Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    There's was fog on the bottom floor of the parking garage at work when I left. It was kind of neat and kind of creepy.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah it was a weird experience to take my car out of the garage today and the entire outside of the car immediately fogged up.....and then in an attempt to warm the interior, I blasted the heat and rolled the windows down...and then the interior glass-covered panels all fogged up too! That was a first, hah.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    To this day, I have no idea what I should do with my car's climate control to prevent interior or exterior fogging. I can basically scrape ice off the outside, and after that it's all witchcraft.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    If anyone here is new to ice, or is old hand at ice and doesn't have any of these yet, I will strongly suggest buying these things:

5Ey6OHf.jpg

It just wraps around your shoes, and the metal bits are still only like 4-5 mm long.
    Wearing these, I could sprint down an entire street of black ice as comfortably as I would on a dry road in mid june.
    I have a pair I keep at home, and another I keep in my car. They're incredible for making sure you get through a winter without a sore butt.

You can also get ones like these
    41ZTP3klh2L.jpg
    for heels.

Dang where were these when I was a kid in Yellowknife, I used to wear golf shoes on the real icy days for their spikes.

Tho once got a bit older, I went with the least grip shoes I could, because you got everywhere WAY faster by shoesliding down the block heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    To this day, I have no idea what I should do with my car's climate control to prevent interior or exterior fogging. I can basically scrape ice off the outside, and after that it's all witchcraft.

Inside air OFF, A/C ON, temperature can be really anything gives me the most success.

• Options

Interior fog: open the windows (balances the humidity and temps between the outside and inside air), throw on your front defogger and back defogger. Outer fog: much harder to deal with, since your car is basically colder than the surrounding air. For me it helps to warm the car as much as possible (park it in the sun, put the hot air on, etc). I have to leave the windshield wipers on, too, because it will re-fog every few seconds.

The easiest way to remember is just to think what kind of temperature and humidity difference is occurring. All you need to do is balance the two between outside the car and inside the car, and you won't have any fog!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love spending my Friday nights at the airport. Fuck you, rain cancellations.

• Options
    If it helps at all, T.G.I. Friday's Express is very nearly as good as the real thing!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If it helps at all, T.G.I. Friday's Express is very nearly as good as the real thing!

That sounds terrible!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    As crappy as the ice is i was glad to have a day of rain - washed the caked on salt off my car

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jesus

So it took me almost an hour to go 2 miles, that's how bad the roads are here tonight.

So how y'all doing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It was 65-70 degrees today, so.

(b’.’)b

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Someone transported me to Pluto while I slept.

It's just ice everywhere. The air is ice.

• Options
    Don't forget to take a bucket of oxygen when you go out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to take a bucket of oxygen when you go out.

A Bucket of Air is so good.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Jesus

So it took me almost an hour to go 2 miles, that's how bad the roads are here tonight.

So how y'all doing?

glad you don't have to work today? @bowen

• Options
    fucking it's awful out @Trace

I went outside to get in my truck this morning

ICED SHUT

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    fucking it's awful out Trace

I went outside to get in my truck this morning

ICED SHUT

I woke up this morning to near a foot of snow on the road.

on 49

that doesn't happen around here very often.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I closed the store for the day.

This driveway was almost entirely clear pavement last night, and the garbage/recycling buckets had no snow on them:
    dqhUVof.jpg

Slightly visible, the 3 foot tall, 4 foot wide wall of snow that the city's snow clearers gifted me:
    NA5B7hU.jpg

I set out for about 5 minutes with the intention to go to work, but I found that the cleanest road still had ~1 foot high snow drifts randomly strewn about it, and because everything was bright white, your perspective was fucked in what part of the road you were actually driving on.

Just not safe to be out atm.

• Options
    I wondered if this was going to happen, but I think I was surprised at how quickly/thoroughly it did: there's almost no snow here anymore, at all, on any surface, and almost everything is completely dry. Apparently the warmth and the rain yesterday COMPLETELY obliterated the remaining snow piles. There was easily still 1.5 feet of snow on many surfaces, and when I went outside this morning it was all gone. The roads are completely dry and clear.

Guess we won't be having any ice disaster after all!

• Options
    I wondered if this was going to happen, but I think I was surprised at how quickly/thoroughly it did: there's almost no snow here anymore, at all, on any surface, and almost everything is completely dry. Apparently the warmth and the rain yesterday COMPLETELY obliterated the remaining snow piles. There was easily still 1.5 feet of snow on many surfaces, and when I went outside this morning it was all gone. The roads are completely dry and clear.

Hopefully not! But if you walk up to the whole foods you can marvel at the 20 foot puddle next to the gas station, that used to be a footpath.
    that one's probably gonna be an issue by Monday.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Except now it's getting fricken cold. It was so warm this morning I figured I'd take my kids out this afternoon. But we all just came running back in a moment ago because it dropped below freezing. Such is life in New England.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

Hopefully not! But if you walk up to the whole foods you can marvel at the 20 foot puddle next to the gas station, that used to be a footpath.
    that one's probably gonna be an issue by Monday.

Yeah that area definitely was wetter than others.

But hey, free ice skating!

• Options
    I hate all of you right now

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's zero here! That's an improvement!

• Options
    I hate all of you right now

post1__1282224093_1386.jpg

• Options
    The snow had all melted friday!

Then in the span of 45 minutes it dropped from 60 to 30!

Then it dumped a foot and a half of snow!

WHY

• Options
    Arctic front coming in behind the warm weather.

• Options
    I don't want it though

• Options
    Got about 4 inches today.

Snow blowed it.

That thing is FUCKING AWESOME.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Snow blowed it.

SNOWFUCKER 9000

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Snow blowed it.

SNOWFUCKER 9000

I FUCKED THAT SNOW!

FUCKED IT GOOD!

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Went skiing today for the first time in a few years and had an amazing time. Great day for it. Snow gets a lot of shit because of the shoveling and driving and general coldness, but giddamn can it still be fun.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I posted this in the car thread but my trailer park sucks at winter.

since before that storm blew through the other day we had two nearly 60f days the entire front road of the park to get out onto the proper city streets is turbo fucked.

The never plow or salt this time of year and never repair potholes or repave in the summer.

So now every time I go over the giant ice skating rink that is the front of the park I'm scared of hitting one of the brand new giant gouges in the pavement covered in slush and fucking up my tires or undercarriage.

• Options
    it hasn't snowed in 3 days at this point

but the roads are worse today than they were friday night during the massive snowstorm

what are you even doing plowtrucks/salters?

• Options

but the roads are worse today than they were friday night during the massive snowstorm

How cold is it there? Below a certain point salt doesn't even do anything.

• Options

It was low teens the other day.

They haven't even tried laying dirt on the roads as an alternative either, just solid layers of ice on the "non emergency routes".

• Options

It was low teens the other day.

They haven't even tried laying dirt on the roads as an alternative either, just solid layers of ice on the "non emergency routes".

Oh no salt should still work at that point, it's really negatives where it loses effectiveness. Yeesh.

• Options
    It was -4f this morning, but salt should theoretically still work at that point.

Theoretically road salt should have another 2-10 degrees F depending on which mixture they're using I think?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So from Friday evening until Saturday afternoon we had 36 cm of snow.

Apparently the old record for the same rough time frame was 13 cm in 1979.

Climate Change.