Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Read the next line "I'm 17 and..."

Maybe that postman should be in jail?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Veevee wrote: »

It could be the dog's? The headline is unclear who she was trying to help do what.

edit: In this case - read the comments:
    Curious Iguana
    ‏Maybe her mum shouted "quick, someone pull him off" and the daughter misunderstood?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Bad News: Martin Shkreli raises price of antiparasitic drug Pyrimethamine from $13.50 to $750 a tablet

Good News: Gets to spend 7 years in prison for fraud related to hedge fund, cries in court while delivering apology.

An article last year that has some transcripts of the jury selection process for Shkreli, over 200 jurors were excused:
    https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/
    the court: All right. I’m going to excuse you. Juror Number 59, come on up.

juror no. 59: Your Honor, totally he is guilty and in no way can I let him slide out of anything because —

the court: Okay. Is that your attitude toward anyone charged with a crime who has not been proven guilty?

juror no. 59: It’s my attitude toward his entire demeanor, what he has done to people.

the court: All right. We are going to excuse you, sir.

juror no. 59: And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan.
    The Court wrote:
    The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?
    I don’t think I can because he kind of looks like a dick.

The whole transcript is amazing.

None of these people are wrong from what I've seen so far.

While I agree with them in sentiment..

The thing that everyone seems to forget now a days in the American justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty, and being a shitbag asshole doesn't mean automatically guilty.

So its good overall that all those people exposed themselves and got excused.

I mean, the process of justice by jury is a complete joke anyway. These people are just the honest ones.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Bad News: Martin Shkreli raises price of antiparasitic drug Pyrimethamine from $13.50 to $750 a tablet

Good News: Gets to spend 7 years in prison for fraud related to hedge fund, cries in court while delivering apology.

An article last year that has some transcripts of the jury selection process for Shkreli, over 200 jurors were excused:
    https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/
    the court: All right. I’m going to excuse you. Juror Number 59, come on up.

juror no. 59: Your Honor, totally he is guilty and in no way can I let him slide out of anything because —

the court: Okay. Is that your attitude toward anyone charged with a crime who has not been proven guilty?

juror no. 59: It’s my attitude toward his entire demeanor, what he has done to people.

the court: All right. We are going to excuse you, sir.

juror no. 59: And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan.
    The Court wrote:
    The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?
    I don’t think I can because he kind of looks like a dick.

The whole transcript is amazing.

None of these people are wrong from what I've seen so far.

While I agree with them in sentiment..

The thing that everyone seems to forget now a days in the American justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty, and being a shitbag asshole doesn't mean automatically guilty.

So its good overall that all those people exposed themselves and got excused.

I mean, the process of justice by jury is a complete joke anyway. These people are just the honest ones.

Fun fact: The European Court on Human Rights found that trial by jury was a violation of the accused's human rights if the jury did not give a justification in addition to the verdict.

Edit: Spelling.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Too bad congress wont do anything to prevent future shitbags from following in his footsteps without the insider trading.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Only in 11 states. 10 if the postman was under 30.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

"Dear Deirdre" is The Sun's agony aunt column, and in the UK the age of consent is 16. So not really, no.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So a real life version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av64gOA9nXM

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    We take cream tea very seriously down here

Lanhydrock National Trust cream tea advert sparks outrage
    A Mother's Day cream tea advert has sparked fury for depicting a scone with the jam dolloped on the cream.

The National Trust's Lanhydrock in Bodmin angered Cornish locals by depicting the delicacy in the rival Devon tradition on a Facebook post.

it should be noted that the National Trust were entirely correct in their scone assembly, unlike the heretical Cornish and their Jam-First nonsense,

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

A Mother's Day cream tea advert has sparked fury for depicting a scone with the jam dolloped on the cream.

The National Trust's Lanhydrock in Bodmin angered Cornish locals by depicting the delicacy in the rival Devon tradition on a Facebook post.

it should be noted that the National Trust were entirely correct in their scone assembly, unlike the heretical Cornish and their Jam-First nonsense,

The British are silly. You don't eat biscuits with cream, you eat them with butter.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

You what?
    I'm ruddy well glad you lot shipped us out and put an ocean between us.

Drafts..

discrider on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

I would disagree. I'm not Cornish or Devonian, but I'm of the opinion that cream on jam is the best way to do things. Allows you to have an even layer of jam over the whole scone before adding the cream. You don't really need to spread the cream - just blob it on top.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Also that jam on top of the cream is just going to fall off the scone entirely.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

I would disagree. I'm not Cornish or Devonian, but I'm of the opinion that cream on jam is the best way to do things. Allows you to have an even layer of jam over the whole scone before adding the cream. You don't really need to spread the cream - just blob it on top.

I would probably do cream (well, butter, because American) first, a thin layer before spreading the jam. If it isn't the first thing you eat of the meal, that jam will dry out the bread pretty damn quickly.

Then again, that's based on experience with sandwich bread. A scone might not have that problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The British are silly. You don't eat biscuits with cream, you eat them with butter.

Don't get my started on what they do to tea.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Come to Canada, we'll solve the whole dilemma with gravy

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What Canada are you on about?

Scones are with butter and jam.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

What Canada are you on about?

Scones are with butter and jam.

oh my bad then, we solved that one with bacon

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And inferior maple syrup.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

I would probably do cream (well, butter, because American) first, a thin layer before spreading the jam. If it isn't the first thing you eat of the meal, that jam will dry out the bread pretty damn quickly.

Then again, that's based on experience with sandwich bread. A scone might not have that problem.

Well you would put butter on first. That is kind of a given. In an afternoon tea setting you would normally apply the jam and cream yourself just prior to consumption.

Scones are very different to bread. It's my understanding that they're a sweeter version of the American biscuits.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I do not care whether you put butter or jam first on a scone. What a dumb discussion.

The real concern is, are you using the same knife to spread the butter and the jam? Are you getting bits of jam in the butter? Are you getting bits of butter in the jam?

People who contaminate foods by not using a fresh clean knife for every use are worse than Hitler.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    omllx6z9wmi7.png

The heck is going on in here!?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Alternative headlines:

News Outlets Misinterpret Internet Hyperbole

Comments Drive Our Revenue

Twitter Considered Acceptable Replacement For Actual Investigative Journalism

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Isn't the devon vs cornwall really about aesthetics vs practicality.

Yes. Jamfirst is more practical, since the jam is heavier and stickier, but cream first kind of maximizes the first taste sensation and looks prettier.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And inferior maple syrup.

How.

DARE you!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Food fight!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Bad news: Far-right Canadian Youtuber spends summer attacking migrant rescue boats in the Med

Gone right: She's now banned from entering the UK for being a terrible human being

Surely she should be happy that we're cracking down on migration?

• Options
    Bad news: Far-right Canadian Youtuber spends summer attacking migrant rescue boats in the Med

Gone right: She's now banned from entering the UK for being a terrible human being

Surely she should be happy that we're cracking down on migration?

Technically she's banned under the anti-terrorism laws for previously aiding in the distribution of hate speech.
    Like most of Europe people aren't banned for being despicable persons, they banned for doing despicable things.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    you would normally apply the jam and cream yourself just prior to consumption.

Look, it's just a snack. Don't get too excited over it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Jam over cream, cream over jam, whatever. The important thing is, are you putting milk in your teacup before you put tea in?

Everything rides on this question.

• Options
    Robonun wrote: »
    Jam over cream, cream over jam, whatever. The important thing is, are you putting milk in your teacup before you put tea in?

What if I just drink it with a tiny dollop of honey (or a lot of honey if my throat is sore)?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I just drink honey.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    how much jam am I supposed to put in my tea?

I've been defaulting to about a quart, I hope that's ok

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese. So cream cheese and jam on a bread product, not for me since I don't look cream cheese but I can understand it. Then I started thinking about it being on a scone and really started to wonder. Is this just fries/chips situation, different words for the same product, if so what's the American analog for scone. Is it something more akin to a biscuit here, because cream cheese and jam wouldn't be totally unheard of on a biscuit. But what if scones are the same there as here? I had a delicious lemon stawberry scone just yesterday and the thought that there's people throwing jam and cream cheese on something like that is both terrifying and very exciting.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese.

Let me stop you right there. The cream they're talking about it is clotted cream, which I've heard described as either the butteriest whipped cream, or the creamiest butter you've ever tasted. The Brits already think we're heathens for putting ice in tea, don't let them hear anything about putting cream cheese on a scone or there will be no end to their laughter.

Bonus content: clotted cream is actually not hard to make, just time-consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyyAb6lB48

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Anything only rides on this if your china is very nice/old / your tea is steeped too hot

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese.

Let me stop you right there. The cream they're talking about it is clotted cream, which I've heard described as either the butteriest whipped cream, or the creamiest butter you've ever tasted. The Brits already think we're heathens for putting ice in tea, don't let them hear anything about putting cream cheese on a scone or there will be no end to their laughter.

Bonus content: clotted cream is actually not hard to make, just time-consuming.
    (youtube snipped)

Wait, what? You put cream cheese in your tea?
    I genuinely cannot tell if this is a joke to make the Brits think we're even more cracked, or if these are ravings of a lunatic mind.

chromdom on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    No. While cream tea is callled tea it refers to the snack in total. Afternoon tea.

The cream can go in the tea but it goes on the scone (which is the same as an American Scone but a different shape and usually with no stuffs in it).

So when people refer to “eating cream tea” they’re referring to having a scone with cream and jam. No actual tea required.

The poster was confused because “cream cheese and jam on a scone?!”* not understanding that the cream is actual cream

*by the way the answer is “fuck yea gimme some heart disease”

Edit: or was your post a subtle joke to make brits think we put jam in our tea by leaving out the jam in your confused is this a joke post?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese. So cream cheese and jam on a bread product, not for me since I don't look cream cheese but I can understand it. Then I started thinking about it being on a scone and really started to wonder. Is this just fries/chips situation, different words for the same product, if so what's the American analog for scone. Is it something more akin to a biscuit here, because cream cheese and jam wouldn't be totally unheard of on a biscuit. But what if scones are the same there as here? I had a delicious lemon stawberry scone just yesterday and the thought that there's people throwing jam and cream cheese on something like that is both terrifying and very exciting.

Cream cheese on a scone?!? I think I just threw up a little. Scones are the sweeter equivalent to an American biscuit (but not American, diabetes-inducing sweet). When I've spoken to Americans I've always got the impression you don't have actual scones in the US.

Social standards dictate that milk goes in last, the reason being it prevents heat shock breaking the delicate china cups being used to drink the tea.

Science now tells us that milk should go in first as this facilitates proper mixing and even heating of the milk. ISO 3103 suggests adding the milk first as well.

I must admit that I'm a milk last kind of guy

Anarchy Rules! on