As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I was doing pretty well with a shiv deck..had two copies of the power that added damage to shiv, and two of the cards that gave you block and 2 shivs, and the card that turns all your cards into upgraded shivs.

Then i got a random relic...snecko eye.

That goddamn snecko eye.....

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of getting a singleton leg sweep on the silent. Between upgrading it and neutralize, it's normally trivial to keep an enemy permanently locked down with the weakened state. It's also a nice card to clone with burst.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I was doing pretty well with a shiv deck..had two copies of the power that added damage to shiv, and two of the cards that gave you block and 2 shivs, and the card that turns all your cards into upgraded shivs.

How did you randomly get it? It's a boss relic, it shouldn't appear in any event or shop or normal chest.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

How did you randomly get it? It's a boss relic, it shouldn't appear in any event or shop or normal chest.

Maybe the "Gain 3 relics, gain 3 curses" relic?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »

Maybe the "Gain 3 relics, gain 3 curses" relic?

You still have to choose to pick those up, don't you?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Random relic is like Jaxx addict or other ? things.

I don't remember if you get to not pick it up.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Got near the boss on floor 2 on Ascension 2. The last ? before the final rest area spawns triple blue bird guys.

6x3, 12x3, 18x3 and I'm dead. :(

Are the enemies that spawn in ? areas stronger than usual? They feel like Elites.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Got near the boss on floor 2 on Ascension 2. The last ? before the final rest area spawns triple blue bird guys.

6x3, 12x3, 18x3 and I'm dead. :(

Are the enemies that spawn in ? areas stronger than usual? They feel like Elites.

I agree so much, yes!

Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    jworu necklace best relic

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I routinely have my runs ended by the knight and healer and the cannibal plant. Birds you can kinda juggle because they lose two turns if you hit them three times.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I've never had knight & healer mess me up that badly, but plant and mutant pear are such a pain.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Birds have a lot of hard counters, multi-hit cards, weakness or disarm, reflective damage.

But If you don't have any of those, they can be really rough.

• Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified, it was the 3 blue cultists guys holding scythes. Power up on turn 1 then non-stop attacks. I was running a poison focused deck and couldn't kill them fast enough.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stabby book has fucked me up a few times.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah if my build doesn't have much burst that's a tough fight to clear

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Stabby book has fucked me up a few times.

Yeah but that's an elite. Floor 2's regular fights are mini-elites, is what we're getting it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Floor 2's fights are just straight up regular elites, there's like no difference in their difficulty.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Floor 2's fights are just straight up regular elites, there's like no difference in their difficulty.

Naw, that's not quite true. Elites can outright kill you, the regular fights will just put you in unwinnable positions.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    For the silent you are looking to remove your strikes and add 2 damage cards as soon as possible to take on elites. If you don't have something you will get fucked by lagavulin or nob. Good options are...

1) Noxious Fumes (you don't need a poison build, just this.)
    2) Heel Strike (Always take this)
    3) Poison Strike (11 damage!)
    4) Infinite Blades
    5) Caltrops (seriously)

If you don't have the damage, don't take on elites.

After that, you need some defense (footwork) and after that you pretty much will always win.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Knight and Healer is easy to get in a healing loop by just focusing the Knight down first. Pkus he doesn't get angry if he dies first.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's counterintuitive because you're trained to always go after the Healer first, but the fight is just a drawn-out fight of attrition if you kill the Knight first. If you try going the other way around it takes just as long, if not longer, and you run the risk of the Knight blowing you up.

• Options
    I've been doing fine killing the healer first, but maybe I was just lucky drawing into most of my block on the knight's big swings.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I've been doing fine killing the healer first, but maybe I was just lucky drawing into most of my block on the knight's big swings.

I used to do that due to video game training, and it's doable, just a bunch easier the other way

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The Knight attacks more and gains a double hit if he's alone. If the healer is still alive, he'll waste turns giving it block.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ok this might be the strongest deck I've ever made. I had 14 cards, 5 of them are powers, 2 were madness. I also had an sundial, enchiridian, a monkey paw and an expertise+.

Easiest turn 1 infinite deck. I'm on a streak of 3 turn 1 infinite runs in a row.
    l3n1malafafi.jpg
    1kdkbnspklu2.jpg

Yep, I have 38 AP on turn 1 in that picture.

furbat on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Ascendant exhaust thinking: The Deck Was Only Holding Me Back

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Ascendant snecko eye thinking: The Thinking Was Only Holding Me Back

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    BRVRuvi.jpg

lol this deck. i killed a giant head in one turn.

got a bouncing flask and a catalyst like 5 spaces in and was just all aboard the poison train.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Ascension level 2 with the Silent beaten! I came up with a brilliant strategy...

...swap my starting Relic to obtain the Velvet Choker and take Pandora's Box after the first boss. Replace all my Blocks and Strikes? Sure, why the fuck not. Let's see what could possibly happen...

u6n6q3f5tej5.png

The final boss was the Awakened and it wasn't even close. x3 Footworks and x3 Blurs meant having an absurd amount of Block that carried over between turns. I could usually dig through the deck fast enough to get another Blur to continue the chain. Apotheosis was sold by the 2nd merchant and made not having to upgrade at camps viable. Not that it mattered since I wasn't taking much damage anyway.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    heh, just lost a pretty good run in the 3rd area because my deck that was 80% draw and block drew no draws and no blocks and i got lit up for like 60 damage in a single turn.

that sucked a whole lot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    If I had to pick a single card that if seen early will result in a win for silent, it would be noxious fumes. After that, it would be footwork.

Noxious fumes found on floor 1 will allow you to delete everything from your deck while you build up for the end game. Once upgraded it does 3,5,7,9... damage a turn to everything. For one AP it will do more damage than you need. It also makes poison strike silly. You can then focus entirely on defense or a draw engine.

All of the powers are OP for silent. Infinite blades does 4 damage a turn for 1 ap. That 1 ap turn 1 or 2 is going to give you like 32+ damage. And once cast, they remove themselves from your deck making your other turns more consistent.

Picking up non essential cards bogs your deck down. But with powers you can just grab whatever if it will help your deck in the short term.

furbat on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Powers are inherently riskier with Silent, as it’s a trade early in the fight between being able to block effectively and pull off the powers. Not perfectly blocking when you can will slowly chip away your health, even if the rest of said fight is easier.

Well, in theory. Silent has some crazy cheap block generation.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I mean not really. Typically the powers cost as much ap as a strike and are infinitely better. So there isnt must opportunity cost to using them. If you have to spend all your ap on blocks each turn, you are gonna lose. Instead of using a strike, instead spend 1 ap to cast noxious fumes or footwork or infinite blades or caltrops. In three of those cases you ultimately do way more damage and in the other case you can use more of you ap attcking on future turns. The other good powers upgraxe to cost 0 ap.

furbat on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    If I had to pick a single card that if seen early will result in a win for silent, it would be noxious fumes. After that, it would be footwork.

Noxious fumes found on floor 1 will allow you to delete everything from your deck while you build up for the end game. Once upgraded it does 3,5,7,9... damage a turn to everything. For one AP it will do more damage than you need. It also makes poison strike silly. You can then focus entirely on defense or a draw engine.

All of the powers are OP for silent. Infinite blades does 4 damage a turn for 1 ap. That 1 ap turn 1 or 2 is going to give you like 32+ damage. And once cast, they remove themselves from your deck making your other turns more consistent.

Picking up non essential cards bogs your deck down. But with powers you can just grab whatever if it will help your deck in the short term.

I do not find this to be true on higher Ascensions. Enemies simply do too much damage, too quickly. You'll take way too much damage if you're waiting for Noxious Fumes to kill an enemy.

I've only managed to beat Ascension 8 (on to 9!) with explosive decks that consistently murder end-floor 2 and floor 3 enemies in at most 3 turns. An Exhaust Ironclad deck can hit block cap while using free Body Slams to finish enemies. A Catalyst-Poison deck can generate 50+ poison on an enemy in the opening turn. Noxious Fumes at best puts 3-6 poison on an enemy by turn 3, Infinite Blades generates 2 Shivs by turn 3. IMHO, neither are good building blocks for beating Ascension 7+.

• Options
    That doesn't sound super fun. Whats the point of a deckbuilder if you're only building to the same kind of deck every time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I have seen streamers beat Ascension 15 with a huge variety of decks, so it's definitely possible. I have not reached that myself, so can't say how easy it would be for us common folks :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Girya + JAXX + Thunderclap + Energy potion + Whirlwind + Necronomicon = turn 2 D&D kill on Ascension 5. I wonder if they nerf Whirlwind at some point, it's a bit too good IMO.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I have seen streamers beat Ascension 15 with a huge variety of decks, so it's definitely possible. I have not reached that myself, so can't say how easy it would be for us common folks :P

Sure but I bet they had either explosive offensive or defensive generation. Multiplier effects are pretty much necessary on higher ascensions, or some way to go virtually infinite. I got a sweet deck to crush ascension 9 that abused the top plus multiple concentrates to generate infinite energy and card draw turn 1 consistently by the end of floor 2.

My “normal” decks that are not abusive in some way are too underpowered to survive the higher ascension enemies. IMHO, viable and dominant strategies change drastically as the ascension level increases.

• Options
    That seems reasonable. Ive done ascension level 1 and that's it. For me, I just want to beat the game 100% of the time, not max out ascension levels. I suspect the mechanics of the game dont hold up well at that point making most of the discussion here moot.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Got two nice wins in a row today. The first was an Ironclad who lived the Searing Blow + Necronomicon dream. The second was a Silent who got All The Powers and killed everything with chip damage. (The boss was the Unawakened because of course it was. I thought the strength went away at the phase change and almost killed myself.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650