Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There are plenty that will happily kill you on turn 2 or 3 if you don't play any defensive cards.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I usually try and hunt 1-2 Elites on the first floor for some Relics, but man do I hate seeing the big red demon dude. That's just a guaranteed 30-40 health loss.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I usually try and hunt 1-2 Elites on the first floor for some Relics, but man do I hate seeing the big red demon dude. That's just a guaranteed 30-40 health loss.

But on the flipside, if you know you have at least so much health, there are no surprises. You will beat him :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Lagavullin is worse if you run into him early.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lagavullin is worse if you run into him early.

Yeah if you hit him before you've done some real deckbuilding he will just kill you, he's vastly overtuned.

• Options
    Ascension level 5 defeated with Ironclad!

rh8442v1cwna.png

MVP cards: Perfected Strike and Pommel Strike
    Honorable Mention cards: Intimidate (Not shown)
    MVP Relics: All of them
    MVP Event: Merchant (Orochilum)

This run started after a disastrous Strength run that died out early on the 3rd floor. My deck got too big and greedy causing me to not get key cards I needed. At the very start of this run, I was offered a free Relic which ended up being the Bowl. I ignored a ton of cards to increase my max HP, which allowed me to be more aggressive.

I hadn't planned on this being a Power deck until my second card offered was Heavy Blade. Figured, what the hell, let's do this. Ended up not getting much value from it, although a few big hits did wipe out some enemies...thanks to Pen Nib.

In fact, every Relic I got was absolutely perfect for what I was trying to do on this run. Healing every turn, more max HP, extra Energy, x2 damage, starting Block, every turn Block, and extra card draw. Like, it was perfectly tuned to allow me to be super aggressive. Even that upgrade Relic was great, giving my 2 remaining defends the extra 8 Block I needed to deal with the Spiky/Exploding enemies.

**PROTIP: If you last-hit (final kill to end the fight) a Spiky or Exploding enemy, you don't take counter damage.**

Having a small deck meant shuffling through it really fast. I had a very Camp friendly route which allowed me to upgrade almost every card. Normally I don't like Bash for what it does, but it's upgrade is really strong. 3 Vulnerables meant free Drop Kicks which meant more cycle. Pretty sweet! Perfected Strikes were baseline 33 damage or 66 when Pen Nib was active. Timing them with Double tap was devastating.

Not sure if I could pull off a Strength deck like this again without the perfect storm of Relics I had this run.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yo so what's the strat for that Bronze Automaton motherfucker? I'll be doing well, collecting loot and upgrading cards, and this asshole pops up and uses his Gyarados bullshit and then I die. I'll tank it like once or twice but eventually eat it due to attrition, because I'm bad.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Find myself suffering more as Ironclad than Silent. Mostly because Silent has better cycle to deal with dud hands, where Ironclad gets reamed

I feel my luck with dead hands is somewhat of an outlier

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    If you're hitting his super laser more than once/twice in a non-defensive deck, that is probably not a deck that will make it to the end (assuming non-ascension, etc.)

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Okay, so the death explodey damage resolves before Reaper heals.

Noted. :?

Still haven't beaten this with Ironclad, but I can now, at least, get to the third area.

I still say the Silent is way easier and the lot of you are using witchcraft.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yo so what's the strat for that Bronze Automaton motherfucker? I'll be doing well, collecting loot and upgrading cards, and this asshole pops up and uses his Gyarados bullshit and then I die. I'll tank it like once or twice but eventually eat it due to attrition, because I'm bad.

Each of the second level bosses, including Automaton, represents a pretty significant deck check. Without more detail about your deck or your gameplay decision-making it's hard to know exactly what to say, but its hyper beam attack is predictable. Make sure you make it a priority to thin weak cards out of your deck. You're not going to beat the second level bosses with many regular strikes and defends clogging up your deck.

• Options
    hush wrote: »
    If you're hitting his super laser more than once/twice in a non-defensive deck, that is probably not a deck that will make it to the end (assuming non-ascension, etc.)

Yeah, you need to be faster, too many iterations of the Hyper Beam will destroy most decks. Ramp faster, or burst him down.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    So close to perfection, argh!

30ms3jy1i0yu.jpg

Had a bad starting hand on boss 2 so my infinite stalled out when Neutralize came up again. Final boss was Timekeeper who got killed in two turns, lol.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    You killed Time Keeper in <24 cards? That seems impressive!

Looking at your cards, yeah, I see it. That's a gross deck haha.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    So close to perfection, argh!

30ms3jy1i0yu.jpg

Had a bad starting hand on boss 2 so my infinite stalled out when Neutralize came up again. Final boss was Timekeeper who got killed in two turns, lol.

That deck...

hnnnnggg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about card removal being so powerful in this game. I almost wish you could just start with, say, one fewer strike/block each. And maybe you could even choose a single common/rare card from a given starter set instead of always getting Neutralize/Bash/whatever.

It's one of those things where I feel like it is so mandatory that it is no longer a meaningful gameplay decision, and instead just becomes a game-knowledge check.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I wish bash was a better card, it would make early ironclad games more interesting.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    I wish bash was a better card, it would make early ironclad games more interesting.

I feel like it should be a good card, but I often find myself wishing I didn't have it :(. I've tried upgrading it recently, and that helps a bit? But eh.

As I've mentioned though, pretty sure I'm a better Silent player than Ironclad, so what do I know :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about card removal being so powerful in this game. I almost wish you could just start with, say, one fewer strike/block each. And maybe you could even choose a single common/rare card from a given starter set instead of always getting Neutralize/Bash/whatever.

It's one of those things where I feel like it is so mandatory that it is no longer a meaningful gameplay decision, and instead just becomes a game-knowledge check.

I think it only really matters if you're trying for something very specific, I have definitely lost a lot of runs I could have done better if I'd just taken some good cards offered that didn't fit with what I was going for. Here's one of my early wins:

p6a6t79eoor0.jpg

Everything including the kitchen sink, even a Normality curse, haha.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    In my opinion if they added 2 damage to Bash by default (10 Damage + 2 Vulnerable) and then carried that over into the upgrade (to make it 12 Damage + 3 Vulnerable), it would be a decent card. But as it stands, it costs too much in the early game to be useful, and by the time you can actually use it regularly later, you had to have kept it in your deck as a near-dead draw for way too long (and then upgraded it to boot).

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Budgeting a Vulnerability card for damage makes no sense because its damage can't even benefit from its own debuff. Even a lowly Strike is going to be more energy-efficient after the debuff goes off.

And Trip is two vulnerability for zero energy. You're paying 2 energy for just the eight damage. It's horrible.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Budgeting a Vulnerability card for damage makes no sense because its damage can't even benefit from its own debuff. Even a lowly Strike is going to be more energy-efficient after the debuff goes off.

And Trip is two vulnerability for zero energy. You're paying 2 energy for just the eight damage. It's horrible.

Well, there's a premium for having multiple effects on the same card, as that's also a resource. It's still not good though imo.

Steam profile
  • Options
    u363jr0w92cb.jpg

This deck wreeeeeeeeeecked. Turns out Bash and Reaper with Necronomicon is just nutso, especially once you get the double Enflame/Limit Break combo running. Ice Cream/Runic Pyramid is also a really sweet combo, especially with only Sunflower for extra energy.

• Options
    Oh also Armaments is arguably the best Ironclad card once upgraded.

• Options
    I feel like everything is good with Necronomicon. I'm still waiting to get it sometime :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I think Armaments is a trap, but I usually end up with either Apotheosis or upgrading most of the cards I care about.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I think Armaments is a trap, but I usually end up with either Apotheosis or upgrading most of the cards I care about.

Apotheosis is hard to find, often.

Upgraded Armaments is really nice still imo. Not every deck, but a lot.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    kime wrote: »
    I feel like everything is good with Necronomicon. I'm still waiting to get it sometime :P

I keep wanting to play with the other books but literally every time I get that event it's Necronomicon.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    I've had some runs where I got rid of Bash first. It's that bad without an upgrade. But let's be honest, you've probably got better targets for upgrades as the game goes on.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've had some runs where I got rid of Bash first. It's that bad without an upgrade. But let's be honest, you've probably got better targets for upgrades as the game goes on.

I still get rid of Strikes first, but maybe I should do that.... Once you get 4 mana (or 5!), I feel like it's more playable. It's just so rough before that.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'll hold onto Strikes in case of finding Perfected Strike early on. But yeah, Strikes/Defends usually go first.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'll hold onto Strikes in case of finding Perfected Strike early on. But yeah, Strikes/Defends usually go first.

I've never actually done a Perfected Strike deck. I should try it sometime.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I end up doing that and then get the vampire event.

Characters
  • Options

I have insane luck with the Vampire event. I can't recall the last time I got the event and didn't get the Blood Vial beforehand.

But yeah, the last time this happened, I had already gotten rid of all but 1 upgraded Strike, which meant taking the Bites would've significantly diluted my deck.

womp womp

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Depending on your build bash + defend is a solid turn because it sets you up for huge damage next turn. Trip is double vuln, sure, but you have to find it in a shop, have the money to buy it, and not want to buy something else more. The only other source of double vuln in Ironclad I can think of is upgraded Uppercut, which is certainly better than Bash, but requires first finding that particular uncommon and then upgrading it. If I want to get +50% damage on my Perfected Strike (which is huge value, since it already hits for a million), Bash is the only reliable option.

But yeah, there's definitely been runs where I've gotten rid of Bash first thing. Particularly if you get an early Shuriken/Kunai/Ornamental Fan where you don't want to be spending two mana on anything. Certainly I wouldn't complain about buffing it, adding two damage would just make it more usable and that'd be fine, but I think the design intent behind Bash being so much weaker than Neutralize on average is that it evens out Flaming Blood being so much stronger than Snake Ring on average.

This is a hard problem because this isn't something inherent to this game, it's inherent to the genre. Dominion is a similar dynamic deck builder and barring certain circumstances (cards that specifically reward you for having a large deck, etc) you always want a smaller deck, so that you draw your best cards more often. MTG has a minimum card limit people (almost) never go beyond because you want the smallest deck possible, for the same reasons. If you cut one strike and one defend by default from the starting deck, the play pattern won't change because you'll still want to remove the rest of your strikes and defends so you only draw the better cards you pick up along the way. It'll just give you a little head start on that, which could still be a valid change for making the game a little bit easier/more fun (because you draw your fun cards more often), but it's not really going to change the value equation on removing cards in general.

One thing to potentially make it more of a decision would be to add more big-deck payoffs like Perfected Strike and Mind Blast, so that there's enough of a reason to outweigh the benefits smaller decks have.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I have insane luck with the Vampire event. I can't recall the last time I got the event and didn't get the Blood Vial beforehand.

But yeah, the last time this happened, I had already gotten rid of all but 1 upgraded Strike, which meant taking the Bites would've significantly diluted my deck.

womp womp

That's the main reason I often skip the vampire event, yeah.

Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    [snip]

This deck wreeeeeeeeeecked. Turns out Bash and Reaper with Necronomicon is just nutso, especially once you get the double Enflame/Limit Break combo running. Ice Cream/Runic Pyramid is also a really sweet combo, especially with only Sunflower for extra energy.

Aww, you didn't even mention the 3x Metallicize+ in this deck. That's my dream.

Basically all my favorite cards are the cards that gain you block without just saying "Gain x Block" (Metallicize, Rage, Feel No Pain, After Image, etc).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Only ever draft 1 copy. It does suck a little if you it and Apotheosis, but I can get Armaments basically every run and Apotheosis like 1 in 5, maybe, so I think it's definitely worth drafting a singleton of it. Sure, you're doing important upgrades to other cards anyway, but increasing the throughput of filler cards still increases effectiveness.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    [snip]

Aww, you didn't even mention the 3x Metallicize+ in this deck. That's my dream.

Basically all my favorite cards are the cards that gain you block without just saying "Gain x Block" (Metallicize, Rage, Feel No Pain, After Image, etc).

Yeah, same. I've started drafting Feel No Pain even when I'm not doing Exhaust because it works so well with Dazed effects or something like True Grit+.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Ironclad Ascension 12 done. Got an early branch and rode exhaust to victory.

l77o7mqq5h7b.png

Edit: First take showed the cards I got from branch, this one should show my starting cards.

sanstodo on