As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Just make sure to explore a lot early, before most routes become closed off by other empires expansion. Then focus your aggression on empires that give you either good planets, or access to areas with good planets.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Just make sure to explore a lot early, before most routes become closed off by other empires expansion. Then focus your aggression on empires that give you either good planets, or access to areas with good planets.

The alternate option here is to focus aggression on guys you can turn into tributaries because they've got nowhere left to expand to, especially if they're paying you a bunch of their stuff.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-124-planetary-rework-part-4-of-4.1117775/

Final planetary rework dev diary. Gestal Consciousness will have unique buildings and districts to make sure that their planetary level playstyle will be different from normal empires (with Hive Minds getting tweaks for going wide, and Machine Empires bonuses to going self-suficiant. Habitats will be smaller, but more specialized. Also, he let it drop that number of districts used will affect tech/unity costs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in the camp that's nervous about this. Lots of further complexity added to an area that, I, at least, thought, didn't need it. I trust these guys to eventually make it work out, but this all strikes me very much as tweaking because they can, rather than because there was a gameplay need there.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    I'm definitely in the camp that's nervous about this. Lots of further complexity added to an area that, I, at least, thought, didn't need it. I trust these guys to eventually make it work out, but this all strikes me very much as tweaking because they can, rather than because there was a gameplay need there.

I disagree; the tile and tile-resource system was there, but it almost never led to any interesting decisions. "Is there a resource on a tile? If yes, build something that uses that resource."

Tiles with mixed-resources should have been interesting, but in reality they were just weaker versions of single-resource tiles (e.g., you'd much rather have one tile with 2 energy and one with 2 food than two 1 E / 1 F tiles).

The tile system also meant that there was a fairly small hard limit on the size of a planet.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    As a handy knock on, the new system will apparently make writing an AI much easier. So we should hopefully see less planets with pants on head constructions going on.

• Options
    Massena wrote: »

I disagree, there were a few major issues with the tile system, though most of them didn't show up until mid or late game.

Biggest one was that they AI was never, and likely would never be capable of doing it at anything approaching optimally, which made sectors this horrific mechanic that you tried to avoid at all costs (the fact that in the last update they made it so you could build in sectors without having to take them out first kinda proves this point)

Second is that it got tedious the larger you were. I'll admit that when you were with just 3-4 planets, it was pretty good. But if you were going wide, having to go through *all* your core planets after a new tech to upgrade, and setting up new colonies to be idiot-proof before putting them in a sector got really frustrating really fast, and not in a fun "your vassal are trying to kill you" way.

Finally, I think it will let them be a bit more creative about the kinds of gameplay they can make. On top of what's already in today's dev diary, can you think of how they could have had, for example, playable nomads, with planet tiles? I think they're going to be able to do a lot of things with this new system that they could do, or at least do well, with the old one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Anyone know what this ended up being? Twitter is being a pain at the moment ...

• Options
    Dev stream about the new update. Haven't been able to watch it yet though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently they've updated the Humanoids pack with more portraits

DmbUKwqWwAEjLVh.jpg

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Apparently they've updated the Humanoids pack with more portraits

DmbUKwqWwAEjLVh.jpg

Holy cow, that dude at the top left looks like a younger Gowron, or maybe one from an Empire with stricter grooming standards. Wow.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The previous tile system was so tedious that by mid game I resigned myself to just putting everything in sectors and letting the AI do it's shitty job of it. Playing optimally was not worth all that damn clicking.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Planetary Rework Part 3: Happiness, Crime and Stability

Short version: Dystopian empires where the masses live in horrific conditions kept under control by an authoritarian police state where the higher classes live in opulence are now possible.

A race of bootheels.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face - forever - in space

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Do we have any idea when this patch is coming?

I feel like they're loading up an entirely new game here.

The thread title clearly says Februar... oh.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face - forever - in space

so The Expanse, then

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Apparently they also put out a new patch adding Distant Stars events and bugfixes.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-1-3-patch-is-now-live-with-bonus-content-for-humanoids-and-distant-stars-42f6.1117830/
    #################################################################
    ######################### VERSION 2.1.3 ###########################
    #################################################################

###################
    # Features
    ###################

* Updated the game for GDPR compliance (basically, a once-only popup on first launch of 2.1.3 with some legal text to read and accept, as now required by EU law)
    * Added buttons to view privacy policy from ingame
    * Added new clothes and hairstyles for humans, humanoids, and mammalians
    * Added inscrutable mystery to Distant Stars
    * Added follow-ups for the Atomic Clock anomaly
    * Added event for when an AI empire is close to unlocking the L-Cluster
    * Added some unique diplomacy text for Ketlings
    * Impossible Organism anomaly chain is now also available for Assimilators and Rogue Servitors
    * Impossible Organism anomaly chain tooltips and Special Projects are now more clear on what they actually do
    * We now display Steam rich presence data to your Steam friends, showing not just that you're in game, but also your empire name, their ethics, and game date

###################
    # Balance
    ###################

* The AI Uprising now has drastically increased naval capacity for a few years after forming, preventing immediate bankruptcy due to over-capacity upkeep costs
    * Switched combat disengage chance so that Destroyers and Cruisers now have the highest survivability, followed by Titans and Battleships, with Corvettes coming last. 'Tis better to be the screen-ee than the screen-or
    * Ships with weapons that have very low tracking will now avoid firing on highly evasive target if another, less evasive target is likely to become available soon (ie: Titans should no longer fire their main gun on corvettes if there's cruisers or battleships just outside range)
    * Reduced spawn_chance weights for the Vechtar Zavonia/Mardak Vol Anomaly
    * Lowered chance of Brainslugged leaders, increased Unrest modifier after Brainslugging pops

###################
    # Modding
    ###################

* Move url strings from NDefines::NInterface to code
    * Errors are now logged only once by default, except those logs used in OOS hunting. You can use the "-logall" to log errors every time they appear instead of only once

###################
    # Bugfixes
    ###################

* AI will no longer accidentally try to research already researched technologies
    * Mardak purgers fleets no longer use bouquets of flowers as the warheads of their missiles, and their bombardment can now actually cause damage
    * Fixed the Unbidden Portal being vulnerable while the Extradimensional Invaders still have active Anchors
    * Fixed literally unplayable typos
    * Fixed a case of COUNTRY_UNITY out of sync
    * Fixed an out of sync with COUNTRY_ENERGY
    * Fixed Contingency starbases being so confident in their imposing demeanor that they didn't bother to use their weapon slots
    * Fixed broken text string for the upkeep of gene warrior armies
    * Fixed pacifist description for the ancient mining drones event wrongly referencing your home system instead of the one where the drones were
    * Added game rule exception to allow you to take hostile action against factions that have conquered your planets, meaning situations like the mutant horrors event can now be properly resolved
    * Enigmatic Cache traits can no longer be applied through gene modification, so you can't spam them on all your planets outside the intended scope of the event
    * Fixed Impossible Organism event to allow Nivlacs to be spawned on any planet with free housing, not just the capital
    * Fixed advanced start AI empires not getting all the extra colonies they should start with
    * Added missing loc for when you deny an Awakened Empire's offer of status quo peace
    * Disabling primitive civilizations in game setup will now actually remove most of them, except for certain ones required for events
    * Fixed a non-completable special project that could appear if you have tutorial activated and your first alien contact is a Leviathan
    * Fixed the Scavenger Bot not counting as a leviathan for the purpose of satisfying military faction demands
    * Fixed missing notification event on first entering the "quiet" version of the L-Cluster
    * Fixed a crash related to armies landing
    * Fixed some unneeded spamming of error logs
    * Fixed fire control ship component not working properly
    * Ketlings will now no longer cheekily spawn on shattered worlds
    * Several Distant Stars anomalies that were unnecessarily blocked for hive minds are now available to them
    * Fixed small psionic shields having the wrong stats
    * Fixed incorrect empire names showing up in diplomatic dialogue when a Peace Offer is accepted
    * Fixed OOS when you host a game on a Mac
    Also, we're rolling out a new content upgrade for the Distant Stars Story Pack. The intent of this is to more fully flesh out several of the key anomalies and events in Distant Stars, especially those relating to the L-Cluster. I won't spoil the new content, you'll have to experience it yourself, but we're happy to be able to get this in for our fans. All this new content will automatically be given to owners of Distant Stars.

People are noting that there are new possible outcomes to opening the L-gates in a game.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Also you can now take back your planets after mutants or giants take them over. I've been waiting on that since launch

• Options
    New Dev Diary from last week talking about the new galactic trade system. Sounds interesting.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-125-the-galactic-market.1119230/

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Sooo, galactic teleportation network with poor safety protocols that allow for the transmission of a virus bomb that kills all sapient biological life when?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Sectors are dead. Long live Sectors

Well, not *dead* but now more like de jure lands or states than arbitrarily make forced automation spaces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Basil wrote: »
    Sooo, galactic teleportation network with poor safety protocols that allow for the transmission of a virus bomb that kills all sapient biological life when?

I want this to be a red tech that results in ancient Rouge Servitors that burst through your teleporters and begin acting as friendly elevator attendants, then begin to menace you in some novel way until you're forced to declare war and they're forced to dispach Customer Satisfaction Teams to "address" your "concerns"

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »

I want this to be a red tech that results in ancient Rouge Servitors that burst through your teleporters and begin acting as friendly elevator attendants, then begin to menace you in some novel way until you're forced to declare war and they're forced to dispach Customer Satisfaction Teams to "address" your "concerns"

Obnoxious Soothing Elevator Music?

"Could you stop playing that?"

"AUDIO FREQUENCY PATTERN SHOWN TO REDUCE ORGANIC STRESS LEVELS BY 15.67%."

"Maybe, but I find in annoying."

"ANALYZING... YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE HAS INDEED INCREASED SINCE OUR FIRST CONTACT, COULD YOU BE HAVING HEALTH ISSUES?"

"No, I just can't stand the music you are playing!"

"WOULD YOU PREFER ANOTHER GENRE? BLORG MATING SONGS? HUMAN "GANGSTER RAP"? DISCO?"

"God no, not disco."

"AFFIRMED, COMMENCING BLORG MATING SONGS..."

"What? NO!!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Sectors are dead. Long live Sectors

Well, not *dead* but now more like de jure lands or states than arbitrarily make forced automation spaces.

The faction changes sound promising too.

I'd like it if players had to reckon a lot more with factions' desires, with more active requests/motions from factions that want change, protests, competitive elections, etc

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I pulled this out of my backlog and I remember why it was there. The tutorial is ass. I had to watch a Youtube video to find the Galaxy Map.

How do I get the Science vehicle to survey my own initial system? I can click Survey System but don't know what to click after that. How do I get the Constructor to build a Mining Station in one of my own initial planets?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I pulled this out of my backlog and I remember why it was there. The tutorial is ass. I had to watch a Youtube video to find the Galaxy Map.

How do I get the Science vehicle to survey my own initial system? I can click Survey System but don't know what to click after that. How do I get the Constructor to build a Mining Station in one of my own initial planets?

1) Your initial system starts fully surveyed.
    2) Select the constructor and right click a planet that has a resource but no mining base.

• Options
    New Dev Diary up and is SUPER interesting. It's about the new currency, "Trade Value" and how you have to manually manage trade routes, and how piracy affects it. It's really fascinating, though it looks like it'll add another layer of complexity to the game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-127-trade-value-and-trade-routes.1121266/

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    fucking le guin hype yo.

its gonna be just as big of an overhaul as 2.0 was

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    fucking le guin hype yo.

I'm not so confident that it's going to be all changes that I actually enjoy, though... with the 2.0 dev diaries I was liking everything I was reading about, whereas a lot of these features sound a bit more complicated and/or opaque than I'd prefer.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I haven't looked at this game in a short while but damn a lot has changed. Overall I'm pleased. The more they make you work on internal affairs with your empire the better.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    fucking le guin hype yo.

I'm not so confident that it's going to be all changes that I actually enjoy, though... with the 2.0 dev diaries I was liking everything I was reading about, whereas a lot of these features sound a bit more complicated and/or opaque than I'd prefer.

that's a valid concern. I posit it this way that le guin is offering a lot of things that will come to the forefront for the midgame phase of the game.
    they aren't empire ending crises, I don't want them to be, but I need a brushfire or two after a certain point because... I'm da biggest and its just academic for another 150years. hopefully they will help me keep invested in a playthrough until the end game crisis hits.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The trade changes look cool.

I'm excited to start up my trading snails again

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    fucking le guin hype yo.

It looks more complicated than it is.

The changes to planetary management, for example, make for more meaningful macro-level decisions but far less actual micromanagement. If you actually look at what the dev diaries are showing us, you'll see that the net amount of Shit You Need To Click is way way down. Killing off tiles streamlines things a great deal.

You are making fewer but bigger decisions with internal development in Le Guin. Which is essentially what people have been asking for. Internal development in current Stellaris is just nickel and diming the galaxy to death with small incremental +minerals buildings as you can on as many planets as you can click click click click click. It's all rather rote.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I really love the ideas they've got with trade routes. I was actually pondering trying to mod in a similar system myself, good thing I didn't bother getting that one off the ground >_<

Wiz mentioned in the thread that they currently don't have trading between empires, hopefully with the system in place though it won't be hard to mod in or for they themselves to expand on it in a later system.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    They really go all out with their content and mechanics updates. Major systems changes, adding new features, events, and management. It's pretty incredible that they support the game like this.

I also can't decide if it's good or bad. Obviously it's good to maintain such a large game, but the troublesome part is for casual 4x players like me, I'll take many months off and start up another game and I just have no idea what's going on because there have been major changes. It often feels like they should have given this the early access tag and done the full 1.0 release a bit later than the did.

It's still a really fun game. It's been the easiest Paradox game for me to get into. I still have no idea how to play Crusader Kings 2.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    They really go all out with their content and mechanics updates. Major systems changes, adding new features, events, and management. It's pretty incredible that they support the game like this.

I also can't decide if it's good or bad. Obviously it's good to maintain such a large game, but the troublesome part is for casual 4x players like me, I'll take many months off and start up another game and I just have no idea what's going on because there have been major changes. It often feels like they should have given this the early access tag and done the full 1.0 release a bit later than the did.

It's still a really fun game. It's been the easiest Paradox game for me to get into. I still have no idea how to play Crusader Kings 2.

Like an RPG. Make choices, click on things, and laugh when it all falls apart. Over time, you start to realize what levers push actions.

It’s a niche design choice that reflects Paradox’s odd place in the industry. They are a Slytherin level grognard company that sleptwalk their way into being a Steam mainstay.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    CK2 is great fun.

It is also probably the best game ever for taking things out of context.

"There's a secret Cabal of Jews trying to undermine the Govt!"
    "I've been trying to marry my sister, but nothing is working!"
    "Oh shit, I fucked a horse."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    A fun way to play CK2 is to realize that while you have no idea what is going on, want your neighnoring province but have no idea how to take it, and keep getting hit with unintended consequences and disasters, that’s exactly how your ruler feels too.

And that’s okay. They are going to die soon anyway, and you may get a handle on things by the time hos great-great-grandchild takes the throne.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    CK2 is great fun.

It is also probably the best game ever for taking things out of context.

"There's a secret Cabal of Jews trying to undermine the Govt!"
    "I've been trying to marry my sister, but nothing is working!"
    "Oh shit, I fucked a horse."

What is "breakout session topics at the RNC?"