Options

[Steam] Thread: Games, games, and more games - all the games!!!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    discrider wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Coffey wrote: »
    The last boss in Jotun made me irrationally angry to the point that I gave up on the game.

Then I made it to the last boss on Steamworld Dig 2 and gave up on her as well.

Now I've been playing Saints Row 3, which I'm digging more than 4.

I feel like when I was a kid, those games wouldn't have been any trouble for me. I used to blow through games like Megaman and similar titles... but I guess my motor skills are just worse or I can't react like I used to. I dunno. Made me feel dumb.

After finally getting a new PC I tried going back to my old haunt - online FPS. Tried Counter Strike, which I used to play pretty hard, and I just can't do it anymore. Tried Overwatch, same result. Getting old sucks.

When does this happen?
    It happened to me slowly across my 30s.

I beat MegaMan 9. By MM10 I couldn't finish the final castle. I haven't beat a single boss in MNo9.

In my early/mid30s I beat pretty much all of Borderlands games and dlc, (including the final broken piece of hot garbage boss of Big Game Hunt). It only seems like a few years ago. I recently played through Claptasic Voyage (the only major dlc I hadn't touched yet) and have pretty much noped out at the final boss. I don't have patience for a bullet sponge that gets full shield regen mid fight.

Then there was the Overwatch free weekend. I had a great time the first night. Was close to buying it. Fortunately the free weekend went on long enough for me to get wrecked quickly, repeatedly, and relentlessly.
    vtg5dibb3eia.jpg

I mostly play Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes (and recently started playing Mario Run) on my phone.

I have to take in to account I have a 6 week old, but I turn 40 this year and earlier this week found my self day dreaming of having the time to repaly Mass Effect in my retirement.

d3boxkdimdeg.jpeg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is that what the comic looks like now?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's still quite possible to play through those tougher bits, at least in the old school 2D single player types of games. It mainly takes patience and practice, the former of which I personally feel I've lost a lot of as I've gotten older. OK, and my reflexes aren't what they were, but I don't think those matter as much as we think (but they do need to be overcome!).

Just recently I've been watching Dan and Vinny from Giant Bomb play through Contra: Hard Corps for the Sega Genesis, which is notoriously difficult. On Friday, they finally made it to the last level on their 17th attempt, and I could easily see them beating the game next week. Dan is in his early 30s, but Vinny is roughly my age, so it's inspired me to give a similar game on my Xbox 360 another chance.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is that what the comic looks like now?

It changes every year as Mike gets bored and tries new styles of drawing the characters.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    If you're getting bad at SP games, I wouldn't blame it on age. It sounds like you're getting burnt out. Those don't change. You're battling the game. The more you play a level or boss you're struggling with, the better you'll get even if you don't feel like it.

MP games though, yeah, I can't keep up much anymore. Maybe my reflexes are getting worse, but I know I just don't have the time to learn maps, strategies, weapons, etc. like I used to and playing against people that do have that time just doesn't work for me. Games like Splatoon and TF2 help me scratch that multiplayer itch though because I can contribute to my team in other ways than just headshots, kills, or KD ratio.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    When I got old I discovered all the games of my youth are crap. I tried breaking out Ultima1 ( the 1986 remake) a few weeks ago and what I remember of a huge world to explore turned out to be a grind of going back and forth between every shrine to max out my stats. I quit once I got to space.

The really odd thing was that I remember how tedious I thought space was in 1988! So why did I keep playing it then?? Maybe because 12 year olds have better patience for boredom, or perhaps limitless free time. (Or both.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    When I got old I discovered all the games of my youth are crap. I tried breaking out Ultima1 ( the 1986 remake) a few weeks ago and what I remember of a huge world to explore turned out to be a grind of going back and forth between every shrine to max out my stats. I quit once I got to space.

The really odd thing was that I remember how tedious I thought space was in 1988! So why did I keep playing it then?? Maybe because 12 year olds have better patience for boredom, or perhaps limitless free time. (Or both.)

Or back in 88 we only had a choice of about 10 games? :wink:
    I'm exaggerating for effect, folks.
    It was more like 15.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Brace for it...

This wasn't at all ominous

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Going for another achievement in Huniepop, 3 women without upgrading traits.

Ya know, these games would be a lot more palatable for some people if they were called women instead of girls.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Kalnaur wrote: »

It was more like 15.

Hmm that's a good question. How many did I have in 1988?
    1. Ultima 1
    2. Ultima 2
    3. Ultima 3
    4. King's Quest 2
    5. Space Quest 1
    5. Janitjoe
    6. Sopwith 2
    7. Advent
    8. Zork1
    9. Zork2
    10. Zork3
    11. Beyond Zork
    12. Defender of the Crown
    13. Sailing in the Bermuda triangle
    14. International Bridge Contractors

Jeez, I can't even get to 15. Unless you count how I messed around with the A-Plus graphics editor.

Edit: oh wait, there was this 3d shareware game that was like Pac Man, but I forget what it was called. It was probably made in 85 or 86.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Brace for it...

This wasn't at all ominous

My timing is off but.... Keep bracing.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

It was more like 15.

Hmm that's a good question. How many did I have in 1988?
    1. Ultima 1
    2. Ultima 2
    3. Ultima 3
    4. King's Quest 2
    5. Space Quest 1
    5. Janitjoe
    6. Sopwith 2
    7. Advent
    8. Zork1
    9. Zork2
    10. Zork3
    11. Beyond Zork
    12. Defender of the Crown
    13. Sailing in the Bermuda triangle
    14. International Bridge Contractors

Jeez, I can't even get to 15. Unless you count how I messed around with the A-Plus graphics editor.

Edit: oh wait, there was this 3d shareware game that was like Pac Man, but I forget what it was called. It was probably made in 85 or 86.

Sopwith was fuckin' great. I played that a lot as a kid, and I remember it even being regularly played when I was a senior in high school ('94-'95) because our PCs in our computer classes weren't very powerful and also lacked hard drives. Another great game for its time was Chopper Commando 2:
    https://youtu.be/_bJtXVv290w

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    1988? It was all about Carrier Command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JypAf87c5t8

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    1988 was all about Test Drive.

• Options
    Due to platform limitations, Test Drive sort of passed me by until 1989's The Duel: Test Drive II.

1988 also gave us the fantastic Chase HQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IiFe1r4FQ

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain a lot lately, and let me tell you, D-Dog sure does like run directly into explosives.

Also doing the "Extract the Wandering Mother Base Soldiers" side ops are ezpz if you just get near one of them and equip a cardboard box. The soldier will recognize you as being Big Boss and won't run away.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    1988 was all about Test DriveWasteland!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    1988 was all about Test DriveWasteland!

I had a friend who played that on the school computers but he never let me have a try. The only time he did he wanted me to keep hitting the spacebar to heal up his team outside Base Cochise. It was very boring, but I felt honored.

• Options

I watched my little brother play through that game on the Genesis, although from my understanding that version is a bit different from the PC version. It had a pretty cool twist in its story, though! I have it on GOG and its sequel and keep meaning to try out those versions.

• Options
    I believe I was playing Super Mario Bros 3 and Adventure Island?

I mean, all of my game playing up until 98 was on a console (excluding a few games on the computer my friend had), and then it was still mainly console on at least a generational gap of one until 2013.

This is, for the most part, why my expectations of what PC gaming should feel like is more closely aligned with how console gaming felt.

• Options
    Why am I playing Huniepop on normal for an achievement?

• Options

Because why not. :)

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, '88 for me was Wasteland, OG Bard's Tale, the Ancient Art of War, and a ton of Infocom text adventures. My sister and I spent a lot of time figuring out some of the detective-y ones, and I was particularly fond of the Lurking Horror; later tried to make the map for it in Duke3D's build engine. So many puzzles that I bumbled through, finding the many ways to die until I finally got it right, it was great.

In recent stuff, finally getting around to trying out the Vagrant. You could easily convince me this is a Vanillaware title, and I say that as someone that's never played their stuff - fanservicey as hell, but nonetheless gorgeous, well animated, and fun to play. There's something more to it though; typos notwithstanding (I am choosing to believe that 'antitode' is intentional) there's a strange quality to the presentation that's growing on me. It's charming without being cheerful, but neither is it dour, moving too quickly to linger on darker moments for long. It has a storybook quality to an otherwise fairly sparse story, and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it :+1:

Speaking of which, back to breaking open people's pots and boxes and selling the stuff I find back to the owners. A time-honored practice of adventurers everywhere!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    OOoooh Ancient Art of War AT SEA. That was the other game I had in 1988. 16!

• Options
    *Me, looking through my sniper scope in Fallout 4*

"Wow, that place is pretty well defended. Fence all around, guard stations, turrets, I'll have to . . . wait. Wait a minute. That's my place. That's one of my own damn settlements."

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Completed Subnautica!

I had started it up in February but put it on hold to finish the Backlog stretch goals from the winter gale.

Great gameplay, superb music, sound design, and visuals, an engaging story and fun mechanics. A nice dollop of humor as well that made exploring the depths simultaneously fascinating and terrifying. Really recommend it to any survival fans and keep an eye out for time campsules.

Only hiccup was near the end that a fetch quest just felt like it lacked real direction and so I puttered around the map for an hour looking for the last piece I needed.

Still not enough to sabotage the joy of this game.

Thanks again to @Antoshka for this gift!

Pictures, minor spoilers, both from early access and release:
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024%3A640&composite-to=*,*%7C1024%3A640&background-color=black

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024%3A576&composite-to=*,*%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024%3A576&composite-to=*,*%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Karoz on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    OOoooh Ancient Art of War AT SEA. That was the other game I had in 1988. 16!

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

You answered yourself?

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Starflight I and II are the games I keep hoping someone will remake. Like No Man’s Sky, but with a plot, diplomacy, trading and humour.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    1988 for me was mostly NES based as I don't think I got my first pc until the following year (prior to that I had a C64). However I did play a ton of KQIV The Perils of Rosella at my cousin's house.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    It's Rift day for me! Super excited. Installed Steam VR last night.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has been doing Let's Plays/Reviews of kinda niche (and often early access) horror games if that's anyone's cup of tea. Most of them are off Steam, though a few are from Game Jolt. She also has some more main stream stuff on there, but the play throughs and reviews of horror games are becoming her focus lately.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTXMqD5Rx56GePToQpzDRfw/videos

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

12 year olds have no preconception of what good and decent are.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options

12 year olds have no preconception of what good and decent are.

That's true, perhaps it's more a sense of loss then that I can no longer feel the wonder and excitement at exploring the simple tilesets of Ultima 1 that I did at 12.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

You had a higher tolerance for a lot of the dumb jank that video games had at the time because that's all there was at the time - that was your whole frame of reference for what good gameplay was.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Man what, I finally balanced the backlog sheets and then this happens.

64kppgf7opc9.png

Dangit @CroakerBC now I have to play more games! *huff* Fine.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

When I was 12 I could play Moonlander or Pac-man or those janky old Atari games endlessly. I played a ton of Raiders of the Lost Ark despite never knowing what to do and being terrible at it. I tried doing some retro gaming a couple years ago on my old PowerMac..6500? Something? It was still running OS 7.5.5 or something. Ancient computer in a really bulky but nice looking tower case. I fired up Doom and realized there was no mouse support which wouldn't have been so bad but it wasn't using WASD and it wouldn't let me remap the keys. I tried Civ2 next. That didn't go well. I tried playing Marathon which was a precursor to Halo. I loved that game back in the day but looking back now the graphics are just....ugh. And as much as I loved X-Wing and Tie-Fighter back in the day there's no way I'm going to play them now. I still remember how terrible some of those old missions are(I used to be a Rebel pilot like you until I had to scan one too many bulk freighters before they warped out).

Then I had the idea of hooking up my old Commodore 64(which lemme tell you seeing the Commodore bootup screen on a modern 19" monitor is kind of hilarious). Anyways, I tried firing up some of my old rpg games. Couldn't do it. The disk drive(which drove me nuts even when it was contemporary) was unbearably slow. I'm thinking it's time to find my C64 stuff a new home. There are plenty of emulators now if I ever want to revisit some of those games(not likely given my Steam backlog!).

Speaking of old games I was looking at the release dates for a few of my old favorites. X-Wing, Wing Commander, Star Control, and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat came out in the early 90s. I thought I was a bit younger when those came out. Now I'm trying to remember what exactly I was playing in the 80s. I guess Atari and Texas Instruments(and later NES/SNES and the C64) and the occasional trip to the arcade.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    It's Rift day for me! Super excited. Installed Steam VR last night.

Never to be heard from again, as Mr Grinch spends the remainder of their time in VR,

This discussion has been closed.