As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Could also be something simple like a clogged filter. There's a tiny little panel at the bottom of the front of our washer that holds a little mesh filter that regularly fills up with pennies, lint and other rubbish that if I don't clean it out causes the entire machine to stop halfway through a load.

This is good thinking as a first step. I opened it up and cleaned the filter - it was pretty clogged.

Now i have to figure out how to test that this solved it without just running a load of laundry. If it fucks up i dont want to deal with a machine full of water again. I guess run a rinse cycle with nothing in it? Or maybe put in a small amount of water myself and then start a "drain" cycle. Thats probably the best bet.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    There should be a way to trigger a test cycle. Some combination of buttons and it is usually in the manual.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I get the distinct impression that the neighbours didn't like the person we've bought our house from.

We've been working on the driveway for the past few days, getting rid of weeds, bushes and tidying it up. My father in law has also removed part of the wall.

We've told one neighbour about our plan to replace the knackered fence panels on our adjoining boundary and she was very happy about that.

Out of the neighbours we've spoken too were the youngest on the street by a good 25 years.

Hopefully by the end of next week the majority of the flooring/carpet will be done, the new fence and gates will be done, annoying pipes will have been moved and a good portion of the painting done.

Soon it'll actually feel homely.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    so. I did some further testing. Discovered a "test operation" mode in the maintenance manual. The drain pump is definitely fucked. It makes a horrible grinding noise. So, at least the motor probably works, but the impeller is probably broken.

Will have to look into how much repairs would cost vs buying a new one. Really don't want to spend money right now.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    New roof is finally done! Huzzah, I am now through all my hurricane repairs from Irma.

Just in time for the next one (probably)

Any final photos of the Encmire? Is it really even a mire anymore?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    For the first time in my life, I have contracted a pair of teen strangers to mow my lawn all summer for a laughably small sum. Like, I pay significantly more every month for streaming services than I'm paying these chump kids to never push a mower again.

Is this what it feels like to be part of the ruling class? Because now I'm just looking for more ways to include minions in my day-to-day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Speaking of hiring strangers, I am going out of town for a week and hired someone advertising on kijiji to check in on my pets. She seems legit and works for an animal hospital and I’m sure it’s fine but I’m still hyper aware that I’m giving a spare key to someone I don’t know. If my entire house is burgled, everyone will be like “wait you gave a key to stranger from kijiji and then left town for a week?! What were you thinking?”

I know her name and phone number and where she works so it’s probably fine. Right? Right?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So at almost 2 years to the day, we are selling the house so that we can move to Florida. It’s a long story but it’s time to help my sister with our elderly parents. So real estate agent that helped us buy the house is helping us sell. We met yesterday and went over the details. She is sending a stager to go over the house with us. I need to pressure wash the outside, sod the backyard and get a professional cleaner to clean the house. We are trying to be ready to list in two weeks. This is more stressful than buying!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The overgrown trees in my backyard hear the soft chime of an elevator. They turn from their daily lives of blocking all sunlight as the doors open, revealing a sawed off limb cut into multiple pieces.

A note is attached.

NOW I HAVE A RECIPROCATING SAW

HO-HO-HO

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It's rude to remove dried clothes from a dryer even though it's been sitting inside dryer for a few hours, right?

I really need to get my god damn laundry done, but I don't want to be a dick.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Nope, go for it.

I will wait one full cycle, but that's being generous.

• Options
    It is widely accepted laundromat etiquette that if you leave your clothes in the dryer for an extended period of time, other people are allowed to move your clothes to a clean surface such as a folding table in order to free up the dryer. A few hours is way over that line.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    15 minutes is too long tbh

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    It's rude to remove dried clothes from a dryer even though it's been sitting inside dryer for a few hours, right?

It's rude to take other people's stuff out of a washer or dryer whilst it's running a cycle, but once it's done? Nah dude, whip that stuff out (carefully) and put it on a clean bench or something, and chuck your stuff in.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

It's rude to take other people's stuff out of a washer or dryer whilst it's running a cycle, but once it's done? Nah dude, whip that stuff out (carefully) and put it on a clean bench or something, and chuck your stuff in.

You think it's tres chic to nick people's clothes here and go to yonder goodwill for some cash

It was just sad to see them vulture like in the laundromat circling.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    The framing is almost (finally) complete for the band practice room. Ran into a problem I couldn't solve by myself because I only have 2 arms. My dad was able to come over yesterday and help out and now only one wall needs done. This is the wall which will contain the door frame so I'm sure it's going to be a pain in the ass. The goal is to complete that next weekend. After that I get to do some easier stuff. Run some electrical and put up some insulation. Then comes hanging the mass loaded vinyl which will probably be a massive pain in the ass. Then the drywall guy comes and does his thing. Then I lay down the flooring and start hanging up sound absorption materials and we're good to go. I hope so anyhow.

This weekend we also did some clearing of clutter and putting things in their proper places. Felt good. The game room is now free of excess junk. Unused areas of the basement however are collecting excess junk. Most of it we're stuck with until the next time the city does it's e-recycling weekend again. The rest needs cataloged and stored.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    nu6vg9aqyuof.jpeg

Carpet people have finally started, the wooden laminate will be delivered tomorrow for downstairs.

Wife says the colours go together very well.

We're finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, though there's lots still to do it no longer seems insurmountable.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's always the case. When I was working for a house-flipping company during University summers you'd feel like you were stuck with the house in limbo for weeks on end - then something would flip and it'd be suddenly finished.

Even something like just having the carpet down means you suddenly stop seeing the rooms as bare and start seeing them as functional spaces.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah. We're just starting the process. My wife is expecting the addition to be a stable, steady amount of weekly progress.

And we just got the permit approved, so the GC calls and says, "Hey, someone is coming to tear down the deck Saturday and we start excavation on Monday. Hope everything is moved."

Hahahaha. Shit.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Had my worst morning in a while.

Got up, realized that I had forgotten to change over the washing machine's contents to the dryer before going to sleep. Great, now I have to hope that my clothes dry enough before I have to leave for work.
    I start transferring things over to the dryer, get down to the bottom socks and underwear.
    One thing left in the washing machine, reach to grab it. Hand gets halfway there before being pulled back in disgust.
    The last thing in the washing machine is a dead, likely drowned, mouse. -_-

I want to say that I was less disgusted and freaked out and more angry, because there was no way in hell I was going to wear any of the clothes I had just taken out of the washing machine, and I had to tear apart my room looking for even one piece of clean underwear.

Will bleach the washing machine as much as I can when I get home and then re-run the laundry -_-
    Thankfully it looked like the mouse was still intact, and couldn't see any blood stains around.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Getting ready to list the house in two weeks. So last night I installed a second NEST for the downstairs. Was so simple to do that I’m mad I paid $60 to have someone do the upstairs one two years ago.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Had my worst morning in a while.

Got up, realized that I had forgotten to change over the washing machine's contents to the dryer before going to sleep. Great, now I have to hope that my clothes dry enough before I have to leave for work.
    I start transferring things over to the dryer, get down to the bottom socks and underwear.
    One thing left in the washing machine, reach to grab it. Hand gets halfway there before being pulled back in disgust.
    The last thing in the washing machine is a dead, likely drowned, mouse. -_-

I want to say that I was less disgusted and freaked out and more angry, because there was no way in hell I was going to wear any of the clothes I had just taken out of the washing machine, and I had to tear apart my room looking for even one piece of clean underwear.

Will bleach the washing machine as much as I can when I get home and then re-run the laundry -_-
    Thankfully it looked like the mouse was still intact, and couldn't see any blood stains around.

probably drowned, so that's something.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Almost done

One shelf is cockeyed and damned if I'm fixing it

chsi3x7i1jt4.jpg

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah it was whole and likely just drowned, so that's a goodish thing.
    I usually leave the washing machine lid closed, so my best guess of how it got in there was either that my cat had killed it without disemboweling it and left it on the floor (she's done that before), or a live mouse was just hiding under some clothes I had lying on the floor. When I scooped up all my clothes it got picked up as well and drowned in the wash :/

I feel bad for the mouse, and wish I could have just caught and released it outside a ways from my house, and now I have to hope that there aren't more mice, though there probably are. -_-

The joys of living in a century+ old house.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It's starting.

n4fqh2dfjq4e.jpg

Basically going to add another two stories from where the deck has been cut down to the end of the house.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's starting.

n4fqh2dfjq4e.jpg

Basically going to add another two stories from where the deck has been cut down to the end of the house.

How much of all of that is going to be your gym?

• Options
    My landlord just messaged me asking if he could show the apartment tomorrow, and asked "if it is in a condition to be shown"

Am trying to think of a tactful way to say "well it looks a fuckton cleaner and nicer than when you rented it to me, so ..."

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    My landlord just messaged me asking if he could show the apartment tomorrow, and asked "if it is in a condition to be shown"

Am trying to think of a tactful way to say "well it looks a fuckton cleaner and nicer than when you rented it to me, so ..."

fucking lol

I'd probably say it just like that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    "Quantities of ambient cat piss have significantly decreased"
    "It's now been dusted within the last decade"

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yes but what about the non-ambient cat piss.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I just installed an incontinent cat sprinkler inside the front door.

tynic on
  • Options
    Update: one of the people who wanted to move in has a three year old, and that's how I found out there's lead in the walls!

:rotate:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Nice, keeps out those government mind control rays!

bowen on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    *note: sarcastic awesome

• Options
    Mmm. Wall candy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Update: one of the people who wanted to move in has a three year old, and that's how I found out there's lead in the walls!

:rotate:

There goes everybody's favourite game of lick the wall

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    speaking of landlord bullshit

"can I show people around the house at 3 today"
    "No. All I requested of you is that you give me a day's notice if people were coming. I didn't say I had to be there (which many tenants would), so I think I've been pretty reasonable. Not only would I like to tidy up in advance, I have portable electronics there which I would have taken to work if I knew strangers were going to be in the house."
    "... would it make you feel better if I was there?"

Ok first off, asshole, I was assuming that yes you would be there if you were showing people around. Secondly, no, it really doesn't - unless I give you some elaborate instructions about the best hiding places for my shit, which is stupid and I don't want to do that.
    Mostly, I don't want strange people being given the opportunity to assess how easy the house is to break into, and a good eyeful of the sort of loot they can get away with if they do. I can't believe i have to explain this to you, a person who owns several houses. Hey motherfucker, I know where you live! How about I bring some friends over and we'll let ourselves in, sound good?

I somehow managed to say some of the above without using any swearwords, but now I'm in a goddamn shitty mood and I just snapped at the undergrads (who admittedly were goofing off loudly in a shared office, but normally I would have been able to ignore it).

• Options
    I am really uncomfortable with his implication that he isn't with them while showing them around.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I am really uncomfortable with his implication that he isn't with them while showing them around.

seriously. Unless he was just reassuring me that obviously he wouldn't be doing that, but ... no duh?

anyway I hate feeling like the bad guy, I hate damaging my relationship with a landlord, and I hate being forced into that position by him putting his own convenience above everything else. Yes, I get that you want to lease the apartment asap. Well if there wasn't a carpenter ant infestation, a basement that floods once a year, windows and built-in drawers that can't be opened, horse hair spilling out of the plaster, and fucking lead paint on the walls, MAYBE I would have considered renewing the lease. So SORRY this is slightly inconvenient for you, a person who rakes in $2.5k a month from this property, and not me, a person who has to organize a new apartment and a whole move in Boston at the end of August.

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    and a whole move in Boston at the end of August.

Ugh, I have dealt with this experience and.... well, good luck. There is nothing remotely fun about it. Hope you find something good and reasonable!

This discussion has been closed.