As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fried Chicken

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Let's be real: teetotallers can possibly be as annoying as an annoying vegan

My experience is similar to that of a vegan: people treat me like shit out of defensiveness that I’m like, implicitly criticizing their lifestyle. Give me a vegan over a ‘for every cow you don’t eat I’ll eat three lol!!’ person any day. Same thing here.

Comparing just vegan to militantly anti-vegan is unfair

The equivalent is the evangelical vegan who is dumb as rocks. Your PETA people.

If I was locked in a room with one of those and one of the for every cow you don't eat I'll eat three lol people and I had a gun with two bullets I'd shoot myself twice

The point is that there aren't actually that many militant vegans. I've encountered militant vegans but they're pretty rare, and it's been a very long time.

While the opposite, somebody who responds with defensiveness and derision to the mere suggestion that somebody in their presence is vegan, is all too common.

They showed up with a gun and a love for all creatures.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    The World lance new mechanics are super low key, but huge quality of life improvements. You can cancel out of a counter attack now, you can hop forwards! The running charge goes superspeed at a certain distance...

But it still one of the least flashy weapons and ignored by many.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't think its fair to compare people who have addiction issues with Alcohol with teatotalers, that feels very unfair.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Boss: I need you working 10 hours a day minimum on this issue until it's resolved

10 minutes later 3 urgent items come in that i need to address today

oh and we have a giant fuckoff snowstorm coming

not a great week

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    veganism has caused problems in my dating life

once a non-vegan partner finds out I'm vegan, they are fairly likely to feel judged regardless of what I say or how I behave

I'm leaning towards dating vegetarians and vegans now, not because I particularly care what my partner eats, but because I am becoming weary of helping partners to work through their defensiveness

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Aegis wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

So alcohol was always a substitutable beverage associated with food.

Are you American?

Canadian. Grandparents immigrated from Italy.

Ah, interesting. I was just wondering because I know English-speaking alcohol consumption is different from some other regions, and, at least in the US (I suspect Canada too), alcohol is a thing you drink lots of in college because everyone else is*.

*everyone thinks everyone else drinks more than they actually do, so they drink more to compensate, it's a hilarious and deadly psychological phenomenon.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Im glad I didnt go through with buying the Shadow of the Colossus remake, its a great game but I got everything out of it I wanted by watching people play it on twitch.

I watched Cryaotic play it for like 2 hours and he struggled so mightily and it was both hilarious and enjoyable

But I'm in the same camp as you - that's all I need to experience, I'm good.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Powerpuppies If you ever gave your situation update I did not see it do to heading to lunch!

demonstacey i did not sorry
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Does it help that my teetotalism is more in the context of being a recovering alcoholic

Like, I identified that I cannot reliably control myself when consuming the substance, so I just don't do it at all now

Does that score me more socially-acceptable points?

I'm not sure I really care, but I AM curious :P

man if anyone says it's not socially acceptable to be a teetotaler they are due for a Bogart-style removal from polite society

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am once again having Milski's Overindulgent Breakfast.

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    one time I went to a popular fried chicken place in Nashville with my road trip buddies but I ordered grilled chicken instead of fried

then my friend asked me why I hate america and also freedom

This seems like a fair question

I regret not getting the breaded, fried version, in retrospect that would probably have been way better

but as a more general reaction to that question my leftist ways might compel me to go 'well, actually. . .'

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    How is PETA even on people's radars as a hate object

PETA is such a tiny and trivial organization

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a peta ad outside of some jpg compressed 2004 photo of a guy wrapped in plastic to protest meat being posted on Imgur or something for mockery

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    kedinik wrote: »
    veganism has caused problems in my dating life

once a non-vegan partner finds out I'm vegan, they are fairly likely to feel judged regardless of what I say or how I behave

I'm leaning towards dating vegetarians and vegans now, not because I particularly care what my partner eats, but because I am becoming weary of helping partners to work through their defensiveness

It makes sense, as a phenomenon, but is still like, ahhh. I actually encountered defensiveness less often than I'd expect, not drinking, but obnoxious "come on maaaaaaaan" behavior more.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Surely you know better than anyone here how annoying drunk people can be, too

There are countless frontiers for being a pain in the ass

They're annoying in, like, a frustrating project at work, annoying. Not annoying like people, because they're not, not really

They're either guests, who are not real people, or they're Not My Problem and then I enjoy them not being my problem

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Boss: I need you working 10 hours a day minimum on this issue until it's resolved

not a great week

Shark as a man about to go on turnaround (12 hours a day every day, one day off every other week) I salute you. We'll die together in the engineering mines.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I don't drink much. Definitely a lightweight, and I prefer just ... not.

That said, there's a game I really want to play: Drunk Quest. Naturally, the game is designed to get you shitfaced. So it doesn't do well for people in my situation.

Last week, I found out they introduced an expansion aimed at making the "Designated Driver" the ref/moderator/GM of the game.

61%2BRqrNyz1L._SY450_.jpg

That's right. You get to control the Porcelain Gods, and fuck with the other players! Woo!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I've never really been able to understand any discussion surrounding alcohol/alcohol culture, as the idea of drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is just completely alien.

Alcoholic drinks were always, in my entire extended family, things which were served alongside food, typically wine, often homegrown grapes that were hand crushed (Italian family). Harder alcohols were served only when company came over, and usually with coffee, or right after supper while everyone's relaxing. Beer was only ever bought by my uncle or dad, being the youngest cohort, and then just before supper or alongside it if they weren't feeling wine.

Are you American?

Ah, interesting. I was just wondering because I know English-speaking alcohol consumption is different from some other regions, and, at least in the US (I suspect Canada too), alcohol is a thing you drink lots of in college because everyone else is*.

*everyone thinks everyone else drinks more than they actually do, so they drink more to compensate, it's a hilarious and deadly psychological phenomenon.

I imagine the difference in my case would probably be that my dad was really the only person to go to university, and only briefly, before myself and my sister. So nobody was exposed to it.

And that the larger extended family wasn't Canadian/American in their upbringing and any perspectives towards alcohol that still dominated most of what I grew up with.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Are you American?

Binge drinking culture is pretty universal in the English speaking world and outside it as well. US overall still tends to drink less than a lot of English speaking countries.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    The World lance new mechanics are super low key, but huge quality of life improvements. You can cancel out of a counter attack now, you can hop forwards! The running charge goes superspeed at a certain distance...

Because it's really hard to shake the perception that you all are a bunch of nancys that hide behind a bigass shield. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I think the issue with Lance is the perception its not a mobile weapon. And from what I've seen of lancers in SOS missions its not even well known among people who use it how to get out of dodge.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also hello Shiv how are you doing today

I like checking in with you because I know some days can suck, but you seem in a decent mood today! <3

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Normally I have enough streamers followed that there's a good variety of things being played that I can hop between whatever I'm interested in.

Literally everyone is playing Monster Hunter.
    "playing"

Most of them are SO terrible at it. Jesus fucking Christ.

Yeah a dude I watch has switched over to charge blade and I thought I was bad at it, holy shit he keeps full vials and gets overloaded never fires them, and he's using a rath cb against fire drakes... Its like "I know cbs get a lot of back seaters, but fuck sake dude you are doing nothing".
    I see a LOT of people going in with Insect Glaive and Charge Blade as their starter weapon, due to some sort of hubris that "I'm using the MOST COMPLICATED WEAPON in the HARDEST GAME" or some shit like that. I'm like "Umm, it's not THAT hard, and you aren't even doing the bare minimum of the not-hard moves".

Honestly I swapped off the charge blade because I felt like personally on my solo hunts I was doing dumb stuff and I ended up tripping over myself to do moves and not getting consistent damage. I've been using the GS and Dual Blades because they are both not super complicated.

I've been thinking of trying the SnS since I made the nergalos set this morning and it does good damage on elemental crit and the SnS has some cool super leap moves now.

Nothing in the game is particularly hard/complicated by most standards. But there are weapons that punish you more for missing and have that added collection/reload mechanic.

Calling the charge blade not complicated is insane to me.

Here everyone, let me explain how to use it and keep in mind none of this is explained in game ever:

Okay so you have a sword and shield. Hit guys until your little empty bottles turn orange but NOT red. The difference is often one attack.
    Hold R2+B to ADD THEM so your little empty bottles are now full.
    Hit X+Y, X+Y, X+Y then AS YOU LOCK YOUR SHIELD real quick hit R2. Don't fuck this up!
    A little shield icon activates and

fuck it i'm done i'm tired of typing the steps because that's just the most basic how do you charge up your shield/axe i didn't even talk about any sort of move

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

not a great week

Shark as a man about to go on turnaround (12 hours a day every day, one day off every other week) I salute you. We'll die together in the engineering mines.

semper fi engineering my friend

see you on the other side

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    How is PETA even on people's radars as a hate object

PETA is such a tiny and trivial organization

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a peta ad outside of some jpg compressed 2004 photo of a guy wrapped in plastic to protest meat being posted on Imgur or something for mockery

They've very vocal and do an okay job of masking some of their gross stuff with popular PR.

• Options
    If you'll notice the overindulgent breakfast and the turnaround tomorrow are connected.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I did recently meet a vegan who, upon learning that I was also vegan, said, "Oh! Great! I didn't know! If I had known, I would have cared more about what you were saying."

I laughed, but also, :rotate:

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I can only speak for the U.S., but an example: At the Christmas holiday party, there is a chance where if you don't drink you will be labeled "not a team player" and won't get promotions.

Even barring such intentional dickery this one is a pain for people who don't drink

Socializing with colleagues is, for p much everywhere, more often than not drinks in a pub. So the people who don't get left out, without anyone doing it intentionally

Which in a lot of ways makes it worse because, while of course malice does a lot more damage, it's a lot harder to do something about unintentional problems

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    If I remember right Aussies are still the biggest binge drinkers of the English speaking countries but that is off the top of my head.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Pre-fried chicken

zauvn5kg4w7x.jpeg

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hmmm.

Normally I have enough streamers followed that there's a good variety of things being played that I can hop between whatever I'm interested in.

"playing"

Yeah a dude I watch has switched over to charge blade and I thought I was bad at it, holy shit he keeps full vials and gets overloaded never fires them, and he's using a rath cb against fire drakes... Its like "I know cbs get a lot of back seaters, but fuck sake dude you are doing nothing".
    I see a LOT of people going in with Insect Glaive and Charge Blade as their starter weapon, due to some sort of hubris that "I'm using the MOST COMPLICATED WEAPON in the HARDEST GAME" or some shit like that. I'm like "Umm, it's not THAT hard, and you aren't even doing the bare minimum of the not-hard moves".

Honestly I swapped off the charge blade because I felt like personally on my solo hunts I was doing dumb stuff and I ended up tripping over myself to do moves and not getting consistent damage. I've been using the GS and Dual Blades because they are both not super complicated.

I've been thinking of trying the SnS since I made the nergalos set this morning and it does good damage on elemental crit and the SnS has some cool super leap moves now.

Nothing in the game is particularly hard/complicated by most standards. But there are weapons that punish you more for missing and have that added collection/reload mechanic.

Here everyone, let me explain how to use it and keep in mind none of this is explained in game ever:

Okay so you have a sword and shield. Hit guys until your little empty bottles turn orange but NOT red. The difference is often one attack.
    Hit X+Y, X+Y, X+Y then AS YOU LOCK YOUR SHIELD real quick hit R2. Don't fuck this up!

fuck it i'm done i'm tired of typing the steps because that's just the most basic how do you charge up your shield/axe i didn't even talk about any sort of move

I loved when a few of the streamers I was watching swapped over to Charge Blade and were listening to chat instructions. Chat, universally, across all of them were like:

*finish explaining everything about how to build phials, charge the shield, then charge the sword*
    "Now wait until he learns about Point Guards :D "
    *everybody chuckles*

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    scientists are always afraid of PETA coming after them and their animal research
    but actually they mean ALF or something similar (the ones who set your car on fire)
    scientists are dumb people

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm glad I got Shadow of the Colossus but also I've been streaming it. Hard Mode actually quite hard!

I will probably never be able to compete with other streamers because I have a day job but it's still fun.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Unless someone else is buying I never have more than 3 drinks.

Birthdays are trouble.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    This bar I go to does smoked wings every other Tuesday and they're the best thing ever the end.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    People tend to be enormously dickheaded towards non-drinkers in any social scene where drinking alcohol is socially normative

Bars, nightclubs, parties, etc.

In particular if you are being directly offered alcohol by a host and decline, they often take it as some kind of affront

As someone who doesn't drink for health reasons it's excessively obnoxious, and I do not take the high road when people get shitty with me about it

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Are you American?

Binge drinking culture is pretty universal in the English speaking world and outside it as well. US overall still tends to drink less than a lot of English speaking countries.

I technically never binge drink

But it also feels kind of close to my drinking style

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

Surely you know better than anyone here how annoying drunk people can be, too

There are countless frontiers for being a pain in the ass

They're annoying in, like, a frustrating project at work, annoying. Not annoying like people, because they're not, not really

They're either guests, who are not real people, or they're Not My Problem and then I enjoy them not being my problem

a job where you aren't paid to be nice to customers, the dream

so envious

*posts 5 angry threads on r/TalesFromRetail*

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    I am once again having Milski's Overindulgent Breakfast.

Two blueberry muffins, a pot of coffee, two eggs over easy, a large biscuit, a half plate of hash browns, and 2/3rds of a pound of hamburger steak covered in cheese. I might get some hummingbird cake or apple pie at the end.

I have the perception that you work interesting hours, but I am glad you're at least obscenely well fed :D

@Sir Landshark

I'm sorry to hear work's being a dick again. Did that raise ever get applied, at least? I know more money doesn't buy back your time, but sometimes it eases the pain! >_>

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    New thread friendship rock! @bloodyroarxx

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

"playing"

Is it X+Y or Y+B? At any rate, Streamers fucking up the basic stuff is 1) a staple of video game streaming 2) pretty much all the Monster Hunter streams out there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I've trained myself to be able to drink a glass of wine socially now.

But I still hate alcohol. And will really only drink heavily on request at special occasions.

This discussion has been closed.