As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    And now the lights and heat cut out. Great.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Do not fuck with chickadees I guess.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    So the lights are apparently staying off, heat is back on.

Nobody can see us at the tables.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    ummm, holy fuck, the other senior engineer is packing his shit up and leaving. I do not know the circumstances but it doesn't feel voluntary. Then again, maybe it is? Gah, will be dying of curiosity until he's gone and the group can get the download. Wait, it's definitely not voluntary. He would have handed in his two weeks notice and we would have heard about it then.

Crap, I might have been hired to replace him. This might also be why they were having me go to his design reviews...

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Couldn't go to work yesterday because work was closed due to weather. Was told to take my laptop home, but to not work until given direct authorization to work from home. Authorization was not communicated to me, so I spent the day fighting AT-ATs and Stormtroopers.

Today my boss told me that apparently authorization had been given, just not communicated well, so I should claim 8 hours on my timesheet, despite the fact that my boss knew I did no work.

I am ok with this.

Otherwise known as, "Oh shit, no one did any work? well, have them charge the contract anyway. not like anyone will notice a missing day of work. Better than getting my ass chewed out for the entire team charging overhead."

Except that it's super illegal if it's a govt contract.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Couldn't go to work yesterday because work was closed due to weather. Was told to take my laptop home, but to not work until given direct authorization to work from home. Authorization was not communicated to me, so I spent the day fighting AT-ATs and Stormtroopers.

Today my boss told me that apparently authorization had been given, just not communicated well, so I should claim 8 hours on my timesheet, despite the fact that my boss knew I did no work.

I am ok with this.

Otherwise known as, "Oh shit, no one did any work? well, have them charge the contract anyway. not like anyone will notice a missing day of work. Better than getting my ass chewed out for the entire team charging overhead."

Except that it's super illegal if it's a govt contract.

Actually I was logged into my computer and on the VPN anyway, just in case someone needed something. I'm just glad that I don't have to pull 11 hour days next week just so I can get a normal pay check.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    uh, several other people are gone too and this happened right after the annual performance review. Well then.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    This is my first day back at work after being off since Saturday (off for MLK day, minor dusting shut down Louisiana through last night) and they couldn't just give us Friday too, could they?

I was making some real progress on breath of the wild and my son and I are up to almost 400 moons on Mario Odyssey

• Options
    So the irony factor has been high. One of my swag things was sunglasses, and with the lights mostly out students are actually loving them.

Its hilarious. People are looking for my table to get sunglesses inside, just so just so they can be seen.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've drank so much water this morning and there are a ton of clients here and everyone is in the fucking restrooms for 1 million hours and i'm going to die

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    uh, several other people are gone too and this happened right after the annual performance review. Well then.

Opportunities for your career advancement!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Probably a range posting. 100k in CA cities is... Not as much as you think.

"40k if you have 8 roommates, 100k if you can't find a 1 bedroom with 8 roommates to share"

I just visited LA for the first time. 100k seems like it should be the minimum. That place is hella expensive.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

"40k if you have 8 roommates, 100k if you can't find a 1 bedroom with 8 roommates to share"

I just visited LA for the first time. 100k seems like it should be the minimum. That place is hella expensive.

My buddy out there will take a job if he makes 50k. But he lives with his parents still so he doesn't really have any bills and his parents have owned their house since like the 60s.

I can't believe anyone would accept a job offer like that unless they were remoting and could live out in the middle of fucking nowhere where that was affordable.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    So the plenary speaker is a bomb. But back at the tables our mascot is walking about silently doing standup. He chilled with my table for a bit, I got a hug. He got like a dozen of my stickers plastered on his uniform.

Life is way better.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The are a lot of people living in LA for a lot less than that.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Remember that sexist racist boss they removed from site?

Yeah they gave him control of a different site.

He ran around making Hitler jokes, arranged his desktop icons in to a swastika, said things by the minute that would force a Trump appointee to retire, blamed modern society on "a generation of men raised by women" and assured that we'd be better off "if we just killed the liberals" (Muslims too)

And the motherfucker got a promotion.

@Tube shit like this is why the pax thread was relieved you took the bold stance of "no Nazis at PAX"

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Clearly their salaries are being redirected to you

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Clearly their salaries are being redirected to you

i guess i'll find out when (if) I get my first raise here.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Right. I ordered a pizza. Back to playing video games.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Both projects I was waiting on information to get done gave me that data today. And I have my weekly newsletter project that I have to put out today. Oh and the other 2 are needed to be done today, too. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Goose! on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

The are a lot of people living in LA for a lot less than that.

Yeah but I'm not down with living with other people.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I've drank so much water this morning and there are a ton of clients here and everyone is in the fucking restrooms for 1 million hours and i'm going to die

Use the other restroom.

• Options
    All I can smell and taste right now is cheap cigarettes because my office is right by the back door and people have been taking a butt ton of smoke breaks today.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That would honestly be enough to make me threaten to quit, I absolutely cannot stand the smell of cigarettes.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I am a substitute high-school math teacher today, and ooooh boy do these students hate their teacher.

They fucking despise him.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    That would honestly be enough to make me threaten to quit, I absolutely cannot stand the smell of cigarettes.

it's grating on me today, usually I barely get a whiff but I think someone changed their brand of cigarette

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I am a substitute high-school math teacher today, and ooooh boy do these students hate their teacher.

They fucking despise him.

Lead a mutiny!

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    I've closed the library today so that JROTC can host part of a blood drive. They also have a van outside doing some of it. Since we are smaller than last year and the shelves have been rearranged, there is less open space to set up, hence the van.

I overheard this big red cross guy say, "Yeah because we are so overflowing with space," in a sarcastic tone and I'm thinking, fuck you dude we can just not have it in here at all if you want and I can have an open library instead. How would that be for your extra space then?

Why on earth would you host a blood drive in a library in the first place? I mean is PE really so important that they couldn’t clear out the gym for one day?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Well, today marks my final day of my first week back. I've been on a part time schedule to ease my self back into the storm, and get back on a regular schedule (at one point while on my respite from work, I was sleeping till 1p and staying up till like 4a, my schedule was wack).

My first meeting with the owner was a general outline of stuff, but I came back at the same pay and benefits I'd had before, being the highest paid employee. We went back over equity, and probably next year I'll probably sign the paperwork to become the official COO (I balked back in the day because the numbers just didn't seem right, and we couldn't agree on what "salary" meant), once we've reworked it a bit to be more clear and beneficial to me.

He wanted my reintegration to be "organic and natural", which meant he didn't do an announcement or tell everyone "Anon is Operations Manager again, and you all answer to him and he only answers to me." So I had to do all of the leg work, which included usurping responsibilities from the Sales Manager that was hired to take over as GM down the road, since the plan is that I will now essentially become GM over the next few years and the owner will retire. This was surprisingly easy. By day two everyone was coming to me with problems and questions, and the Sales Manager even commented something like: "Geeze Anon, Billy used to come to me with those kinds of things, but it sure seems like you have all the answers right away!" We had a shipping error on Wednesday that I solved in about 10 minutes, where both customers ended up thanking us and offering to pay for the redirected shipments (which we, of course, didn't make them do. It was our fault). Which, again, left the SM slightly gobsmacked. I've also been working to get him refocused on marketing and outreach. He's got amazing phone skills, and seems capable of befriending anyone. Gotta put that to use.

Since I decided to come back with a firmer hand, I hit the ground with such fury that all my one on ones are done, and new responsibilities have been detailed. I have up to $2/hr (for each person) to hand out to everyone on staff, and I decided to make it common knowledge that raises are available. Everyone now knows I'm looking for foreman, and that anyone in any shop can rise up and get more responsibility and more money. Our busy season is coming up in the next 60 days, so I have until then to re-institute all the production tracking and goal setting that fell to the side of the road when I left. Everyone is also aware that we will no longer be brokering breakfast/lunch on the clock, and overt phone use while tools are running. I decided to tell everyone that raises won't go out until the busy season is mostly over, and these new responsibilities have fully gelled. The new raises will also be contingent on the new responsibilities, and we're going to get stuff down on paper so if someone takes their foot off the gas for too long, there will be an impact. We're just too small an operation to pay a guy to be lazy and fuck off.

When I came in on Monday you couldn't hear a single tool running, and there was a lot of broom pushing. When I came in yesterday, everything was on, and parts were going on the shelf. Most everyone seems to be happy to have something to do again, and I've already received a few suggestions on how to improve speed or reduce loss.

Feels good to breath in the saw dust again.

Some folks in my family look down on my job, considering it's in manufacturing. I, honestly, couldn't be more proud of being a part of something so uniquely human. It feels raw, and essential.

Plus, I could literally wright a ship.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I found that one person. The one who lives under a rock, doesn't know anything about current events, is totally disconnected from news despite interacting with society daily.

She didn't know what Sandy Hook was. No bell to ring, no memory to jog, just complete and total "What's that?"

HOW?!

• Options
    Yo

A job is a job and it sounds like you're both good at it and doing really well in the field. I hate when people look down on jobs. We need all those jobs to keep shit running, a plumber is just as important as a doctor just in different ways.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anon you sound like an exceptional manager and boss.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've closed the library today so that JROTC can host part of a blood drive. They also have a van outside doing some of it. Since we are smaller than last year and the shelves have been rearranged, there is less open space to set up, hence the van.

I overheard this big red cross guy say, "Yeah because we are so overflowing with space," in a sarcastic tone and I'm thinking, fuck you dude we can just not have it in here at all if you want and I can have an open library instead. How would that be for your extra space then?

Why on earth would you host a blood drive in a library in the first place? I mean is PE really so important that they couldn’t clear out the gym for one day?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: It is winter and there is no where int he school to put the displaced PE classes and also they raised a huge stink the last time they got displaced for the blood drive and I'm trying to be helpful.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Regarding a possible government shutdown

• Options
    Yo

A job is a job and it sounds like you're both good at it and doing really well in the field. I hate when people look down on jobs. We need all those jobs to keep shit running, a plumber is just as important as a doctor just in different ways.

Actually yes, because sanitation saves more lives than medicine.

• Options
    I still can't stop laughing about the fact that the GOP are so disorganized and incompetent that they've barely been able to get anything done in a full year while controlling the presidency and entire legislature.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Short answer: yes

Long answer: It is winter and there is no where int he school to put the displaced PE classes and also they raised a huge stink the last time they got displaced for the blood drive and I'm trying to be helpful.

Also, you can use the blood to open some of t he more ... difficult grimoires you have hidden in the back room

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I found that one person. The one who lives under a rock, doesn't know anything about current events, is totally disconnected from news despite interacting with society daily.

She didn't know what Sandy Hook was. No bell to ring, no memory to jog, just complete and total "What's that?"

HOW?!

Whatever you do, do not remove her rock! Let her continue unburdened by the knowledge we all bear, and let us know that least one woman is at peace. So that we can wistfully dream we had her gift.

• Options
    Yo

Actually yes, because sanitation saves more lives than medicine.

It's kind of like a "society vs individual" problem. Doctors get prestige because you can very really see the benefits in your day to day when they save the lives of people around you.

Where the guy rooting around in a fat dam trying to unclog it under the street so shit doesn't backflow into the toilet probably gets looked down on because he smells like poop sometimes.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Slight slight snow this week. First day back at work after office closures and parked cars are sliding down the parking garage ramps. So. How's your Friday going

This discussion has been closed.