As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fried Chicken

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I wish I cared more about streaming, I think it's definitely a thing I could be good at.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Also hello Shiv how are you doing today

I like checking in with you because I know some days can suck, but you seem in a decent mood today! <3

I talked with someone yesterday and she gave advice I have to follow

Had couples' therapy this morning and this week it ended up mostly being about me. I am sure I should remember more!

Experiment is happening and I am skilled.

This all sounds like positive movement! I am glad to hear it <3

As someone who has weekly therapy where it's always 100% about me, I understand that unique feeling of having a revelation that changes your perspective or your attitude or your behavior

It's always ... humbling, but also like a burden is being lifted off of you.

I like it, anyway.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    "You have to attack the deep structural inequalities that foment the use of such materials in the first place!", I screamed at the girl trying to get the ice cream place to stop using styrofoam cups.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    One day bullfriend and I will have our own farm animal sanctuary/hippie artist commune, and then finally, in that brief window before the project collapses in figurative and literal flames, I’ll finally be able to enjoy scrambled eggs guilt free

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I've trained myself to be able to drink a glass of wine socially now.

But I still hate alcohol. And will really only drink heavily on request at special occasions.

If you hate booze then forcing yourself to drink it seems super unhealthy.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Sal wants us to talk Saturday. Hmmmm.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is there some I dunno... science or whatever behind the name "Teetotaller" or did someone pull random letters out of a hat, arrange them, and then go "This is to describe a person who doesn't drink"?

It's very old and people talked funny in the past

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I wish I cared more about streaming, I think it's definitely a thing I could be good at.

if you don't care then who cares right

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I am once again having Milski's Overindulgent Breakfast.

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I have the perception that you work interesting hours, but I am glad you're at least obscenely well fed :D

"Sir Landshark"

I'm sorry to hear work's being a dick again. Did that raise ever get applied, at least? I know more money doesn't buy back your time, but sometimes it eases the pain! >_>

oh yeah the raise went thru at the beginning of the year

and im paid hourly

but I haven't seen my daughter since sunday so

:bro:

That's not fair, I'm sorry to hear that, man.

I'm glad she's on the mend, though. I "wasn't here", but I was kept apprised of the situation and I was sending positive vibes toward the Landshark family <3

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm glad I got Shadow of the Colossus but also I've been streaming it. Hard Mode actually quite hard!

I will probably never be able to compete with other streamers because I have a day job but it's still fun.

Most of them started with day jobs too. Probably a bit harder to break through these days though.

Still it could happen.

If someone influential hosted you would probably be the easiest way.

I'm still confused why I often have a woman with 10,600 followers watching me. I assume for the feet.

Yeah a big host so that people might actually see you for a few seconds and decide to stick around is a huuuge deal. I guess if I want to grow my stream more I should do more networking. I did get a sea of thieves host once of like 50 people that rapidly dropped down to 20 but that was still pretty cool. And/or get a camera for feet.

are you trying to do this as a second job type thing?

I was under the impression that most of the chat stream community was just into it as like a way to hang out with their internet friends

growing beyond chat would probably take a lot of effort. good luck!

Second job is probably a bit too serious, but I would love to build an actual following and get a twitch paycheck every once in a while. I'm getting pretty close to my first twitch paycheck actually. I definitely want to focus on it more as a hobby, but part of the fun of the hobby for me is trying to grow the stream I think. Fiddling with audio and video settings and making things look/sound as professional as I can has been really fun and interesting.

• Options

I don't get what you mean. Sometimes I do stream when I'm in a bad mood and not many people watch and I'm not very engaging. Is that what you meant?

My energy level being up seems to lead to my bigger snowball days where people keep coming in.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I have the perception that you work interesting hours, but I am glad you're at least obscenely well fed :D

"Sir Landshark"

I'm sorry to hear work's being a dick again. Did that raise ever get applied, at least? I know more money doesn't buy back your time, but sometimes it eases the pain! >_>

and im paid hourly

I'm glad she's on the mend, though. I "wasn't here", but I was kept apprised of the situation and I was sending positive vibes toward the Landshark family <3

oh yeah she's 100% better and back to screaming at porp for looking at her the wrong way

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

"Sir Landshark"

My hours are generally a standard 9/80 (but 6:30 to 4:30 to beat traffic) and I don't work too much overtime, being salaried. So its not bad, I just post when I go to turnarounds (which I volunteered for last year so I got an extra month of it).

Oh, okay, there's at least some logic to it! :P

Turnarounds are never fun, but a good way to get in your boss's good books, I bet.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I don't get what you mean. Sometimes I do stream when I'm in a bad mood and not many people watch and I'm not very engaging. Is that what you meant?

My energy level being up seems to lead to my bigger snowball days where people keep coming in.

i think he's just saying if you don't care about streaming who cares that you're not more into it

plenty of things you could be good at and streaming is not a lucrative career any more than playing the lottery

if you are having fun doing it then no reason to wish you were more into it, just enjoy it for what it is

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm glad I got Shadow of the Colossus but also I've been streaming it. Hard Mode actually quite hard!

I will probably never be able to compete with other streamers because I have a day job but it's still fun.

Most of them started with day jobs too. Probably a bit harder to break through these days though.

Still it could happen.

I'm still confused why I often have a woman with 10,600 followers watching me. I assume for the feet.

Yeah a big host so that people might actually see you for a few seconds and decide to stick around is a huuuge deal. I guess if I want to grow my stream more I should do more networking. I did get a sea of thieves host once of like 50 people that rapidly dropped down to 20 but that was still pretty cool. And/or get a camera for feet.

I was under the impression that most of the chat stream community was just into it as like a way to hang out with their internet friends

Second job is probably a bit too serious, but I would love to build an actual following and get a twitch paycheck every once in a while. I'm getting pretty close to my first twitch paycheck actually. I definitely want to focus on it more as a hobby, but part of the fun of the hobby for me is trying to grow the stream I think. Fiddling with audio and video settings and making things look/sound as professional as I can has been really fun and interesting.

Yeah, seeing you and VH actually try to be better has had a de-motivating effect!

Also probably moving, job and not having a comfy chair.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like to think it means tea-totaller

As in, tea makes up the totality of my strong drink consumption

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    People who feel entitled to know why I don't drink and inquire with mocking hostility get a pretty shitty response from me.

Like, that kind of shit doesn't happen much anymore nowadays because I'm older and don't go to like, shitty house parties or whatever much, but every now and again I'll still be over at somebody's place and they'll offer me something to drink and go over a list of options and they're all booze and I'll politely decline or ask for a water or soda or something

And they'll wrinkle their nose like I farted in church and be like "what're you, a Mormon? It's a party, man"

At which point I will like, do a sharp exhale through my nose, sigh and say "Sure, and if I have serious health reasons I don't drink and I fucking die on your couch just because you felt insulted I didn't want some of your IPA would that bring the room down?" and then my wife sighs at me and I shrug.

Fuck off with that shit.

If someone is the kind of person who wants you to know why they don't drink, then brother, trust me they will fucking tell you.

Otherwise, leave them alone and just say "Okay, no problem."

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    How is PETA even on people's radars as a hate object

PETA is such a tiny and trivial organization

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a peta ad outside of some jpg compressed 2004 photo of a guy wrapped in plastic to protest meat being posted on Imgur or something for mockery
    How are Tumblrinas even on people's radars as a hate object? Or reddit redpillers? Tiny and trivial amounts of people can disproportionately represent themselves through being loud and annoying. Signal repeating and reinforcement is part and parcel of the modern Internet.

Redpillers occasionally go on shooting sprees so...

(Or at least, the views espoused by them are the kind of thing that gets women killed, and they reflect unpleasant realities of our current society, rather than being weird reactionary outcroppings, even if that is some of the source.)

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    a

"Sir Landshark"

and im paid hourly

oh yeah she's 100% better and back to screaming at porp for looking at her the wrong way

#3 bragging to 1 and 2 "I said *looks around, whispers* biiiiiiiiii--"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I would be the best streamer.

I usually play for bursts of up to an hour and a half but sporadically so those can be three nights in a row or two weeks apart.

Also I don't remember the last time I played something around its launch window

But I keep a camera on my crotch at all times

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Let's be real: teetotallers can possibly be as annoying as an annoying vegan

My experience is similar to that of a vegan: people treat me like shit out of defensiveness that I’m like, implicitly criticizing their lifestyle. Give me a vegan over a ‘for every cow you don’t eat I’ll eat three lol!!’ person any day. Same thing here.

Comparing just vegan to militantly anti-vegan is unfair

The equivalent is the evangelical vegan who is dumb as rocks. Your PETA people.

If I was locked in a room with one of those and one of the for every cow you don't eat I'll eat three lol people and I had a gun with two bullets I'd shoot myself twice

The point is that there aren't actually that many militant vegans. I've encountered militant vegans but they're pretty rare, and it's been a very long time.

While the opposite, somebody who responds with defensiveness and derision to the mere suggestion that somebody in their presence is vegan, is all too common.

I know, it is literally impossible to mention a vegan being annoying without someone piping up with "actually they're really rare!"

They're not that rare. A vegan, p much by definition, is someone who cares a lot about an issue, and people who care a lot about issues are insufferable far more often than people who don't

(Which is, incidentally, more or less the reason I'm not in politics. The ratio is too bad for me. Agreeing with them doesn't help.)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

"Sir Landshark"

My hours are generally a standard 9/80 (but 6:30 to 4:30 to beat traffic) and I don't work too much overtime, being salaried. So its not bad, I just post when I go to turnarounds (which I volunteered for last year so I got an extra month of it).

Turnarounds are never fun, but a good way to get in your boss's good books, I bet.

It seemed to pay off in my eval last year. I have mildly fumbled a few things at the start of this year, though, so hopefully that doesn't wipe it out. :/

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I mean if you can get 2,000 subs at the base level you can make $50,000. Easy peasy. I wonder how many total twitch subs are out there right now.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

So alcohol was always a substitutable beverage associated with food.

Are you American?

Canadian. Grandparents immigrated from Italy.

Ah, interesting. I was just wondering because I know English-speaking alcohol consumption is different from some other regions, and, at least in the US (I suspect Canada too), alcohol is a thing you drink lots of in college because everyone else is*.

*everyone thinks everyone else drinks more than they actually do, so they drink more to compensate, it's a hilarious and deadly psychological phenomenon.

Binge drinking culture is pretty universal in the English speaking world and outside it as well. US overall still tends to drink less than a lot of English speaking countries.

I technically never binge drink

But it also feels kind of close to my drinking style

I mean, have you at least tried not being a little baby and doing some keg stands though

Here are my drinking choices:

Wine or mead that I made, because I'm better than everyone else

Rum or brandy

That is it, end list, thank you.

Though adding cream soda to the rum or lemonade to the brandy tends to make dope drinks.

• Options
    i obviously don't care if someone doesn't drink, but i do feel bad when they're stuck hanging out with a bunch of drunks

I legit don't mind at all

My extended family is largely a big bunch of drinkers (with a couple exceptions), and I love 'em all, so if they need a refill I'm the first to go get it for them

As they get drunker and the conversation gets sillier, I'm allowed to loosen up and be a little sillier too, it's kind of nice!

My friend group is largely sober, with a couple exceptions, but we'll alternate going to the bar and chilling at someone's house or going for coffee, it's all good

Ladyfish drinks in moderation, and mostly she's just very cute when she's had a few <3

The best kind of drunk to be is when other people (that you like when drunk) are drunker than you

I guess it's only a question of how much of a gap you can take

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

This seems like a positive development! Good luck, friend :bro:

I'd say keep us posted but this is certainly private between you and her, so only share what you both feel comfortable sharing :)

But I hope it goes well <3

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I mean if you can get 2,000 subs at the base level you can make $50,000. Easy peasy. I wonder how many total twitch subs are out there right now.

How many people seriously try to make fifty grand a year on twitch versus how many people achieve it

How long do they put in building the steam for no dollars, beyond the initial hobbyist investment

Would they be better off working minimum wage for that time plus the first year

I do not think it is easy peasy in practice

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I got tiny tastes of big time streamer jobness during my span of streaming. There is a distinct difference when you get raided by that streamer with 100+ people in tow. Keeping up with chat and the like becomes much harder and it made go a big rubbery one when thinking of the job that the day to day full time streamers do.

Definitely one of those things where you have to love it.

• Options
    Also hello Shiv how are you doing today

I like checking in with you because I know some days can suck, but you seem in a decent mood today! <3

I talked with someone yesterday and she gave advice I have to follow

Had couples' therapy this morning and this week it ended up mostly being about me. I am sure I should remember more!

Experiment is happening and I am skilled.

This all sounds like positive movement! I am glad to hear it <3

As someone who has weekly therapy where it's always 100% about me, I understand that unique feeling of having a revelation that changes your perspective or your attitude or your behavior

It's always ... humbling, but also like a burden is being lifted off of you.

I like it, anyway.

Oh it is rare that I have revelations in therapy. I talk too much and introspect too much for that to happen super often. I just don't know how to fix my shit, sometimes.

I mean today it was mostly stuff related to OCD that came out, which I knew but I think was useful for Querry to hear (such as: I have a jealous streak, but it is definitely in the form of obsessive-compulsive intrusive thoughts, rather than a thing in and of itself. Similarly, thoughts of death and dying: how OCD comes out, sometimes.)

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    New thread friendship rock! @bloodyroarxx

Wait what?

Im missing something here.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    My wife and I went to a house party years back and the dude offered me a drink and when I politely declined all booze he started to get shitty and I made a face like I was gonna say some shit and his wife saw and just dived in that convo like Captain America on a grenade, redirecting the subject and my ire.

Good woman, definitely his better half

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

WHY WOULD YOU SHOW THIS TO ME.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

How many people seriously try to make fifty grand a year on twitch versus how many people achieve it

How long do they put in building the steam for no dollars, beyond the initial hobbyist investment

Would they be better off working minimum wage for that time plus the first year

I do not think it is easy peasy in practice

Ive seen someone have this breakdown on stream before, its sad and heart breaking.

• Options

"Sir Landshark"

It seemed to pay off in my eval last year. I have mildly fumbled a few things at the start of this year, though, so hopefully that doesn't wipe it out. :/

Emotionally complex post! Hard to choose reaction button! :P

You work in an intense field, I'm sure a couple fumbles are baked into the expectations. Nobody never drops the ball except for Adrian Peterson!

• Options
    Oh, the unwanted plate of shots. The definition of read the goddamn room.

A good plate of shots is when everybody is excited about being stupid and just getting silly drunk together.

The guy who buys a round of shots to a bunch of people who go "uh" because they were sipping beer while practicing the art of good conversation, is the guy who calls you "buddy" and laughs really loudly at his own jokes with a laugh that makes you want to stab him in the eyes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Still it could happen.

Your new mic is A+, by the way! <3

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to compare people who have addiction issues with Alcohol with teatotalers, that feels very unfair.
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Let's be real: teetotallers can possibly be as annoying as an annoying vegan

Surely you know better than anyone here how annoying drunk people can be, too

There are countless frontiers for being a pain in the ass

They're annoying in, like, a frustrating project at work, annoying. Not annoying like people, because they're not, not really

They're either guests, who are not real people, or they're Not My Problem and then I enjoy them not being my problem

a job where you aren't paid to be nice to customers, the dream

so envious

*posts 5 angry threads on r/TalesFromRetail*

Honestly? It kind of is. I mean, of all the service jobs it's the least service minded.

Which can be nice.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

This seems like a positive development! Good luck, friend :bro:

I'd say keep us posted but this is certainly private between you and her, so only share what you both feel comfortable sharing :)

But I hope it goes well <3

Don't listen to him, share it all with us, the social vultures.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    being around drunk people is definitely the worst part of not drinking. as aziz ansari said, 'woo girls' especially. i basically can't go out with my college aged female coworkers because jesus christ.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    800 is entirely too reasonable for what I'm being showing in that video.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.