As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fried Chicken

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Does the training grounds not tell you how to charge the charge blade? They give combos for the other weapons.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Also hello Shiv how are you doing today

I like checking in with you because I know some days can suck, but you seem in a decent mood today! <3

I talked with someone yesterday and she gave advice I have to follow

Had couples' therapy this morning and this week it ended up mostly being about me. I am sure I should remember more!

Experiment is happening and I am skilled.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to compare people who have addiction issues with Alcohol with teatotalers, that feels very unfair.

i'm not familiar with the connotation you have for teetotalers i guess

to me it is a neutral technical term like vegetarian or sober

sig.gif
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm glad I got Shadow of the Colossus but also I've been streaming it. Hard Mode actually quite hard!

I will probably never be able to compete with other streamers because I have a day job but it's still fun.

Most of them started with day jobs too. Probably a bit harder to break through these days though.

Still it could happen.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I've trained myself to be able to drink a glass of wine socially now.

But I still hate alcohol. And will really only drink heavily on request at special occasions.

I seem to remember one night after the election.....

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Normally I have enough streamers followed that there's a good variety of things being played that I can hop between whatever I'm interested in.

Literally everyone is playing Monster Hunter.
    "playing"

Most of them are SO terrible at it. Jesus fucking Christ.

Yeah a dude I watch has switched over to charge blade and I thought I was bad at it, holy shit he keeps full vials and gets overloaded never fires them, and he's using a rath cb against fire drakes... Its like "I know cbs get a lot of back seaters, but fuck sake dude you are doing nothing".
    I see a LOT of people going in with Insect Glaive and Charge Blade as their starter weapon, due to some sort of hubris that "I'm using the MOST COMPLICATED WEAPON in the HARDEST GAME" or some shit like that. I'm like "Umm, it's not THAT hard, and you aren't even doing the bare minimum of the not-hard moves".

Honestly I swapped off the charge blade because I felt like personally on my solo hunts I was doing dumb stuff and I ended up tripping over myself to do moves and not getting consistent damage. I've been using the GS and Dual Blades because they are both not super complicated.

I've been thinking of trying the SnS since I made the nergalos set this morning and it does good damage on elemental crit and the SnS has some cool super leap moves now.

Nothing in the game is particularly hard/complicated by most standards. But there are weapons that punish you more for missing and have that added collection/reload mechanic.

Calling the charge blade not complicated is insane to me.

Here everyone, let me explain how to use it and keep in mind none of this is explained in game ever:

Okay so you have a sword and shield. Hit guys until your little empty bottles turn orange but NOT red. The difference is often one attack.
    Hold R2+B to ADD THEM so your little empty bottles are now full.
    Hit X+Y, X+Y, X+Y then AS YOU LOCK YOUR SHIELD real quick hit R2. Don't fuck this up!
    A little shield icon activates and

fuck it i'm done i'm tired of typing the steps because that's just the most basic how do you charge up your shield/axe i didn't even talk about any sort of move
    Is it X+Y or Y+B? At any rate, Streamers fucking up the basic stuff is 1) a staple of video game streaming 2) pretty much all the Monster Hunter streams out there.

I guess it is Y+B my bad. Anyway, that is a hard weapon to use. I might just go to the Switch Axe which has mechanics but is not complicated. Go into sword mode, use many attacks, when out of juice go back to axe for a bit. Repeat.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    How is PETA even on people's radars as a hate object

PETA is such a tiny and trivial organization

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a peta ad outside of some jpg compressed 2004 photo of a guy wrapped in plastic to protest meat being posted on Imgur or something for mockery
    How are Tumblrinas even on people's radars as a hate object? Or reddit redpillers? Tiny and trivial amounts of people can disproportionately represent themselves through being loud and annoying. Signal repeating and reinforcement is part and parcel of the modern Internet.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Pre-fried chicken

zauvn5kg4w7x.jpeg

I mean, it's not like you can't bread and fry free range or organic chickens instead of caged

but in the case of literally every chain restaurant, picture is probably accurate yeah

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I am once again having Milski's Overindulgent Breakfast.

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I have the perception that you work interesting hours, but I am glad you're at least obscenely well fed :D

"Sir Landshark"

I'm sorry to hear work's being a dick again. Did that raise ever get applied, at least? I know more money doesn't buy back your time, but sometimes it eases the pain! >_>

oh yeah the raise went thru at the beginning of the year

and im paid hourly

but I haven't seen my daughter since sunday so

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm glad I got Shadow of the Colossus but also I've been streaming it. Hard Mode actually quite hard!

I will probably never be able to compete with other streamers because I have a day job but it's still fun.

Most of them started with day jobs too. Probably a bit harder to break through these days though.

Still it could happen.

I think I was just surprised yesterday because Shadow of the Colossus remaster has been out since Tuesday. They added some sort of hidden coins to the game. Streamers have already found 72 of them, since yesterday. There may only be 79. And I was just "Welp, I'm never ever going to be able to do that."

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

But I still hate alcohol. And will really only drink heavily on request at special occasions.

I only like sweet shit.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    People have generally been polite about not drinking in my circles. The only one's that haven't have been the ones who drink an absolute ton all the time.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Still it could happen.

If someone influential hosted you would probably be the easiest way.

I'm still confused why I often have a woman with 10,600 followers watching me. I assume for the feet.

• Options

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a peta ad outside of some jpg compressed 2004 photo of a guy wrapped in plastic to protest meat being posted on Imgur or something for mockery
    How are Tumblrinas even on people's radars as a hate object? Or reddit redpillers? Tiny and trivial amounts of people can disproportionately represent themselves through being loud and annoying. Signal repeating and reinforcement is part and parcel of the modern Internet.

Especially when disagreement pumps the signal just as much as agreement.

Thanks facebook.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    PETA and Greenpeace are actually annoyingly loud in Victoria because Victoria has an active harbor and ongoing debates about fishing and sea pollution.

Some of those debates are genuine and worth having, but those PETA and Greenpeace yoyos add nothing to the conversation but noise.

• Options
    People have generally been polite about not drinking in my circles. The only one's that haven't have been the ones who drink an absolute ton all the time.

I think some people are hypersensitive and might find offense where none is intended. But also many people are dicks. The only people I've seen harass people for not drinking were already dickheads about everything.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Charge Blade is and Insect Glaive seem substantially more complicated than most weapons.

• Options
    I am once again having Milski's Overindulgent Breakfast.

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I have the perception that you work interesting hours, but I am glad you're at least obscenely well fed :D

"Sir Landshark"

I'm sorry to hear work's being a dick again. Did that raise ever get applied, at least? I know more money doesn't buy back your time, but sometimes it eases the pain! >_>

My hours are generally a standard 9/80 (but 6:30 to 4:30 to beat traffic) and I don't work too much overtime, being salaried. So its not bad, I just post when I go to turnarounds (which I volunteered for last year so I got an extra month of it).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

That was definitely a special occasion.

• Options

Still it could happen.

I think I was just surprised yesterday because Shadow of the Colossus remaster has been out since Tuesday. They added some sort of hidden coins to the game. Streamers have already found 72 of them, since yesterday. There may only be 79. And I was just "Welp, I'm never ever going to be able to do that."

You don't have to be a powergamer to get views. You just have to be engaging.

I've been watching Northernlion. He just makes dad jokes and plays poorly.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

So alcohol was always a substitutable beverage associated with food.

Are you American?

Canadian. Grandparents immigrated from Italy.

Ah, interesting. I was just wondering because I know English-speaking alcohol consumption is different from some other regions, and, at least in the US (I suspect Canada too), alcohol is a thing you drink lots of in college because everyone else is*.

*everyone thinks everyone else drinks more than they actually do, so they drink more to compensate, it's a hilarious and deadly psychological phenomenon.

Binge drinking culture is pretty universal in the English speaking world and outside it as well. US overall still tends to drink less than a lot of English speaking countries.

I technically never binge drink

But it also feels kind of close to my drinking style

I mean, have you at least tried not being a little baby and doing some keg stands though

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    People tend to be enormously dickheaded towards non-drinkers in any social scene where drinking alcohol is socially normative

Bars, nightclubs, parties, etc.

In particular if you are being directly offered alcohol by a host and decline, they often take it as some kind of affront

As someone who doesn't drink for health reasons it's excessively obnoxious, and I do not take the high road when people get shitty with me about it

If worse comes to worse, I explain a) my addiction struggles and b) that alcohol interacts with my meds in such a way that it would take very little for me to literally black out

And I make sure I go into excruciating detail so that they understand just why, no, I can't have "just one drink" >_>

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm at the community gym and there are retired people working out

One couple is dressed in jeans and flannel shirts and they are doing like two seconds on each machine it's adorable

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Does the training grounds not tell you how to charge the charge blade? They give combos for the other weapons.
    How many Streamers actually go to the training grounds?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Stacey I got laid off in December and I had two big trips right after (one was great, one was borderline awful) and I dated a lady for awhile but we didn't bang and I came backa nd started applying for jobs 5x/week which is what you have to do for unemployment. I got good severance but it was a massive pain working through the bureaucracy for it and for unemployment. It's over now but I am still sitting pretty financially with the vacation payout and tax return and everything.

I interviewed at only one place in person, though it's possible I'll go in to CA tomorrow. This place was goofy in several ways but their office was full of dogs and I really wanted to work there just to be done with the stressful job search. They got back to me Monday with a no, said they were pursuing candidates who gave stronger technical solutions in the interview, though they apparently took 10 days to decide so I guess I was close. I was real bummed for a bit but I'm doing better now and I'm real optimistic about CA.

I'm also talking to Pandora and Twitter but I feel like those interviews are going to be real tough and stressful and not fun whereas CA may not be too bad.

sig.gif
  • Options

Still it could happen.

I'm still confused why I often have a woman with 10,600 followers watching me. I assume for the feet.

I watched you play pubg once. I don't remember any feet. You got sexy feet?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

oh man was it super special

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Let's be real: teetotallers can possibly be as annoying as an annoying vegan

My experience is similar to that of a vegan: people treat me like shit out of defensiveness that I’m like, implicitly criticizing their lifestyle. Give me a vegan over a ‘for every cow you don’t eat I’ll eat three lol!!’ person any day. Same thing here.

Comparing just vegan to militantly anti-vegan is unfair

The equivalent is the evangelical vegan who is dumb as rocks. Your PETA people.

If I was locked in a room with one of those and one of the for every cow you don't eat I'll eat three lol people and I had a gun with two bullets I'd shoot myself twice

The point is that there aren't actually that many militant vegans. I've encountered militant vegans but they're pretty rare, and it's been a very long time.

While the opposite, somebody who responds with defensiveness and derision to the mere suggestion that somebody in their presence is vegan, is all too common.

there aren't many militant vegans in general, true

however, if you ever hang out in certain parts of the Northern European radical left, hoo boy

Oh, I bet.

I used to live in Santa Cruz, which is a town that really wishes it was Berkeley circa 1968.

The combination of being a college town, a hippie town, and having a strong culture of political protest meant that you could find aggressive crusaders for just about any left-wing cause.

A lot of my stories about dumb protests gone awry come from Santa Cruz.

And, yeah, I met militant vegans there. Usually college kids who felt like they were changing the world by harassing customers outside of a restaurant.

But not so much after I left.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Still it could happen.

Yeah a big host so that people might actually see you for a few seconds and decide to stick around is a huuuge deal. I guess if I want to grow my stream more I should do more networking. I did get a sea of thieves host once of like 50 people that rapidly dropped down to 20 but that was still pretty cool. And/or get a camera for feet.

• Options

have you tried mallort

I bet you would love it

i'll bring some to east if you're gonna be there

• Options

I think some people are hypersensitive and might find offense where none is intended. But also many people are dicks. The only people I've seen harass people for not drinking were already dickheads about everything.

This is super far from my lived experience, though I drink a lot so it's never directed at me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Longsword is a very simple weapon for the most part. I think there's some magic to air move tech I don't know (are the spirit slashes different if you have the weapon already drawn when jumping?) but for the most part its a hyper simple loop with helmbreaker and counter to mix it up.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    If a weapon combo is presented in a training ground but nobody is there, is it even in the game?

• Options
    How many Streamers actually go to the training grounds?

The training ground doesn't walk you through the incredibly complicated process of how you charge it up over and over, no. It gives you combos and is like "This is a power one!"

• Options

have you tried mallort

I bet you would love it

i'll bring some to east if you're gonna be there

You just have a bottle you're desperately trying to get rid of don't you

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm at the community gym and there are retired people working out

One couple is dressed in jeans and flannel shirts and they are doing like two seconds on each machine it's adorable

GAINZ don't see color, creed, or Age

GAINZ belong to the universal brotherhood of man

• Options

Still it could happen.

Yeah a big host so that people might actually see you for a few seconds and decide to stick around is a huuuge deal. I guess if I want to grow my stream more I should do more networking. I did get a sea of thieves host once of like 50 people that rapidly dropped down to 20 but that was still pretty cool. And/or get a camera for feet.

are you trying to do this as a second job type thing?

I was under the impression that most of the chat stream community was just into it as like a way to hang out with their internet friends

growing beyond chat would probably take a lot of effort. good luck!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I don't like either anti- or pro EU. I am vaguely and slightly pro-EU, I guess, but I don't actually want full membership

Nor do I want out of the EEC

There's something federalist in all the pro-EU people and they're always, on some level, idealists about it, which I find annoying

And the people who want out completely are, to a man, full of a certain kind of shit and an intolerance for bureaucracy that I find absolutely insufferable because it's tied to populist bullshit that basically goes "I don't see any reason why this dumb thing is like it is, so we should get rid of it" completely discounting the possibility that maybe your ignorant ass just doesn't understand

Aaanyway in all such discussions I can think eat shit, both of you, I'm on the only side that's winning, the status quo, good luck getting the EU question up for debate again

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

oh man was it super special

mods

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

This discussion has been closed.