[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    well that's terrifying

which is the point I suppose

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Japan successfully tests out Super Monster Wolf
    A robot wolf designed to protect farms has proved to be such a success in trials that it is going into mass production next month.

The "Super Monster Wolf" is a 65cm-long, 50cm-tall robot animal covered with realistic-looking fur, featuring huge white fangs and flashing red eyes, Asahi Television reports.

It's been designed to keep wild boar away from rice and chestnut crops, and was deployed on a trial basis near Kisarazu City in Japan's eastern Chiba prefecture last July.

When it detects an approaching animal, its eyes light up and it starts to howl, Asahi TV says. Its manufacturers say the robot wolf uses solar-rechargeable batteries and has a range of howl noises so that animal threats don't get used to it.

The Japan Agricultural Cooperatives say that crop losses have noticeably decreased in areas where the Super Monster Wolf has been present. Beforehand, farmers around Kisarazu were resigned to giving up at least part of their crops to wild boar every year.

Speaking to the Chiba Nippo news website, Chihiko Umezawa of the agricultural cooperative says that the device has an effective radius of about one kilometre, suggesting it is more effective than an electric fence.

Now, the robot wolf is going into mass production, with units costing about 514,000 yen ($4,840; £3,480) each, but there are options for farmers to pay a far cheaper monthly lease on a wolf instead.

No word when it'll appear in a Godzilla movie yet.

But can it fly?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So they made a motion-activated Halloween decoration?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Japan successfully tests out Super Monster Wolf
    A robot wolf designed to protect farms has proved to be such a success in trials that it is going into mass production next month.

The "Super Monster Wolf" is a 65cm-long, 50cm-tall robot animal covered with realistic-looking fur, featuring huge white fangs and flashing red eyes, Asahi Television reports.

It's been designed to keep wild boar away from rice and chestnut crops, and was deployed on a trial basis near Kisarazu City in Japan's eastern Chiba prefecture last July.

When it detects an approaching animal, its eyes light up and it starts to howl, Asahi TV says. Its manufacturers say the robot wolf uses solar-rechargeable batteries and has a range of howl noises so that animal threats don't get used to it.

The Japan Agricultural Cooperatives say that crop losses have noticeably decreased in areas where the Super Monster Wolf has been present. Beforehand, farmers around Kisarazu were resigned to giving up at least part of their crops to wild boar every year.

Speaking to the Chiba Nippo news website, Chihiko Umezawa of the agricultural cooperative says that the device has an effective radius of about one kilometre, suggesting it is more effective than an electric fence.

Now, the robot wolf is going into mass production, with units costing about 514,000 yen ($4,840; £3,480) each, but there are options for farmers to pay a far cheaper monthly lease on a wolf instead.

No word when it'll appear in a Godzilla movie yet.

But can it fly?

That will be for the upgrade it gets in season 2 when its initial configuration isn't enough to defeat King Bristleback's true form.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

With an effective radius of one kilometer.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

So like a nice decoration, not one of those cheap ones from Walmart.

I'll be impressed when they enable the optical threat neutralization protocol and externalize the laser beams .

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

So like a nice decoration, not one of those cheap ones from Walmart.

I'll be impressed when they enable the optical threat neutralization protocol and externalize the laser beams .

Even just a version that can differentiate between animals and activate accordingly would be really useful for some applications. One that could scare off raccoons and foxes while ignoring cats (and possums since they hunt ticks) would be useful in feral cat trap/neuter/release sites.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For what it is and what it does (it's basically a high tech version of a wooden owl/scarecrow/ect), I feel like you could achieve the same thing with less tech and cost.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    well that's terrifying

Did you click the link and see the picture?

Spoilered for nightmare protection.
    ecwdvzt7worz.jpg

you were warned.

The picture tagline, however, is pure snarky gold
    Super Monster Wolf strikes fear into the hearts of easily-fooled wild boar

Veevee on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    For what it is and what it does (it's basically a high tech version of a wooden owl/scarecrow/ect), I feel like you could achieve the same thing with less tech and cost.

Wild boars are generally not easily intimidated. Active/Sudden threats and electric fences are just about the only things that can deter them.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Wild boars are generally not easily intimidated. Active/Sudden threats and electric fences are just about the only things that can deter them.

And apparently mecha wolves and other Halloween decorations.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

If that were true, it would have been done already

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    well that's terrifying

Did you click the link and see the picture?

Spoilered for nightmare protection.
    ecwdvzt7worz.jpg

you were warned.

The picture tagline, however, is pure snarky gold
    Super Monster Wolf strikes fear into the hearts of easily-fooled wild boar

Goddamnit dont say it out loud now the boar will know its fake!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

If that were true, it would have been done already

It sounds like the big problem was making sure it would keep spooking the boars away without them getting used to it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Couldn't they just get dogs? I mean this is one of the reasons we even made dogs in the first place isn't it?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Couldn't they just get dogs? I mean this is one of the reasons we even made dogs in the first place isn't it?
    Why would they want to?
    They can get robot wolves.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

I believe the answer is that boars will kill dogs. They are, in general, as smart as a dog and much larger. Also the wolves do not need to be trained or fed or really liked after like a living animal.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Boars are probably one of the most dangerous wild animals to run across.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    oh wait, that's a wild pig

• Options
    3vyejmap3jeq.jpg

that's a wild bore

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    *applause*

• Options
    Today's fun with neural networks - creating knitting patterns that are then rendered in yarn by knitters.

They call it SkyKnit.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Today's fun with neural networks - creating knitting patterns that are then rendered in yarn by knitters.

They call it SkyKnit.

ot1fwgxry626.png

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

They call it SkyKnit.

ot1fwgxry626.png

Great, now I'm hearing the Terminator's signature dundun dun dundun.... dundun dun dundun as Arnold's stoic face and glowing red eye stares straight at me and his hands knit a fishcock.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In reality, Skynet accumulated all of its knowledge from 4chan, Urban Dictionary, and listening to unruly 12-year old children.

• Options
    It's one thing if you don't turn off the Drumpf extension in Chrome before posting here.

It is another thing entirely for a New York Times editor to add a quote to an article without turning off the "Millenials to Snake People" extension:

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

I believe the answer is that boars will kill dogs. They are, in general, as smart as a dog and much larger. Also the wolves do not need to be trained or fed or really liked after like a living animal.

It also means the cost and expense of getting and keeping dogs, and then you have the problem of controlling the dogs. So you have a fence that keeps the dogs in, and the boars out. Unless the fence gets breached, and then the dogs get out.

When I said 'if there's a better solution, someone would've thought of it,' I didn't mean 'in the past five years,' 'since last Tuesday.' I meant _ever_. Keeping destructive animals out of agriculture has been around as long as the act itself, and there are still things like this that we're looking for good answers for.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    It's one thing if you don't turn off the Drumpf extension in Chrome before posting here.

It is another thing entirely for a New York Times editor to add a quote to an article without turning off the "Millenials to Snake People" extension:

I remember this article! It confused the shit out of me until I remembered I had that extension installed!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I remember this article! It confused the shit out of me until I remembered I had that extension installed!

Wait, if you read an article that was accidentally written with the addon, while using the addon, will it correct it back to it's intended form?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

That's going to get so confusing when you read an article about actual snake people.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Oh, that explains that article about millenials choking and swallowing whole pigs. I thought it was the new "planking"

honovere on
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

They call it SkyKnit.

ot1fwgxry626.png

When I get home, I'm going to bust out my needles and some cheap acrylic yarn and knit me up a fishcock. Pics may follow.

edit: Actually someone already has. Pic from the article:

f0ba27c58.jpg

Robonun on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Oh, that explains that article about millenials choking and swallowing whole pigs. I thought it was the new "planking"

"Man, this farm to table food trend is getting out of hand . . ."

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Bad News: Martin Shkreli raises price of antiparasitic drug Pyrimethamine from $13.50 to $750 a tablet

Good News: Gets to spend 7 years in prison for fraud related to hedge fund, cries in court while delivering apology.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Bad News: Martin Shkreli raises price of antiparasitic drug Pyrimethamine from $13.50 to $750 a tablet

Good News: Gets to spend 7 years in prison for fraud related to hedge fund, cries in court while delivering apology.

An article last year that has some transcripts of the jury selection process for Shkreli, over 200 jurors were excused:
    https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/
    the court: All right. I’m going to excuse you. Juror Number 59, come on up.

juror no. 59: Your Honor, totally he is guilty and in no way can I let him slide out of anything because —

the court: Okay. Is that your attitude toward anyone charged with a crime who has not been proven guilty?

juror no. 59: It’s my attitude toward his entire demeanor, what he has done to people.

the court: All right. We are going to excuse you, sir.

juror no. 59: And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

tenor.gif

Prohass on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

An article last year that has some transcripts of the jury selection process for Shkreli, over 200 jurors were excused:

juror no. 59: Your Honor, totally he is guilty and in no way can I let him slide out of anything because —

the court: Okay. Is that your attitude toward anyone charged with a crime who has not been proven guilty?

juror no. 59: It’s my attitude toward his entire demeanor, what he has done to people.

The Court wrote:
    The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?
    I don’t think I can because he kind of looks like a dick.

The whole transcript is amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

The Court wrote:
    The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?

None of these people are wrong from what I've seen so far.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

The Court wrote:

None of these people are wrong from what I've seen so far.

While I agree with them in sentiment..

The thing that everyone seems to forget now a days in the American justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty, and being a shitbag asshole doesn't mean automatically guilty.

So its good overall that all those people exposed themselves and got excused.