As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Ok, so I thought I was done with my shopping but then I saw 8GB 2666 Corsair Vengeance modules for $55?? Which is less than half their normal price?????
    Anyway I bought two.

Mayday on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So, since my new motherboard and CPU cooler have fancy LEDs, I ordered a windowed side panel for my case. It'll be here in a few days. How else would I know if I'm on blue, red, or purple speed settings??

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    So the girlfriend noticed an unusual rise in our electrical consumption in the house, I've done some half-arsed research into the dates/costs being reported by our hydro company and there's a distinct correlation to the dates I finished building the new computer.

We've seen an average daily increase of 7-10kW/h even on days when we are not home for anything but an hour or two in the morning/bed time (This is about a 50%-75% rise over average or about $40 per month). No computer usage, no TV usage, minimal lighting in the house turned on, gas heating. I'm going to test unplugging the computer for a day to see what it does but it strikes me as odd as I never let the thing go to sleep and I always turn it off completely after use.

There's still the chance it's something else in the house but the fact that our consumption doubled the day I first plugged the thing in after building just seems a little too coincidental.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $40 a month is a huge jump in usage. That's more than running 500 watt light bulbs 24/7 I suspect.

That's something I'd expect an electric water heater would dump out.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Which could also mean the MB is mis-reporting. Or, even reporting correctly.

Motherboards don't report CPU temps, the CPU's themselves do, using TJunction values. It's a sensor on the CPU, accessed via a CPU instruction.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    So the girlfriend noticed an unusual rise in our electrical consumption in the house, I've done some half-arsed research into the dates/costs being reported by our hydro company and there's a distinct correlation to the dates I finished building the new computer.

We've seen an average daily increase of 7-10kW/h even on days when we are not home for anything but an hour or two in the morning/bed time (This is about a 50%-75% rise over average or about $40 per month). No computer usage, no TV usage, minimal lighting in the house turned on, gas heating. I'm going to test unplugging the computer for a day to see what it does but it strikes me as odd as I never let the thing go to sleep and I always turn it off completely after use.

There's still the chance it's something else in the house but the fact that our consumption doubled the day I first plugged the thing in after building just seems a little too coincidental.

might wanna invest in a Kill-A-Watt or similar

• Options
    Also, are you sure it isn't just a price increase? Or a "it's colder this year than last year" type increase?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

That's a really good suggestion, I'm placing the order now
    bowen wrote: »
    Also, are you sure it isn't just a price increase? Or a "it's colder this year than last year" type increase?
    My first thought is always heating but our house is warmed through a natural gas furnace and hot water heater. We dry our clothes by hang drying in a room that is warmed through the furnace vents versus using the dryer. I doubt it's the computer really as it just seems too unlikely for it to draw so much power. I'll use the Kill-A-Watt meter to scout around and see what I can find out in my house. I'm confident it's not just a price increase cause I base my estimates on the KWH not on the price being paid. Ever since we booted our roomate out in May we average 30% less usage per month versus prior year but suddenly in November we're actually higher than last year.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

My first thought is always heating but our house is warmed through a natural gas furnace and hot water heater. We dry our clothes by hang drying in a room that is warmed through the furnace vents versus using the dryer. I doubt it's the computer really as it just seems too unlikely for it to draw so much power. I'll use the Kill-A-Watt meter to scout around and see what I can find out in my house. I'm confident it's not just a price increase cause I base my estimates on the KWH not on the price being paid. Ever since we booted our roomate out in May we average 30% less usage per month versus prior year but suddenly in November we're actually higher than last year.

Any external outlets or shed style things where something fishy might happen?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Did you install red LEDs in your computer, @Varinn?

• Options
    edited December 2017

Any external outlets or shed style things where something fishy might happen?

Another idea: Are they using estimated readings? (which are based on average usage over the past few years)

bowen on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Ok, so I thought I was done with my shopping but then I saw 8GB 2666 Corsair Vengeance modules for $55?? Which is less than half their normal price?????
    Anyway I bought two.

Are you sure it's DDR4 and not DDR3?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    One of the three of us in our apartment left the refrigerator door open a crack and it pulled so much power running constantly to keep temperature that I got an alert from the power company that my bills was projected to be double the usual.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Anyway I bought two.

Are you sure it's DDR4 and not DDR3?

Says so both in the title, description and on the photo.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Anybody have some fast and dirty recommendations on a 1440p monitor? I'm pretty out of the loop and my younger cousin who clearly has more money than me and I'm not bitter wants to buys something for around $400-600 CAD.

He linked me this Viotek GN32Q and I was all like, who in their right fucking mind advertises "w/ Crosshairs Functionality ". Like, secondary cross hairs. Why in the fuck would anyone want that? Chinese bullshit monitor was my first thoughts.

Anyways, who has some good recommendations?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    crosshair functionality is so you can play games and use weapons without crosshairs, like, arma or the awp in counterstrike

• Options
    The "venerable" Dell S2716DG is a solid TN panel that punches above its weight. Dell's IPS offerings are also well made. The ROG Swift (don't remember model) is also highly regarded, as well as the Acer Predator XB271HU.

Those are all G-Sync panels. If he doesn't need G-Sync, the price drops significantly.

Generally, Asus ROG, Acer Predator, and Dell will provide the best options. I'm speculating, but I believe all three use the same or similar panels for the same technology (IPS, TN)

• Options
    crosshair functionality is so you can play games and use weapons without crosshairs, like, arma or the awp in counterstrike

Oh, well that makes some sense, though I feel like that's cheating. Neither here nor there though, it's interesting to hear an actual use case for that.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Oh, well that makes some sense, though I feel like that's cheating. Neither here nor there though, it's interesting to hear an actual use case for that.

It's a teeny bit sus as an advertised feature, but then again you can accomplish the same exact same thing with a piece of tape and marker with any monitor in the world, so it's really a non issue.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    As the pioneer user of the Dell S2716DG on this forum, I can say that I highly recommend it. You can definitely pick it up for that price range, especially if you wait around for sales (I think it was down to 400 USD on Black Friday) and it's great.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Or maybe those games should just give you a crosshair...

@Varinn You might want to give your power company a call. I had something similar that happened to me 5 or 10 years ago, the power company actually sent someone out to try to track down what was causing the increase (it was my central air malfunctioning).

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Oh god my new PC is so fucking big.
    jaFQbQ2l.jpg

Old PC on the right

Karl on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Rainbow 6: Siege on Ultra is very very good looking

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Or maybe those games should just give you a crosshair...

@ Varinn You might want to give your power company a call. I had something similar that happened to me 5 or 10 years ago, the power company actually sent someone out to try to track down what was causing the increase (it was my central air malfunctioning).

Most games do, some are settings because the sniper has a scope and they don't want you just noscoping shit.

So it's like a gray-area cheating wise.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Meh. IRL it's easier to shoot a scoped rifle at something close to you without using the scope so...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Meh. IRL it's easier to shoot a scoped rifle at something close to you without using the scope so...

IRL any of those rifles are very hard to shoot without a proper braced position. You're not gonna hit shit firing from the hip with a .30-06 or .223 hunting rifle, let alone one of the proper big snipers the military uses.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Reminds me of a picture I saw on imgur of a guy who taped and mounted a magnifying glass over his monitor in the center to help aim in overwatch.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    This is a question I feel I should know the answer to, but alas.

I have kind of an odd setup for my system - a 120 SSDGb for Windows and a couple of applications, a 500Gb SSD for steam most other applications, and a 1TB HDD for user folders/data. The 500Gb SSD is reaching capacity with the amount of games productivity software installed on it. Is there a way I can clone what's on there right now to a larger SSD and just swap that in, or would I basically just need to do a full reinstall?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    If it's not a system drive you could probably copy stuff over and have it work, although weirder filesystem stuff won't necessarily transfer over which may or may not break things depending on how weird your application is. (Steam in general doesn't give a fuck as long as it has write perms to its own program directory.)

To be safer though, you can use any number of disk cloning tools (CloneZilla, etc.) to clone the disk and extend the partition, and then mount it with the same drive letter, and Windows will be none the wiser.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if your 500GB SSD is literally just steam, you can just copy and paste.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Why not use steammover to move games you aren't playing to the 1TB drive?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    This is a question I feel I should know the answer to, but alas.

I have kind of an odd setup for my system - a 120 SSDGb for Windows and a couple of applications, a 500Gb SSD for steam most other applications, and a 1TB HDD for user folders/data. The 500Gb SSD is reaching capacity with the amount of games productivity software installed on it. Is there a way I can clone what's on there right now to a larger SSD and just swap that in, or would I basically just need to do a full reinstall?

I'm going to reiterate that Samsung's Disc Migration software is the absolute tits. I'm looking like an IT god over here because I installed some 250GB drives into our aging desktops at work, boss is sure that I spent more than $100 on a drive. He'll be mighty disappointed in another 5 years when I can't make the same massive upgrade for less than a grand though.

If you're buying a larger SSD, seriously consider going with a Samsung, specifically because of their track record and bundled cloning software. It's the best.

• Options
    I need to be able to Agree and Awesome that post.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Why not use steammover to move games you aren't playing to the 1TB drive?

Steam has this built in now, just in case anyone doesn't know. Though you can't batch move stuff like with Steam Mover (I think SM will do that, never actually tried).

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So, one of my hard drives seems like it has failed.

Short version of the story is:

It's a standard WD SATA 7200rpm thingy
    No hardware or software changes recently
    I went to open a file on it and then explorer froze up for a few minutes
    After restarting the disk is missing from the OS

My ideas:
    I'm not certain if the BIOS sees it yet -- I'll check that tonight.
    I'll switch cables with the other working drive and see what that does.

It's not a huge deal, nothing very important was on it, just old media files. And the drive is coming up on eight years old.

I don't have a second system handy, but is there anything else I should check before pulling it out and giving up?

• Options
    If you can still get into it sporadically, or if you want to just pull off some stuff that would otherwise be tedious to find, you can toss the drive in the freezer for about 10-15 mins and that should help.

Did you happen to hear it clicking at all prior to it not showing up?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    if your 500GB SSD is literally just steam, you can just copy and paste.

I was joking, it’s not _just_ Steam, though that does take up the majority of the space. Creative Cloud is on there, among other things.

I didn’t think about shuffling games onto the data drive, @ArcSyn. Probably a better idea than buying a new drive for this.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If you can still get into it sporadically, or if you want to just pull off some stuff that would otherwise be tedious to find, you can toss the drive in the freezer for about 10-15 mins and that should help.

Did you happen to hear it clicking at all prior to it not showing up?

I haven’t seen it since that restart.

Maybe. There was some sort of noise that could have been hard drive coming out of the case about fifteen minutes prior, but I was mid dota so I didn’t look at the time.

• Options
    Eh, had it been the click of death, I'm sure you'd have noticed.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Eh, had it been the click of death, I'm sure you'd have noticed.

yea, the sound is super noticeable.

https://youtu.be/gk8ESxCZfpU

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.