As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm not too worried about it. Worst comes to worst, I'll use a damp cloth with some lemon pledge and call it a day

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Use the dust as a way to track the movement of items on the shelf, that way you have to leave it there for forensics.

pimento on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Current moving status: triaging surviving toiletries due to beard oil spill. Thank you for your service and farewell, toothbrush.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Nothing worse than a squeaky beard.

I've discovered the one flaw with our new place: awful toilets. They're older low-flow models so they're loud and don't always empty completely. These are definitely getting replaced sooner rather than later.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Swifter dusters are excellent for shelves in general and the books on the shelves. That’s all I use now.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    beard oil?

It's sort of like conditioner for your beard.

It also helps with a scraggly beard with those stray hairs that start shooting up and will help train them to stick closer to your face.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    beard oil?

It's sort of like conditioner for your beard.

It also helps with a scraggly beard with those stray hairs that start shooting up and will help train them to stick closer to your face.

will wonders never cease?!

.... I can't grow a beard

after 2 weeks of super manly Indiana Jones stubble, I go instantly from rugged to mange =(

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tell me about it. I can grow a bitching goatee but the side burn/mutton chop area is too patchy to get a perfect beard going on.

I still try though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    Internet service transfer...complete! I can feel it flowing through my veins!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Baseball sized hail last night. Nothing broken that I can see. Cars were in the garage and no broken windows. Roof? Gotta get someone to inspect it as I have concerns. All the people that park their cars on the street had cracked windows and huge dents this morning. It’s a little over one year ago that my car was totaled by hail while parked at work.

edit: as I’m typing this from work a tornado watch just popped up for my location.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Within 3 hours of listing our old condo we got an offer 7k over our asking price without even seeing the place. Real estate is ridiculous.

• Options
    I am the Escher of dimensional lumber shelving.

pk5tlkqo2wuu.jpg

Almost halfway done. Stopped tonight due to lack of light and mosquitoes

cycjwswvfph4.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You stopped due to a lack of mosquitoes?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How else do you cut wood?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    We've got the keys to our house!

Loads to do, doesn't feel very homely at the moment but a couple of weeks worth of work and it'll be so much nicer.

Just need to budget for everything and clear out a load of rubbish as well.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    We've got the keys to our house!

Loads to do, doesn't feel very homely at the moment but a couple of weeks worth of work and it'll be so much nicer.

Just need to budget for everything and clear out a load of rubbish as well.

I love that feeling when somewhere switches from "someone else's house with your stuff in" to "this is my home."

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Within 3 hours of listing our old condo we got an offer 7k over our asking price without even seeing the place. Real estate is ridiculous.

Today in real estate is ridiculous, we got a note from one of the realtors showing our condo that was basically "Hey, we could smell natural gas in the unit when I was showing it so I turned off the gas to the furnace, might want to get that looked at. Anyway, here's our offer."

I guess "might explode" isn't the dealbreaker it used to be.

We accepted an offer so we are almost done with this whole process.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd take an exploder in a good neighbourhood, sure.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    The new home owner buzz has worn off and now the daunting realisation of how much there is to do in the new house is hitting home.

Ugh, I knew the whole process had gone too smoothly so far.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Welcome to your second full time job.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Feeling better today. Yesterday was ruined slightly by the guy we got in to give us a quote to do the bathroom.

He was pretty rude and condescending and wouldn't listen to what we wanted. He won't be getting the job that's for sure.

Today was much better. My father in law is a builder but he's in the middle of a massive project so he's only free on Sundays.

In the space of a few hours he ripped up all the old skirting boards, two rooms of old floor boards, knocked down a wall and did the prep work for a plumber to move the pipes in the spare bathroom.

The guys a machine.

Me and my wife painted the bedroom and did a few other bits.

Now on to the other hundred jobs left.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I’ve been to Canadian Tire two weekends in a row. This is what being a (Canadian) homeowner is all about.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Welcome to your second full time job.

Oh you don't have kids :biggrin:

Stupid wrong plants keep being the stupid ones that are stupid growing. With the "summer" sun really out recently, EVERYTHING is growing super fast. The big bushes, the wild blackberry, thorny stuff. If only the bugs and deer would stay away from our tomatoes, strawberries, sunflowers and herbs, I'd be much happier.

• Options
    I'm playing a dangerous game here. I don't have a mower, and I don't have shed to put a mower in, and I'm planning to hire someone to mow my lawn for the rest of the summer because it will be way cheaper than buying a shed and a mower, and my cash reserves are low. However, Cox ran cable to my house and hasn't been by to bury it yet, and I don't expect someone getting paid by the lawn to pay especially great attention to any loose cables in the back yard. And if I let someone mow my internet, I probably won't get it back this side of Juneteenth.

There's some sort of really aggressive weed sprouting in my front yard, and it's like two feet high in patches, and if I were still living in Norman, someone from the city would have already mowed my lawn and chopped my internet into tiny bits and charged me $300 for the privilege.

It rained again today. God help me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You can just pull the weeds out. As for the cable, cover it with paving stones and the grass won't be able to grow there, nor will the mower man cut it up.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I am finally moved OUT of the apartment(cleared and cleaned) and moved IN to the house.

A fun discovery; when contemplating why the previous owner had the washer and drier in reverse positions(washer right next to the dryer exit duct and drier right below the hot/cold water taps) it dawned on me when my basement was suddenly partially covered in water; the drainage pipe we clearly forgot to connect! Wee. Got to sweep a pile of water into the sump pump hole so i got to test that that works, and the dehumidifier is humming away. Also the floor is super clean now so thats cool.

I got an extension and a hose clamp and locked those bastards together and fed into the drain pipe and so far so good, no new moisture.

I got a ride on lawn mower as part of the deal wiht the house and i have no idea how to make it go. Time to google some manuals.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    If its newer you'll have to depress the brake while turning the key. Make sure to turn the throttle up and engage the choke to get it to turn over as well.

Have you used many small gasoline tools before? Make sure to run clear premium gas (no ethanol) and check the oil every time before you start.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Spent the last few hours waiting for the flooring guy to show up because it's time to replace the old-ass vinyl in my apartment. I was told to make sure the area was empty, so I did. Except I didn't clear out and move the fridge and oven, because despite there being vinyl in there, none of it is under the appliances. And also I don't own a cooler larger than a backpack.

So now I get to make another appointment after I buy I gigantic fuck-off cooler for a one-time use. Woo.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Central air died.

*sigh*

I hate spending that much money on something that gets used like three times a year.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Spent the last few hours waiting for the flooring guy to show up because it's time to replace the old-ass vinyl in my apartment. I was told to make sure the area was empty, so I did. Except I didn't clear out and move the fridge and oven, because despite there being vinyl in there, none of it is under the appliances. And also I don't own a cooler larger than a backpack.

So now I get to make another appointment after I buy I gigantic fuck-off cooler for a one-time use. Woo.

Can they just unplug it for the short time it's moved? Or plug it in with an extension cord?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    ugh. My washing machine broke. It seems to have lost the ability to spin and won't drain. It spit out an error code that the manual tells me means "won't drain". As if I needed the machine to tell me that.

I had to take all my clothes out, rinse them in the sink to get the detergent off and then wring them and throw them in the drier.

Then clean all the water off the floor and out of the machine itself.

I'm having bad luck with appliances in the last couple months.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Sounds like a busted drain pump (it won't spin if it can't drain) or something in that area. I've not tried it, but it might not be too hard to replace if you can get the part.

• Options
    Could also be something simple like a clogged filter. There's a tiny little panel at the bottom of the front of our washer that holds a little mesh filter that regularly fills up with pennies, lint and other rubbish that if I don't clean it out causes the entire machine to stop halfway through a load.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Can they just unplug it for the short time it's moved? Or plug it in with an extension cord?

Yeah a fridge should definitely have wheels so you can roll it out of the way and as long as you don't open it it'll be fine for several hours unplugged because fridges are literally just giant coolers

You could even throw some ice in there if you were really worried

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    New roof is finally done! Huzzah, I am now through all my hurricane repairs from Irma.

Just in time for the next one (probably)

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Yeah a fridge should definitely have wheels so you can roll it out of the way and as long as you don't open it it'll be fine for several hours unplugged because fridges are literally just giant coolers

You could even throw some ice in there if you were really worried
    This is true, since I'm used to not having power (hurricane season!) and trying to preserve what I have.

That said, the issue isn't really the food, but more the fact that my kitchen is a matchbox and getting either the fridge or the oven out requires a level of gymnastics I'm not really in shape for. I'll be heading down to the office today to talk to them about it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Why are you responsible for moving the appliances? I can see the office asking you to empty the fridge, but having you move it just asking for problems if something gets damaged or someone gets hurt.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Why are you responsible for moving the appliances? I can see the office asking you to empty the fridge, but having you move it just asking for problems if something gets damaged or someone gets hurt.
    Hence the going down to the office.

I didn't think it had to be moved in the first place, which is why the first appointment was cancelled. Now that I've re-scheduled, I need to talk to them and find out what I have to do exactly, and if they're responsible for the appliances or I am.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.