As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Got two nice wins in a row today. The first was an Ironclad who lived the Searing Blow + Necronomicon dream. The second was a Silent who got All The Powers and killed everything with chip damage. (The boss was the Unawakened because of course it was. I thought the strength went away at the phase change and almost killed myself.)

The "gains strength when you play Powers" goes away, but not the actual strength :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    The 3rd character hype is real. I feel it burning within me.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    furbat wrote: »
    The 3rd character hype is real. I feel it burning within me.

I feel it too

but...

I am dialing back my expectations. Deckbuilders of all stripes traditionally suffer a sort of expansion-pack ennui.

Ditto early access gems.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Nemesis nerfed in the latest patch today. Isn't Immune 2 turns in a row, just an On/Off rotation.

Also, fuck enemies hitting for 20+ on level 2. I feel like I'm forced into defensive builds. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I didn't have an infinite deck, but I did end up with a 12 card hyper draw deck. I had the you draw 3 on taking damage relic, a couple free extra draw colorless and battle trance. Removed all my strikes and some block. Had 2 rampage. I could draw more than my whole deck every turn so some turns I'd play rampage more than once.

I wrecked until the final boss. Time dude.

GG game.

Maybe if I'd ever gotten more than 3 energy I could have won.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Nemesis nerfed in the latest patch today. Isn't Immune 2 turns in a row, just an On/Off rotation.

Also, fuck enemies hitting for 20+ on level 2. I feel like I'm forced into defensive builds. :(

Thank fuck. Nemesis was the one enemy that I felt was genuinely imbalanced, not just hard.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    That seems reasonable. Ive done ascension level 1 and that's it. For me, I just want to beat the game 100% of the time, not max out ascension levels. I suspect the mechanics of the game dont hold up well at that point making most of the discussion here moot.

The mechanics hold up in a reasonable way as long as you're willing to play by the rules, which are a bit more restrictive than the base game. And at level 15 you kind of have to accept you'll lose a fourth to a third of your games with little control over the outcome. That's pretty high but whatever it's supposed to progress into an unfair game for masochists.

I think around Ascension 7 or 8 is where things started to get a bit too punishing and it warps how I play to a point where it's not getting more fun the higher it goes. It's not at the point where it's not fun at all, and I'll finish out Ascension 15 on both classes just to do it, but I will probably settle at about level 5 after that for playing casually and assembling degenerate garbage decks.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

Or builds that vaporize them turn 1 :) best defense is an insane offense

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Thank fuck. Nemesis was the one enemy that I felt was genuinely imbalanced, not just hard.
    I totally forgot Nemesis existed. I must have blocked it out out of sheer terror. I think I even one-shotted one on the Searing Blow Ironclad and managed not to recognize it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Hm, was Nemesis actually nerfed though? He did that weenie 5x3 attack then the 40 attack, so if he's just hitting 40 every other turn them he was buffed, especially cos you could stack poison on him while he idled. E: Read patch notes and there's a 2 turn cooldown on Scythe so it might be easier. Not sure though, that turn where he didn't do anything was nice.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Every time I get a good run in, I face a boss I've already beaten. WTB Ascension mode without RNG please.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    It's unlocked after any 5 successful runs now!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My ascension 10+ wins on silent have all revolved around getting an extra energy somehow and leaning hard into momentum style cards like dash predator glass knife backstab flying knee die die die etc

With backflip and blurs for survival

Kill them before they kill you and if it takes a few turns, ramp the hell out of your energy

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Just picked up this game since it was cheap and looked very fun when my brother showed it to me, got to the third world on my first run. Demon Form is pretty strong when it gets rolling.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Just picked up this game since it was cheap and looked very fun when my brother showed it to me, got to the third world on my first run. Demon Form is pretty strong when it gets rolling.

Welcome :) This game is insanely deep so you're in for a great, great ride.

Also, hype train for third class. I am close to finishing Ascension 15 on Silent (barely derped past Ascension 12 with a discard deck that got lucky relics for energy generation to win via infinite draw loops with wraith form) so moar cont3nt n0w

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Have they said anything about the third class yet?

• Options

Demon Form is one of my favorite cards. I just love the inevitability of higher and higher numbers :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’ve watched a bunch of LPs of this. And I still kinda want it. So what the hell, guess I’ll grab it.

Never been a fan of getting “early access” but official releases have gotten so blurry I don’t even know what they mean anymore. Seems like this game has enough going on that it’s worth giving a spin.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I’ve watched a bunch of LPs of this. And I still kinda want it. So what the hell, guess I’ll grab it.

Never been a fan of getting “early access” but official releases have gotten so blurry I don’t even know what they mean anymore. Seems like this game has enough going on that it’s worth giving a spin.

I don't think I've ever played other "early access" games, but this one at least is very polished and very deep as-is. When playing it, you never get the feeling that this is not a completed game imo.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

I don't think I've ever played other "early access" games, but this one at least is very polished and very deep as-is. When playing it, you never get the feeling that this is not a completed game imo.

Yeah, it's a great game as is, worth way more than the purchase price IMHO. It's only going to get better over time, so it's worth getting in on the ground floor.

My brother isn't a huge fan of roguelikes, but he is so hooked that he got his boss playing it. So maybe StS is going to cripple the productivity of a major private trust, but like............gotta grind higher Ascensions............

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Man, I had a ridiculously fun deck going last night, with three Outmaneuvere+ by the first boss. My damage was a little low, but I had also had Tools of the Trade, so I was pretty much doing pretty well.

And then I got the Slime Boss, and the wounds just started piling up...

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

There's absolutely zero risk to buying an EA game if you take some time to watch a few videos/streams and see what state it's actually in.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

There's absolutely zero risk to buying an EA game if you take some time to watch a few videos/streams and see what state it's actually in.

There's really no need to do that. Just see what game they put out last year and assume they updated the rosters or added some new maps/guns.

Oh wait...you mean Early Access. My bad. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

The risk for me is that I'll get my fill of it while it's in EA and never come back for the finished product, so I tend to play only EA games that are really polished already (Slay the Spire), or I play a little to see if I like it and set it aside until it's done (They Are Billions, Dead Cells).

• Options
    Ascension level 3 complete!

ga8r6vdnxmqz.png

MVP cards: Whirlwind and Flame Barrier
    Honorable Mention cards: Heavy Blade and Reaper
    MVP Relics: Anchor and Orichalcum
    MVP Event: Ancient Writings (all Strikes/Defends upgraded)

Cruised through the second half of the 2nd floor and the entirety of the 3rd floor. Flame Barrier is such a strong defensive tool. Carried me a lot. Reaper kept me topped off to the point I didn't have to rest at any camps allowing me to upgrade every card in the deck.

But the biggest surprise of the run was my stupidity. I was doing this run late last night and was tired. Late on the first floor, I ran into a Merchant and purchased a card removal. Being tired, I got confused and thought it was an upgrade...and ended up throwing out my copy of Barricade. :O

Thought for sure I was dead after that since I had drafted Flame Barrier and was looking to make a defensive build. Goes to show how decks can be fluid and change to something better later on. Lucky me!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ascension level 3 complete w/The Silent!

iku5mvj866cb.png

MVP cards: Apotheosis
    Honorable Mention cards: Footworks and Blurs
    MVP Relics: Letter Opener and Sneko Skull
    MVP Event: Merchant selling Apotheosis

This run started with a Starting Relic swap for a Boss Relic and getting the Bell. 3 Curses really screwed me hard early on. Seriously though I was dead by floor 2 when the first enemy brought me down to 30% health. Fortunately the next space was a ? revealing the library and healing me for 23 HP. WHEW!

I had some decent cards built up, but couldn't upgrade but a few from all the damage I was taking. I managed to discard all my curses via merchants and was stabilizing a bit. Then I got the book event, decided I could afford the HP, and got he perma-curse. Sigh...

Managed to survive the Champion using potions and Footwork to stay ahead of his damage output. Floor 3 started with a nearby Merchant who sold...APOTHEOSIS! FUCK YES! RUN SAVED!

Seriously, even bad cards when upgraded can turn a run around. Floor 3 was EZPZ after that. Got the Time Lord and Apotheosis in my opening hand. Wiped him the fuck out. When a simple defend is granting 17 Block, it's really hard to lose. Noxious Flames combos with the Sneko Skull resulting in 4 Poison/turn. It was glorious.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I finally got the Exhaust deck to work. I'd tried a few times, but got lucky this time and managed to pick up a lot of important pieces pretty early on; for my game-start bonus I got Dark Embrace as my random rare, picked up an early Exhume, Infernal Blade, and eventually nabbed Feel No Pains and Panache from the merchant, but the real all-star was Corruption. By the end I barely needed any attacks, I won most of the battles by cycling through my deck and letting Panache kill everyone, or building up a huge block and Body Slamming. It was like playing Storm in Magic but with a bunch of different win conditions. I think for the Act 2 and Act 3 bosses I ended up finishing them off by emptying my deck and going infinite with Flash of Steel/Dropkick, though that took a lot of clicking.

• Options
    Nemesis is still really strong. I thought he had to take a turn to apply intangible last time, but now it happens automatically. So every other turn, you do no damage, and he chunks you for 20-40 damage every single turn with no break.

Steam profile
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Last two times I faced nemesis, I killed him on turn 1. By the time you face nemesis, your deck is probably op as shit anyway. It's the early game that's hard.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Right now my current run is with the Silent, I did the "swap your starter for a boss relic" option and I got... the Snecko Eye. I also got the Bag of Preparation pretty early on. I'm on the third floor and it's a nail-biter every fight, but Bullet Time+Nightmare can make for some amazing combos, especially with Envenom, Noxious Fumes, Footwork and Catalyst in my deck. I beat the Champion by the skin of my teeth by building up some poison then hitting him with 4 Catalysts in a row.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Silent with ice cream, a bunch a block cards and Malaise is real rude to final bosses

-50 strength is a real beauty

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    First deck I built was this unkillable block monster, got to the third level on my first run before I died somehow. But it was pretty great, I went untouched in the level 2 boss fight, and ended that fight with over 100 block. That was pretty neat.

Nothing else has come close. I’ve just been having a lot of trouble keeping my hp up, which forces me to heal at campfires, which means I’m not upgrading cards, and eventually I run into some elite that can just wear me out and kill me.

• Options
    First deck I built was this unkillable block monster, got to the third level on my first run before I died somehow. But it was pretty great, I went untouched in the level 2 boss fight, and ended that fight with over 100 block. That was pretty neat.

Nothing else has come close. I’ve just been having a lot of trouble keeping my hp up, which forces me to heal at campfires, which means I’m not upgrading cards, and eventually I run into some elite that can just wear me out and kill me.

You could still be healing too much, you don't need full hp or need it. Just need to not be dead, anything else is extra :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Get cards to start a shiv/block deck early and run with it. Wind up getting Kunai and Calipers almost back to back. I probably could have played the boss a lot faster than I did, I waited a while to use any powers against the Awakened One but all throughout the third floor I took only twenty damage, all of which was at the boss.

Because of how long I slow played it for I actually had ended up with I think twenty four dex on the final hit. If gaining thirty per block card wouldn't be enough I also had double Mirror Images waiting to be used.

butts
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

You could still be healing too much, you don't need full hp or need it. Just need to not be dead, anything else is extra :P

The moment you drop below healable-to-full hp levels, you will 100% receive the "Start each turn with 1 extra energy if you're on full hp" relic.

Every time.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

The moment you drop below healable-to-full hp levels, you will 100% receive the "Start each turn with 1 extra energy if you're on full hp" relic.

Every time.

That relic is pure 100% trolling.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Pre-ascension I had that relic do a lot of work for me. Both as Ironclad who could heal back to full, and Silent who could avoid damage because of the extra energy. Now in ascension it's asking a little much.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Finally broke through ascension 5. Not healing to full after bosses required a total rework of my play style. My goal before was always to kill the first floor boss as close to 1 hp as I could get. Greeding every upgrade and elite fight I could find.

Drop 50% of my starting HP to get the kettle-bell, and grab the other +1 str trinket. 2 sword boomerangs and 2 limit breaks later, and I'm killing the time keeper on turn 3.

9ateokf3xrcy.png

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

Every time.

That relic is pure 100% trolling.

I got that relic when I was at about 1/3 health, and the very next ? room was the vampire offering to turn me.

Couple of fights full of bites later I was enjoying that full HP extra energy every turn.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Came so close to beating the game with a poison silent deck, but I just didn't have the defenses to hang out in the boss's second form.

Made a hilarious whirlwind deck after that, which should have gotten a lot further than it did, but I'm tired and fucked up some stuff on the second boss.