As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Didn't SoT launch with basically no PvE? Like PvP was the entire game. They only got around to inviting PvE players to get slaughtered later with content updates.

The game launched without the narrative-driven missions and the more advanced community-level events. The later is pretty obviously PvP (to start, there are some that are nearly impossible to do alone, if not outright impossible), the former don't (typically) require PvP (there's no mission objectives you have to get from another ship by hook or crook--but you could).

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The first of the new Tall Tales takes place in a private instance. The later ones apparently do as well?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah all of the new 'Pirates Life' Tall Tales are instanced, AFAIK, which is really nice for people like me who primarily play solo. :)
    One other thing I really like about this update is that they finally added some other mob types for players to fight, besides just a million skeletons, (and the occasional shark), a feature players have been asking for since launch in 2018.

This update even has cut-scenes:
    8e2fu6mxgpvw.jpg
    (S.S. Rainbow; sailing away into the sunset...)
    Which is neat and surprising since it's been 95% diegetic (I.E never taking control away from the player) story-telling before now.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Alright, so I discovered that the second of the new Tall Tales IS NOT instanced (but really should be) in the worst way, losing me almost two hard-won hours of progress in this massive and very obtuse puzzle cave.

This second Tall Tale is also VERY buggy, I completely gave up after the game straight up hard crashed just because two other players in the same dungeon/cave were pressing buttons at the same time, but were also ahead of me in the sequence.
    And then sometimes you'll come back to a checkpoint and a critical button/lever just fails to work, blocking any progress. And that's if you don't get randomly teleported, back to near the surface of the ocean, from 600 fathoms deep; just for having touched any of the rocks they randomly happened to have missed a clipping pass on. :bigfrown:

"Dead Men QA Testers tell no tales!" :rotate:

Zilla360 on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I should play some more, the new enemy types are a welcome addition. Still hoping they'll add a giant crab that grabs your ship and you have to fight waves of smaller crabs while and then shooting its claws/eyes with your cannons. That seems like it'd be a different sort of "giant monster at sea" experience.

Also more mermaids, good and evil.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

Good to see them acknowledging how utterly broken it currently is. I have no idea how some people (1% or so of players) have made it to the third POTC Tall Tale.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My crew managed the first one, but only after changing from a galleon to a brig, because we fell through the deck when trying to get on the galley

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    My crew managed the first one, but only after changing from a galleon to a brig, because we fell through the deck when trying to get on the galley.
    Yeah I've experienced that one too, seems to be a common bug introduced by the new update. Can also launch you miles away from your ship or into the air, only funny the first time. Only work-around for now is to switch servers, as the size of boat doesn't matter, either it won't let you get on or throw you out.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The cannon rowboat and fireworks have added a whole new level to emotionally terrorising people, letting you live the fantasy of being that one mosquito that they can't quite swat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3OIiRqExFM

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sea bog

obF2Wuw.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Captaincy is out with season 7 and players can now buy sloops, brigs, and galleons and name them.

I named my brig Ship-Faced. My friend named their brig Who Let Da Grogs Out.

https://youtu.be/ZDgCO5-sDg4

Just recently started playing SoT a bunch with friends and I'm about to hit pirate legend through hitting 50 with order of Souls, gold hoarders, and merchants.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited August 2022
    Had an eventful last two days on the Sea of Thieves.

Got sunk by a two crew sloop against our 4 crew galleon yesterday. We were very unorganized and just focusing on merchant stuff and we raised an Emissary flag knowing there was a level 5 reaper.

It was pretty embarrassing but the sloop that sunk us was a streamer and we suck at PvP.

Got pirate legend tonight.

Galleoned up again and as we were selling a big haul a sloop came up and started attacking us. I swam over to ask them to stop and they kind of just left after we kept ignoring them and just repairing and selling.

They then came back a few minutes later and attacked us again so we boarded, killed them, and then set their ship to sail away and they got krakened. After they escaped the kraken they came back to fire more cannon balls at us and this time we just sunk them. They were very clearly worse than us at PvP.

Then for the first time we did one of those red tornado world events and that was fun. Shot some fireworks with a passing sloop and went to sell. The passing sloop eventually docked to sell at the same outpost we were goofing off at so we went and said hi and talked to the sloop owner for a few minutes before they logged off.

After that we saw another player spawn in on the outpost so we rushed to the tavern and sat at the table waiting for them to load in. We all got drunk on grog and played instruments together for a bit and then we called it a night at 2am.

I'm not a fan of the PvP in the game but I really love the random fun interactions we can have with other players. A few weeks ago we got a clown sloop going and had 9 people on one sloop.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Funny enough, I logged on last night for the first time in a while. Thankfully didn't run into anybody. I vastly prefer the game without pvp.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Did more sailing yesterday. I had a forgotten gilded cargo voyage in my inventory so decided to try it. It wanted me to haul 50 crates. 50! Since I started it, I thought I'd give it a go. It felt like the timer was going to run out just loading it all up.

Made the delivery on time and with no interference! There was a storm on the edge of the seapost, so I was worried the silk might get wet. One thing was odd - I'd thrown 2 buckets on the floor of the hold to keep the plants wet, but they parched anyway.

After that was done, I went over to another port to turn in my 5 start emissary. I logged out for a few hours and then back in. Decided to haul some more goods to get to level 40 with merchants. Loaded up 10 spices and headed to Devil's Roar where the price was high. On the way a brig decided a level 1 sloop was their idea of fun. So I changed course and headed straight into a storm near thr Fort of the Damned. Circled round the island as they gave close chase. After one full circle around, I caught the wind and headed east. They decided I wasn't worth it at that point :D

I was working on doing the tall tale for the ashen dragon sails and got boarded by two players. Basically turned into 20 questions and I kept waiting for them to kill me. I eventually continued on and they wanted to join me so they stayed on my ship and just kept acting weird and it was annoying so I ended up just logging off.

Something bugged out with the commendations though and I got the sails without even completing the tall tale once and I'm pretty sure the commendation for the sails is to do all the commendations in the tall tale.

Just need the figure head for the ashen dragon and I'll have a complete ship set. Getting the books is such a pain.

You can buy keys and chests from Lianna, if you're in a pinch for either.

Ran into two issues with captaincy, one good and one bad. Apparently the saved ship customizations is bugged to where it doesn't carry over from session to session. So don't shell out any money to save customizations. But, on thr flip side, I bought a single gold hoarder captaincy voyage and it's carried over to three sessions now. Doesn't make up for the coin I dropped on saving/not saving customizations...

In multi-player news, I had about 20 minutes to kill on my lunch break so I hopped on. Started my captain voyage and got to the island for a quick couple of chests. Hopped off to take care of a mermaid statue and as I was putting the gem in position to harpoon uo, I noticed another player had stowed away on my ship. Since I only had a few minutes to play, I just quit to desktop. No point wasting more time since they were probably there to hijack. Why do people?

You can buy keys and chests from Lianna, if you're in a pinch for either.

My friends and I have been buying them every now and then to try and finish up the commendation for getting all the books but we've been unlucky with a lot of duplicates lately.

I just need tome of resurrection 5, tome of fire 2, tome of power 1, and tome of curse 4 to finish all the sets.

Also wish server hopping was easier. It is hard to find someone chill to do the party boat sword commendation with.

So I got on tonight with the goal to find someone to do the party boat sword commendation with. I sailed to the red tornado and saw a ship sailing in the opposite direction so I chased that sloop down until they stopped at an island for a voyage. They nearly sunk me but ended up listening as I asked to do the commendation.

We both ended up getting it and my friend logged on before I placed the map bundle on my captain's table and my friend got the commendation as well. The person was really cool, I helped them with the skeleton captain on the island and then sirens kept spawning and we all kept killing them. The person that helped us with the commendation ended up with 4 gems since my friend and I weren't staying on long enough to even sell the gems.

We are using the grass skirt and hat outfit from the season 7 renown and coconut with a lime on it for grog drinking and we are going full party mode.

We also had a really fun/intense PvP experience yesterday. We got on to stack the basic forts and right next to one a ghost fleet spawned and a brig was fighting it. They sunk and I guess they were heading back to do it but they decided to attack my friend and me while we were getting ready to get all the loot. We think they were just trying to get supplies but we managed to escape and turned around a few moments later cause we wanted our treasure.

They didn't seem to realize we were coming back and my friend got onto the fort and killed two of the people on there while I sailed the sloop around the fort and took shots at the brig when I could. My friend completely obliterated them from the fort with the cannons. It was an impressive display and we ended up sinking their brig. They then boarded our sloop and I took one with me to the ferry while my friend boarded and took another one out and then I respawned, killed the final player and then we repaired the ship, got all the loot and then did 3 more of these forts so we could hit Emissary 5 with the gold hoarders.

I'm really glad for the update where players can't be revived on someone else's ship anymore.

The Devil's Roar is such a rough zone to go into.

My friends and I are working on completing commendations for doing voyages there and we got sunk by a volcano as we were finishing the second to last part of a voyage. We were sailing a brig.

We then got attacked by another brig in some very heavy fog and because we had no supplies we couldn't really fight back and got sunk and we gave up on the last part of the voyage.

Kind of demoralizing but I want to finish these commendations.

Stragint wrote: »
    The Devil's Roar is such a rough zone to go into.

My friends and I are working on completing commendations for doing voyages there and we got sunk by a volcano as we were finishing the second to last part of a voyage. We were sailing a brig.

We then got attacked by another brig in some very heavy fog and because we had no supplies we couldn't really fight back and got sunk and we gave up on the last part of the voyage.

Kind of demoralizing but I want to finish these commendations.

If it's just the two of you, maybe sloop?

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I was playing yesterday and got into a game with a rando. We had picked up like 6 ashen chests and some gems and we were going to another island for our voyage and got krakened. so it was like an hour and a half for nothing. Sometimes the game is just a massive waste of time.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    I was playing yesterday and got into a game with a rando. We had picked up like 6 ashen chests and some gems and we were going to another island for our voyage and got krakened. so it was like an hour and a half for nothing. Sometimes the game is just a massive waste of time.

Totally agree, when that happens. I really hate the play sessions I get in where I spend upwards of an hour only for some bullshit to just totally wipe it all out. My play time is very limited as it is.

It's the same problem as roguelikes--the entire gameplay mechanism is based around loss of effort (since nothing else--losing a ship, being killed, etc.) carries an actual penalty. Die, respawn. Sink, respawn ship, etc.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    at least in a roguelike you usally earn some sort of meta currency that eventually you can spend on something. if you dont manage to sell your stuff because you sank, you literally get nothing. and my play time is already kind of limited, so if i waste all of it without making any progression i just get pissed off. all i want is to make enough gold so i can get my own sloop at this point. but im only at like 150k and things sell for like 600-1k, so it just takes ages.

edited August 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    at least in a roguelike you usally earn some sort of meta currency that eventually you can spend on something. if you dont manage to sell your stuff because you sank, you literally get nothing. and my play time is already kind of limited, so if i waste all of it without making any progression i just get pissed off. all i want is to make enough gold so i can get my own sloop at this point. but im only at like 150k and things sell for like 600-1k, so it just takes ages.

Sure; you do earn "meta currency", and it can never be taken away from you once you've been awarded it (not counting you actually spending it). You do have to perform the actual required tasks to actually earn it in any useful amounts, and that's when the game can metaphorically stick it to you.

(In a roguelike, the same thing can absolutely happen--you can be bad enough that you barely make any headway, or literally none at all, before the game "resets" you. This is basically me for the first several times I played Hades, when I died consistently before earning darkness because the game awarded me only perishable awards for my efforts, and a number of other games. :neutral: )

It's really not ideal at all, but it's not unique to Sea of Thieves. SoT is a harsh example, but not even the harshest one I've played (and frankly, I suck at these kind of games in general). Obviously, you can get your own sloop at any time (because the game provides it to you at no cost), so I assume what you want is the ability to customize it in a unique fashion (which is different, and is going to consume your actual time and effort).

Synthesis on
    I wish there was a way to report people. Just got into a PvP fight and the enemy players just kept screaming racial slurs at as.

I'm genuinely furious that I was sunk by some piece of shit bigots in this game.

I wish there was a way to report people. Just got into a PvP fight and the enemy players just kept screaming racial slurs at as.

I'm genuinely furious that I was sunk by some piece of shit bigots in this game.

Can't you report their names through the Xbox live service?

Can't you report their names through the Xbox live service?

I play on PC, not sure if I can do that while on PC.

The night did end up getting better.

Got my friend enough gold to buy a sloop. Got on a brig and got emissary 5 with merchants. We completed two regular skull forts. We then decided to PvP and attacked a reaper galleon that was stacking Spanish forts that looked like they were going to attack us at New Golden Sands before my friend got on the cannons at New Golden Sands and went to town on them. They ended up veering off and just going to the fort.

We sunk them in very brutal fashion and took all their loot. We then took a really long way to get to Plunder Outpost and the galleon threw up a PvP flag so we were able to track them and watch as they tried to figure out if we went to New Golden Sands or Sanctuary to sell. They then scuttled and respawned next to Plunder just after we finished selling all their loot so we ran for a bit to sell their reaper flag and then we turned on them and started fighting and sunk them again. We think it was a 3 person galleon so they were at a disadvantage but we will take our win where we can.

Doesn't Steam have some sort of mechanism to report that, along with bad behavior in general?

Xbox Live does, quite obviously, and that extends to Xbox on Windows as well as consoles (though I assume you're playing it via Steam and not Game Pass or purchased from Windows).

Synthesis wrote: »
    Doesn't Steam have some sort of mechanism to report that, along with bad behavior in general?

Xbox Live does, quite obviously, and that extends to Xbox on Windows as well as consoles (though I assume you're playing it via Steam and not Game Pass or purchased from Windows).

Yea, I'm playing through steam. I'm not sure if they have a report option for stuff like that. I've never had to report someone like that before on steam. Definitely on console though, so much on console.

edited September 2022

Yea, I'm playing through steam. I'm not sure if they have a report option for stuff like that. I've never had to report someone like that before on steam. Definitely on console though, so much on console.

If you've never encountered another player that was particularly bigoted or the like before on Steam, consider yourself particularly fortunate then. I'm pretty sure I can't say the same since around 2005, if not earlier.

Though it does bring up the issue of how cross-platform multiplayer matchmaking, lobbies, etc., complicates reporting player behavior a good bit more.

Synthesis on
    Had a pretty good community day. Played for about 10 hours straight with my friends who had been playing before I even got on. We made a ton of gold on a full crewed galleon. We spent most of the time as reapers and got a 3 ship alliance going, one was a brig that was stacking fort of the damned. My group did 4 or 5 skull forts of various difficulty, a run of Spanish forts, some coral messages in a bottle, and we made almost 4mil gold total that day.

There was one point where someone threw up reaper and attacked our allies who were stacking the fort of the damned and sunk them and stole 3 athena chests. We headed over immediately and the new reapers came at us, took down our sails and put the hurt on us but our allies came up and started unloading on them. At that point the enemy reapers started to run away towards reaper's hideout so the race was on.

We ended up catching up to them just as they got to the island and one friend launched out of a cannon onto the island and killed the first person from the enemy crew and took the athena chest they had and sold it but they ended up turning in the other two athena chests. We ended up sinking them while they were parked at reapers and one of their teammates kept yelling trash at us. That was the only PvP we experienced. The enemy reapers didn't end up coming back which was a little weird but I guess knowing that if they mess with us or the brig means the other comes to fight might have deterred them. Also successfully selling 2 of 3 stolen athena chests is a pretty good heist to end a day on.

It was a pretty relaxed day. We got reaper emissary to rank 5 twice and gold hoarders emissary to rank 5 once. I'm almost 50 with reapers and almost 75 with gold hoarders. Order and merchants are sitting at 60. Almost 40 with hunter's call now.

Successful day on the sea of thieves.

If you've never encountered another player that was particularly bigoted or the like before on Steam, consider yourself particularly fortunate then. I'm pretty sure I can't say the same since around 2005, if not earlier.

Though it does bring up the issue of how cross-platform multiplayer matchmaking, lobbies, etc., complicates reporting player behavior a good bit more.

Yea, I've been pretty lucky with online interactions on steam though I mostly only play with people I know so that has helped a lot.

Kiddo is playing again regularly with me, which makes me a happy pirate dad.

Ran into a bullshit other group though. We were running Shroudbreaker (3rd time, for the commendation). We had some storage chests we picked up and a megakeg. We're sailing to our final stop on the tall tale to drop the shroudbreaker off, when a brig breaks off its fight with a skeleton ship just to come over and harass us.

I called out with the trumpet that we were ona tall tale and had nothing of value, but they wouldn't stop. Thankfully kiddo had the wherewithal yo grab the shroudbreaker and jump ship while I drew them away. They boarded and killed me, several times. They didn't care that there was nothingness value and they didn't want to sink my ship. Just camp kill for sport. Had to scuttle and take a long trip back to pick up my crewmate. They were still anchored in our scuttle area, perhaps waiting for me to return.

What a rotten end to an otherwise fine evening. People are trash.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kiddo is playing again regularly with me, which makes me a happy pirate dad.

Ran into a bullshit other group though. We were running Shroudbreaker (3rd time, for the commendation). We had some storage chests we picked up and a megakeg. We're sailing to our final stop on the tall tale to drop the shroudbreaker off, when a brig breaks off its fight with a skeleton ship just to come over and harass us.

I called out with the trumpet that we were ona tall tale and had nothing of value, but they wouldn't stop. Thankfully kiddo had the wherewithal yo grab the shroudbreaker and jump ship while I drew them away. They boarded and killed me, several times. They didn't care that there was nothingness value and they didn't want to sink my ship. Just camp kill for sport. Had to scuttle and take a long trip back to pick up my crewmate. They were still anchored in our scuttle area, perhaps waiting for me to return.

What a rotten end to an otherwise fine evening. People are trash.

This is why I stopped playing the game.

I loved pretty much everything about it but as you said, people are trash.

Season 9 just started and there have been some really nice QOL updates. I think my favorite is that the harpoon not automatically places treasure on the ship so you don't need someone to grab it off the harpoon anymore.

Also a new chest that can currently only be acquired by doing a fort of fortune and is connected to a new cosmetic ship set.

Season 9 just started and there have been some really nice QOL updates. I think my favorite is that the harpoon not automatically places treasure on the ship so you don't need someone to grab it off the harpoon anymore.

Also a new chest that can currently only be acquired by doing a fort of fortune and is connected to a new cosmetic ship set.

The Sovereigns harpoon does the same. If you have a captains ship, its SOOOO much faster to load and unload now.

MuddBudd wrote: »

The Sovereigns harpoon does the same. If you have a captains ship, its SOOOO much faster to load and unload now.

Yea, it is pretty awesome. I'm really digging it.

My friends and I really need to get better with pvp though. Got sunk twice tonight on our brig by a brig both times. We didn't even come close to winning either fight though the first one we were trying to alliance with them instead of fight them but they weren't having none of that.

edited March 2023
    I has story!

Played a bit today with some friends who hadn't played in a long while, plus one noobie friend of ours. We started doing Legend of the Veil and got the first veil stone, but messed up and forgot to raise Athenas emissary. We were being a bit cautious because there was a reaper at FOTD with like, three reapers chests sitting there too. But as we went back towards the outpost debating whether we felt like raising a flag and risking them seeing us... the Reapers disappeared from the map. And then a few minutes later as we were approaching the port, the FOTD ended.

Interesting...

So we sold what little loot we'd already had, raised Reapers, and headed to FOTD all the way from Galleons Grave. Clearly SOMETHING had gone wrong with their forting, so maybe we could grab something! And lo and behold, we got there to no ships parked, a logbook in the water, and the vault OPEN. One of their crew was on the island as well but we killed them quick, and scrambled to load as much loot as we could onto the ship. We got a stronghold keg (which comes in handy shortly), a reapers chest, two reapers bounties, and a bunch of other chests. As we finished loading we saw a brig approaching at full speed and we BOOKED it, shooting them as we passed them with the wind at our back, and one of our crew hitting them with the stronghold keg.

They managed not to sink, but it slowed them down enough for us to get to Reapers, sell the really good shit and the logbook, and drop our flag (which had become lvl 5 basically instantly as we loaded up). They sank us shortly thereafter but honestly only because we bothered to stop to try to sell more stuff. Also we were laughing too hard at how we'd sniped them. It took them so long to come back with their ship and we must have ruined a good 2 hours of work on their part. I think they may have recovered a few mediocre chests from that. But it was late and we logged after that since there was no way to top that experience. As I logged off I saw them sail back from Reapers at lvl 1 Emissary again, and they started another FOTD.

The wildest part is the new player who had literally just completed the tutorial, ended up getting a bunch of Athenas and Reapers rep in the wildest theft any of us had pulled off in game. What a first session!

MuddBudd on
    edited March 2023
    My friends and I managed to get our first chest of fortune tonight. Didn't get bothered the whole time and the fort of fortune went really fast with just 3 of us.

We then sailed from the fort just above Galleon's Grave all the way down to Mermaid's Hideaway to do an ashen winds event.

I'm almost 75 with the season pass now and I have mostly just been leveling off of soloing ashen winds events since they are so easy now.

Stragint on