French coast, at a place called Dunkirk. You may have heard of it.

It's fortuitous that this movie should arrive a few months after Dunkirk, as it provides a completely different perspective on that event and especially the lead up to it, and I think having seen Nolan's film first enhances this one.

Oldman is absolutely the central focus, and he gives us many facets of Churchill; not just the famous bloody-mindedness or sometimes caustic nature but, at the behest of his wife Clemmy (the always terrific Kristin Scott Thomas), a warmth and a kindness that even seems to surprise him. There's even some very light touches of levity, just enough to show a little light, glimmers of hope in amongst the deadly grave proceedings. King George VI (a remarkable turn from Ben "Director Krennic" Mendelsohn) is initially reluctant and unconvinced by Churchill, but eventually comes around too; their scenes together are some of the film's best.

And when finally the most famous of speeches rolls around, you can't help but hold your breath.

Oldman will get the lion's share of the plaudits, and deserves that long-awaited Oscar - this is a performance that is magnificent even by his lofty standards - but the rest of the movie deserves to be up for a bunch of nods as well.

It really is a fantastic film.

Jazz on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I feel like I need to see that just to get the trainwreck of John Lithgow as Churchill out of my mind.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to see that just to get the trainwreck of John Lithgow as Churchill out of my mind.

I always briefly confuse John Lithgow for John Lovitz whenever I see their names, I dunno why... It was quite shocking to think of Lovitz playing Churchill. Lithgow I imagine isn't much better, but probably better than Lovitz.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Tonight I think is a sad movie night. I've got 5cm per Second, Garden of Words, The Wind Rises, and then I'll take recommendations on Netflix or Amazon. For some reason I can't find my go to Grave of the Fireflies, which is probably for the best.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tonight I think is a sad movie night. I've got 5cm per Second, Garden of Words, The Wind Rises, and then I'll take recommendations on Netflix or Amazon. For some reason I can't find my go to Grave of the Fireflies, which is probably for the best.

Wow, watching two Makoto Shinkai films back-to-back would be more than enough for most people...

If you haven't seen it, watch The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness on Netflix. Maybe before The Wind Rises? Maybe afterward?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

The Illusionist (the animated one)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Was he bad?

• Options
    I didn't realize 5cm/s was so short... it's only 63 min... or 18.9 km total. I think that's to its detriment, I didn't really feel connected enough with any of the characters to feel any sense of loss. While the pangs of unrequited love can be sharp, I think as we age we gradually realize that there are too many real tragedies in life to worry over what might have been. I think I'll skip straight to The Wind Rises and save Garden of Words for another night.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Saw Logan Lucky over the weekend. It was good. Like, 9/10 good. I feel it has issues with pacing.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Was he bad?

So fucking awful. Like, he rendered every scene he was in nearly unwatchable because he was just so distractingly awful.

And he got nominated for a goddamn Golden Globe for that role.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. The Wind Rises BluRay broke at 53:30. It freezes and won't play past it, even when I try the chapter select. This is awful, I'm not sad at all. Sad movie night has been ruined. I'm going to go laugh myself to sleep I guess.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

The Illusionist (the animated one)
    The live action one is sad...ly mediocre!

Anyway my recommendation is Wolf Children

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I watched Wolf Children with my mom and siblings over the holidays. I tear up from the ending song lyrics. Every time.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Was he bad?

So fucking awful. Like, he rendered every scene he was in nearly unwatchable because he was just so distractingly awful.

Is it possible that Winston Churchill may have been unwatchable in real life, and Lithgow was really good at portraying him?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Was he bad?

Is it possible that Winston Churchill may have been unwatchable in real life, and Lithgow was really good at portraying him?

I don't think Lithgow can actually play someone as unwatchable if he's actually trying to.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Was he bad?

He was kind of a dick in real life, but I've heard radio broadcasts of him, and he was a great speaker

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You know what everyone should watch? Ichi the Killer. It's a rollicking good time by famed children's movie director Takashi Miike. He makes good wholesome movies fit for the whole family.

NSFW trailer. Seriously NSFW.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You might want to put that behind a spoiler if that screencap is what I think it is.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's any doubt about what that is.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    No more drugs for that man.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Den of Thieves was actually a really good movie, filled with clichés but they address them head on and then switch up some other parts with decent deadpan humor. It never tries to think it's something more than a crime thriller, it's just told really well. Comparisons to Heat seem off, it gives off much more of a Dark Blue, Triple 9 and The Town vibe, even some Sicario-ness. If the barometer for comparisons is just touching on light scenes like a bank robbery and protagonist/antagonist face-offs, then yeah, but it pulls from a lot of places that would spoil the film were I to write them.

Some ex-marines and college jocks rob an armored truck just for the truck, killing the guards due to one of them being jittery. The LA Sheriff squad dealing with special cases look into it, consisting of Mike Banning whose personal life is falling apart. He puts the heat on Ice Cube Jr. who is working with the robbers in order to get information about what they have planned, which is to rob the LA Federal Reserve and take 30 milly of money that is to be destroyed. Ptew ptews, FBI trying to harass the Sheriffs, the Sheriffs harassing the LAPD, tats and beards everywhere.

The setup for the robbery is done well and the actual robbery is very well done, relying on tension and not guns outside of three set pieces. That's sort of the quiet theme here, no one is really looking to make it go-time, but when it does, it goes indeed. Butler's solid as the lead cop, letting the hints of corruption exist without actually showing it because it's more apparent he's letting the carte blanche of his unit destroy everything not related to the case. The real standouts are Pablo Schrieber and O'Shea Jackson; the former showing that like in 13 Hours he's really good at being believable ex-soldier supporting actor material who knows when his chain is being yanked by Butler, and the latter being the rare instance where his built-in Hollywood Nepotism (TM) doesn't seem to be that much in play, he does have talent and a aura of believability of being this guy getting in over his head without thinking he has to be the center of attention in every scene like his dad does. The film's biggest fault is being 2 hours when it could have been 15 minutes less simply by removing some outside scenes showing the personal lives of Butler, Schreiber, and Curtis James Jackson III; in the grand scheme any characterization it provides doesn't build on anything with real payoff.

In all, if you like crime/thriller movies this is a good one worth a look, especially for an on-demand rental. This, Paddington 2, and Polka King have made January 2018 3/3 so pound sand May, thinking you're all that with "blockbusters," moer like crockbusters.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Capt Howdy Put that video with the gross preview image behind spoilers, please.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Was he bad?

He was kind of a dick in real life, but I've heard radio broadcasts of him, and he was a great speaker

"Kind of a dick" doesn't do him justice. He was an absolute, grade-A bastard. The Bengal famine alone...

Anyway, movies.

Watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Really excellent - made me think of Moonrise Kingdom, but better.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Apparently Ryan Reynolds is trying to remake Clue.

I do not approve.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Apparently Ryan Reynolds is trying to remake Clue.

I do not approve.

Maybe if he has clones of 80s era Tim Curry and Christopher Lloyd

• Options
    It's not like the original is perfect. There are a bunch of jokes that don't land, it's slow to get going, Mr Body's ADR work is somewhat shoddy and obvious, etc. But still.

I can imagine it now. Tina Fey is Mrs White and does a 'funny' accent, Will Ferrell is Professor Plum and improvises half his lines, there's a James Franco cameo, etc.

This discussion has been closed.