As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fried Chicken

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What the heck is a teetotaller?

someone who doesnt drink alcohol.

Because they only drink tea. Teatotallers. A lot of people misspell it for some reason.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is there some I dunno... science or whatever behind the name "Teetotaller" or did someone pull random letters out of a hat, arrange them, and then go "This is to describe a person who doesn't drink"?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Normally I have enough streamers followed that there's a good variety of things being played that I can hop between whatever I'm interested in.

Literally everyone is playing Monster Hunter.
    "playing"

Most of them are SO terrible at it. Jesus fucking Christ.

Yeah a dude I watch has switched over to charge blade and I thought I was bad at it, holy shit he keeps full vials and gets overloaded never fires them, and he's using a rath cb against fire drakes... Its like "I know cbs get a lot of back seaters, but fuck sake dude you are doing nothing".
    I see a LOT of people going in with Insect Glaive and Charge Blade as their starter weapon, due to some sort of hubris that "I'm using the MOST COMPLICATED WEAPON in the HARDEST GAME" or some shit like that. I'm like "Umm, it's not THAT hard, and you aren't even doing the bare minimum of the not-hard moves".

Honestly I swapped off the charge blade because I felt like personally on my solo hunts I was doing dumb stuff and I ended up tripping over myself to do moves and not getting consistent damage. I've been using the GS and Dual Blades because they are both not super complicated.

I've been thinking of trying the SnS since I made the nergalos set this morning and it does good damage on elemental crit and the SnS has some cool super leap moves now.

Nothing in the game is particularly hard/complicated by most standards. But there are weapons that punish you more for missing and have that added collection/reload mechanic.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    JebusUD wrote: »

It's where you only like the totality of teas.

goddamn it jebus

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    So all times and distances logged on today's stage of the TransCape race have been lost as a result of the lead marshal being attacked by a swarm of bees

So that happened

Happens to the best of us

That's hilarious

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Let's be real: teetotallers can possibly be as annoying as an annoying vegan

how often do you meet annoying teetotalers or annoying vegans

I think this is one of those things where you tend to only find out if someone is either because they're being annoying, and as such people's opinions are slanted by sampling bias.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    shiv your joke is undercut by an accidental misspelling, I'll have to dock you 5 comedy points

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    This OP has made me want to listen the Queen's One Vision

Fried chicken!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i obviously don't care if someone doesn't drink, but i do feel bad when they're stuck hanging out with a bunch of drunks

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

Normally I have enough streamers followed that there's a good variety of things being played that I can hop between whatever I'm interested in.

"playing"

Yeah a dude I watch has switched over to charge blade and I thought I was bad at it, holy shit he keeps full vials and gets overloaded never fires them, and he's using a rath cb against fire drakes... Its like "I know cbs get a lot of back seaters, but fuck sake dude you are doing nothing".
    I see a LOT of people going in with Insect Glaive and Charge Blade as their starter weapon, due to some sort of hubris that "I'm using the MOST COMPLICATED WEAPON in the HARDEST GAME" or some shit like that. I'm like "Umm, it's not THAT hard, and you aren't even doing the bare minimum of the not-hard moves".

Honestly I swapped off the charge blade because I felt like personally on my solo hunts I was doing dumb stuff and I ended up tripping over myself to do moves and not getting consistent damage. I've been using the GS and Dual Blades because they are both not super complicated.

I've been thinking of trying the SnS since I made the nergalos set this morning and it does good damage on elemental crit and the SnS has some cool super leap moves now.
    At least now, Charge Blade in this game has more upgrade paths. When it debuted, there was basically just one for most of Low Rank.

In Monster Hunter Tri, Longsword had a similar problem. The endgame had something like... 11 endgame Longswords? And some of those were special "bonus" weapons that you only acquired later from Event quests.

I've been using only Long Sword and Bow this game. I really should branch out. I've started upgrading a bunch of other weapons, but I've yet to break the seal on them yet.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

My experience is similar to that of a vegan: people treat me like shit out of defensiveness that I’m like, implicitly criticizing their lifestyle. Give me a vegan over a ‘for every cow you don’t eat I’ll eat three lol!!’ person any day. Same thing here.

Comparing just vegan to militantly anti-vegan is unfair

The equivalent is the evangelical vegan who is dumb as rocks. Your PETA people.

If I was locked in a room with one of those and one of the for every cow you don't eat I'll eat three lol people and I had a gun with two bullets I'd shoot myself twice

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Im glad I didnt go through with buying the Shadow of the Colossus remake, its a great game but I got everything out of it I wanted by watching people play it on twitch.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i obviously don't care if someone doesn't drink, but i do feel bad when they're stuck hanging out with a bunch of drunks

Throat parched for a drop of Mallört

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Im still on charge blade, I wanted to like Lance but I need to watch a tutorial to see what its really about cause I didnt see anything compelling about it.

• Options

It can be ok, as long as they're able to like, loosen up. You can definitely get into a drunkesque mood without drinking if you'e so inclined.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Is there some I dunno... science or whatever behind the name "Teetotaller" or did someone pull random letters out of a hat, arrange them, and then go "This is to describe a person who doesn't drink"?

wiki says the origins are disputed, but the commonly accepted origin, is a speech at a Temprence Society meeting where someone stuttered that they insisted on "t-t-total abstinence" of alcohol.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    one time I went to a popular fried chicken place in Nashville with my road trip buddies but I ordered grilled chicken instead of fried

then my friend asked me why I hate america and also freedom

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

My experience is similar to that of a vegan: people treat me like shit out of defensiveness that I’m like, implicitly criticizing their lifestyle. Give me a vegan over a ‘for every cow you don’t eat I’ll eat three lol!!’ person any day. Same thing here.

If I was locked in a room with one of those and one of the for every cow you don't eat I'll eat three lol people and I had a gun with two bullets I'd shoot myself twice

The point is that there aren't actually that many militant vegans. I've encountered militant vegans but they're pretty rare, and it's been a very long time.

While the opposite, somebody who responds with defensiveness and derision to the mere suggestion that somebody in their presence is vegan, is all too common.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Two interviews down, one to go.

First guy: Answered the wrong question on the tech assessment. Wasn't good at following what I was saying, might of been me, code was technically good if bulky. Did an okay use of iteration though and was able to figure out the data. Was able to answer the second half well once I walked him through what I really wanted. Young and a it brash though. I am just meh since my instructions obviously weren't crap because...

Second person: Got a perfect answer. Showed the ability to think through the problem and recode. Answered all my questions with a good technical answer. Was quick to figure out anything. Was able to describe to me her thought process. Walked me through how she approaches questions. Also has a similar background. Is comfortable building out dashboards. Didn't try to write off what we do as better in SQL which we can't use and didn't know like the first person.

One left, let's see how this goes!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I can only speak for the U.S., but an example: At the Christmas holiday party, there is a chance where if you don't drink you will be labeled "not a team player" and won't get promotions.

Up here, as long as you're first on the dance floor, they don't care about your level of sobriety

Just make an ass of yourself - performing karaoke poorly is supremely helpful, too - and you'll be accepted anywhere

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

So alcohol was always a substitutable beverage associated with food.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Chanus these guys are awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqCidQ19OU

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    For every shot of Jaeger you don't take im slamming three

This...

happens a lot with the people I work with

A fairly consistent feature of any night out is the unsolicited tray of shots, and frequently ends up with the purchaser drinking those they bought for people that demurred

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I got jumped by a group of teenagers for Pokémon cards that I didn’t even have

My mom gave away my (semi) valuable collection of early 90's Magic and sports card collection. But she keeps bullshit dollar store plastic toys and coloring books.

I had a foil Arcanis the Omnipotent card. I later gave it to my little brother when I stopped playing and he traded it for some stupid bullshit.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    one time I went to a popular fried chicken place in Nashville with my road trip buddies but I ordered grilled chicken instead of fried

then my friend asked me why I hate america and also freedom

This seems like a fair question

• Options
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

Are you American?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I ended up the designated driver for my brother's birthday one year... It was a pleasant evening of my drunk brother and my then also drunk girlfriend talking about what an asshole I was. Fun

Also, dipping my toes into a chat thread is killing my already record low work productivity... I should probably get something done today D:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Because they only drink tea. Teatotallers. A lot of people misspell it for some reason.

Get on my joke level slowpoke.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    It's an old word. Created back before we really had standardized spelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teetotalism
    There is some dispute over the origin of the word "teetotaler". One anecdote attributes the origin of the word to a meeting of the Preston Temperance Society in 1833. The story attributes the word to Richard Turner,[2] a member of the society, who in a speech said "I'll be reet down out-and-out t-t-total for ever and ever".[3] Walter William Skeat noted that the Turner anecdote had been recorded by temperance advocate Joseph Livesey, and posited that the term may have been inspired by the teetotum;[4] however, James B. Greenough stated that "nobody ever thought teetotum and teetotaler were etymologically connected".[5]

A variation on the above account is found on the pages of The Charleston Observer:

Teetotalers.—The origin of this convenient word, (as convenient almost, although not so general in its application as loafer,) is, we imagine, known but to few who use it. It originated, as we learn from the Landmark, with a man named Turner, a member of the Preston Temperance Society, who, having an impediment of speech, in addressing a meeting remarked, that partial abstinence from intoxicating liquors would not do; they must insist upon tee-tee-(stammering) tee total abstinence. Hence total abstainers have been called teetotalers.

— The Charleston Observer vol. 10, no. 44 (29 October 1836)[6]
    An alternative explanation is that teetotal is simply a reduplication of the first "T" in total (T-total). It is said that as early as 1827 in some Temperance Societies signing a "T" after one's name signified one's pledge for total abstinence.[7] In England in the 1830s, when the word first entered the lexicon, it was also used in other contexts as an emphasized form of total; a comparable American English locution would be "total with a capital T" (an instance of the "[word] with a capital [word-initial letter]" snowclone).

According to historian Daniel Walker Howe (What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848, 2007) the term was derived from the practice of American preacher and temperance advocate Lyman Beecher. He would take names at his meetings of people who pledged alcoholic temperance and noted those who pledged total abstinence with a T. Such persons became known as Teetotallers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I saw a funny video

I share the funny video with you now

https://youtu.be/a8uyilHatBA

Colbert talked about SpaceX last night and it was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-RSPLdpPg

King Nerd! I think he'll accept that title readily :P

I'm surprised he hasn't already booked an appearance to pick up his hat.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    kedinik wrote: »

how often do you meet annoying teetotalers or annoying vegans

Teetotallers not so much these days. I spend a lot of my free time in bars so teetotallers have kinda drifted out of my social circles (for good and for bad. Mostly bad, but hey, people drift away.)

Vegans... fairly often because I'm kind of friends with one.

She's alright some of the time. When she talks about... most topics, really, she's pretty annoying. But like, absent, uh, a topic of conversation, she's nice

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Are you American?

Canadian. Grandparents immigrated from Italy.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Get on my joke level slowpoke.

No.
    SlowpokeAndFriends.jpg

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

The point is that there aren't actually that many militant vegans. I've encountered militant vegans but they're pretty rare, and it's been a very long time.

While the opposite, somebody who responds with defensiveness and derision to the mere suggestion that somebody in their presence is vegan, is all too common.

Get a load of this soy boy

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I will eat all of the fried chicken and no one can stop me

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This is without a doubt the WORST motivational poster I've ever seen.

OqqbES6.jpg

I wish I'd had chat so I could have made a demotivational one.

• Options

I legit don't mind at all

My extended family is largely a big bunch of drinkers (with a couple exceptions), and I love 'em all, so if they need a refill I'm the first to go get it for them

As they get drunker and the conversation gets sillier, I'm allowed to loosen up and be a little sillier too, it's kind of nice!

My friend group is largely sober, with a couple exceptions, but we'll alternate going to the bar and chilling at someone's house or going for coffee, it's all good

Ladyfish drinks in moderation, and mostly she's just very cute when she's had a few <3

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

"playing"

At least now, Charge Blade in this game has more upgrade paths. When it debuted, there was basically just one for most of Low Rank.

In Monster Hunter Tri, Longsword had a similar problem. The endgame had something like... 11 endgame Longswords? And some of those were special "bonus" weapons that you only acquired later from Event quests.

I've been using only Long Sword and Bow this game. I really should branch out. I've started upgrading a bunch of other weapons, but I've yet to break the seal on them yet.

Yeah I remember tri's upgrade system and even 4U had some shit where some weapons were not usable at all at low levels due to not having the damage/upgrade paths of others.

Its one thing I kind of bristle at when people complain there aren't enough upgrade paths in this game, because this one has so many more lower HR options and a lot of weapons that work end game instead of "just these two."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    For every shot of Jaeger you don't take im slamming three

Even if you are currently drinking jäger there's hypothetical jäger you are at currently not drinking

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

there aren't many militant vegans in general, true

however, if you ever hang out in certain parts of the Northern European radical left, hoo boy

This discussion has been closed.