Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There are lots of pulpy things you can read or watch that aren't entirely free of nutrition or stimulus.
    for example:
    The Xanth series

Xanth was where I first heard the "its not pedophilia, its epheboohilia" defense. Piers Anthony is a creepy fuck

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    I found Snow Crash unbearable when I read it. So I might not like Ready Player 1. I did however love The Quantum Thief.

Heh I definitely thought Snow Crash was pretty cool

I probably still think it's pretty cool

I should buy it; I almost certainly don't own it, or at least I haven't seen it around for a long time if I do

Have you read one of his other books, Diamond Age? It felt similar to Snow Crash to me, and I enjoyed most of it.

Yeah, I think Diamond Age is the book of his with the most 'soul' (and, not coincidentally, the only one I've read with a well-developed female character). The protagonist feels human and the reader gets invested. I also thought it was very cool, although the ending, as per usual, went off the rails and got pretty stupid. I much more enjoyed the vicky enclave parts.
    My Stephenson rankings (in order of how much I like them; not necessarily in order of objective quality):
    Diamond Age
    Cryptonomicon
    Snow Crash
    The Big U
    Zodiac
    Quicksilver

...huh, is that all I've read by him? I thought it was more, probably because Quicksilver felt like reading 20 (...million) interminably boring books.

I intend to read Anathem at some point. Not sure whether I actually want to read seveneves or reamde.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    In the year 20XX, BREXITEERS have divided the nation. With the opposition of STRONG AND STABLE leadership, can the REMAINERS take back control from the daring THERESA MAY?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The Fifth Element is not particularly dystopian. I mean, Corbin Dallas has a small apartment, but hey ho.
    But, he's also just a cab driver, so that totally checks out.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Welcome, citizen, to the hellish country known as The Rhythm Nation. Here is your militaristic uniform and your dance schedule.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    The HMS Narwhal is underway; will report back in once we've reached safe harbour.

Be good, do good, love yourself, all that stuff <3

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The real cyberpunk dystopia were the online friends we watched be crushed by capitalist systems that didn't care about them along the way

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    In the year 20XX, BREXITEERS have divided the nation. With the opposition of STRONG AND STABLE leadership, can the REMAINERS take back control from the daring THERESA MAY?

Spoiler:
    No.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I wonder if the current political climate will be the turn for millennials. The thing that tells them, no, the world is actually shit. Your happy inclusive shit was all lies. Here's some anti heroes. But at least he's probably a PoC.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Fifth Element, and I think I've said this before, is pretty much the first science fiction film after Blade Runner to radically change the aesthetics of visual SF worlds. It was bright, colourful, fun and the style was utterly unlike the dim, grimy, rainy worlds of most SF at that time.

People in that world weren't depressed, or angry, or railing against the unfeeling system. They were having instant roast chicken and listening to Ruby Rhod and having sex and having odd slapstick interludes with Lee Evans.

Yeah Fifth Element despite it being about the end of the world, is a very optimistic universe. Like Corbin Dallas is annoyed with his life style, but he's not like depressed or sad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I wonder if the current political climate will be the turn for millennials. The thing that tells them, no, the world is actually shit. Your happy inclusive shit was all lies. Here's some anti heroes. But at least he's probably a PoC.

We're all hopped up on that nihilistic optimism son

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    also interesting is the fine line between the manic joy of meaningful resistance/work/unshackled pleasure-seeking, and the paralytic hedonism of consumerist indulgence, substance abuse, etc.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

millennials have always known the world was shit tho?

we never had hope, we're just not all whiny about it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The Fifth Element, and I think I've said this before, is pretty much the first science fiction film after Blade Runner to radically change the aesthetics of visual SF worlds. It was bright, colourful, fun and the style was utterly unlike the dim, grimy, rainy worlds of most SF at that time.

People in that world weren't depressed, or angry, or railing against the unfeeling system. They were having instant roast chicken and listening to Ruby Rhod and having sex and having odd slapstick interludes with Lee Evans.

Yeah Fifth Element despite it being about the end of the world, is a very optimistic universe. Like Corbin Dallas is annoyed with his life style, but he's not like depressed or sad.

For me its the Panem capital but only showing the panem capital. Imagine the hunger games if only shown from the capital's point of view. It would still have the creepy AF kids killing each other but its all wrapped in fake glitter and wealth. That is the majority of the world you go through in 5th element. And it doesnt disqualify it because of it. IMHO.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    shark you never stop disappointing me :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ugh, I wish I hadn't had a change of heart about The Fifth Element.

Just two years ago I would have had the hottest of takes.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i absolutely could not get through snow crash

vastly preferred neuromancer

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    milski wrote: »
    There are lots of pulpy things you can read or watch that aren't entirely free of nutrition or stimulus.
    for example:
    The Xanth series

Xanth was where I first heard the "its not pedophilia, its epheboohilia" defense. Piers Anthony is a creepy fuck

Go read A Spell For Chameleon sometime if you want a super icky dose of misogyny sprinkled every page or so throughout the entire novel.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    shark you never stop disappointing me :(

right up there with the drizz't novels of course

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    (slightly nsfw art)
    I've been couch surfing for about a month, but now I have a room of my own in a cozy apartment with great roommates :crackle:

Also! At a party last night, I tried figure drawing for the first time; it was really fun!

13q2GSF.jpg

iiIQA5r.jpg

lKvBiY9.jpg

Drawing is a fun skill that can be developed with practice? Who knew! Who could have possibly known that? @Blameless Cleric @Doodmann @21stCentury

And in the supermarket this morning, I heard an adorable conversation between a frazzled father and his toddler son

"Dad! I love chocolate milk!"
    "I know you do, buddy."
    "*unclear, word-like noises*"
    "I don't know what you're saying, buddy."

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    also interesting is the fine line between the manic joy of meaningful resistance/work/unshackled pleasure-seeking, and the paralytic hedonism of consumerist indulgence, substance abuse, etc.

Yes!
    This is completely fascinating to me. The way people use drugs in cyberpunk ranges from a sort of anarchist disdain for society to unfettered pleasure seeking to corporate zombification. And of course, not just drugs, but VR escapism, risk-seeking behavior, etc. I love how multi-layered it all is.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Piers Anthony seemed to be a cool guy in that This American Life episode.

• Options
    That puzzle seems a little deep for first graders.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

it's the letter e

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Ready Player One and The Dresden Files both share the problem that their authors are unwilling to admit that the character's flaws are actually flaws. which is terrible, but also means that if you just sorta ignore it or convince yourself that they did admit it you can enjoy the book.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    brian did you get my tag about playing snipperclips with porp?

so much hilarity

so much screaming JUST HOLD STILL WHILE I FUCKING CUT YOU

great game A++

Sir Landshark on
  • Options

it's the letter e

A little deep for 1st graders in merica landshark. Should be "What do farts smell like?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Good morning, ????s!

edit: wait it's the afternoon fuck

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i'm looking forward to season 2 of America Crime story, the Assassination of Gianni Versace because Darren Criss is great and also it will have Ricky Martin

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Oh yeah, I think the two are on entirely different planes of quality, with neuromancer floating up there as a paragon of style. I'm just apparently willing to read and enjoy stuff that is pretty medium, or even medium-bad, when it's cyberpunk.

credeiki on
  • Options

it's the letter e

A little deep for 1st graders in merica landshark. Should be "What do farts smell like?"

I applaud this teacher for going above and beyond

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    The Dresden Files

*Starts sweating profusely*

*Sounds of gunfire and helicopters echo through head*

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    brian did you get my tag about playing snipperclips with porp?

so much hilarity

so much screaming JUST HOLD STILL WHILE I FUCKING CUT YOU

great game A++

no i didn't get any tag did you spell my name wrong

i do that sometimes

spell my name wrong

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

it's the letter e

That's...not a riddle.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

it's the letter e

That's...not a riddle.

Exactly. I don't need no fancy book learning on my kids.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Snow Crash is the moderately high budget, slightly camp action film to Neuromancer's art house noir

I appreciate both but they are very different

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't actually read RPO or seen a Transformers movie all the way through except the cartoon one, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance, but I've read or seen excerpts, and I don't think either turns into a masterpiece outside of those excerpts, so I'm happy to say they're terrible anyway.

This discussion has been closed.