Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Good luck my bostonian friends, looks like you folks over in NE are going to get smashed, furthest east it might come is Albany. Though Central NY is getting hit with a separate but less powerful lake effect hit on late thursday and friday at the same time.

Fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't believe aside from cold, my town won't get anything

we get snow all the time and usually more than anywhere else east of the mountains

weird weather going on here

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I can't believe aside from cold, my town won't get anything

we get snow all the time and usually more than anywhere else east of the mountains

weird weather going on here

The jet stream is F U C K E D

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Going skating with my girl and some of her friends from university later in the park, there's a very picturesque light dusting of snow coming down

I still love winter, sorry y'all

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Boston in the winter is a wonderful place to train your balance. When you walk confidently on glare ice sidewalks in leather soled shoes or heels, you know you've made it

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Boston in the winter is a wonderful place to train your balance. When you walk confidently on glare ice sidewalks in leather soled shoes or heels, you know you've made it

Just get a good running start on some non icy area and slide the rest of the way to work.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It's super weird hearing about this insane cold slamming everybody else, while Utah is having a worryingly mild winter. It's stayed pretty consistently below freezing compared to last year's bizarre warm winter, but the amount of snow on the mountains is about what we'd expect after the first little chill in October. Tourism is way down because the ski areas are so crappy looking, and it's going to be hard times for all the agriculture further south in the valley when the rivers are barely trickling in the spring. If we could steal your blizzards from you somehow, we would.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I attribute my excellent balance to growing up in Massachusetts

Also, it feels practically warm outside today at a balmy 27F

Almost makes me forget I'm about to get buried

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    2jiqerurn5vs.png

You don't say.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm so sick of this fucking cold already.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Good luck my bostonian friends, looks like you folks over in NE are going to get smashed, furthest east it might come is Albany. Though Central NY is getting hit with a separate but less powerful lake effect hit on late thursday and friday at the same time.

Fun.

yeah I live in central MA and its looking like snowmageddon

I have a 5 min drive to work but it'll probably still be safer to just walk my ass down there

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    my hot water stopped working last night.

My cold water is still running fine....

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    It's super weird hearing about this insane cold slamming everybody else, while Utah is having a worryingly mild winter. It's stayed pretty consistently below freezing compared to last year's bizarre warm winter, but the amount of snow on the mountains is about what we'd expect after the first little chill in October. Tourism is way down because the ski areas are so crappy looking, and it's going to be hard times for all the agriculture further south in the valley when the rivers are barely trickling in the spring. If we could steal your blizzards from you somehow, we would.

Yeah, I'm going on a ski trip to Utah for the first time in years and I was looking at the maps today and like, 3 quarters of the mountain are closed. Trip isn't until late February so things should be better but still surprising that we have better snow out here (Not actually better snow, huge difference between skiing on powder and skiing on the ice that we get).

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    my hot water stopped working last night.

My cold water is still running fine....

I had the same issue. Peeled back some fiberglass insulation to see that the builders apparently didn't think that the pipe with hot water running up the exterior wall needed an insulated sleeve, like the pipe next to it that carries the cold water.

Only took a couple minutes blow drying my pipes to fix, fortunately.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One thing about living in Minnesota is that your house is fucking ready for the extreme cold because we get it every year.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    A hot water pipe in a small crawlspace froze, and I have a heater in there. If it doesn't unfreeze by morning I need to crawl under there and blow-dry it. Not looking forward to that.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Fun.

yeah I live in central MA and its looking like snowmageddon

I have a 5 min drive to work but it'll probably still be safer to just walk my ass down there

I'm in NH and we got a mass notice that was basically "bring your damn laptop home because we're probably not opening the offices tomorrow".
    VPN will be a shit show given we have like 15k+ employees in the area.

• Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    Ottawa's been nice and mild for the last couple of days, with temperatures hovering in the single digits. It's supposed to snow and hit close to -30 on saturday which is not gonna be fun at all. Hopefully they keep the skating rink open.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    My company's going work from home tomorrow, which almost certainly means this snowstorm will not turn out as bad as expected so we underestimate the next one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I live right around the edge of where the storm is gonna hit the hardest, blech

At least next week the temperature's gonna warm up to the upper 20s and 30s, so that's gonna feel nice!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    seriously y'all that are getting hit by this storm, stay safe and indoors

don't risk your life to get to work

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    my hot water is running again.

But my closet has a weird wet spot in the ceiling near the water heater.

So I guess it needs looked at...

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I'm on my couch holding a giant mug of coffee and watching people try to drive in this mess. The weather sites low balled the snow for our area, so a lot of people are out and about. Just watched an SUV cut off someone while writing this post. ^.^

• Options
    Looks like it's making slower progress than they anticipated, but it's supposed to hit later today and possibly have blizzard conditions?

It also looks like it's going to hit almost all of NY too now, instead of just "barely past albany"

Time to get some milk and bread!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Apparently our estimate was upped to 12 to 18 inches where I am

Fun!

Maddoc on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wind's just picked up here so I'm watching the snow fly horizontally past this coffee shop window.

I guess I live here now. But they have good bagels, so no need to mourn me.

• Options
    how many bagels can they make per hour, this is important to your survival to know this

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We got like two or three inches here and the schools all closed and my staff are all trying to call out and I'm just like guys

guys

I drove here, the roads are dry, everything is fine. Geez.

• Options
    school closed here

for .... something? It didn't snow.

• Options
    school closed here

Cold maybe? They close school for cold here more than snow.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Wind's just picked up here so I'm watching the snow fly horizontally past this coffee shop window.

Important question

@Tynic do they have any booze?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Important question

... I'll check
    ... shit I don't think so

but there's a pub on either side and one across the road so as long as I can struggle a few feet I might make it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    school closed here

That happens even in New England during the rare bitter-cold-but-dry winters we get.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    We got like an inch here, but they didn't pre-salt the roads at all, so all the roads are covered and slushy and they still haven't plowed anything, so I'm working from home today. Woo!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    school closed here

huh, I didn't know that was a thing

I guess it was around -7 with the wind here today

• Options

Important question

... I'll check
    ... shit I don't think so

but there's a pub on either side and one across the road so as long as I can struggle a few feet I might make it

It's customary for all pubs to have emergency st Bernard's around to deliver little barrels of booze to the needy and alcoholic.

• Options
    I'd go out in this weather if it meant getting to see a St Bernard and also get booze

• Options
    I'd walk across burning coals if only to scratch a dog under its chin for a moment.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My in-laws told my wife that St. Bernards carried chicken soup in their barrels and she believed that well into her 20s, until I found out and laughed for two days straight and now she knows the truth.

• Options
    Chicken soup delivered by dog in a barrel collar.

Hmm okay I'm intrigued by this.