Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You can find scones in the US. Not as common as muffins or donuts though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's heresy to not make them yourself.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    We take cream tea very seriously down here

Lanhydrock National Trust cream tea advert sparks outrage
    A Mother's Day cream tea advert has sparked fury for depicting a scone with the jam dolloped on the cream.

The National Trust's Lanhydrock in Bodmin angered Cornish locals by depicting the delicacy in the rival Devon tradition on a Facebook post.

it should be noted that the National Trust were entirely correct in their scone assembly, unlike the heretical Cornish and their Jam-First nonsense,

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese. So cream cheese and jam on a bread product, not for me since I don't look cream cheese but I can understand it. Then I started thinking about it being on a scone and really started to wonder. Is this just fries/chips situation, different words for the same product, if so what's the American analog for scone. Is it something more akin to a biscuit here, because cream cheese and jam wouldn't be totally unheard of on a biscuit. But what if scones are the same there as here? I had a delicious lemon stawberry scone just yesterday and the thought that there's people throwing jam and cream cheese on something like that is both terrifying and very exciting.

Cream cheese on a scone?!? I think I just threw up a little. Scones are the sweeter equivalent to an American biscuit (but not American, diabetes-inducing sweet). When I've spoken to Americans I've always got the impression you don't have actual scones in the US.

Social standards dictate that milk goes in last, the reason being it prevents heat shock breaking the delicate china cups being used to drink the tea.

Science now tells us that milk should go in first as this facilitates proper mixing and even heating of the milk. ISO 3103 suggests adding the milk first as well.

I must admit that I'm a milk last kind of guy

Why are the scones in the various pictures all round? Scones should be shaped like pie wedges. If it's round it's a biscuit.

Brits have weird names for things.

As for the cream vs jam first debate. I think the cream first makes for a better picture (judging by the pictures in the article).

For those of us putting butter or cream cheese on our biscuits (or English Muffins), you have to put the butter/cream cheese first as it has to melt. If you put the jelly/jam on first, the butter/cream cheese won't melt.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

A Mother's Day cream tea advert has sparked fury for depicting a scone with the jam dolloped on the cream.

The National Trust's Lanhydrock in Bodmin angered Cornish locals by depicting the delicacy in the rival Devon tradition on a Facebook post.

it should be noted that the National Trust were entirely correct in their scone assembly, unlike the heretical Cornish and their Jam-First nonsense,

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese. So cream cheese and jam on a bread product, not for me since I don't look cream cheese but I can understand it. Then I started thinking about it being on a scone and really started to wonder. Is this just fries/chips situation, different words for the same product, if so what's the American analog for scone. Is it something more akin to a biscuit here, because cream cheese and jam wouldn't be totally unheard of on a biscuit. But what if scones are the same there as here? I had a delicious lemon stawberry scone just yesterday and the thought that there's people throwing jam and cream cheese on something like that is both terrifying and very exciting.

Cream cheese on a scone?!? I think I just threw up a little. Scones are the sweeter equivalent to an American biscuit (but not American, diabetes-inducing sweet). When I've spoken to Americans I've always got the impression you don't have actual scones in the US.

Social standards dictate that milk goes in last, the reason being it prevents heat shock breaking the delicate china cups being used to drink the tea.

Science now tells us that milk should go in first as this facilitates proper mixing and even heating of the milk. ISO 3103 suggests adding the milk first as well.

Other way around. Milk went in first to prevent British poor steeping practices from breaking their China.

3103 is not scientific and was made for consistency purposes. Nor was the RSC publication either for that matter.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Selner wrote: »

Why are the scones in the various pictures all round? Scones should be shaped like pie wedges. If it's round it's a biscuit.

Scones can be made in any shape. Squares are extremely common from bakeries actually because they make them in large slabs and cut them into squares.

Wedges are most common homemade if you just make a big round one and cut it apart but you can easily go individual size and get the rounds ones.

shryke on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

As for the cream vs jam first debate. I think the cream first makes for a better picture (judging by the pictures in the article).

For those of us putting butter or cream cheese on our biscuits (or English Muffins), you have to put the butter/cream cheese first as it has to melt. If you put the jelly/jam on first, the butter/cream cheese won't melt.

In America where things are correct a biscuit is savory and a scone is sweet. They are otherwise the same type of bread and shape is just convention. (Brits also have triangular or pie shaped scones)

In the UK a scone is sweet or savory and a biscuit is a cookie or a cracker because why use one name for something when you could use one name for two things.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    All along this thread was secretly the British thread.

either that or talk of tea and scones summoned them from the mists.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »

Not being familiar with the intricacies of cream tea I spent a lot of time last night thinking about this. First assumption was that jam is of the regular fruit preserve kind and cream is cream cheese.

Let me stop you right there. The cream they're talking about it is clotted cream, which I've heard described as either the butteriest whipped cream, or the creamiest butter you've ever tasted. The Brits already think we're heathens for putting ice in tea, don't let them hear anything about putting cream cheese on a scone or there will be no end to their laughter.

Bonus content: clotted cream is actually not hard to make, just time-consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyyAb6lB48

At Universal Orlando, in Diagon Alley there's an ice cream place that sells Clotted Cream ice cream and it is to DIE for. Like they have tons of other great flavors but I can't buy anything else because not eating it is unthinkable.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    All along this thread was secretly the British thread.

either that or talk of tea and scones summoned them from the mists.

Good sir. Any attempt to eat my scone will led to fisticuffs. Once I have removed my bowler hat and monocle of course. Pip pip and all that.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

In America where things are correct a biscuit is savory and a scone is sweet. They are otherwise the same type of bread and shape is just convention. (Brits also have triangular or pie shaped scones)

In the UK a scone is sweet or savory and a biscuit is a cookie or a cracker because why use one name for something when you could use one name for two things.

Shape is more than just convention for American biscuits. Drop biscuits are always going to be round because they're not cut while folded biscuits will depend on the cutter used but be flat on top.

And then there are the other things that affect the taste and texture like buttermilk versus other dairy and butter versus animal fat (e.g. duck or bacon) or a combo of the two.

They're all still quickbreads but so is a muffin.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I think what it sounds like it's the thing Brits call a scone we call a biscuit in the US: http://www.cookingmaniac.com/grandmas-flaky-buttermilk-biscuits/

And the thing we call scone in US i don't know that it has a Brit equivalent: https://bakerbettie.com/make-scones-basic-scone-recipe/

And the thing Brits call biscuits, we call cookies in the states: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-chewy-ginger-cookies/

Do Brits call anything cookies? I am guessing it's some fish dish.

Note: all URLs based off Google image search, i don't know if those recipes are actually good or not.

Edit:
    In the US, these are muffins: https://www.google.com/amp/s/recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail-amp.asp?recipe=3740

In the US, these are English muffins: http://redstaryeast.com/sourdough-english-muffins/

And in the US, these are Portuguese muffins:.https://easyportugueserecipes.com/bolo-levedo-sweet-muffin/

Is there Brit equivalents?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's heresy to not make them yourself.

Well it's a good thing I enjoy baking then.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hello we are done arguing about scones in here.

There is a food thread floating around if you want to use that.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I think what it sounds like it's the thing Brits call a scone we call a biscuit in the US: http://www.cookingmaniac.com/grandmas-flaky-buttermilk-biscuits/

And the thing we call scone in US i don't know that it has a Brit equivalent: https://bakerbettie.com/make-scones-basic-scone-recipe/

And the thing Brits call biscuits, we call cookies in the states: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-chewy-ginger-cookies/

Do Brits call anything cookies? I am guessing it's some fish dish.

Note: all URLs based off Google image search, i don't know if those recipes are actually good or not.

Edit:
    In the US, these are muffins: https://www.google.com/amp/s/recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail-amp.asp?recipe=3740

In the US, these are English muffins: http://redstaryeast.com/sourdough-english-muffins/

And in the US, these are Portuguese muffins:.https://easyportugueserecipes.com/bolo-levedo-sweet-muffin/

Is there Brit equivalents?

I wouldn't say we have an equivalent of American scones - perhaps a rock cake? But that tends to be less sugary if anything (but more fruited).

Cookies in the UK differ from biscuits in that they have some 'squish' to them and are moist. Biscuits would be something completely solid and dry (the word biscuit is derived from the latin for twice baked after all).

English muffins remarkably are an American invention. Apparently invented by a British expat in the US, but hadn't previously existed in the UK. Generally called English muffins or toasting muffins here.

Not encountered Portuguese muffins at all.

Do Americans have crumpets at all?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please see above and take your pastry discussion to the appropriate thread :)

• Options
    edited March 2018
    37 year old man dressed as Elsa helps free police wagon from snow
    Queen Elsa of Arendelle graced the streets of Boston Tuesday night, coming to the rescue of a police wagon stuck in the snow in the South End.

The Bostonian behind the costume? Jason Triplett, a 37-year-old attorney, who bought the “Frozen” costume last winter and wore it Tuesday night to give his friends a laugh.

“That was worth it enough for me,” he said.

Opportunity came knocking when the wheels of a Boston police wagon started spinning on Washington Street, near The Gallows. Triplett jumped into action, telling his friends to take a few photos and videos to text to their absent friends in their 15-person group message.

. . .

And as Boston police dealt with the high winds and heavy snow of the third nor’easter this month, officers were thankful to have the Disney star’s help.

“The officers involved were especially grateful for the help and would like to thank the Elsa-impersonator for the assist,” said Boston police Officer James Kenneally, a spokesman for the department.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ahahaha the curtsy at the end makes it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Eh, the cold never bothered her anyway.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Eh, the cold never bothered her anyway.

Do you think she asked the snow to let it go?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    not one motherfucker in the bar went out to help.
    Come on Boston.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Really fun/interesting discussion paper on digital evolution (ie letting computers develop their own solutions to problems). It's an open access preprint and reasonably readable (I'm a biologist and could follow!).

In effect the paper is a series of anecdotes detailing the amazing ways solutions to problems can be 'evolved' through AI, often by exploiting loopholes or badly defined parameters.

My favourite anecdotes include:
    A simulation to breed an organism that can jump as high as possible. One of the best 'jumpers' instead just evolved a very creative falling method:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9DLEiakkEs&index=5&

A rather unnerving example was a program that was meant to evolve the best way to sort a list (with a fitness assigned being the difference between the output list and the perfect solution). After several generations, perfect solutions emerged. When these were inspected they weren't solved at all! Instead the solution the program found was that the simplest solution was instead just to delete the target list.

Similarly, another program when set to evolve mechanisms that would allow a plane to land more efficiently it realised that the optimal system would instead be to generate a floating point overload (ie make a high enough number to roll over to 0). This created a 'perfect' system that in real-life would translate to trying to apply an enormous force on the aircraft when landing!

From these anecdotes you can somewhat surmise that unless you define proper parameters an AI could quite easily decide that 'kill all humans' would be the best solution to a problem, if it was the easiest solution.

For example, you tell an AI to evolve the recipe to bake the tastiest cake. It could decide that rather than iterate all the combinations of ingredients, cook times and temperatures the easiest solution could instead be to murder the judges or the competitors for example (one of the anecdotes was of a program that figured out that the easiest way to win tic-tac-toe was overload the memory of its competitors).

Fortunately, I don't think killing all humans would usually be the easiest solution....

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Turns out that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a dickhead genie

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    And in "can't make this shit up, not enough drugs in the world" news, a Neo-Nazi group collapses when it comes out that the head of the group is a literal motherfucker (well, okay, mother-in-lawfucker, but who's counting):
    One of America’s highest-profile neo-Nazi parties is “no more” after a bizarre love triangle saw its leader locked up for assault, the party’s former spokesperson, who described the incident as a “white trash circus” told The Daily Beast.

The Traditionalist Worker Party gained national attention after its involvement at the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last August. Its leader, Matthew Heimbach was arrested Tuesday for allegedly assaulting his wife and his spokesman after Heimbach was caught cheating on his wife with the spokesman’s wife.

...The implosion began at a TWP compound in Paoli, Indiana, where Parrott’s wife, Jessica, was allegedly having an affair with Heimbach—who is married to Parrott’s stepdaughter from a previous marriage.

Heimbach and Jessica told Parrott they’d ended the relationship, but Parrott and Heimbach’s wife were skeptical. They arranged to “set up” Heimbach and Jessica in a trailer on Parrott’s property to catch them having sex.

Parrott stood on a box outside the trailer and watched Heimbach and Jessica have sex inside, according to a police report. When the box broke under Parrott’s weight, he entered the trailer to confront them. Heimbach allegedly choked him and chased him into a house, where Parrott threw a chair at him. Heimbach hit back, choking him into unconsciousness, according to the police report.

Parrott fled to a Walmart near his home and called police around 1 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Reality continues to tell The Onion to hold its beer.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    There's a movie version of the Romanian man's journey from Turkey to his homeland:
    Return of the Living Dead

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

too obvious

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Certainly the right country for it.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    No, your hand is not a valid ticket, even if you implanted the guts of one in it:
    Digging through your purse or pockets every time you enter public transit can be a hassle, so last year Australian biohacker Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow (yes, that’s his legal name) had a chip from a transit pass implanted in his hand. The chip allowed him to tap on or off of trains in Sydney with a wave of his wrist. That is, until last August, when transit officers handed him fine for traveling without a valid ticket, despite still having $14.07 still left on the chip.

On Friday morning in Australia, in an unprecedented legal case, Meow-Meow pled guilty in a local Sydney court to charges of traveling without a valid ticket and failing to produce a ticket for inspection. The battle, though, is likely far from over. At the heart of the case is not just whether one man was within the bounds of the law when he took apart his transit pass and implanted it in his hand, but whether governments have the authority to intervene in the technology we put in our bodies, and how laws will adjust to the rapid expansion of implanted technology.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow (yes, that’s his legal name)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Pot of gold found. No word of leprechauns yet.
    While digging in Hoef en Haag, a town in central Netherlands, waterworks employees recently unearthed a remarkable archaeological relic: a centuries-old pot filled with hundreds of gold and silver coins. There were no rainbows or leprechauns in sight, but as Janene Pieters reports for the NL Times, experts are nevertheless excited by the discovery, which they hope will shed light on a little-known period in the area’s history.

The pot o’ gold was found in early March by employees of the drinking water company Oasen, who immediately alerted archaeologists in the city of Utrecht. Inside the earthenware cooking pot were 500 coins, 12 of them gold, the rest silver. Remnants of textiles were also found in the vessel, which may suggest that the coins had been bundled into bags or cloth.

According to Dutch News, archaeologists have dated the pot to the late 15th century. The coins are engraved with the portraits of King Henri VI of England (who ruled from 1422 to 1461, and then again from 1470 to 1471), Pope Paul II (who was appointed in 1464) and David of Burgundy (who served as Bishop of Utrecht from 1456 until his death in 1496).

“[E]very coin in this treasure is a story in precious metal,” archeologist Peter de Boer, who was on hand to inspect the newly discovered pot, tells RTV Utrecht, according to Pieters. “[T]here is a lot to discover: stories over power relations, religion and a lot of symbolism.”

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    While digging in Hoef en Haag, a town in central Netherlands, waterworks employees recently unearthed a remarkable archaeological relic: a centuries-old pot filled with 1000 gold and silver coins. There were no rainbows or leprechauns in sight, but as Janene Pieters reports for the NL Times, experts are nevertheless excited by the discovery, which they hope will shed light on a little-known period in the area’s history.

The pot o’ gold was found in early March by employees of the drinking water company Oasen, who immediately alerted archaeologists in the city of Utrecht. Inside the earthenware cooking pot were 500 coins, 12 of them gold, the rest silver. Remnants of textiles were also found in the vessel, which may suggest that the coins had been bundled into bags or cloth.

According to Dutch News, archaeologists have dated the pot to the late 15th century. The 200 coins are engraved with the portraits of King Henri VI of England (who ruled from 1422 to 1461, and then again from 1470 to 1471), Pope Paul II (who was appointed in 1464) and David of Burgundy (who served as Bishop of Utrecht from 1456 until his death in 1496).

“[E]very coin in this treasure is a story in precious metal,” archeologist Peter de Boer, who was on hand to inspect the newly discovered pot and its 100 coins, tells RTV Utrecht, according to Pieters. “[T]here is a lot to discover: stories over power relations, religion and a lot of symbolism.”

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Good News: Amateur astronomers in Canada have discovered a new type of Northern Light..

Gone Better: They named it Steve.

Gone Awesome: The official scientific name for the phenomenon has been decided as, Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Whoops wrong thread.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Pot of gold found. No word of leprechauns yet.
    While digging in Hoef en Haag, a town in central Netherlands, waterworks employees recently unearthed a remarkable archaeological relic: a centuries-old pot filled with hundreds of gold and silver coins. There were no rainbows or leprechauns in sight, but as Janene Pieters reports for the NL Times, experts are nevertheless excited by the discovery, which they hope will shed light on a little-known period in the area’s history.

According to Dutch News, archaeologists have dated the pot to the late 15th century. The coins are engraved with the portraits of King Henri VI of England (who ruled from 1422 to 1461, and then again from 1470 to 1471), Pope Paul II (who was appointed in 1464) and David of Burgundy (who served as Bishop of Utrecht from 1456 until his death in 1496).

“[E]very coin in this treasure is a story in precious metal,” archeologist Peter de Boer, who was on hand to inspect the newly discovered pot, tells RTV Utrecht, according to Pieters. “[T]here is a lot to discover: stories over power relations, religion and a lot of symbolism.”

You quaint Americans and your lack of history! We're digging up gold hoards in Europe pretty much every other year!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow (yes, that’s his legal name)

He has run in elections previously!

Hpq3Adp.jpg

broken image link
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Man, America needs to adopt preferential voting, if for no other reason, for the sheer joy of myriad party names.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    You don't even need preferential voting, just a parliamentary democracy!

At the last general election Theresa May ran against opponents from the Labour party, the Lib Dems, the Greens, the Gremloids, the Monster raving loony party and the Give Me Back My Elmo party (amongst others).