Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bourbon Barrel aged chicken soup

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think we've found the new disruptive killer app to beat out food trucks!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Oh shit nevermind, we wrote this all down on a napkin and mailed it to ourselves so you can't do it, I'm already on kickstarter and GoFundMe.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A dude just lay down on the (filthy, snow-melty) floor in front of the toilets, did a few shoulder stands, then left.
    I don't know what to think, now.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Oh shit nevermind, we wrote this all down on a napkin and mailed it to ourselves so you can't do it, I'm already on kickstarter and GoFundMe.

Joke's on you, St. Bernards as working delivery animals has existed as prior art for centuries, there's no IP position possible here but I'll be filing lawsuits once a week until you close your business.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'll give you 50k up front and a 10% cut of the merchandising to go away.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    A dude just lay down on the (filthy, snow-melty) floor in front of the toilets, did a few shoulder stands, then left.
    I don't know what to think, now.

Run

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    snow's here

I hope I don't get trapped at work that'd be unfortunate

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently nature is pre-freezing the seafood:
    We’ve all heard by now that the East Coast weather has coalesced into an alarming bomb of spitting, tormenting cold, but how are the sharks going to handle this? After all, the ocean’s getting hit pretty hard! Well, here’s one indication.

On Tuesday, the Cape Code Times reported that on New Year’s Eve a fourth frozen thresher shark was discovered in an “ice pack” (an area of floating ice, not the thing you keep in your freezer, I just learned) near Wellfleet, Massachusetts.

According to that report, some scientists say the thresher shark is relatively ill-equipped to generate heat (it’s threshold is water below 44 degrees for an extended period of time, but it’s called a “thresher” because its tail resembles a scythe).

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    It's unseasonably cold, yeah. We do usually have at least some stretches of really biting cold in winter but it's usually in late January/early-mid February, not December and early January. I'm sure critters are doubly confused after the unbelievably warm autumn, too.

• Options
    1 hour drive that normally takes me 15 minutes

nice

people don't seem to grasp the concept of traction, so, like, going up a steep hill means you need to have speed to do it, you can't just put up it at 10 mph and expect to keep going up

Hope you all made it home okay too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Got to work at 10am today. At 10:45, a manager came out and told us to call the people who were supposed to be in at 11:00am and tell them not to come since the road conditions were terrible. We didn't have enough staff on hand to handle all our inbound calls, so we closed the inbound call line and did outbound calls only with a staff of like, 14 instead of the 60 we normally have.

They let us go at 4 because the roads were going to start freezing over again, instead of just letting us go at 12:00 when the sun was out.

I. Hate. Snow. The bridge I drove in on didn't have the entrance lane plowed, so I had to jockey into place because the public transit buses weren't letting me in and my car was dangerously close to spinning out near a guard rail.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Ugh, nasty day today. I'm about 20 miles west of Boston and... I'm not sure how you get enormous snow drifts with snow this heavy. That took a couple of sucky hours to shovel out of. But, hey, my power came back when I was out there, so I have heat again. Hooray!

Although I'm out of places to throw snow and it looks like we'll never get temperatures that can melt snow ever again so... no more storms please?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Snow removal company wants $175 to clear our driveway (we did the walkway and cleared our cars ourselves). I don't really have $175 to be giving to people. Nice of them to wait until 8 in the evening to give us an estimate. I'm sure they expected us to just say okay because of how late it is.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Snow removal company wants $175 to clear our driveway (we did the walkway and cleared our cars ourselves). I don't really have $175 to be giving to people. Nice of them to wait until 8 in the evening to give us an estimate. I'm sure they expected us to just say okay because of how late it is.

Fuck that

You could buy a snowblower for a bit more

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    We found a place that will do it for cheaper, cheaper enough that we're okay with paying for it, anyway.

• Options
    I thought urchins were supposed to come around and offer to shovel snow for you for a fiver
    where are the urchins, dammit

• Options
    I thought urchins were supposed to come around and offer to shovel snow for you for a fiver

Too cold for urchins.

• Options

Too cold for urchins.

Plenty of water for them, though! It's a nice environment for any aquatic creature.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    so I went out to pick my buddy from work.

My right hand locked up in the cold and still aches though I've been inside for an hour or two.

At least the tremors went away...

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Life pro tip: put a tarp out before it starts snowing. When you want your driveway clear, drag the away the tarp, and the snow on top of it.

This tip brought to you by my girlfriend's dad

sig.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Too cold for urchins.

Plenty of water for them, though! It's a nice environment for any aquatic creature.

Did you miss the part about our frozen sharks?

• Options
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Life pro tip: put a tarp out before it starts snowing. When you want your driveway clear, drag the away the tarp, and the snow on top of it.

Things we now know about Tossrock's girlfriend's dad:
    - reasonably strong
    - short driveway

• Options
    Another pro tip (if you can afford it): buy a snowblower. They're not super bank breaking and they save you a lot of hassle.

My parents were convinced to buy one when I went to college and they've never looked back.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    If I was going to go through all the effort of laying a tarp down before snowfall, I'd just lay some tubing under the concrete driveway and use it with a boiler to keep the driveway in the mid 50's during the winter months.

Radiant heating, is there any life problem it can't solve?!

bowen on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    If I was going to go through all the effort of laying a tarp down before snowfall, I'd just lay some tubing under the concrete driveway and use it with a boiler to keep the driveway in the mid 50's during the winter months.

Wildfires?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Wildfires?

Break the tube and let the water flow!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

- reasonably strong
    - short driveway

More like The Hulk. On average, 1 inch of snow weighs 1 pound per square foot. If I had 6 inches of snow on even just a single 10x20 ft parking spot, much less my whole driveway, that's 1200 lbs of snow. Wet snow would be near 2000 lbs.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    We got a snowblower at a garage sale and used it once before something broke with it. :<

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Still no snow here, but my worst fear as a dogsitter happened.

I always walk her with a harness. I don't think the owners actually use it, but when I'm here I prefer it for security's sake. However, the harness doesn't work with her coat (not a dog clothing fan, but she's a damn chihuahua and it's been sub 20 here). On a late night walk she put it in reverse and slipped right out.

Fortunately, due to the cold, her target was her own front door.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Awesoming for the ending. That must've been super stressful though! One positive thing to come from the cold, at least.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm guessing that her breed;s territorial tendency and love of warmth aided me greatly.

On a side note, her wanting to be close by at all times makes her a great hot water bottle replacement, aside from the fact that she growls like I'm her worst enemy if I nudge her even slightly.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

- reasonably strong
    - short driveway

More like The Hulk. On average, 1 inch of snow weighs 1 pound per square foot. If I had 6 inches of snow on even just a single 10x20 ft parking spot, much less my whole driveway, that's 1200 lbs of snow. Wet snow would be near 2000 lbs.

IDK, all the numbers I can find suggest 3-7 pounds per cubic foot for freshly fallen snow. I will inquire further about his technique, though

sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    1 hour drive that normally takes me 15 minutes

nice

people don't seem to grasp the concept of traction, so, like, going up a steep hill means you need to have speed to do it, you can't just put up it at 10 mph and expect to keep going up

Hope you all made it home okay too

I had a three hour drive back from Syracuse the other day cause people don't know how to drive.

it was probably exactly the sort of torture I'll suffer in hell

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    A cold snap has just hit Perth! It's twenty degrees.

I've had to leave my socks on!

• Options

- reasonably strong
    - short driveway

IDK, all the numbers I can find suggest 3-7 pounds per cubic foot for freshly fallen snow. I will inquire further about his technique, though

The first few results I found said that a cubic foot of "light and fluffy snow" can weight 7 lbs, and "very wet and dense snow" can weigh up to 20 lbs per cubic foot, and "average" snow is around 12-15. Another place said 5 - 12.5 lbs. for light to dense snow.

In any case, having shoveled many a 'flake in my day, that shit gets fuckin' heavy. Especially when you're needing to shovel over 100 goddamn cubic feet of it. I can easily see that number going well beyond 7 lbs, and 3 lbs seems extremely light to me.

Disclaimer: I may be biased because I spent 80-90 minutes earlier shoveling 2-3 feet high snow dunes.

• Options
    ahaha I just found a PDF from FEMA where they say "The weight of 1 foot of fresh snow ranges from 3 pounds per square foot for light, dry snow to 21 pounds per square foot for wet, heavy snow (Gooch, 1999). "

So there we have it, cited and all (though they didn't say "cubic" for some reason, even though that's clearly what they meant. I will give them a pass). We are all correct.

Thanks Gooch!

• Options
    So they want to cancel early but don't know what to do because they have patients until 4:30

so I said "why not cancel and close early then? They're going to cancel anyways"

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My commute wasn't bad, but clearing off my car and shoveling behind both our cars left me very wet and cold nearly up to the sensitive bits and unfortunately my drive in didn't really help that much. I'm debating going out during lunch and buying new pants/socks just to warm up or maybe just using my coat as a makeshift blanket over my legs.

With that said, it's a day I'm happy to be a renter. I'll come home to a plowed driveway and if the kid does his chores, a shoveled porch.

• Options
    The apartment complex's plow plowed me in because my parking space is like RIGHT on the snow dune they're creating.

Thank fuck for 4wd