As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[QUILTBAG]: The time for Pride has passed. Now is the time for Wrath.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    apopros of nothing but I saw a baby today and I blew out my cheeks at the baby and the baby blew out their cheeks at me and I think we like

communicated on a deep personal level

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I am late but huge congratulations @credeiki - I hope your new job is everything your old job wasn’t!

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Also very late to the party but well done on the job @credeiki - it all sounds really positive!

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My brother and sister-in-law just revealed to my parents that they're expecting another kid. My mum is very keen to know if it's going to be a boy or a girl, and it's making me weirdly uncomfortable, but I'm too meek to say anything.

There's a show on Netflix called Magic for Humans, which has a great episode centered around "Love".

For one trick, the magician (can't recall his name right now) is asked by some friends of his to do a show at their baby gender reveal party, but they make a huge deal right before to state that gender is a social construct, and no matter the initial gender of the child, that non-binary, gender-fluidity would also be acceptable to the parents and all people present.
    Then he opens the box and out pops a gender studies professor.

This particular episode also happens to feature a few magic tricks done at a puppy party. As in, men who are subbed to their master and wear puppy fetish gear, and act like dogs.

Love takes many forms!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    "I represent the Void. Anything born from I shall be born of the void." *gender reveal balloons come out; they're tiny black holes Bound with runed cords*

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Hahahahahahahah

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't understand either of those posts. I feel like I've missed some cultural thing.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    The joke is that I'm a goth

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    that reminds me of that ole meme

cr333333p-are-you-a-man-or-a-woman-im-a-34441170.png

• Options
    I don't understand either of those posts. I feel like I've missed some cultural thing.

‘Gender reveal’ parties have grown to be hugely popular in the U.S.; usually accompanied by something like cutting into a cake to show blue/pink sponge or opening a box to show blue/pink balloons (yuck).

(If I’ve misunderstood your question and you already know this, I’m sorry! Just I remembered they’re not done in the UK).

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Gender reveal parties are the dumbest thing. Who cares what bits it has! It's a baby!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine who had always been very supportive of gender fluidity, gender identity, and non-binary/non-conforming folks (at least according to shit he would share on Facebook) recently had a gender reveal party for his kid. They did the whole cake cutting thing to reveal pink frosting and everything.

Another friend commented that she was happy for him and his wife, but was a little disappointed that he would promote something like this, which is definitely a problematic thing to celebrate.

His reply was "it's different when it's your kid, and mind your business."

:\

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Janson wrote: »

‘Gender reveal’ parties have grown to be hugely popular in the U.S.; usually accompanied by something like cutting into a cake to show blue/pink sponge or opening a box to show blue/pink balloons (yuck).

(If I’ve misunderstood your question and you already know this, I’m sorry! Just I remembered they’re not done in the UK).

i saw my first one of these in the wild while cycling through the park a few days ago. Well, the preparations going up. Was equal parts horrified and fascinated.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A friend of mine who had always been very supportive of gender fluidity, gender identity, and non-binary/non-conforming folks (at least according to shit he would share on Facebook) recently had a gender reveal party for his kid. They did the whole cake cutting thing to reveal pink frosting and everything.

Another friend commented that she was happy for him and his wife, but was a little disappointed that he would promote something like this, which is definitely a problematic thing to celebrate.

His reply was "it's different when it's your kid, and mind your business."

:\

:(

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    That video makes me feel like a visitor from another planet :|

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    It is very strange to be projecting gender onto a baby, when practically there won't be any difference.

At the same time, I get nervous about coming off as preachy to cis people. Thankfully the new parents I've known don't fixate, but I always make a point not to ask the baby's gender (again, weird thing to be the first question).

• Options
    All of this talk is really reminding me of Revolutionary Girl Utena for some reason... can't imagine why though.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Hrm, I told my wife I wouldn't be comfortable doing any kind of dramatic gender reveal spectacle and she seemed a bit disappointed. She specifically mentioned balloons...

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Instead of gender reveal parties, we could do baby weight reveal parties. Just as stupid, with none of the baggage!

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    It is very strange to be projecting gender onto a baby, when practically there won't be any difference.

At the same time, I get nervous about coming off as preachy to cis people. Thankfully the new parents I've known don't fixate, but I always make a point not to ask the baby's gender (again, weird thing to be the first question).

I am a cis person, and I find it all very strange. I’m also very bothered by the super-gendered gifts and clothes that are given at baby showers. They’re infants. Stop.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    When we had our kid, the gender reveal was in the operating room at the time of birth.

I liked it that way.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    I’m aware that we have designated our kids a gender, but apart from the use of pronouns, Mori and I do our best not to apply stereotypes in any way. When Niko had long hair he was frequently referred to by strangers using she/her pronouns and we didn’t correct people (we also only cut his hair for ease-of-care purposes, because he was not letting me brush/wash it; I do let both kids choose their haircuts/clothes as much as possible). I’ve also been trying to use their names instead of pronouns.
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Grog wrote: »

I am a cis person, and I find it all very strange. I’m also very bothered by the super-gendered gifts and clothes that are given at baby showers. They’re infants. Stop.

And parents also think they’re being ‘gender neutral’ by choosing green/white - no! All colors are for everyone.

I’ve also read that bias against color can form before speech - so, for example, to be truly equal you should be placing all babies in all colors, so they’re not forming any biases because, for example, you never put your baby in pink.

• Options
    baby gowns used to be a thing for all kinds of babies

saw a baby picture of my dad where he was wearing a fancy looking one (apparently he was entered in a few baby beauty pageants? baby boom era thing, I guess)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2018
    There's a photo somewhere of my uncle's christening, he's wearing the traditional flowy white baby gown and my father is sitting next to him. Now my father is four years older than his brother, but in this photo you can barely see him over this honking great Michelin-worthy infant, this bald sumo in a dress.

I wish I'd been there for THAT birthweight reveal party. What a stonker.

tynic on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    Gender reveal parties are the dumbest thing. Who cares what bits it has! It's a baby!

Also, the bits don't tell you whether they're a boy or a girl

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Also, the bits don't tell you whether they're a boy or a girl

Also true!

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Gundi wrote: »
    All of this talk is really reminding me of Revolutionary Girl Utena for some reason... can't imagine why though.
    oh wow there's actually a video explicitly talking about this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxUf38tR-I
    edit: Which I think might hit into the point at why attributing gender to babies is so uncomfortable. It is, probably usually unintentionally, a way to indoctrinate someone who is hardly even a person yet into conservative gender roles in order to conform to an ancient and outdated societal construct. Babies are adorable little lumps of flesh who barely have any cognitive abilities, so the idea that they would even care about gender is absurd.

Gundi on
  • Options
    okay, hear me out

gender reveal party - except a toyota sprinter trueno tokyo drifts on to your lawn and does a shitload of donuts

congrats, it's a speedy speed boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtXVjOmvDY

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    maybe like three of you are gonna get this joke

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gender reveal parties are a self indulgent way for prospective parents to get people to make a fuss over them and give them stuff, they have nothing to do with the baby's gender and little enough to do with the baby itself. I'm glad my wife had no interest in one for our kids and that we agree that they're yucky.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    okay, hear me out

gender reveal party - except a toyota sprinter trueno tokyo drifts on to your lawn and does a shitload of donuts

congrats, it's a speedy speed boy

Yes but also there's compilations of this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8DSFeBqUQ

People are weird.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i really do love Failed Gender Reveal compliations

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Offtopic but..... what's your sigpic from, @I needed a gnome to post. ?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    consentacle, the two player card game about exploring your sexuality for the first time with a new partner and learning each other's likes and dislikes and how to navigate that space safely, and also one of you is a tentacle monster who looks like kang and kodos from the simpsons

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    *swoon* tentacle monster

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gender Reveal Party, but when they check the cupcake there’s a key inside.

“I’d like to play a game.”

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Peen wrote: »
    Gender reveal parties are a self indulgent way for prospective parents to get people to make a fuss over them and give them stuff, they have nothing to do with the baby's gender and little enough to do with the baby itself. I'm glad my wife had no interest in one for our kids and that we agree that they're yucky.

Actually I kind of like them when you phrase it like that

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    That is literally what baby showers are for...

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    That is literally what baby showers are for...

I’m glad my brother and sister just had a normal baby shower

Other people wanted to introduce weird gendered stuff into it and they very steadfastly refused to do any such thing

The theme was owls

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.