As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    It'll pass. It's overwhelming and an insanely daunting pile of things to do now, but in reality it's all just a lot of one thing at a time, find a place for this, figure out where you put that, over and over. You got this.

Just get the basics sorted -- a place to flop out and get a decent night's sleep, the clothes and toiletries you need in the morning, a place to charge your phone. Everything else is just settling in to your new home.

It's a process. It's a motherfucker, but it's filled with lots of good little moments. Focus on those and you'll be done before you know it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And if you get a few weeks down the road and it's not working for you, you can always reorganize.

I keep forgetting this and I need to do something in my kitchen soon.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I am so fucking ready for this day to be over. Or for someone to stab me in the fucking heart so I don't have to deal with this bullshit anymore. Fuckin A THOUSAND things to buy because this is our first aapartment, we're not even close to being unpacked.

F U C K I hate moving

Have you had your Moving Beer? It's vitally important that you procure the frostiest, most refreshing beer possible after your first day of unpacking. I think there's a law somewhere. Probably have pizza or a really good burger with it just to be safe.

Also, if you're buying a bunch of stuff for your home, check out thewirecutter.com. They're pretty much the best review site I've found for household items.

I don't drink but I did totally buy a hash pen earlier so :V

We at least have the bedroom and living room set up.

All you need to do is do the kitchen now and then I wouldn't worry about it.

You'll have ask the important stuff out and now if you don't need to unpack it, it is probably a good indicator that you don't actually need it.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really really enjoy assembling IKEA stuff.

We live about ten minutes from an IKEA currently, and that is very, very dangerous for my budget.

I found some curtains on clearance there the other day, so I finally pulled out the shitty sliding doors in the basement closets that were loud, heavy, ugly and only let you access 40% of the closet at a time, then finally got out the sewing machine we got as a wedding present ten years ago but only recently retrieved from storage and managed to figure out how to get it set up so I could hem the curtains to the right length to hang them on a curtain rod over the closets. Felt like leveling up a new skill, so now I’m going around the house figuring out what else I could sew.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Obviously, novelty dick shaped coin purses.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I still can’t believe Mori’s parents harassed us because we weren’t finished unpacking by the third day.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I've lived in my house for two years and the spare room still has a couple of boxes.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Nvm

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I still can’t believe Mori’s parents harassed us because we weren’t finished unpacking by the third day.

I don't trust anyone if they don't have at least one box that never gets unpacked, it just gets moved from home to home for as long as you live.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I don't trust anyone if they don't have at least one box that never gets unpacked, it just gets moved from home to home for as long as you live.

I have whole drawers like that. The stuff has never been used but the drawers have been removed, transported to a new house and then put back with all the stuff still inside twice now.

One day I might need that scart to composite adaptor. Or the power brick for the photo printer that you can't buy the ink rolls for anymore.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still have boxes I have not unpacked when I ended up here nearly 11 years ago I know I moved here basically with the clothes on my back a backpack and a overseas bag
    I will not go into anymore detail of it as I thought that was a very low point of my life

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    A unit and a half of mulch just got dropped in my driveway. My life is going to involve a lot of digging over the next few days if I want to use the garage any time soon.

Fortunately, I've planned ahead and have a more-than-adequate supply of yard beer.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ive learned the value of yard beer pretty quick.

The first real yardwork day I had I was like...I dont wanna drink my good stuff, this sucks.

Always have my case of Maryland law required Natty Boh on hand now.

Also there's been nothing more frustrating than wondering where important stuff is now that most of it's unpacked, and having no idea, yet being able to tell you exactly where that charging cable for a phone I no longer own is - because it's in the same coffee cup filled with odds and ends it's been in for the last 5 years.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Physical labor elevates beer quality, so going lower end on your yard beer is always the right call.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also it's nice to be able to chug a beer and not get tipsy from it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    After being in our house for nearly a year I'm glad others have been in places longer and are not fully unpacked. We're close, but ongoing maintenance on the house and starting big projects have delayed little things like unpacking all my CDs, sorting the random boxes of cables and taking inventory on them, changing outdoor light bulbs that require a ladder, and hanging up any posters or pictures on the walls. Our computer room is a mess because it's usable. The video game room has unopened boxes of things we had shipped to the old house but didn't open because they arrived near our move date. There are unopened Lego sets. And just thinking about it all bums me out which then causes me to have no drive to get any of it done.

However, calling myself out on it just now has convinced me to at least get my damn CDs put away. I'm going to do that after work tonight.

This weekend I hope to make progress on the band practice room. Like real progress, not minor incremental barely noticeable progress.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yardwork is a good excuse for unsweet iced tea and lemonade.

Why waste time with shitty beer?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The maintenance guy at this complex is an odd duck. Is that just a thing for maintenance people?

Also the internet installer comes today!!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The maintenance guy at this complex is an odd duck. Is that just a thing for maintenance people?

Pretty common based on the half dozen or so handymen I've dealt with in my life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Kitty is fine then? Saw your edit.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Yeah. Turns out there's these big fuckin gaps beneath two of the counters, in the corners. I taped some cardboard up so she can't get under there any more. She was hiding down there for like two hours. Little shit. Basically I freaked out super hard and wandered the neighborhood hollering for my cat on the verge of tears while she was napping at home.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Yeah. Turns out there's these big fuckin gaps beneath two of the counters, in the corners. I taped some cardboard up so she can't get under there any more. She was hiding down there for like two hours. Little shit. Basically I freaked out super hard and wandered the neighborhood hollering for my cat on the verge of tears while she was napping at home.

Cats are real fucking assholes.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

This would drive me insane

I know this because I am in the process of being driven insane by the fact that sheri and her mom have a garage full of stuff that has never been unpacked since they moved here 10 years ago.

• Options
    Garden People! I have some tomato plants in raised boxes that all their leaves are curling up, even the flower petals. I have another couple plants in bigger raised beds and they seem to be doing fine. All are planted in the same soil and have about the same soil depth to grow. I'm not sure whats going on. I'm going to get some PH strips tomorrow from the garden store but I was wondering if folks have any ideas.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Garden People! I have some tomato plants in raised boxes that all their leaves are curling up, even the flower petals. I have another couple plants in bigger raised beds and they seem to be doing fine. All are planted in the same soil and have about the same soil depth to grow. I'm not sure whats going on. I'm going to get some PH strips tomorrow from the garden store but I was wondering if folks have any ideas.

Based on my tomater experience, it's either not enough water or too hot. A raised bed especially is harder to keep hydrated. Also I don't know what state/country you're in, but in Texas "full sun" plants like tomatoes MUST be planted in partial shade or the heat will obliterate them.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Based on my tomater experience, it's either not enough water or too hot. A raised bed especially is harder to keep hydrated. Also I don't know what state/country you're in, but in Texas "full sun" plants like tomatoes MUST be planted in partial shade or the heat will obliterate them.

So the ones that are curing are in 1x3 raised beds, and the one that isn't is near the middle of a 4x4 raised bed. I think reading your post that I'll drape some sun shade cloth across the tops of the tomato cages, should help shield them and the soil from the sun during the heat of the day. I think I might buy some hay and put some straw over the top of the soil to help keep the direct sun off of it as well.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

So the ones that are curing are in 1x3 raised beds, and the one that isn't is near the middle of a 4x4 raised bed. I think reading your post that I'll drape some sun shade cloth across the tops of the tomato cages, should help shield them and the soil from the sun during the heat of the day. I think I might buy some hay and put some straw over the top of the soil to help keep the direct sun off of it as well.

Any sort of mulching is a good idea! Helps keep the water from evaporating in the heat, as well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Which reminds me I need to mulch some spots.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Some insect has devoured my sunflowers. Oddly enough, the other plants are fine, but the sunflowers are just a stem now with no leaves.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was at Lowe’s this morning picking up some supplies to set up my kitchen when I received a call from Lowe’s. They said that they were getting ready to load up my fridge when they discovered some minor damage, and did I want to come in and see if I’d accept it for 20% off.

I told them I was about thirty yards away, walked over, and they showed me a tiny dent way down by the floor on the hinge edge of the door. It looked like the fridge got into a fender bender with Ralph the motorcycle mouse.

So yeah, between that and the 10% zombie employee discount, I’ve saved $300 on this appliance. I’m gonna give this delivery so many stars when I get the survey call.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The local children in this complex sure do love sprinting up down the metal exterior stairs.

Sounds like thunder having a fist fight with a truck crashing.

My husband said I sound like an 80 year old yelling about these damn noisy kids. With their zima, their dan fogleberg and their hula hoops.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I
    aae7s8mvlrg6.jpg

Hate
    bhpc01nuzi6v.jpg

Extension
    1mlhzklvtwyt.jpg

Ladders
    1kvdext52bso.jpg

But I'm really excited to finally finish floor to ceiling bookshelves

Edit: this is maybe 25 or 30 percent complete

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Ooooh, those are gonna look good.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so are you gonna just like, keep that ladder there?

or do you have a slidy wooden one like the bookstore guy in beauty and the beast?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    or do you have a slidy wooden one like the bookstore guy in beauty and the beast?

I think it's legally mandated that he puts one of those in.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    There will be a slidy ladder!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fuck shelf liner. I spent like an hour trying to cut it into something approximating neat drawer-sized rectangles and mostly failing. When it came to the cabinets, I realized that they were eleven inches deep and the roll I had was twenty inches wide.

So then I spent about ten seconds cutting the entire roll in half with a kitchen knife, and an additional ten minutes rolling it out into all of my cabinets. It doesn't go all the way to the back of the cabinet, but all the prime real estate is covered. And it looks way neater than the sadness rhombus lurking at the bottom of all my drawers now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hope you got a good way to dust all them book shelves.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hope you got a good way to dust all them book shelves.

Nope!

and if anyone has a problem with it, they're welcome to the cleaning supplies!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Use a canless power duster. Though that does spread the dust around a bit in an open area.

This discussion has been closed.