As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    Pull your head back like you’re trying to create a double chin, that will help with the bar hitting you in the throat.

As far as gaining mobility in the front rack position - triceps, lats, forearms need to be stretched and worked on prior to front squatting if you want comfort.
    Also, keep the bar off your neck to keep it away from your carotid artery. There are countless videos of people going night night mid-set because they cut off the blood flow to their brain.

Post second vaccine and doing some shoulder work to get the blood moving. This is totally a good idea.

Well I know what I'm watching for the rest of the evening.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Warmed up on 40 and 50, and then did five sets of five reps on the bench at 60kgs

That feels like my first actual serious bench session where I put some consistent effort in. Happy with that.

Solar on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    in a couple weeks I'm traveling to watch my parent's house and dogs and trying to figure out what to do about workouts. like i'm sure a week of body weight stuff is fine but I'm wondering if i can get more out of it, like are those adjustable dumbells any good? I think I always just assumed they weren't that secure.

depends which ones you get, but the more expensive & better ones are harder to transport probably. what about some kettlebells?

The more expensive ones are actually easier to transport, since all the weight can be self contained attached to the handle. Adjustable handles (either spin lock or Olympic) would be harder to move, since the plates are all separate pieces, but maybe not so hard depending on how much weight you’re moving.

I have Powerblocks and I love them. Very secure. Not the most traditional feel, though.

Yeah, now that you mention it Powerblocks probably are the best for travel (don't have to take every plate with you after all) and general use (I love the set we have at my local gym). They're probably the most expensive too.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Also like... I squatted

And it was fun today. Okay. Okay! I'll squat. I am gonna squat twice a week and go for low reps and just try to steadily improve strength a bit. I am not looking at number goals for this one, just the occasional squat cos fuck it my friends are so whatever.

The effort goes into the bench (wanting to get to 100kgs at some point) and pull-up (wanting to get to one armed at some point) and the squat I guess I'll just do after bouldering when the guys want to rack up.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’m proud of you, you tea guzzling wanker

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I've hit the ground running since the gyms reopened last month. Back up to a 100kg x 5 bench and 140kg x 3 sumo deadlift. I wish I'd done sumo earlier. I feel like I'm custom built for it. I'm glad I had a PT friend check my form though.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    I’m proud of you, you tea guzzling wanker

Thanks, yank

• Options
    As it happens I also did a new one rep max of 35kgs added weight on a pullup and I think I can do more, I just didn't want to overdo it on the one rep maxes (never do, feels like a way to get injured). I will try 37.5kgs next time though as that's 150% of bodyweight.

Incidentally that means I can pull up 110kgs (about 245lbs) in total... which is more than I can squat right now. That's got to be weird right? :biggrin:

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    They’re not really comparable because one of them is a body weight exercise. While squatting involves considerably more muscle groups in your body, and is actually considered a full body exercise, an untrained person who is light might do a pull up long before they squat the equivalent their own body weight.

You’re a pretty light person and you’re definitely not untrained, at least in terms of upper body strength, so not that weird.

• Options
    Oh they aren't really comparable at all, I just think it's probably an outlier in terms of where one is strong and one is not. My understanding is that lots of people do relate their strength benchmarks to bodyweight though no? Squat 1.5 bodyweight as a goal for example

• Options
    The ability to do a pull up is huge. The ability to do weighted pull-ups is more huge. It’s cool to have a strong 1RM but there is more utility in being able to consistently bang out weighted reps sub max. Also less likely to get cranky elbows in my case.

I’d agree that you’re beyond most people in their ability to do weighted pull-ups, which is good for your sport and a good balance of your weight to strength since that’s what you’re after.

• Options
    Yeah absolutely. To be honest one rep maxes are kind of a vanity tbh outside of certain things like I guess deadlifts? It's cool to know your limit but it's definitely not like, useful as actual training. Doing sets of 4-5 with good form is, of course.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Depending on how seriously you're strength training having an idea of what your one rep max is can be helpful for programming your workout to set specific goals for every single workout by having the weight lifted in the workout based on a percentage of 1RM. But I've really only seen that out of folks looking to do lifting competitions.

Sleep on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Maxing out is also just a fun way to end a training block. There's nothing quite like getting under a very heavy bar and being pretty sure that if you don't make the lift you'll die!

• Options
    I do agree and I am quite competitive about these things so I do like to push myself.

But realistically the weight on the pullups is merely a progression to one-armers. Due to where I live, I am constantly surrounded by people who remind me that I am comparatively piss weak and therefore I gotta learn to do one-armers lol

• Options
    Training during this week has been fucked, managed to squat Sunday and do a light bench workout yesterday, squatted and deadlifted again today. 3x5x385, somewhat decent on back squat. Just did 2x5x385 on deads, and 3x5 GHR 3x8 rounded zercher good mornings w/ 80# roller. Was being rushed by the baby.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    me: Maybe I'll skip my deload next week?

my lower back: [gives out doing light split squats]

me: ah! well, nevertheless,

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    in a couple weeks I'm traveling to watch my parent's house and dogs and trying to figure out what to do about workouts. like i'm sure a week of body weight stuff is fine but I'm wondering if i can get more out of it, like are those adjustable dumbells any good? I think I always just assumed they weren't that secure.

Front squat the doggos.

• Options
    jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Due to Covid I've been out of the gym for some time, and just started back up last week. Most of what I had picked up last time I started working out has dribbled out of my ears so I'm having to relearn a bunch of stuff. Given all the various workout related powders and "enhancers" out there, could y'all help me with the good/waste of money thing? Tons of info out there, but most of it's selling something therefore suspect. This came up because I was recommended BCAAs today and from what I saw in a quick search they don't look to be worthwhile?

I recall Protein good with Isolate being better due to less/no excess garbage, but that's about it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    jalok wrote: »
    Due to Covid I've been out of the gym for some time, and just started back up last week. Most of what I had picked up last time I started working out has dribbled out of my ears so I'm having to relearn a bunch of stuff. Given all the various workout related powders and "enhancers" out there, could y'all help me with the good/waste of money thing? Tons of info out there, but most of it's selling something therefore suspect. This came up because I was recommended BCAAs today and from what I saw in a quick search they don't look to be worthwhile?

I recall Protein good with Isolate being better due to less/no excess garbage, but that's about it.

Honestly if you're starting out you can avoid most of it. I've always found a bit of caffeine (like a half cup of coffee worth) is the best pre-work out. When I've been lifting heavy I took L-Glutamine and like fish oil, but the effects I felt were minor and could have been completely in my head.

You'll see way better performance just by eating right and getting plenty of rest. Now I do like eating a couple hundred calories about a half hour before I hit the gym. I don't like to lift on an empty stomach and I usually saw my performance suffer when I did, but that's me.

Now whey protein powder is fine if your looking to add more to your diet, and most of it will come with BCAAs in it already so you'll be set there.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I picked up el cheapo roller j cups from Titan. For $75 with free shipping, I am pleasantly surprised. They fit my RML perfectly and the rollers glide freely. Since I’m just using them to squat, I couldn’t justify picking up the Ghost ones, especially for almost $400 before paying for shipping. Titan wins again.

Gork on
  • Options
    I was able to do a full bench workout to my chest without pain for the first time in 5ish weeks. I hate these dumb things when they happen but every time they do I learn more about preventative maintenance for myself and that's good, I guess.

• Options
    I'm now feeling solid on 5 sets of 5 benches at 60kgs so I'm going to try and push to 65kgs and then 70kgs soon. As a short term goal sets of 5 at 70kgs would be sweet.

I did some squatting yesterday as well and I'm able to do 90kgs but didn't push past that. I need the psyche to get numbers up but I'm just happy working the form tbh. It has improved a lot though and if I got to 100 or even 110kgs that'd be cool.

• Options
    Alright I think I'm ready to start getting back under weights. I don't actually know if I am or not but I want to, so I'm gonna. Since squats are my bugbear I'm probably going to keep a box under me to be safe and just not worry about hitting like, Olympic regulation squat depth.

I'm gonna start a 4 day a week strength routine monday. I'm hoping that extra day will be enough to keep me from overtraining. I just feel like 3 days is a little too light for me, I'm so used to going all the time. I'd get antsy.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    If you've been watching lifting videos for a while you've probably seen at least one of Eric Bugenhagen's vids, he's this guy:

https://youtu.be/2SJ9HkKaxwU

We'll he's been trying to break into the WWE and the crazy bastard actually managed it:

https://youtu.be/VL6pDqVfKiU

Peen on
  • Options
    I don’t follow wrestling, but the Night Panther is a goddamn national treasure. He zercher deadlifts 600lbs, picks up his guitar and plays a Slayer solo and then does a pose down at a peacock. I would like to implement some of his parenting strategies but I think my wife would divorce me.

• Options
    I like Eric Bugenhagen because he actually looks like my favorite wrestlers: very gassed up.

• Options
    that deadlift video is hilarious and great, I love it

• Options
    Overhead press felt good earlier this week, so I hit bench today. By third working set at 275 it felt really good. Hit a back off at 10x225 and then did Juarez Valley chins and dips superset (10,1,9,2,8,3,7,4,6,5), followed by DB curls, ab rollouts, neck harness, and single arm French press.

Friday I did 3x3x440 for backsquat which felt decent, probably should have done 3x5. Then deads 1x5x374 and 2x4x440. BB lunges 4x5x154 and GHR 4x8.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Did back squats for the first time today. Kept the pins at 10 which kept me probably juuuuust above parallel and I only worked up to 3x4 at 205 lbs before I backed off. I'm making myself take it really, agonizingly slow. I don't want to to jump back in and have another blow out. Once I get a little more comfortable I'll go down a notch but I think for the foreseeable future I'm gonna need something there to catch the bar and let me bail if I need to. Even if its annoying to have to bounce off the pins I just feel a lot better about having the safety net.

Followed up with Romanian deadlifts for 3x10 at 135. Luckily my deadlift set up still felt really good even though I was only pulling 135lbs and just to get into my start position for the Romanians. I'm hoping my deadlift will bounce back really quick. If I can at least have that I'll be a little happier. Also knocked out dumbbell walking lunges which I may need to just permanently add into my rotation. They hit the glutes harder than just about anything else for me and I think that's a partial problem area. I need my butt to be strong like bull.

Had to cut it short though because I ran out of time before needing to try and get a nap in before work but man it felt good to move weights again.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Did back squats for the first time today. Kept the pins at 10 which kept me probably juuuuust above parallel and I only worked up to 3x4 at 205 lbs before I backed off. I'm making myself take it really, agonizingly slow. I don't want to to jump back in and have another blow out. Once I get a little more comfortable I'll go down a notch but I think for the foreseeable future I'm gonna need something there to catch the bar and let me bail if I need to. Even if its annoying to have to bounce off the pins I just feel a lot better about having the safety net.

Followed up with Romanian deadlifts for 3x10 at 135. Luckily my deadlift set up still felt really good even though I was only pulling 135lbs and just to get into my start position for the Romanians. I'm hoping my deadlift will bounce back really quick. If I can at least have that I'll be a little happier. Also knocked out dumbbell walking lunges which I may need to just permanently add into my rotation. They hit the glutes harder than just about anything else for me and I think that's a partial problem area. I need my butt to be strong like bull.

Had to cut it short though because I ran out of time before needing to try and get a nap in before work but man it felt good to move weights again.

FWIW I started doing sumo deadlifts lately and found them to be a lot better feeling vs regular deadlifts for my back after trying romanians in place of the regular deadlift (nothing wrong with romanians, just was doing them while my back was recovering). Might be worth a try?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Deadlifted for the first time today!

I did 140kgs buuuut my form suffered at that weight, my back was rounding. I was okay with form at 130kgs.

So I guess I need to be doing working sets of like... 115? 120? Sets of 3 or something?

• Options
    85% of 140 is 120 but why not just do 3x5 at 100-110 and increase weekly.

• Options
    That sounds like a good start, I'll do that, thanks

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, really focus on nailing that form. Weight can come later.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    That’s 3x5 working sets, you could probably squeeze in 3 warmups.

For reference, my buddy I’m training out of the garage hit 245 for 3x5 today (so roughly 120) and hit 135, 185, 215 for warmups.

• Options
    Yeah I always do warmups. With bench I do like, bar for 10, 40kgs for 5, 50kgs for 5, then my working sets at 60kgs for 5, and then finally 40kgs for 10.

So with bench I'll probably do like, a set at 70, a set or two at 90, and then my working sets at 100-110kgs to just see what's right. Probably start at 100 for a session, if that feels good, try 110, and then increase weekly.

What kind of progression should I be looking for? I like to have a good (so challenging but achievable) goal number as it motivates me. 160kgs? 180kgs?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I would say 180kg is a reasonable goal for most folks.

Take 5 kg jumps each week if they’re good lifts.

I’m very much in the camp right now of “make long progress steadily” rather than rushing shit.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    180kgs it is

I won't rush it, but that actually fits nicely. My long term goal is to 1 rep 60kgs added weight to a pullup, bench 100kgs, squat 140kgs and deadlift 180kgs, I feel like if I can do those I'm at a solid level of base general strength to apply to my sport.

• Options
    Oh and also hang about 160% of my bodyweight on the 20mm edge for at least ten seconds with fingers at half crimp. When I get to that point I'll be at the point of being able to do one armers on the hangboard which is basically the point where a lot of really hard moves in climbing become vaguely trivial because you can be on really shit feet, lock off on a single tiny handhold, and then statically reach for the next one without going anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.