Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ah, I missed it, guess I'll have to go back and find that bit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it.

Bangladesh is probably having an alright day with this right now.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I like this little video - I know it's probably mostly propaganda, but I just love the enthusiasm <3

• Options
    Does anyone have a timestamp for the orbital adjustment explanation?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Second stage restart and SECO-2 successful, final GTO orbit achieved!

• Options
    Payload successfully deployed to its target orbit, 1st stage standing tall on OCISLY, total mission success! :D

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    What happens to the second stage?

• Options
    What happens to the second stage?

For GTO launches, not a whole lot! Unlike low earth orbit launches, the second stage doesn't have the battery power necessary to perform a retrofire and deorbit itself, so instead it will let the atmosphere do the work for it!

It's perigee (lowest altitude in its orbit) is still quite low, so it shouldn't take too long for the atmosphere to drag 'er down and burn it up :)

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    A flawless launch the other day, still as spectacular to watch as ever.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/spacexs-block-5-rocket-passes-its-first-test-but-final-exams-remain/
    “We are going to be very rigorous in taking this rocket apart and confirming our design assumptions to be confident that is indeed able to be reused without taking [it] apart,” Musk said. “Ironically, we need to take it apart to confirm it does not need to be taken apart.”
    :lol:
    Completely understandable, but still, LOL rocket engineering.
    I have this odd mental image of a googly-eyed (and comic-book style) block 5 pleading "WHY!? No disassemble! I was good rocket!" :)

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Some more test results for the EM Drive. From what I can understand, the results are inconclusive, so more testing is required.
    Propellantless propulsion is believed to be the best option for interstellar travel. However, photon rockets or solar sails have thrusts so low that maybe only nano-scaled spacecraft may reach the next star within our lifetime using very high-power laser beams. Following into the footsteps of earlier breakthrough propulsion programs, we are investigating different concepts based on non-classical/revolutionary propulsion ideas that claim to be at least an order of magnitude more efficient in producing thrust compared to photon rockets. Our intention is to develop an excellent research infrastructure to test new ideas and measure thrusts and/or artefacts with high confidence to determine if a concept works and if it does how to scale it up. At present, we are focusing on two possible revolutionary concepts: The EMDrive and the Mach-Effect Thruster. The first concept uses microwaves in a truncated cone-shaped cavity that is claimed to produce thrust. Although it is not clear on which theoretical basis this can work, several experimental tests have been reported in the literature, which warrants a closer examination. The second concept is believed to generate mass fluctuations in a piezo-crystal stack that creates non-zero time-averaged thrusts. Here we are reporting first results of our improved thrust balance as well as EMDrive and Mach-Effect thruster models. Special attention is given to the investigation and identification of error sources that cause false thrust signals. Our results show that the magnetic interaction from not sufficiently shielded cables or thrusters are a major factor that needs to be taken into account for proper µN thrust measurements for these type of devices.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Mach effect, sounds more like...mass effect.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So, first leg of my vacation road trip was to Kennedy Space Center today. They did a really good job with Atlantis. And apparently I am much more of a softie than I thought I was because there were a couple times when there was definitely something in my eye. I'll definitely have to take a trip up when a launch happens.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    If you are within like, 1-2 hours of the Cape, it's definitely worth it to go once. There is nothing at all like experiencing a rocket launch from "shake you down to your core" distance.

When I lived in Orlando, we'd try to go over if we could, but otherwise we'd just go up on the roof at work and watch the launch from there. Very little is cooler than knowing that there is a rocket launching 50+ miles away because you can see it's trail climbing off to the east

• Options
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Some more test results for the EM Drive. From what I can understand, the results are inconclusive, so more testing is required.
    Propellantless propulsion is believed to be the best option for interstellar travel. However, photon rockets or solar sails have thrusts so low that maybe only nano-scaled spacecraft may reach the next star within our lifetime using very high-power laser beams. Following into the footsteps of earlier breakthrough propulsion programs, we are investigating different concepts based on non-classical/revolutionary propulsion ideas that claim to be at least an order of magnitude more efficient in producing thrust compared to photon rockets. Our intention is to develop an excellent research infrastructure to test new ideas and measure thrusts and/or artefacts with high confidence to determine if a concept works and if it does how to scale it up. At present, we are focusing on two possible revolutionary concepts: The EMDrive and the Mach-Effect Thruster. The first concept uses microwaves in a truncated cone-shaped cavity that is claimed to produce thrust. Although it is not clear on which theoretical basis this can work, several experimental tests have been reported in the literature, which warrants a closer examination. The second concept is believed to generate mass fluctuations in a piezo-crystal stack that creates non-zero time-averaged thrusts. Here we are reporting first results of our improved thrust balance as well as EMDrive and Mach-Effect thruster models. Special attention is given to the investigation and identification of error sources that cause false thrust signals. Our results show that the magnetic interaction from not sufficiently shielded cables or thrusters are a major factor that needs to be taken into account for proper µN thrust measurements for these type of devices.

I disagree with the spin here.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/nasas-em-drive-is-a-magnetic-wtf-thruster/
    And the winner is… Physics, without much doubt. Even with a power of just a couple of Watts, the EM-drive generates thrust in the expected direction (e.g., the torsion bar twists in the right direction). If you reverse the direction of the thruster, the balance swings back the other way: the thrust is reversed. Unfortunately, the EM drive also generates the thrust when the thruster is directed so that it cannot produce a torque on the balance (e.g., the null test also produces thrust). And likewise, that “thrust” reverses when you reverse the direction of the thruster.

The best part is that the results are the same when the attenuator is put into the circuit. In this case, there is basically no radiation in the microwave cavity, yet the WTF-thruster thrusts on.

So, where does the force come from? The Earth’s magnetic field, most likely. The cables that carry the current to the microwave amplifier run along the arm of the torsion bar. Although the cable is shielded, it is not perfect (because the researchers did not have enough mu metal). The current in the cable experiences a force due to the Earth’s magnetic field that is precisely perpendicular to the torsion bar. And, depending on the orientation of the thruster, the direction of the current will reverse and the force will reverse. The researchers made some calculations, based on the location of the experiment and the amplifier current, and got a torque that agreed quite well with the measured torque.

This is, of course, not the final word. But it is an excellent cautionary tale. The thrust that the researchers measured with just a couple of Watts of power was the same as that measured previously with 50W of power. And that was all due to a shielding problem. When the amplifiers are properly mounted and the shielding is in place, it will be even more difficult to detect the thrust, because the effects of noise will grow as well. I expect a flood of null results in the next year.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Generation of torque on the apparatus when oriented such that torque should not be produced is pretty damning for anything other than space unicorn thrust.

• Options

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/nasas-em-drive-is-a-magnetic-wtf-thruster/
    And the winner is… Physics, without much doubt. Even with a power of just a couple of Watts, the EM-drive generates thrust in the expected direction (e.g., the torsion bar twists in the right direction). If you reverse the direction of the thruster, the balance swings back the other way: the thrust is reversed. Unfortunately, the EM drive also generates the thrust when the thruster is directed so that it cannot produce a torque on the balance (e.g., the null test also produces thrust). And likewise, that “thrust” reverses when you reverse the direction of the thruster.

The best part is that the results are the same when the attenuator is put into the circuit. In this case, there is basically no radiation in the microwave cavity, yet the WTF-thruster thrusts on.

So, where does the force come from? The Earth’s magnetic field, most likely. The cables that carry the current to the microwave amplifier run along the arm of the torsion bar. Although the cable is shielded, it is not perfect (because the researchers did not have enough mu metal). The current in the cable experiences a force due to the Earth’s magnetic field that is precisely perpendicular to the torsion bar. And, depending on the orientation of the thruster, the direction of the current will reverse and the force will reverse. The researchers made some calculations, based on the location of the experiment and the amplifier current, and got a torque that agreed quite well with the measured torque.

This is, of course, not the final word. But it is an excellent cautionary tale. The thrust that the researchers measured with just a couple of Watts of power was the same as that measured previously with 50W of power. And that was all due to a shielding problem. When the amplifiers are properly mounted and the shielding is in place, it will be even more difficult to detect the thrust, because the effects of noise will grow as well. I expect a flood of null results in the next year.

So, for us laymen, the magic reactionless drive only works inside an overarching magnetic sphere?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

So, for us laymen, the magic reactionless drive only works inside an overarching magnetic sphere?

They tested two possible setups. With the EMDrive, it looks like it was the power system for the setup interacting with earths magnetic field.

For the mach drive, when you change the direction of the thruster the effect still pushes in the same direction.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Basically, yes but not in a useful way. They tried hard to fully enclose their setup in a low-magnetic-field environment but it wasn't possible to fully complete that shielding. When they pointed their thruster (which was magnetically shielded) along the axis of their torque arm, they still measured a torque being produced - which couldn't have been produced by the thruster itself due to its orientation. This implicated magnetic interactions between the Earth's magnetic field and the cables leading to the amplifier. They also observed torque production when they energized the system but had a large attenuator upstream of the microwave cone to prevent microwaves from being produced inside the thruster, again suggesting that the forces being observed were due to components other than the thruster itself.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    And then the Mach failure is just a "WTF" that doesn't even follow the laws it supposedly uses to break all the other laws?

• Options
    And then the Mach failure is just a "WTF" that doesn't even follow the laws it supposedly uses to break all the other laws?

Unicorn farts allow us to violate conservation of energy.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Basically, yes but not in a useful way. They tried hard to fully enclose their setup in a low-magnetic-field environment but it wasn't possible to fully complete that shielding. When they pointed their thruster (which was magnetically shielded) along the axis of their torque arm, they still measured a torque being produced - which couldn't have been produced by the thruster itself due to its orientation. This implicated magnetic interactions between the Earth's magnetic field and the cables leading to the amplifier. They also observed torque production when they energized the system but had a large attenuator upstream of the microwave cone to prevent microwaves from being produced inside the thruster, again suggesting that the forces being observed were due to components other than the thruster itself.

I'm pretty sure screwing with Earth's magnetic field is how we got The Core. Maybe we can get SpaceX to make us an unobtanium drill?

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

I'm pretty sure screwing with Earth's magnetic field is how we got The Core. Maybe we can get SpaceX to make us an unobtanium drill?

As long as they use it to restart Mars's core, I'm cool with that.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Not really work, the drive doesn't do anything, the power system interacts with the magnetic field, but all electrical fields do. This is basically a very expensive version of sliding a magnet through a non-ferrous pipe.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    There is a SpaceX launch out of Vandenberg this afternoon: May 22nd 2018, 12:47:58 PDT, 3:47:58 EDT (19:47:58 UTC).

I will not be around to provide coverage, unfortunately. It's a Block 4 Falcon 9 and they won't be trying to land the booster, although Mr Steven is out at sea and ready to make a fairing catch attempt!

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That thing has felt iffy from the start but I guess hope is a convincing motivator.

Didn’t hurt to try I guess.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    That thing has felt iffy from the start but I guess hope is a convincing motivator.

Didn’t hurt to try I guess.

Yeah. It's nice that someone finally got legit funding to figure all of these out.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

No, they're saying the EMDrive is a superfluous lump. The thrust exists because they created an "electrodynamic tether" just with the power wires feeding it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Successful block 4 launch.

• Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And a successful deployment of all 5 Iridium satellites!

• Options
    Complete primary mission success for SpaceX and Falcon 9!

Just off-target on the fairing catch attempt, but the good news is that the recovery hardware (thrusters + 'chutes) apparently behaved themselves this time around - just need to fine-tune the controls :D

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    You can do it next time Mr. Steven.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm told the Block 4 Falcon 9 that launched today is the same rocket that carried the Zuma mission. Good to see there were no issues today.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I'm told the Block 4 Falcon 9 that launched today is the same rocket that carried the Zuma mission. Good to see there were no issues today.

There weren't any issues with Zuma either. :tinfoil:

• Options
    A company called SpaceWorks is developing a possible hibernation (think stasis pods) system for astronauts that induces short-term hypothermic torpor, for long interplanetary missions.

Some renders from the PDF presentation:
    e3as9nW.png
    ILWYfli.png

The amount of tubes, catheters and IV lines seems a bit too invasive though (not to mention the periodic electric shocks from the robot arms), especially if you're just trying to solve boredom rather than save on consumables (though they talk about both). I'd just give them Nintendo Switches loaded up with as much content as possible. :P

• Options
    Of the twelve humans to ever walk on the moon, their are now only four left alive:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/alan-bean-the-fourth-human-to-walk-on-the-moon-has-died/
    "I loved being an astronaut; I was thinking about flying the space shuttle, but I said you know there are a lot of young men and women around who can fly the space shuttle just as good as I can or better," he later recalled. "But there's no one around that's been to the Moon, that took part in one of humankind's great adventures, that wants to represent it in another way."

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Orbital Launch Imminent

Hey space thread! The static fire (that link leads to a video of it) was actually completed for this launch back on Thursday, but I wanted to wait a bit to report this launch date as a sure thing - weather has been a bit spotty down near the Cape recently, and they only have a couple shots at launching this one before a planned ~weeklong range shutdown that lasts until June 9th. For now, however, launch is scheduled for Tuesday May 31st at 0429 - 0527 UTC (12:29am - 1:27am EDT, May 30 9:29pm - 10:27pm PDT)!

But anyway! This is a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch, lofting a 5400kg satellite to a geostationary transfer orbit for SES, launching out of SLC-40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. If you like landings and / or fairing recovery tests, this will NOT be the launch for you :P This is a previously-used Block 4 Falcon 9 (its first mission lofted the X-37B into orbit), so they're not going to bother with trying to recover it, and are instead going to use every last drop of energy to get this big bird on its way to GTO!

So a bog-standard launch to GTO, with the notable milestone that it would be the 3rd launch in the month of May for SpaceX if they get it right on the first try. It will also be SpaceX's 11th launch of the year (1 Falcon Heavy, 10 Falcon 9s), and would keep up with my personal expectation of 2 launches / month of the Falcon 9 if they adhere to the current launch date :)

So once again, that launch time is Tuesday May 31st at 0429 - 0527 UTC (12:29am - 1:27am EDT, May 30 9:29pm - 10:27pm PDT)!

Given the launch time, it is unlikely I'll be around to provide coverage, but I'll be sure to keep you all updated on how the mission goes.

Fly safe!

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    As an aside, I mentioned there that I am rooting for ~24 Falcon 9 launches this year, which according to the manifest is very much doable!

But it very likely will not be the case for 2019, simply because there isn't the launch demand yet. Now, it may be that SpaceX will have Starlink ready to go by then and can use some launches getting their satellite constellation in place, but outside of that the satellite market hasn't yet responded to cheaper launch prices / access to space.

It's expected to be a lag rather than a permanent lack of demand, but the reality is that the satellites are routinely so expensive (~$50m - ~$300m) that the launch vehicle is almost an afterthought by comparison!

So it will be interesting going forward to see if / when / how the satellite market revolutionizes to keep up with the advances we're seeing in launch vehicles.

This discussion has been closed.