Options

[Steam] Thread: Games, games, and more games - all the games!!!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    It's Rift day for me! Super excited. Installed Steam VR last night.

Never to be heard from again, as Mr Grinch spends the remainder of their time in VR,

His pupils grew three sizes that day.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Most of my childhood-defining games are still good. But then, I was a Super Nintendo kid, born in 1988. Yoshi's Island or Terranigma are still super good games and I'll replay them anytime!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I was playing this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokotoni_Wilf

And that is genuinely the first time I've seen the cover for it (don't judge me for being a young pirate, I've mended my ways). I had no idea I was an angel, on the c64 I thought I was a postman with a flying sack full of letters.

Also this:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/gumshoe_ which was awesome because it had slides in first person.

Finally this was and still is one of my favourite games:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_II:_Torture_Trouble

A violent puzzle platformer where you had to figure out how to save your fluffy friends from horrible and graphic fates.

Now I'm all nostalgic!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Finished Mankind Divided last week. I guess I got a bad ending because I missed some secrets and didn't realize there was a timed section at the end. Whatever, I played the game to be all sneaky shooty not to be captain 100%. I might leave it installed because it has New Game +.

I figure next I'll try to finish Trails in the Sky which I'm like 70% of the way through. It's been a fine game, but I wish there was more to the combat and the amount dialog gets overwhelming sometimes. Like I think I've had sessions where I didn't even get to a battle, just ran around and clicked through dialog trying to check off side quests. It scratches the JRPG itch well enough though.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Late 80s for me was Where In The U.S. Is Carmen Sandiego, Wheel of Fortune on CGA, and 688 Hunter Killer (where I was always so impatient for the game to start that I'd inevitably torpedo my own ships).

Question: if you purchase from http://www.chrono.gg, do they provide you with Steam codes or something different? Also, can said codes be gifted?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    I'm still stuck on chapter 3 of Hotline Miami. Looked up a video walkthrough and all I got from it was I suck and I'm too slow.

I find besides fucking up the controls I seem to be missing something as sometimes I throw a knife and it kills a dude, sometimes I throw and it just bounces off them and they knock out which throws my plan out the window.

Sometimes when I knock someone out and hit space it goes to do the finisher but other times I seem to hold them as a shield, so I know I must be doing something different to trigger that.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Man what, I finally balanced the backlog sheets and then this happens.

64kppgf7opc9.png

Dangit @CroakerBC now I have to play more games! *huff* Fine.

Balancing... Backlogs? Surely there must be a rule against that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    On PC in 1988, I was probably playing whatever quest games I or my friends had such as Space Quest 1 or 2, King's Quest 1 or 2, Zaxxon, Space Invaders, Wheel of Fortune and Family Feud. I don't remember where I got half those games but those are the ones I remember on the 5 1/4 floppies. Good time.
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Question: if you purchase from chrono.gg, do they provide you with Steam codes or something different? Also, can said codes be gifted?

I've only bought something from them once but I seem to recall it being sent as a Steam key. I suppose there might be some regional restrictions on whatever key you receive but more likely than not, it can be redeemed by anyone.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Over a recent holiday, me and my brother played a bunch of stuff on the SNES Classic and got our asses kicked (Mostly Super Contra) Then we just reverted to the actual way we played games growing up, and that was him playing FF6 and me watching him play.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    TIE fighter 98 from gog functions well enough on moderns systems if you have stick.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I couldn't get it working on my machine. I ended up refunding it.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    There was some talk about it and why selling slaves may make you a bad person/good entrepreneur in the past couple months, but now is a great time to pick up Rebel Galaxy at $4.
    Spoit wrote: »

64kppgf7opc9.png

Dangit CroakerBC now I have to play more games! *huff* Fine.

Some of us try slaying the beast instead of just feeding it. :smile:

Karoz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Over a recent holiday, me and my brother played a bunch of stuff on the SNES Classic and got our asses kicked (Mostly Super Contra) Then we just reverted to the actual way we played games growing up, and that was him playing FF6 and me watching him play.

Next week my roommate and his family will be here. I'm looking forward to watching the kids (age 11 & 13) play the SNES Classic again. Last time they were here, they made it to the third world in Super Mario World.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There was some talk about it and why selling slaves may make you a bad person/good entrepreneur in the past couple months, but now is a great time to pick up Rebel Galaxy at $4.

64kppgf7opc9.png

I serve my master well and will be rewarded.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Lucky looser get, next weekend, i'll get the last one.

edit: Was talking about Huniepop.....huh, this type of game seems like it would go good with a hive queen trope.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    I'm still stuck on chapter 3 of Hotline Miami. Looked up a video walkthrough and all I got from it was I suck and I'm too slow.

I find besides fucking up the controls I seem to be missing something as sometimes I throw a knife and it kills a dude, sometimes I throw and it just bounces off them and they knock out which throws my plan out the window.

Sometimes when I knock someone out and hit space it goes to do the finisher but other times I seem to hold them as a shield, so I know I must be doing something different to trigger that.

Part 1: impacting point-first versus hilt-first makes a difference. Mostly random in practice.

Part 2: the hostage grab should only be happening when you have a one-handed firearm and your enemy has been knocked down.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So apparently Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3 are getting (or already got?) remastered versions coming to Steam that are free if you already own those titles.

Interesting... but seems weird to me.

I'll have to check when I get home to see if I own those. I know I have a bunch of Tomb Raider games. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So apparently Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3 are getting (or already got?) remastered versions coming to Steam that are free if you already own those titles.

I'll have to check when I get home to see if I own those. I know I have a bunch of Tomb Raider games. :D

They're not remastered, they're just source ports, as far as I'm aware. It's like running Ultimate Doom through GZDOOM.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

They're not remastered, they're just source ports, as far as I'm aware. It's like running Ultimate Doom through GZDOOM.

Potato-potato

• Options
    Okay, well, the news articles I read all say "remaster" so whatever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    When I got old I discovered all the games of my youth are crap. I tried breaking out Ultima1 ( the 1986 remake) a few weeks ago and what I remember of a huge world to explore turned out to be a grind of going back and forth between every shrine to max out my stats. I quit once I got to space.

The really odd thing was that I remember how tedious I thought space was in 1988! So why did I keep playing it then?? Maybe because 12 year olds have better patience for boredom, or perhaps limitless free time. (Or both.)

When I was 12 I could play Moonlander or Pac-man or those janky old Atari games endlessly. I played a ton of Raiders of the Lost Ark despite never knowing what to do and being terrible at it. I tried doing some retro gaming a couple years ago on my old PowerMac..6500? Something? It was still running OS 7.5.5 or something. Ancient computer in a really bulky but nice looking tower case. I fired up Doom and realized there was no mouse support which wouldn't have been so bad but it wasn't using WASD and it wouldn't let me remap the keys. I tried Civ2 next. That didn't go well. I tried playing Marathon which was a precursor to Halo. I loved that game back in the day but looking back now the graphics are just....ugh. And as much as I loved X-Wing and Tie-Fighter back in the day there's no way I'm going to play them now. I still remember how terrible some of those old missions are(I used to be a Rebel pilot like you until I had to scan one too many bulk freighters before they warped out).

Then I had the idea of hooking up my old Commodore 64(which lemme tell you seeing the Commodore bootup screen on a modern 19" monitor is kind of hilarious). Anyways, I tried firing up some of my old rpg games. Couldn't do it. The disk drive(which drove me nuts even when it was contemporary) was unbearably slow. I'm thinking it's time to find my C64 stuff a new home. There are plenty of emulators now if I ever want to revisit some of those games(not likely given my Steam backlog!).

Speaking of old games I was looking at the release dates for a few of my old favorites. X-Wing, Wing Commander, Star Control, and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat came out in the early 90s. I thought I was a bit younger when those came out. Now I'm trying to remember what exactly I was playing in the 80s. I guess Atari and Texas Instruments(and later NES/SNES and the C64) and the occasional trip to the arcade.
    Funny that not long after, this is posted:

@Poketpixie , have you tried playing Doom through something like GZDoom on your normal computer? Mouse support, redefineable controls so you can WASD, HD resolutions; configurable up the wazoo, as they say. The actual game itself is still a ton of fun and this way you don't have to retrain yourself to its original control scheme, you can just kick back and enjoy it.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

I think I have the first one. I hope that they have included controller support.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm a huge fan of the original Doom, but I couldn't imagine playing it today without all the bells and whistles a source port can provide.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ... and now I own Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3.

Thanks @HiT BiT for monstering up the place.

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Question: if you purchase from http://www.chrono.gg, do they provide you with Steam codes or something different? Also, can said codes be gifted?

They provide keys to do with as you wish

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular

64kppgf7opc9.png

That's like a single carpenter ant trying to take down a suburban sprawl.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    When I got old I discovered all the games of my youth are crap. I tried breaking out Ultima1 ( the 1986 remake) a few weeks ago and what I remember of a huge world to explore turned out to be a grind of going back and forth between every shrine to max out my stats. I quit once I got to space.

The really odd thing was that I remember how tedious I thought space was in 1988! So why did I keep playing it then?? Maybe because 12 year olds have better patience for boredom, or perhaps limitless free time. (Or both.)

You had a higher tolerance for a lot of the dumb jank that video games had at the time because that's all there was at the time - that was your whole frame of reference for what good gameplay was.

While it was running, Yahtzee and Gabe's Let's Drown Out series covered some old adventure games, including a few notorious Sierra ones. The ending of Space Quest 3 (wherein the plot was hidden in an optional minigame whose message required an optional in-game item to decipher) prompted this exchange between the duo:
    Gabe: Space Quest 3 is depressingly bad. 'cause now I'm going back in my head, I was like, "Aw, I love Sierra adventure games." It's like, wait, did I?

Yahtzee: Did you? Did you really?

Gabe: Or was it just because it was literally the only game I had on my PC at the time? Was it just like "Ah, I'll play game." It's my favorite 'cause it fuckin' exists.

That was basically my experience, only swap in King's Quest. KQ5 seemed amazing back in the day, and I thought it was just the coolest thing ever that it even got an NES port. By chance I avoided getting screwed by that one puzzle with the wolves and the food, where you have two options and one of them you need for later. Cut to trying again a few years later, where I wound up guessing wrong and saving myself into a dead end. Much shouting ensued and I walked away, wiser and more bitter.

Some games either did not stand the test of time, or were kinda rubbish even then but at that age I was basically "LIGHTS ON A SCREEN AND FUNNY DEATH ANIMATIONS WOOOOOOO"

(Quest for Glory is still awesome though, I'll go to my grave with fond memories of it.)

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yeah. Quest for Glory really does seem like the Sierra series that actually survives the nostalgia bloom. I did a replay a few months ago, really fun walk through memory lane, and without any of the infamous "oh look, you did the obvious thing that SHOULD work and now you're dead" from other Sierra games.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    New Wolfenstein II DLC is out. I fully expect it to be of the same quality as the previous two.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Try stabbing it with steely knives.

The Tomb Raider stuff sounded exciting, but after some investigation it looks like they're just trying to release their mobile ports on Steam as mods for the currently existing TR games sold there. It's not a remaster, videogame "journalists" are just doofuses. You can already play the classic Tomb Raider games with modern resolutions thanks to mods, but since currently existing mods use the original game engine as a base you're still limited to a 30fps cap (thanks, 1996). If they release their iOS versions as mods that use the game data from the Steam version of the first 3 TR games than that would mean 60fps gameplay would be possible, which would be pretty cool. Hopefully the ports are configurable though, because the gameplay footage I saw would look really great if the lightbloom wasn't cranked up to 11.

It's nice that there are more options for playing the classic TR games, for a long time the easiest way to get Tomb Raider running on the PC with high resolutions and controller support was to emulate the PS1 version. You'd get the goofy texture warping due to the weird way the PS1's GPU handled perspective texture mapping as well as seaming issues but on the upside you'd get the console version soundtrack that the PC version lacked as well as savestates.

The classic games are available on the Google Play Store for $0.99 a piece, and although I was tempted to see how well they run I think I'd rather chew my own dick off than play classic TR with touch controls.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    @Scratchy lulled me into a false sense of security with chatting about various horror games only to get me with Darkwood! Thanks dude, I hear this game is awesome.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

64kppgf7opc9.png

I could do it if they didn't keep popping out of the ground!

k6nckdko89su.png

Thanks/Bad @Spoit ! Another one on the pile of evil backloggery!

Karoz on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    So @Scratchy tried to hit me with the double sneak attack of Hollow Knight and Resident Evil 7! I didn't accept RE7 because I already own it on PS4.

AND THEN WHILE I WAS TYPING THIS HE HIT ME WITH CUPHEAD!

Thank you!

Also, I just got back to work this week. All ya'll are in trouble soon lol

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    KDf0bsS.png

I was ambushed by @Scratchy whilst playing ESO!

Thanks for Fear Effect Sedna! This looks pretty neat! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    FE1 (fear effect one) PE1(Parasite Eve 1)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Yeah. Quest for Glory really does seem like the Sierra series that actually survives the nostalgia bloom. I did a replay a few months ago, really fun walk through memory lane, and without any of the infamous "oh look, you did the obvious thing that SHOULD work and now you're dead" from other Sierra games.

Yeah, what I liked most, besides character importing, was how many puzzles were more skills-based than reliant on specific items. You still needed to do the usual adventure game stuff, but it felt more like an RPG, where some problems had multiple solutions based on how you'd trained your character. So many things could be solved just by chucking rocks at it, it was great.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Quest for Glory games have you guys tried Heroine's Quest? It's a great homage to the series and actually improves upon the genre.

It's free on Steam.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

I could do it if they didn't keep popping out of the ground!

Thanks/Bad @Spoit ! Another one on the pile of evil backloggery!

Should probably block out that key even if you've already redeemed it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Quest for Glory games have you guys tried Heroine's Quest? It's a great homage to the series and actually improves upon the genre.

It's free on Steam.

Yep, put another marble in the jar for Heroine's Quest. Really liked it and it's demon-possessed squirrel

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Y'all are instigators. Try as hard as @karoz might, I'll never believe in the heart of the cards!
    5YinWep.jpg
    I guess I can slay some spires though.

Thanks <3

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.