Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like pushing all these rockets out this year is amazing, but definitely cuts in to the launches that would have to wait longer for launches.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like pushing all these rockets out this year is amazing, but definitely cuts in to the launches that would have to wait longer for launches.

From my understanding, the "standard" wait for a launch is 12 - 24 months, which is reasonable enough

But SpaceX, prior to getting the steamroller going, had a lot of contracts reaching that 24 - 30 month point, so they're pressing hard to eliminate that backlog

But yeah, it's looking like the pace for 2019 - 2020 will be a more "sedate" 16-18 launches / year, barring significant investment from NASA / another customer looking to put a constellation up like Iridium :)

And of course with Falcon Heavy we should only ever be expecting 2-3 launches a year, which probably wasn't QUITE what SpaceX was envisioning when they designed that behemoth >_>

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I think that very fact may be part of why they aren’t pushing to man-rate the Heavy and are effectively skipping over it to get the BFR on the pad. Though it would still be awesome to see them stick a triple-point landing sometime soon….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Did we talk about one of the Ariane rocket guys complaining about how SpaceX is using government contracts to subsidize rockets and artificially deflate the price, then turn around and say that w/o government contracts they couldn't afford to fly theirs?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Did we talk about one of the Ariane rocket guys complaining about how SpaceX is using government contracts to subsidize rockets and artificially deflate the price, then turn around and say that w/o government contracts they couldn't afford to fly theirs?
    I saw that. A wonderful example of the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

But it's also a good indicator of how healthy (competition-wise) the current international launch industry is.
    They're arguing about subsidies in the (stereotypically) same way that agricultural and manufacturing companies do when suddenly they have to compete.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    SpaceX launch has slipped to June 1st, 04:29 - 05:27 UTC (12:29am - 1:27am EDT, May 31st 9:29pm - 10:27pm PDT)

Unsurprising, given the wicked weather that's been blowing through the Cape recently.

The range is being accommodating, though, which is a bonus - they were scheduled for shutdown June 1st - 9th, but are willing to postpone until SpaceX gets this bird off the pad!

Given that launch time, it is likely that I still will not be around to provide coverage, no matter what day it happens on :P

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

This is the same thing Airbus does, FWIW. Equally true there, but yeah.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I saw that. A wonderful example of the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

But it's also a good indicator of how healthy (competition-wise) the current international launch industry is.
    They're arguing about subsidies in the (stereotypically) same way that agricultural and manufacturing companies do when suddenly they have to compete.

And frankly things like space launches are always going to have a lot of government money/subsidies because they are some of the biggest possible customers for this kind of service. But it does seem like the market for this is turning into a pretty normal industry mode similar to air travel which is pretty impressive how fast the shift from purely governmental space programs to this happened.

• Options
    Falcon 9 now delayed until June 4th - no times given at yet, but we can generally assume the same time of day (~midnight EDT):

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Anton Shkaplerov, Scott D. Tingle and Norishige Kanai just returned to Earth from the ISS, formally ending Expedition 55.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44349517
    Expedition 56/57

Gerst will launch for his second tour to the ISS on Soyuz MS-09 in 6 June 2018, as commander of the ISS for Expedition 57. He will bring a robot assistant called "CIMON".
    I8TjojL.jpg

• Options
    I created this to troll [chat] originally, but it does contain all of the relevant information for tonight's launch and this is technically the correct thread, so >_>
    Orbital Launch Detected

You have no one to blame but yourselves!

Coming to [chat] live for the very first time since I created a thread dedicated to this very purpose, it's a SPACEPOST!

Coming up at 04:29 UTC (that's 12:29am Eastern, 9:29pm Pacific) we have a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch! Launching out of Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, the four hour launch window gives the Falcon 9 plenty of opportunity to lift its payload SES-12 into the heavens! It's a previously-flown Block 4 booster, so there won't be a landing attempt, but this big ol' bird is headed to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit, so the full capabilities of this mighty rocket will still be on full display!

Organichu or desc could have saved you from this fate, but they didn't! This was always going to be the end result, [chat]! Kneel before your spacelord!

Here's the rocket vertical on the pad earlier today:

Here's the link to The Press Kit

And here's the livestream, scheduled to go live ~20 minutes prior to liftoff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcM5hqQ45s

Fly safe, [chat]!

Wooooo, rockets!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This... this isn't chat.

Now I'm confused!

• Options
    Oh also I will not be around to provide coverage for tonight's launch - I barely slept last night and will consider it a personal achievement if I'm awake 2 hours from now

• Options
    Space. Space never sleeps, but us mortals do.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Holy fuck! I just barely caught this as I was leaving another video on YouTube... T-2!

They have the audio cranked up awesome. There's a very loud cricket... for now!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Oh thank god this went off tonight, because as I was driving home going north tonight after watching the game, i was seeing some crazy shit in the sky and was really hoping we weren't being invaded by aliens.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    NASA's holding a press briefing in about 45 minutes here to discuss the latest Mars findings. As usual they're being vague about what it is; we're likely getting another fairly routine update, but chances are people in this thread would probably find those interesting anyway.

There's also an embargoed paper attached to this one, so someone got something nifty enough to publish.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    NASA's holding a press briefing in about 45 minutes here to discuss the latest Mars findings. As usual they're being vague about what it is; we're likely getting another fairly routine update, but chances are people in this thread would probably find those interesting anyway.

There's also an embargoed paper attached to this one, so someone got something nifty enough to publish.

ED: Wait, need to rewatch some stuff ...

ED2: Okay, new discoveries around some new organic molecules on Mars. Emphasis that organic chemicals do not necessarily equal life.

ED3: The discovery is organic molecules in rocks from an ancient Martian lakebed. Also, methane on Mars - a repeatable, identifiable seasonal methane cycle on Mars.

9gv4lsalc7q1.png

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Also New Horizons is awake again and preparing for its next flyby - the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule. Which is pretty cool too.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    God dang that is a very good name for a Kuiper Belt object.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Isn't that what Sephiroth cast to destroy the world?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Keep a few appendages crossed for the Opportunity rover, which has lost contact with Earth due to a dust storm intense enough that no sunlight's reaching it even at midday. It might make it through, but there's also a chance that the prolonged darkness might result in it draining its batteries entirely.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Keep a few appendages crossed for the Opportunity rover, which has lost contact with Earth due to a dust storm intense enough that no sunlight's reaching it even at midday. It might make it through, but there's also a chance that the prolonged darkness might result in it draining its batteries entirely.

Oh, I saw warnings about the dust storm building up a day or two ago

Our poor robot friend, working its butt off for so long :bro:

Hang in there, Opportunity!

• Options
    Oh also, this fellow on Youtube has created several of these video simulations, his latest being a comparison between the performance of the Block 4 and Block 5 Falcon 9. So for anyone interested in some of the more technical performance data + how it affects the actual flight, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g72MEWM3Qg

• Options

Also, Scott Manley made a great video looking at the current state of Space Tourism:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsgrbd_Yv4Y

• Options
    McMoon: How the Earliest Images of the Moon Were so Much Better than we Realised

http://www.worldofindie.co.uk/?p=682
    Since 2007 the Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project has brought back 2000 images from 1500 analog tapes. The first ever picture of an earthrise. As Keith Cowing said “an image taken a quarter of a fucking million miles away in 1966. The Beatles were warming up to play Shea Stadium at the moment it was being taken.”

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    McMoon: How the Earliest Images of the Moon Were so Much Better than we Realised

http://www.worldofindie.co.uk/?p=682
    Since 2007 the Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project has brought back 2000 images from 1500 analog tapes. The first ever picture of an earthrise. As Keith Cowing said “an image taken a quarter of a fucking million miles away in 1966. The Beatles were warming up to play Shea Stadium at the moment it was being taken.”

McMoon indeed

• Options
    Fast-food lunar photography. It's almost a shame the building is scheduled for demolition.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I hate to bring politics in here, but this is very much news.

Trump announced the creation of a Space Force, with intentions of building a permanent base on the moon, from which we will launch manned mars missions.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I hate to bring politics in here, but this is very much news.

Trump announced the creation of a Space Force, with intentions of building a permanent base on the moon, from which we will launch manned mars missions.

Wait, when did Newt Gingrich officialy join the administration?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Is he going to disband the Space Command branch of the Air Force to free up budget and 36,000 employees?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I suspect that he doesn't know about that.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Apparently he did, because a few months ago when he told the Joint Chiefs to make this Space Force thing happen that was their reply, and he felt that wasn't good enough, this time he expressly says the Space Force must be "separate but equal to the Air Force," managing to imply the Air Force is the lesser branch of the military while invoking the terminology of racism for good measure.

The last time the brass half heartedly agreed to give Congress an evaluation on how we handle space matters, due in August. Actually creating a new branch of the military would require Congressional action first, and the brass's reaction makes me think they'll slow walk it through the bureaucracy until another president forgets about it.

And while the words "moon" and "base" were used regarding this, so were phrases like "uncontested dominance" and "lethality, not bureaucracy" (credit where credit's due: this last phrase was not from Trump). The primary purpose of this space force is utilizing space for warfare, with a secondary purpose being whatever they mean by "space flight control."

This is not our ticket to Mars. It's more likely our ticket to further diminishing NASA and a fast track to Kessler syndrome. The only way it gets us to Mars is if somebody else's space force gets to Mars first and we have to go bomb them, and at that point forward to eternity we as a species must live with that being the legacy the cosmos will carve on our tombstone.

It pains me to say this, but Elon Musk's half-assed Rapture-on-the-Moon is a more likely ticket to Mars than Trump's separate-but-equal Starfleet, and thinking that almost makes me wish Mars One's reality-show-in-space didn't pan out exactly like I said it would.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Its wierd how much attention Mars One got despite the total lack of launch capacity or at least a Scrooge McDuck money vault to back them.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Its wierd how much attention Mars One got despite the total lack of launch capacity or at least a Scrooge McDuck money vault to back them.

Mars One had a reality TV huckster at the helm, and encouraged participants to shill themselves out for interviews and sell merchandise (and give the proceeds to the program). It was a publicity pyramid scheme.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Today I learned Curiosity Rover has a Twitter account!
    Martian haze, all around. The dust storm now circles the whole planet. The measure of atmospheric opacity, or "tau," is over 8.0 here in Gale Crater—the highest I've ever seen. Still safe. Science continues.
    The tweet also links to this article:
    https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7164

I'm a little amazed at this storm. Has such a thing happened / been observed before?

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    It's not the first time we've seen effectively the whole planet covered by a dust storm, no. I think there was one back in 1971, another in 2001-ish.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Hope the lil rovers are okay these kind of major dust storms are not super common but do happen.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Curiosity is RTG powered, so isn't troubled so much by being in the dark.
    Considering the low wind speeds and atmospheric pressure, the sheer scale of these storms is both awe-inspiring and kind of scary (for any future human colonists).

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms
    “The key difference between Earth and Mars is that Mars’ atmospheric pressure is a lot less,” said William Farrell, a plasma physicist who studies atmospheric breakdown in Mars dust storms at Goddard. “So things get blown, but it’s not with the same intensity.”

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Curiosity is RTG powered, so isn't troubled so much by being in the dark.
    Considering the low wind speeds and atmospheric pressure, the sheer scale of these storms is both awe-inspiring and kind of scary (for any future human colonists).

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms
    “The key difference between Earth and Mars is that Mars’ atmospheric pressure is a lot less,” said William Farrell, a plasma physicist who studies atmospheric breakdown in Mars dust storms at Goddard. “So things get blown, but it’s not with the same intensity.”

Yeah, that's something I always have to actively ignore when reading/watching The Martian, because a crazy Martian dust storm isn't really that bad compared to one on Earth; even if particles are physically moving a hundred miles an hour, the atmosphere is so near a vacuum that even the most vicious wind just doesn't have much to push around. The storms only get so huge because Mars is completely covered in dust and doesn't have any water to pull the particles out of the air or plants to bind dust into soil; all that dust can just blow around for ages with nothing to stop it, so the storms can get massive in a way that Earth storms can't.

This discussion has been closed.